• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGD~ Time to get SHTL done

Jet300

Smash Ace
Change your block button on your GC, CC, or nun chuck to jump. Now press the block button that you change to jump and b at the same times. Make sure you press b 3 times.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
There's a couple of ways to do it, obviously with different control schemes. And even when you do switch, it should take a considerable amount of practice to master (well, it did for me).
The actual inputs are straight forward: jump button> special button 3 times. Obviously the first laser has to come out almost immediately (if not, immediately), so you have to condition yourself to do it. The timing from jump> first laser I think is about the timing for jump> autocanceled upair/ maybe fair. It just takes practice.

You can also buffer it like Iblis said. You could...say, do as SHSL and towards the ending of the short hop, buffer the jump to laser and then do the other 2 regularly. But I honestly feel you should just master how to do it offhand.
...Unless Iblis meant buffering it out of jump squat frames, which would be doing it offhand anyway I think.

As for the advantages of SHTL over SHDL.... well yeah, You get one extra laser :l
But really, once you master it, it's usually easier to do a SHTL than it is to do a perfect SHDL. This is due to the timing of getting the silent laser, which is pretty useful. You'll always get a silent laser with SHTL if you do it right. If you master it, it's a lot smoother to SHTL than it is to SHDL. It also make a considerable difference in certain MUs, like olimar.
There are situations were short hop single laser is actually better than short hop triple laser. I think it's best to usually SHSL or SHTL, rather than SHDL due to commitment reasons

If you plan to take Fox seriously, I personally recommend you learn it.

BlindSpot

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice. I'll start practicing this soon.

I'm really enjoying Fox so far. I also have Pikachu as a secondary. Really helps Fox with his bad MUs.

Kantrip

Kantplay
With a gamecube controller, I found setting X to special (I jump with Y) helped a lot with sliding my thumb for the SHTL.

Initially I did it with L as jump (which I set for OoS purposes) but then X wasn't getting used and that made it even easier.

Kuares

Pizza
So I've been gone a while, schools been keeping me busy and my scene's been especially dead these last few months. Tell me stuff that needs updating!

...oh and I see people are stll asking about SHTL ._.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
does anyone know the quickest way to get out of olimar's grabs? (which buttons can you mash)
I flick my control stick and c-stick to prevent myself from pressing the jump input. This allows Oli to give chase for a regrab with proper spacing in his favor... Once grab released and in close range,you have two options. A: Attempt a grab on Oli or B: hop away(running will get you molested..) and tease him with shtl and bait a regrab to punish. If he throws jellybeans at you just reflect(you can jump,roll,or spotdodge) to make him approach. I actually love this mu.

:phone:

Gnairly

Smash Rookie
Hello, this is Gnairly!

Introduction, hmm... So I started Smash with Melee. Fox was cool, fast, and had dat upsmash. I stopped before wavedashing in Melee and play Brawl now, sometimes using Link as well as Fox.

I've checked back with sb for the guides and videos, but never posted. That's called lurking iirc? feels sketchy.

So, I'd like to play some matches sometime! Tech skill goes as far as DACUS, pivot wavegrab. Playing skill goes as far as "With Anyone" matches, so that's pretty bad. Well, that's what matches are for, right?

Gnairly

Ruinn

Smash Ace
I've been playing around with fox, and it's going smoothly. I can even shtl :) Just to see how my fox has done, next month I plan on going mostly, if not all, fox.

Moon's Tear

Smash Rookie
Hello! Ive been a lurker for a while and decided to finally make an account so...yea haha nice to finally say hi to everyone! Im a fox main from Indiana, but I havent really been to any tournaments or anything, just mostly read up on tech skill stuffs and whatnot. I hope to get better by finally talking and not just reading anymore :p

M@v

Subarashii!
Pretty sure all the fox mains made it to apex bracket.

NAKAT placed the highest in the bracket itself, but Him, Zeton, Trump, and Myself all made it in.

M@v

Subarashii!
I hope you like getting chaingrabbed by every character.

Even Pit and Toon Link :)

But ironically not DDD or Wario.

knuckles213

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's maaaad dead around these parts. Ever since TKD quit, the Fox mains kinda lost their beacon. I think the only solo Fox around these parts is Zeton.
I'm a fox main, I havent quit, my state has just been dead for a while, their will be some activity next month, so I might post more often.

I dont post here cause there nothing to talk about, plus life.

Jet300

Smash Ace
I haven't been in a tournament almost a year now. And I haven't really post here a lot because of school and nothing to talk about.

Zeton

Smash Lord
NNID
ZetonX
I'm still around. Just nothing to really post. Let alone people are afraid to ask me stuff apparently.

Top Bottom