• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I honestly thought Testament was a girl at first with his long hair.

Damn you Guilty Gear and your shemales.

vZakat

Half Genie
I'd like to be a well rounded fighter. I feel like my weak points are poor blockstrings, using moves with lots of start up at bad times, and pretty much all types of footsies. I play I-no so I don't have any execution problems. I tend to play trap characters (Nero, Maori, Rachel) so I want to work on that the most but I like rushdown a lot too.

3s is the only street fighter I actually like (probably cause I'm bad at footsies). I play necro but I'm still really noobie. It sounds like ken is a good footsies character in that game. Maybe I should try him out.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Poor blockstrings is kind of just a matter of learning better combos and what moves are safe or fairly safe on block. Frame data can help with that.

Ken and Chun are both very good characters for learning footsies in 3S. Shotos in general are usually good characters for learning footsies.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Dang, those are hard. I'm impressed. :3c

I used to have Baiken's FRCs down when I played her, though I probably couldn't do them now either.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let me ask you guys this since the LA SRK people are people I can't seem to have an enjoyable with. It's like arguing with old bitter men that live off of stereotypes.

How much would you say is out-guessing when it comes to outsmarting in mixups? I was always under the impression that mixups were all about educated guesses, but apparently my scrubbish mentality is dead wrong.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I think it depends.

I mean, the point of mixups is to make your attacks difficult to predict. Mixups are only as good as the variety or complexity they have, and how you can react to them.

Depending on who you ask, yomi and conditioning are important for mixups, and I tend to agree.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So I'm not the only one who thinks this then. I'm getting flamed at telling me all I'm doing is outguessing and being random. I suppose I need to remind myself that "working" with these guys is just business and nothing more.

Now if I could only make it to more tournaments.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Just beat them at the game, and then they'll shut up.

But y'know, I could also just be another scrub, if you know what I mean. :I

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, don't listen to them KumaOso. What you're doing is already working and they're just being annoyed by that.
It's their fault for guessing wrong when facing an El Fuerte anyways.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
People are just salty because they can't read fuerte. It's not like he's a good character or anything. Why are they complainin about a low tier?

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
My theory has always been that they value execution too much. They complain about "stupid stuff" when it's more often than not considering the options available to both players.

But yeah, Fuerte's no herp derp character so the *****ing is stupid. I think most of it is because I'm somewhat new to the scene (apparently you need more than one year).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Getting that RSF is so damn hard for me to pull off. For whatever reason, I can only really do it during an actual match. It's much harder for some reason in Training Mode. At least AE will make it much easier.

But I guess better execution will get them to stop being *****. Ah, who am I kidding? Haters gonna hate no matter what.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Kuma, if you're making people rage so hard against you then just use it to your advantage and take their money in tourneys and MMs.

Duh.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Except I can hardly go to tournaments as things are right now. Every time I've gone to one since the big tournament back in August, I can't do well in tournaments. In casuals, however, I'm much better.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
lol at Yun in the first match

"I've got Genei-Jin activated: I know! I'll keep hitting low after he is blocking low, that will clearly hit."

Minato

穏やかじゃない

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I wish Aruka, the Ibuki player, still played. He was so godlike (compared to other Ibukis). Higa's gotten a lot better now compared to before though.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Got another question for you guys. Do you feel that you play differently when you're online and offline?

For whatever reason, I seem to play smarter when the person I'm fighting is next to me. I read better, space better, defend better, mind**** better, etc. Online, it's typically autopilot, even against someone I've played against offline before.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
In my opinion, online is a totally different game. You have to adjust everything you do.

Also, I don't bother with most online unless it's really good. If I can't do basic links that I can do every single time offline then what's the point?

I play way better offline though I think that's true of most people. It really grinds my gears when I lose to someone I know I could beat irl.

Atlus8

Smash Master
When I first tried it, I was surprised how well SSF4 ran online! I've heard so many complaints about lag issues that I started to question if they were being honest or making excuses! MvC3 does lag for me, so I'm gonna be staying away from that!

Also, I'm wondering if I should pick up MK9, but I don't want to drop $60 only for it to catch dust after a week!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The lag in SSF4 is nowhere near as bad as Marvel. The input lag is much more noticeable on Marvel. SSF4's lag is much more noticeable when you're trying to do tight links.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I actually hate SSFIV lag more than Marvel. Lag in SSFIV makes me screw up safe jumps, links, teching, hit confirms, and also makes me scared of random DPs as Ibuki. MvC3's is pretty bad though.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Got another question for you guys. Do you feel that you play differently when you're online and offline?

For whatever reason, I seem to play smarter when the person I'm fighting is next to me. I read better, space better, defend better, mind**** better, etc. Online, it's typically autopilot, even against someone I've played against offline before.
I make really stupid mistakes whenever I play online and I can't even think right. Online also plain pisses me off! Having friends to play with make it better though.

Top Bottom