• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FGD~ Time to get SHTL done

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Fox mains, teach LionArmor how to play MK. His playstyle would work really well, but there aren't very many MKs in GA/AL

:phone:

Bing

Smash Master
I played Guard this past weekend in a Fox ditto in pools. Got wrecked game 1, game two I SD'd first stock(**** Stadium ledges) got wrecked 2nd stock, then brought it all the way back to last stock high percent before missing an up-smash and eating an up-smash of his own. Was a really good game though.

I don't really know what Im doing wrong though, I know Im a bit impatient, I upthrow and immedately go for a follow up instead of waiting for them to fall within range. And that outside of the opening few seconds I barely laser, but still I just dont get it. I should probably drill less, Im pretty dependant on combos from drill so I should probably cool that down a bit... and I rarely fair.

knuckles213

Smash Ace
Fox mains, teach LionArmor how to play MK. His playstyle would work really well, but there aren't very many MKs in GA/AL

:phone:
I'm not great at the MU nor explaining it, but this what helps me outs (gut feeling).
- take him to FD first match if you can (more space to move around) then either pick SV (very generic to fast play) or BF (more for setups)
- know what Mk can do (as far as spaming or punishing) and pre-prediction actions (as far as know what options mk has over you; that way you can easily counter it)
- know that Mk can sit in shield and be safe cause if go off oh his shield you'll either eat a Dsmah or a Nair
- Mk with F-tilt and D-tilt you if grounded most of the time (if you can Power shield it and grab him or Usmash)
- Always grab and D-throw Mk when you can, F-throw when he's at high %, don't use bthrow unless it can put him off stage and give you room to move, U- throw when in kill % or when you can combo or trap him
- keep lasering to force approach from Mk (SHDL cause its quick)
- you wanna keep him in the air and have ground control to point where he can't land or has to go to the ledge
- Bair is really good against him as well as Uair when hes above you
- if he shuttle loops know you can reflector it (if above him and you know its coming) or if hes gliding at you then Power shield Usmash as soon as hes in range of striking you (sometimes he'll even cancel shuttle loop to Dsmash)
- create mix-ups like air dodge to grab or something
- Dair when not expected (Short hop prefferd)
- use Utilt as a mix up, to rack up damage (early %), when you can't Usmash him, when hes behide you, or when he around 160% you can utilt for the kill
- you can punish his Nado, just shield the whole thing (tilt it up so that it doesn't poke through) and usmash him when hes done and close enough (you can even Usmash his nado from under neath him)
- you can dair the eye of mk's tornado and get a free grab or usmash
- you can fast fall air dodge the majority of mk's airal moves ( you wanna even sometimes fast fall airdodge to spot dodge to avoid landing on a dair)
- you have a grab release on him USE IT (when over 90%)
- use dsmash or dash attack to punish landings or missed ground moves
- jab jab combos work well
- Short hop Nair to Usmash works
- Fair mk when hes in the air, but don't fair when hes grounded

I'm probably forgetting other things at the moment right now, but I hope this kind of helps

I played Guard this past weekend in a Fox ditto in pools. Got wrecked game 1, game two I SD'd first stock(**** Stadium ledges) got wrecked 2nd stock, then brought it all the way back to last stock high percent before missing an up-smash and eating an up-smash of his own. Was a really good game though.

I don't really know what Im doing wrong though, I know Im a bit impatient, I upthrow and immedately go for a follow up instead of waiting for them to fall within range. And that outside of the opening few seconds I barely laser, but still I just dont get it. I should probably drill less, Im pretty dependant on combos from drill so I should probably cool that down a bit... and I rarely fair.
if its the dittos then,
- the best thing to do is to punish everything he does because you know all what this character can do or most oftenly does
- laser are not needed in this MU.
- OoS Nair or Usmash works
- Jab to grab works
- Bair works after most setups
- he can litteraly combo himself
- dash attack works (use it unexpectly or)
- either Usmah his landing to Dsmash (you send him flying
- Utlit for frame trap and combo setups (espesically to Bair)
- SH Nair to Usmash
- You can Nair the his side-B or Utilt it just like you would do to falco
- Short hop dair work

hope this helps

Bing

Smash Master
Outside of Jab grabbing this is basically what I do. Its a hard one to deal with because he plays REALLY safe, like, he doesnt go for death combos, he just racks up damage with micro combos then takes a stock by punishing a mistake. Plus he is better then me in general(he's like 3rd on Quebecs PR, I dont even make bracket, though I generally get death pooled)

Thanks though, I'll definitely pay more attention when Im playing a cross reference that with this list. I'm probably missing a few things.

I need to work on timing the nair for edge guarding, though I never uptilt.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
If LionArmor hasn't learned MU and really needs help with it I'll come out to a tourney and coach him on it. I'm too lazy to type stuff out (I don't have that kind of spark for this game anymore at the moment) and there are things I would like to show him compared to telling him.

Anyway, I feel that best way of teaching someone something, in recent times, is to visually show them while verbally explaining.

Zeton

Smash Lord
NNID
ZetonX
^I feel the same way, I am horrible explaining everything I do in mus through text/typing. Everyone here knows they can always come to me in person or at a tourney for advice.

Bing

Smash Master
I think my biggest issue at the last tournament was that I was both out of practice(i had only played 3 times in the last like 2 months) but furthermore I've always been a one trick pony. I go for the same general combos and strings, recover the same and get punished for it. So I've been working on mixups and better recovery options.

Zeton

Smash Lord
NNID
ZetonX
Recovering with Fox has always been the key to racking up damage on him (as well as chain grabs)... The best advice I can give you to mix up your recovery options is start to utilize Fox's Shine air stall, mastering the Fair recovery, and getting familiar with Fox's Forward B canceling.

I can also add if you are being pressured while on the ledge while trying to recover is that Fox's 2nd hit of Upair is fairly big and can actually reach through certain lips on certain stages and if done right will have no landing lag. its one of my strongest tools when dealing with dair poking marths and mks. can use it to also bait their UpBs trying to stage spike you through the lip giving you free walk ons.

Bing

Smash Master
I'm pretty decent with the fair recovery and the shortening of Illusions though I know I don't shine stall enough and when I do its generally in the wrong places and therefore are punished for it.

I know I have a lot of work to do, I've played Brawl "competitively" but I've never taken it seriously. Though I can generally give a lot of higher up players a scare because of my extremely aggressive style. I'm finally taking this seriously and practicing, with one character too so I think I can make an impact, and soon too. So heres hoping for the best.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Hmm, I guess welcome is in order even though I too am relatively new here as well or at least on Fox board.
I wish there were more signs of life here... Need some update on how and where Fox's metagame is in the year 2013.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Bump for Social Thread because it's almost been 2 weeks after I posted something here and in the hope of Fox board being not as dead as it seems.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Oh, if I didn't read that phrase, I would have assumed that you were gone over to MK. I mean, MK is my secondary character but I barely play him anymore unless I play FFA with bad wiimote+ccp (which I cannot sh consistently or shtl or any types of AT). What good is playing Fox if you cannot DI and shield and do rest of the stuffs I already listed.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Seems like the post you just posted is identical to the last one unless you ninja'd it before I completed this. Anyways, how many Fox mains are active now?

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Three posts with the same contents to be exact. The first one, I responded. second and third, I realized something's wrong with your connection the server.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Hey, there's another one! Say, do you still play Fox fox67890?
Uh...kinda. I'm a wifi fox though.
The best I could offer you is these, which was a long time ago on wifi (and I think I could've done better).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC2LtpEEGgc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO0vim-58_Q

I also made some tips videos...but I'm too lazy to find the links...

Honestly, I actually do check the Fox boards every here and there, but don't bother posting. Activity just seems too dead.

...uh btw, I don't like posting in TKD's thread when he's away, because it feels like I'm tainting his sacred thread.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I see... add me, I wanna play you guys sometimes. I realized I need much more practice after today's smashfest around here.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Ok, I will try to find a time where I can do this during the weekend. Weekends are like the only time I am with my own wii.

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we played before Diaster, a long time ago...I think it was on fsmash iirc (I'm pretty sure it was there). I liked playing you~

NH Cody

Smash Champion
oh I was just stopping by to say I found the title amusing. but I do like meeting new people, plus Zeton is a friend of mine.

Fox is kind of cool though. I played a few Starfox games...so am I allowed to lurk here? xD

Disaster Master

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'm on fsmash.org all the time. It's where I find all my matches. I can't stand AiB. It was over a year ago we played though. We really need to play again. I promise I SD less now.

Top Bottom