• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Is there a release date for AH3 on PSN? Or even like a ballpark estimate?

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
lol, I have no problem with PS3. I don't like the controller for fighting games at all though. Arcana Heart 3 has assualted me. I am salty.

I wonder if it has anything to do with sales from Japan in which case, as someone on SRK pointed out, that is stupid because there were a lot of sales overseas on PS3 only because it's region-free.

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
Oh, so probably April or May then. I doubt they'd release it around the same time as MK.

This is just pathetic. Everyone knows that the correct way to troll PS3 owners is to point out that PS3 has
no games

But to be fair,

Incredibly hilarious

I have to go with the D-pad for ps3 with fighting games. Even the "new and improved" xbox controllers still has a crappy d-pad playing SSFIV is awful.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Played a fair number of rounds of SF III:3s and 4 today.
I still haven't fully grasped Parrying yet, can anyone shed some tips and tricks?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Learned how to punish Okami Shuffle with a few hypers.

Good to know because I hate the safety of that move.

Minato

穏やかじゃない

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
What do you expect? Ono said the same thing, niitsuma's obviously on that track, heck, even Sakurai said that same ****. Games are getting scrubbier (and less enjoyable imo...) every ****ing day and I think the devs are stabing themselves in the heart because they aren't catoring the people who play the game competitively, but to the people who ***** and moan and never want to learn how to play a game, and actually never learn the game 80% of the time.
I saw that yesterday. I hope it isn't true, too many SF2 characters.

Atlus8

Smash Master
What do you expect? Ono said the same thing, niitsuma's obviously on that track, heck, even Sakurai said that same ****. Games are getting scrubbier (and less enjoyable imo...) every ****ing day and I think the devs are stabing themselves in the heart because they aren't catoring the people who play the game competitively, but to the people who ***** and moan and never want to learn how to play a game, and actually never learn the game 80% of the time.
Pretty much this!

A new GG would most likely be that, a game catered to less experienced players! I would luv to see a new GG, but if it's going to turn out into something like MvC3 then idk . . .

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Tell me again how fighting games are getting scrubbier. Like compare pre-SFIV and post-SFIV. I will agree that some games out there are getting too easy.

That being said, simplifying some things isn't a bad that, especially if streamlining some mechanics allows for you to throw in more things that expand the overall system.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I still honestly don't think SF4 is really scrubby. It is at low level butttt the better you get the harder it gets. Unless you're playing guile.

But yeah.

Melee to brawl
GG to BB
ST to HDR
MvC2 to MvC3
3S to SF4 (kinda)

Idk about AH, KoF, and Tekken if anyone knows if they're easymode compared to the previous games tell me.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Melee to Brawl is something everyone can agree on, but what is that made each of these other games "scrubby"? Was it more leniency on inputs, stuff scrubs can spam and win (unless the opponent is smart enough i.e. Blanka Ball), etc.?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
By scrubby I mean easier, maybe I should just use that word instead.

That's basically what I'm saying. Everything is just easier. And I don't like things being easy for people who aren't going to be good anyways (because they're lazy). And it seems like it's going downhill. Sooner or later games are going to all be like brawl where it takes no execusion what so ever and i think the competitive scene might just dissapear.

And from what i've seen the easier the game is, the faster the metagame. I mean look at MvC3, 100% combos are already thought out and do their jobs for the most part. What's the point of moving forward and doing harder combos when there's already simple combos that do it's job? And also, again from what i've seen, the faster the metagame the smaller the lifespan.

But idk, different strokes for different folks I guess. Some people just like easier games i guess.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Melee to Brawl is something everyone can agree on, but what is that made each of these other games "scrubby"? Was it more leniency on inputs, stuff scrubs can spam and win (unless the opponent is smart enough i.e. Blanka Ball), etc.?
GG to BB - Removed techniques and ideas like FRC, Slash Back, and (maybe) Jump Install.
Game is slower and more floaty. Combos are longer but easier to do. BB is slower than BB and more floaty.
IMO, I don't consider BB super scrubby to GG, but the learning curve and combos are much easier though. BB did implement new and somewhat interesting mechanics that are good in CS. I just find the game boils down to really strong combos more so than GG.

ST to HDR - Game is slower, inputs seem to be more lenient (it could just be me), input changes made things way easier for things to be executed, some unnecessary balance changes.
Input changes/shortcuts make the game more "scrubby", and so do the balance changes to the game in a way.

MvC2 to MvC3 - Air teching makes it easier to escape out of resets, switching out characters is much safer than MvC2, X Factor allows easy comebacks, etc.
With that being said, I think air teching was a good idea. Lots of characters were helpless against Mags, Storms, IM's, and others' resets. I find air tagging and X Factor unnecessary. So the only real scrubby thing I find in MvC3 is X Factor. Even if it adds strategy to saving it, it's really dumb to be able to negate chip, heal, get faster, and deal more damage. All it takes is 3 guesses to finish off the opponent with level 3 if he has all 3 characters left (2 considering they most likely had XF canceled). MvC3 is slower than 2, and has more lenient combos and inputs.

3S to SFIV - The games are too different, so I'll just compare the things both games had. Both games had short cuts, but 3S had better shortcuts, imo, since it won't cause things to accidentally come out. 3S was scrubby since you can whiff moves to build meter. IV has a huge reversal window and hit confirms are really easy since they involve tons of linking compared to 3rd Strike.

Overall, the only things these all have in common are slower gameplay and easier inputs. Sure I prefer it being faster, but the speed the games are at aren't all that bad. Games have been getting easier but they aren't all that bad when I think about it. I still don't like the idea of comeback mechanics like Ultras and X Factor. It ruins real comebacks that take a lot of effort to earn.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's basically what I'm saying. Everything is just easier. And I don't like things being easy for people who aren't going to be good anyways (because they're lazy). And it seems like it's going downhill. Sooner or later games are going to all be like brawl where it takes no execusion what so ever and i think the competitive scene might just dissapear.
This is something that has irritated me for a long time. People put way too much emphasis on execution. Does it make a difference, from a strategic standpoint,whether a fireball input is a pretzel motion or a 236 motion? If your options aren't gutted, a simpler execution shouldn't make a difference. Brawl's execution requirements or more or less the same as Melee's at an entry level, but by removing the mobility options, you got yourself the crapfest it is. Brawl is an example of how NOT to streamline a game for the better.

IMO, the newer line of fighters is trying to emphasize strategy more than it had been in the past.

Top Bottom