• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
This is something that has irritated me for a long time. People put way too much emphasis on execution. Does it make a difference, from a strategic standpoint,whether a fireball input is a pretzel motion or a 236 motion? If your options aren't gutted, a simpler execution shouldn't make a difference. Brawl's execution requirements or more or less the same as Melee's at an entry level, but by removing the mobility options, you got yourself the crapfest it is. Brawl is an example of how NOT to streamline a game for the better.

IMO, the newer line of fighters is trying to emphasize strategy more than it had been in the past.
And some people need to learn that not everyone just wants to jump into a game and automatically be good at it from a technical standpoint. Ever think there are people who LIKE execution? Obviously there is since there's so many people complaining about games being easy. Execution heavy games are the hypest, flashiest, and the most fun PERIOD. I hate games where someone does a combo and just sits there and doesn't say **** because anyone could do the ****, but I love it when someone does a **** fast fly combo with Sent that's hard as **** and the whole crowds like "OHHHHHHHHHH".

Point blank -> Eric's never going to like easy games :glare:

Yeah, Minato is like the nicest person in the fighting game threads. He never gets angry or anything. He's pretty awesome.
Yeah, he's not a **** like most of us.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Why does it seem like Capcom hates Juri? She's one of their best designs (gameplay wise) in a long time.

This is something that has irritated me for a long time. People put way too much emphasis on execution. Does it make a difference, from a strategic standpoint,whether a fireball input is a pretzel motion or a 236 motion? If your options aren't gutted, a simpler execution shouldn't make a difference. Brawl's execution requirements or more or less the same as Melee's at an entry level, but by removing the mobility options, you got yourself the crapfest it is. Brawl is an example of how NOT to streamline a game for the better.

IMO, the newer line of fighters is trying to emphasize strategy more than it had been in the past.
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating when people keep screaming about tech skill, especially in the Melee community. One of the things that turned me off to P:M is the developer's insistence on "deep, technical gameplay," to the exclusion of some common sense improvements, like auto-canceling.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I like the idea of L Canceling kept for P:M. Sure in high level play, players are expected to not drop their L Cancels, but there are ways to make opponents drop them. Pretty sure tilting shields or light shielding can screw up an opponent's timing.

I don't really play the P:M demo much since there are some small things that throw me off from my Melee execution/habits though.
Hopefully they fix some things that they're having issues with.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
there's two things that are ****ing your execution up,

1. Brawl DI, Magus fixed it it'll be in the patch
2. Landing detection, this ****s up every timing that requires landing.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
there's two things that are ****ing your execustion up,

1. Brawl DI, Magus fixed it it'll be in the patch
2. Landing detection, this ****s up every timing that requires landing.
Yeah, those are the two big ones that throw me off. 2 small ones I can also remember are not being able to air dodge if you were holding shield and being able to air dodge by not having to press the L/R trigger all the way down. These things mainly affect my habits though.

The way I WD OoS is to hold L and then WD out by air dodging with R. Not a huge issue, but I have to remember to let go of L before hitting R.

Second issue is by being able to air dodge by lightly pressing a trigger, it messes up my timing on WD with characters like Falco. Strangely enough, I fix this problem by holding down L and R while plugging my controller in. Once/if they add light shielding, I can't really do that since I'll be sacrificing that. I also have to reset the controller if I use Fox since it's impossible to perfect WD on P:M if I had my trigger held down.

I do find P:M really fun though and I can't wait to see how it turns out in the end.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm really interested in KoF. When it comes out I'll give it a rent.

Ryougi

Smash Rookie
I still honestly don't think SF4 is really scrubby. It is at low level butttt the better you get the harder it gets. Unless you're playing guile.

But yeah.

Melee to brawl
GG to BB
ST to HDR
MvC2 to MvC3
3S to SF4 (kinda)

Idk about AH, KoF, and Tekken if anyone knows if they're easymode compared to the previous games tell me.
Wheres MB up in there? ****ing so much more difficult than the vast majority of the games listed there.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Uhhhh, what? That was showing how the older games are harder than their successors. Plus, I don't play MB, which I've said like 20 times.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
MBAA is probably harder than MBAC. A ton more diverse along with a ton of moveset and property changes. But it's not like the MB sequels were trying to appeal to the general public anyway like the games you listed.

2a isn't even that good \o/

Minato

穏やかじゃない
2A is such a good wakeup tool in Melty for most characters though lol
It saved me the trouble on blocking/guessing.

Edit: Not saying that it's godly or anything like that. It certainly is helpful at times.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
The doll is his stand. So you just turn the stand on. You know those second figures that usually stand behind the character in Jojos? Those are stands. Devo just has a weird one.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I see. I noticed that Dio had a similar thing with his robot, so I figured it was a game mechanic.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Some characters have some odd ones. Like, someone's is a sword. You wouldn't even noticed he had one if it wasn't for the stand bar.

And Devos is unique because it acts like it's on character. Like, it can block and move on it's own. People like Jotaro's and Dio's don't work that way.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I need to start learning JJBA. The game's so fun. But like Darkstalkers, I'll play it every so often casually.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
So I've been watching a lot of Skullgirls previews. The game looks pretty interesting. It's very obviously an homage to Mike Z's favorite games (GG and MvC2) but frankly it's done so well that it looks like it'll turn out phenomenally well. There's a bunch of interesting new ideas too, like a modified burst system, an interesting infinite prevention system, and customizable assists (potential for Option Select assists? must investigate further). It seems like there's only going to be 8 characters or so, but with assists and stuff that's still 64 possible character choices.

It basically looks like TvC only fun.

inb4 TvC fans.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
"Summer 2011"

Unfortunately in video-game speak, that can mean up to late August.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm 12 and what is this?

Damn, that's a pretty awesome full parry.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Oh, I remember some of those characters from CvS2. Yeah, this game does look pretty awesome.

Terry Bogard is in this game? Is he okay?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Yeah, Terry's pretty good. The question is, ARE YOU OKAY?!?

Rock's the only character in CvS2 though. He's my favorite SnK character but he's pretty bad in this game.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Really? Maybe I just can't tell SNK characters apart.

BUSTAAA WOOOOOOOLF

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wonder why they aren't putting this on the 360 as well.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Probably due to file size limitations.

And because they know that 360 has a 100% RROD rate blah blah blah

Top Bottom