• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGD~ Time to get SHTL done

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really attracted to AiB either, although I do have an account there. The last few times I went to fsmash, I didn't see many people, but I guess I didn't wait long enough. Supposedly, I'm getting faster interent tomorrow, so we should play again sometime! Maybe I'll start lurking fsmash again~

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
Fsmash can go from completely dead to packed and vis-versa in minutes. Usually about an hour or two before now is the prime time.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Oh AiB... Hmm, I will try that fsmash.org when I get back. I am in need of practices. Hopefully I will not be lagging. Anyways are you from U.S?

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
Nebraska. Most people I brawl there have minimal lag. Oh, I found an old replay on my wii with Zeton. I forced him to play wifi with me one time. Maybe I'll upload it later. :shiro:

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
lol, Zeton was reading this thread last I checked. Well, I think my home internet is crap so probability of you finding me laggy will be little bit higher than usual, but we will see laggy or not I need practice. I will see if I can make time this weekend. I am kind of sick of dealing with CPUs unless I am trying to get my DI to become my second nature or practicing my ATs.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, internet definitely got much faster. Guess I'll stop by sometime on fsmash~

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
Holy crap. I can't believe I didn't see this thread before. Is this the dead or dying Fox thread I've heard so much about?

How did that happen?

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Haha, we are in process of reviving this thread to its full glory. Rest of the threads on this board might be dead due to lots of top-notch Fox mains either dropped Fox and converted to the dark side (reads: other characters). I guess there are very few of us left. May be we (those who posted here recently I guess) are the only Foxes remaining. I will not drop Fox ever even though I re-thought about maining Fox at times. More challenges, more fun to be had.
Added: It seems that this thread suffers from a :troll: problem.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
In that case, Fox is one of the weirdest mid-tiers ever, if not THE weirdest.

There are still several mid-tiers under him, like Sonic, Ike, Kirby, & DK, and I don't feel like they're suffering from the same fate Fox is, here.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Well, I suppose so... Because I've seen that guy trolling this board, especially on this thread. Anyways, I wish there was a way to bring Fox back to his high position... Fox's fate is sad. I suppose it is because Fox is difficult in some way. Because I know several characters that are below him can be categorized as glass cannon too.

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
Haha, we are in process of reviving this thread to its full glory. Rest of the threads on this board might be dead due to lots of top-notch Fox mains either dropped Fox and converted to the dark side (reads: other characters).
I thought this was the dark side.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I can imagine, Kirby & Squirtle, G&W and the Zelda half of Sheilda being that way, but G&W is the only mid tier over Fox.

The rest of the mid tiers either hit hard and/or are heavy and maybe slow (DK, Ike, ROB, Yoshi, Charizard), fast, but can't kill very good (Sonic, Sheik), and others are probably average with strong kill moves to make up for their averageness (Ness's back throw, & PKT2, Luigi's Up B & Misfire, Ivysaur's Up Smash & Uair)

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Oh, ok. Well, I am not a reliable source for anything other than some basic stuffs for Fox. Heck, I don't even take a good look at tier list. Yes I do check Tier List thread almost all the time but it is mainly for the entertainment purpose because I enjoy watching them "debating" over things :D Oh, and I know it's not my place and late but welcome to this thread :p

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
All I know is
MK
Snake---
---Falco and Diddy in here somewhere--- ------ --
----- ------
----- --------- ---
------------ -------
Ganon.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Yeah, I am trying to model my play style by fusing some aspects of Japanese and 'Westerner' style of play. That's why I would seem to display both aggressive and campy game even though I am far from being effective. I believe my effectiveness will go up as time goes because I think I lack much needed experiences and solidification of some needed skills.

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
I like Fox slightly better than Wolf just because of his speed. I pretty much don't camp at all. I don't know if it's because of wifi or not, but I can never pull of shtl while fighting. I tend to be really aggressive but also run all over the place. Who are some good Japanese Foxes I could take a look at?

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Just like me! I used to play Wolf more because I liked him at the first sight but then Fox took that spot over and now I barely use Wolf. As to your question, I personally always watch Yui play. I think he may be the best Fox in Japan (well, may be he used to be, since I heard he is like MK/Fox hybrid main and he was outplaced by a Fox main named Jill). Yui is the reason why I began to play as Fox (to come to think of it, I only played Fox for like 2 months and most of those times were spent on shtl and other ATs). And of course, when I am at Smashfest, I watch Carls play some other people. And as for shtl, if you change up some of controls, you would find yourself doing shtl pretty easy. For example, switching x or y button into special so that you can slide your finger from jump to special while retaining x or y (one of them) as jump button.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
I haven't watched any brawl vids in a long time, but from what I've seen, the only Fox worth watching from Japan is Yui. If there's another that came up recently from Japan, I guess I don't know him.
From Europe, Sodrek is pretty good imo.
From our side of the world, TKD (obv), and somewhat Trevonte/Nakat.

P1 is forever a troll.

I personally think Fox is much higher on the tier list, but arguing it is troublesome.

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
My way of using SHTL is to change the Up button on the Control Pad to Jump. Then I can just press CPad Up to B to and fro and it works.

I mained Fox extremely early in Brawl's life, and drew inspiration from better Fox players like Yui & NAKAT. But now they're using him less for better characters, and I need to look in on this Jill person.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
fox67890: True, I think Fox could be much higher, but then this will be deemed as a nonsensical typical Fox main delusion. Sodrek is good too but then I don't think he uses enough lasers. I can see him having lots of trouble with some of match-ups. It's just me may be...
Disaster Master: lol that vid. TAS vid!
Carls: Oh and this Jill person, I don't think there are barely any vids of him other than on numabura channel I think. But then he seems to use rolls as one of approaches.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Sodrek is fine imo. Hardcore camping isn't always the best way to go (usually isn't imo). As long as your forcing appraoches smartly, then that's what really counts
Like this, for instance (although it's Yui): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qExXnU_h4KY
But yeah, he's not the greatest, agreeded. I think he's pretty good though.

I honestly think Fox is kinda low on the tier list due to generally poor play with him. The ones that are actually really good with him just...vanish for a long time :\. Some work is going to have to be put into him to get him higher.

My way of using SHTL is to change the Up button on the Control Pad to Jump. Then I can just press CPad Up to B to and fro and it works.
As long as you can maintain mobility with doing that, then that's fine. Personally, I found it to actually be a bad idea, because it makes you move your thumb away from the control stick, which is what you use to move.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Sodrek is fine imo. Hardcore camping isn't always the best way to go (usually isn't imo). As long as your forcing appraoches smartly, then that's what really counts
Like this, for instance (although it's Yui): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qExXnU_h4KY
But yeah, he's not the greatest, agreeded. I think he's pretty good though.
I watched that match so many times, well I watched his Nietono match or his FD matched from his youtube channel a lot because I wanted to find out the bgm that was playing. Anyways, well, as I watched Sodrek play against few people (German narrator counting down and saying "GO!" is really really unbearable to the degree that it is the only thing keeping me away from watching more of him) he barely used lasers in his earlier plays. I think that changed a little bit after he started to attend bigger European tournaments, still I am not bashing him, but I think he could be a lot better if he improved his laser games a lot.
Oh, and I agree on Fox's positioning. Probably it is because there are barely any good players (solo Fox mains that is) in tournaments nowadays and what you said. Fox is not a bad character at all.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
If my tone was critical in the previous post, I didn't mean it to be. Sorry about that >.>
The bgm is called Moonlight Wilderness from Tekken btw (just in case you never found it)~

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
Setting x to special would significantly help me with shtl, but my x button is sticky and this is my only good remote.

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
Gamecube remote, of course. I cleaned it but it's just just a tad sticky. Really hard to get out that last laser.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
hmm, only remedies I can suggest would be to either get a new one or press special button 3 times but little harder. Sticky button really sucks...

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
Heh, nevermind. I cleaned it with a damp toothbrush and now it works much better. And lol my dpad wouldn't work very well. I dropped my remote one day and the area around the dpad is split open so usually when I press anything on the dpad it doesn't register.

NAKAT

Smash Champion
I don't use him less because Ice Climbers are better. I've just lost interest in using him and Metaknight as well. I have mained Fox since Smash 64 and I'll always love the character and definitely play him in Smash 4. Although Fox is very fun he is sometimes draining to play. Right now I am having a lot of fun with Ice Climbers, but my Fox is still there. I'll randomly bust him out from time to time. You'll likely see a lot more of him when SKTAR gets closer. As of now the only top level Fox players that remain are Me, Zeton, and Yui. Trev quit and TKD....don't really follow up on him or know what he's been up to.

Top Bottom