• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I should've been specific. How do you ukemi (doesn't look like this is possible), and how do you counter throws?

I am so freaking excited for Project M. I went to spectate at a tournament and I got play this little gem. Love what they're doing and the Din's Fire change to Zelda is genius.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
You can't ukemi in Guilty Gear. There is a set wake-up time. You can air-tech by pressing any button. The throw break is, like, three frames or something like that. So, you don't really tech throws. I have. ONCE. And it was because I tried to throw someone.

Good luck. :3c

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Thanks. I was trying to find combos with Bridget last night and I noticed I was able to continue a combo when my training dummy bounced off the ground and I noticed I could never ukemi no matter what I tried.

Yoshara

Smash Lord
Yeah, throw teching is pretty much only when you predict a throw and input it at the same time as your opponent.

On the subject of Ukemi http://dustloop.com/guides/ggac/data/teching.html . That will explain it better than I can.

Also the result of the way the teching (Ukemi) system works, ends up making ending on oki really important (ie; Sol could go for 4 sidewinders in his sidewinder loop but it would be smarter to go for 3 and end with Bandit Revolver > FRC Gunflame).

Minato

穏やかじゃない
and how do you counter throws?
I already told you this up above. And just do it like it's Super Turbo and tech when it looks like a throw is coming.

And just like in 3rd Strike, if you tech at the exact time, you and the opponent will be in a neutral state.
If the tech worked but you were a little bit slower on the tech, you'll break free but will be put at a disadvantage since you'll be recovering from the throw break slower than your opponent.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Last update was on December 21st, 2010. It's not dead, it's just taking a long time.

Well, it is a fan-made game. Can't expect perfection, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look like a solid fighter.
It's taking a long time (years) with barely any noticeable progress = vaporware.

and you'll be damned.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Considering that this is a doujin fighter, I can imagine that they don't have a whole lot of time to work on the project all the time. Surely, they have jobs and other personal duties to take care of.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Considering that this is a doujin fighter, I can imagine that they don't have a whole lot of time to work on the project all the time. Surely, they have jobs and other personal duties to take care of.
This. Japanese Wal-Mart works its employees even harder than American Wal-Mart.

So, how bout that CvS2?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Neo vs Clockw0rk is amazing.

Almost every match has something that's the equivalent of an EVO moment in it.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
For Smash a $15 MM is a big deal.

The commentary on Neo vs Clock was great too. Clock definitely proved that he is not a washed up old veteran.

Dogface: "Justin, not a lot of people know this, but you and Daigo are actually best friends IRL."
Justin: "Yeah, me and Daigo we hang out all the time, we go on walks in the park together, no homo. I gave him his first Ryu headband."
Dogface: "Oh is that what they call it now?"

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Earlier tonight at West Coast Warzone 3, Neo and Clockw0rk had a $15,000 first to 15 MM. Clockw0rk had a strong early lead against Neo, who was playing Matrix instead of Santhrax, but Neo switched back to his regular team and won a close but convincing 15 games to 12.

The matches were incredible to watch and they showed incredible skill from both players. There were comebacks all over the place, including Clock winning a couple matches with just Doom or Doom/Sent to one game that Neo one by taking out a weakened Doom and Sentinel with Captain Commando.

I'm sure it'll turn up on Youtube in a few days, or at the very least the stream will be archived.

cutter

Smash Champion
I don't think it was a coincidence that a fair number of the matches Clockwork lost were when he started with Strider.

But yeah, Neo's comeback with a bare CapCom against both Doom and Sent was INSANE.

I'm glad Strider and CapCom got the attention they deserved. One last hurrah before MvC3.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm sad that I missed the stream. I was looking forward to it and kept checking back but the stream kept saying "off air" and stuff.
Oh well, I guess I'll just watch it all once IPW or whoever uploads it onto YT.

Also, I want to play some SWF members in MvC2 before MvC3 hits since I'm guessing I'll be focusing on 3 more once it's out.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Earlier tonight at West Coast Warzone 3, Neo and Clockw0rk had a $15,000 first to 15 MM. Clockw0rk had a strong early lead against Neo, who was playing Matrix instead of Santhrax, but Neo switched back to his regular team and won a close but convincing 15 games to 12.

The matches were incredible to watch and they showed incredible skill from both players. There were comebacks all over the place, including Clock winning a couple matches with just Doom or Doom/Sent to one game that Neo one by taking out a weakened Doom and Sentinel with Captain Commando.

I'm sure it'll turn up on Youtube in a few days, or at the very least the stream will be archived.
sad to hear he lost though. Oh well can't wait for the footage to pop up though sounds intense.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I don't think it was a coincidence that a fair number of the matches Clockwork lost were when he started with Strider.
Well Strider's best matchup against the top tiers is Sentinel (because of the infinite, Sentinel's big hitbox is easy to trap, lack of runaway ability compared to Storm, etc), who Santhrax players rarely start with (so they can DHC to Storm). Most of the times the match started as Strider vs Sent, it went to Clock's advantage. Clock had to work a lot harder to get wins when it started as Strider/Storm or Sent/Sent though since Storm does a better job of both rushing down and running away (though running away didn't help Neo much in the match and he started doing better when he stopped running away).

TBH, it kind of seems like the dramatic increase in MSP and Santhrax players over the past few years has led people to forget how important selecting a starting character can be. Obviously in MSP you want to start with Magneto, with Santhrax you usually want to start with Storm, and with a Cable team you want to start with whoever can build meter the best (or just start with Cable if you're playing Team Scrub). Not that I'm saying this is a bad thing, but it really is something to think about.

Also, I want to play some SWF members in MvC2 before MvC3 hits since I'm guessing I'll be focusing on 3 more once it's out.
So do I, but idk how well I can do the Spiral/Sent trap online. Hell, I can barely get it down frame-perfect offline. After a while my hands start to get tired or I lose the links and my opponent jumps or tags out.

cutter

Smash Champion
Well Strider's best matchup against the top tiers is Sentinel (because of the infinite, Sentinel's big hitbox is easy to trap, lack of runaway ability compared to Storm, etc), who Santhrax players rarely start with (so they can DHC to Storm). Most of the times the match started as Strider vs Sent, it went to Clock's advantage. Clock had to work a lot harder to get wins when it started as Strider/Storm or Sent/Sent though since Storm does a better job of both rushing down and running away (though running away didn't help Neo much in the match and he started doing better when he stopped running away).
All good points. I probably should have emphasized that it was the Strider vs. Storm opening that resulted in quite a few direct losses for Clockwork. Neo would land a poke, launch with Storm, and if he had two bars, Strider was done. Or at the very least, Strider would be on life support and Clockwork would have to do DHC him out or do some clever raw tagging.

****... even Strider looks like a tank compared to Phoenix.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Messing around with Guilty Gear again. I'm finding some new things with Bridget like you can use j.HS as a jump momentum cancel and his flying to his yoyo can do the same thing. I'm gonna have a lot of fun discovering just what else he's capable of.

I wonder if I should play Project M extensively so I can get a better feel for this game.

Top Bottom