• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fighting Game Discussion

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I really really wish it really is for Darkstalkers. And if it is, I hope they do a good job on it.
I wouldn't want it to be on a handheld or something like that
like Mega Man Legends 3

Gates

Banned via Warnings
OH MAN GUYS, I JUST FOUND MY NEW STICK DESIGN.

**** yeah.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Stocking's ears don't stick out of her hair. Also, Stocking's eyes are green.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Who ya playin? If you say Chun I will find where you live.
I'm thinking about picking up Chun when 3SO comes out. :troll:

But also Necro, he looks like fun.

But realistically I'm probably just going to go down the tier list and play who I end up liking the most. The main ones I'm looking at are Chun, Yun, Ken, Makoto, Urien, and Necro.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I'm thinking about picking up Chun when 3SO comes out. :troll:

But also Necro, he looks like fun.

But realistically I'm probably just going to go down the tier list and play who I end up liking the most. The main ones I'm looking at are Chun, Yun, Ken, Makoto, Urien, and Necro.
Ken's gets boring (I used to play him a bit), Chun does too but she gets easy wins, Yun cool people just ***** cause he's good, Makoto doesn't seem to suit you, you never really favor rushdown, Urien and Necro are hard to play. You should totally main Necro though, he's really ****ing weird. He's has an infinite too.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Ken's gets boring (I used to play him a bit), Chun does too but she gets easy wins
In MvC2 I played a character that did nothing but try to chip out the opponent with swords for 90 seconds and then hard tag to Cable to clean up for the remaining 10. I do not get bored easily.

Yun cool people just ***** cause he's good,

Makoto doesn't seem to suit you, you never really favor rushdown,
I hate rushdown. That's why I'm switching to Magneto and Wesker in MvC3.

****ing Sentinel Nerf.

Urien and Necro are hard to play.
Yeah, one of the things that worries me about Urien is charge partitioning and all that ****. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get away with playing Urien without Chariot Tackles and knee drops so I'll probably need to either step up my execution game or just not play him.

With Necro I think I could probably just do my Dhalsim thing and poke with limbs until I can get my opponent in a situation where I can do some blockstrings. Obviously I won't get to do fun stuff like Ultra 1 traps or anything, but at least Necro has a DP (btw, does that have incvincibility or anything?).

He's has an infinite too.
Please, tell me more. Is it on the whole cast or just *******s with big hitboxes like Hugo/Alex/Q/Urien/etc.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Ken's gets boring (I used to play him a bit), Chun does too but she gets easy wins, Yun cool people just ***** cause he's good, Makoto doesn't seem to suit you, you never really favor rushdown, Urien and Necro are hard to play. You should totally main Necro though, he's really ****ing weird. He's has an infinite too.
I found Yun fun but I can't play him in real matches. I got his basic GJ combos down but trying to find ways to set up GJ is a pain on a real opponent.

And Necro has an infinite?
Yeah, one of the things that worries me about Urien is charge partitioning and all that ****. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get away with playing Urien without Chariot Tackles and knee drops so I'll probably need to either step up my execution game or just not play him.
I kinda want to use Urien for fun. I've done charge partitioning with Remy, but that's about it.

I use Ibuki and Q which have two totally opposite play styles so it's fun to switch around every now and then.
I used to use Ken a bit but I've been leaning towards Akuma.

Still, I kinda want to use other characters. 3S has too many fun characters.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
You won't ever really need to partion the knee you will need to partion headbutts A LOT. HK tackle xx HP aegis happens a lot and you will have to dash twice and headbutt to get the unblockable.

With Necro I think I could probably just do my Dhalsim thing and poke with limbs until I can get my opponent in a situation where I can do some blockstrings. Obviously I won't get to do fun stuff like Ultra 1 traps or anything, but at least Necro has a DP (btw, does that have incvincibility or anything?).
Nah, Necro can't do Sim things. He has a good foootsie game but long range pokes aren't good with him, Necro needs to get close so he can hit those high stun combos. And he doesn't have a DP, it's a command normal.A really ****ing big command normal. Unless you're talking about the electric thing.

Please, tell me more. Is it on the whole cast or just *******s with big hitboxes like Hugo/Alex/Q/Urien/etc.
IIRC it's only on big dudes in the corner. It's downback HP over and over, the timing is stupid strict though.

edit: here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPHKWWFB4P8#t=0m51s

And this is how you **** someone with him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKxOj6YIfr0&playnext=1&list=PL340C687DB083915A

Minato

穏やかじゃない
IIRC it's only on big dudes in the corner. It's downback HP over and over, the timing is stupid strict though.

And this is how you **** someone with him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKxOj6YIfr0&playnext=1&list=PL340C687DB083915A
I remember those matches. It's not an infinite since there's a juggle value count in the game for (usually) a max of 6 hits unless you bypass it.
Regardless, it's pretty awesome how good Necro can be if the player's execution is on point.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
You won't ever really need to partion the knee you will need to partion headbutts A LOT. HK tackle xx HP aegis happens a lot and you will have to dash twice and headbutt to get the unblockable.
Obviously I won't partition knees.

I didn't realize it was that hard though. Maybe I'll look into him last...

Nah, Necro can't do Sim things. He has a good foootsie game but long range pokes aren't good with him, Necro needs to get close so he can hit those high stun combos.
Blech, forget it then. I need someone who can zone. If I wanted to play footsies all day in this game I'd just play Chun. Or maybe I'll scrub it up with Ken, idk.

And he doesn't have a DP, it's a command normal.A really ****ing big command normal. Unless you're talking about the electric thing.
I was talking about the electric thing. I take it that has no invincibility then?

That's kinda disappointing. I don't really see why I'd do that when I could just as well do Dudley's 6 sweep corner combo.

That's kinda arousing. I like how he could end the corner juggle in taunt. That's some Saikyo tactics right there.

Oh, I meant to post this earlier but I forgot.
http://urban-muse.com/blog/Urban-Muse-Shinkiro-Retrospective
Pretty awesome artwork. The site is a hipster site and not a gaming site though, so many of the art credits are wrong.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Blech, forget it then. I need someone who can zone. If I wanted to play footsies all day in this game I'd just play Chun. Or maybe I'll scrub it up with Ken, idk.
Zoning isn't really a big tactic in 3S, Remy's like the only character that based his game around it (he's mad underrated too).

I was talking about the electric thing. I take it that has no invincibility then?
I don't think so, idk though.

That's kinda disappointing. I don't really see why I'd do that when I could just as well do Dudley's 6 sweep corner combo.
Well, it does more than 6, that's a good thing.

That's kinda arousing. I like how he could end the corner juggle in ]
taunt. That's some Saikyo tactics right there.
Necro players do that a lot. lol

vZakat

Half Genie
I need to hang around this thread more. It seems pretty cool.

Random question, what would you say is a good game to play to get general fighting game skills? I already play guilty gear, melty blood, and arcana heart. Just wondering if there are other games that could help me get better at fighters.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
What do you want to get better at? Footsies and spacing? Execution? Zoning or getting around zoning?

For footsies, play pretty much any SF, KoF, or CvS game. They're all heavily reliant on footsies, spacing, and punishing mistakes. The most notable one of these is SSFIIT since it's basically all footsies and option selects.

For execution...well, you already play Guilty Gear so I'd say just keep playing that only try and do longer and more difficult combos. MvC2 is also good for working on execution as long as you don't pick a zoning character like Cable.

For zoning or getting around zoning, you have options for "traditional" 2D fighters and "airdash" fighters. For getting around zoning in a "traditional" fighter, I'd say practice on SSFIIT as a character who doesn't zone (basically a character without a projectiles) against fireball characters (such as Ryu, Dhalsim, Sagat, etc.). This will teach you how to get around most of the casts zoning tactics with fireballs, Sonic Booms, Tiger Shots, Dhalsim's limbs, etc. For getting around zoning in an airdash fighter, I'd probably have to reccommend MvC2 again because it's the only airdash fighter I can think of where zoning is a strong strategy. To get around zoning in MvC2, try playing a Magneto or Iron Man based team or even clockw0rk (Strider/Doom/Sentinel) against teams that zone like crazy (Cable teams, Spiral teams, Blackheart teams).

Hope that helped.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Don't forget about that rushdownnnnnnn.

MvC2 would help that too but VS and GG are heavily rushdown based too.

If you need help trapping you'll need to play certain characters in certain games, Strider and Spiral in MvC2, Mu, Rachel, and Arakune in BB, Eddie and Testament in GG, D'bo in JJBA, Urien and Oro in 3S, Rikuo in VS, etc.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Trapping is a relative concept. I haven't really seen Urien use traps per se, just using Aegis Reflector to see where the opponent is blocking and set up unblockable combos based on that. BBCS1 Rachel isn't that good at trapping, or anything really. Arakune's not too good at trapping either in CS because of the way his curse mode has changed, but I suppose once he does get a curse he can still fill the screen up with BEEEEES. I consider Mu more of a zoning character than a trap character but to be honest I really don't know much about her since she's not very widely played and I haven't played BlazBlue in months. Eddie's not really much of a trap character - why would he be when he can just use unblockables? Testament I don't really consider a trap character - he's more of a zoning character who just uses his crow, his trees, and his webs as hit confirms into the Badlands loop or other such combos. Bridget I consider a trap character but not for gameplay reasons.

I guess if by trapping you mean "keeping your opponent in blockstun for long periods of time" and things like frame perfection are not as much of a concern as mixup potential, then yeah those are all trap characters. Trapping in general though isn't that basic of a strategy and it's not one of the first things you want to learn when getting better at fighting games.

How the hell is Oro a trap character though?

Top Bottom