• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Feelings on MK and the MK ban after Apex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thino

Smash Master
The data is not useless either way.

By that logic, the polls are all 100% useless since they're still data. It's all useless, or none is. Can't have it both ways.

And opinions are everything in this case anyway. I get what you mean(mostly).
As I already mentioned in my post a few pages ago to John12346, data about tournanent results are only useful for informative purpose only, if thats what youre talking about.

But in the debate of whether MK should be banned or not, they are useless because MK's usage, winning % or money earned crossing the line or not is entirely up to the person.

The community didn't set a line MK shouldnt have crossed beforehand.

Poll results are different in the sense that, if theyre valid, they put tournament attendance, and the community survival in jeopardy if theyre ignored, and that is something that IMO is easily acknowledged whether youre pro-ban or anti-ban

:phone:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...What.

It doesn't matter when they set a line or not. Especially since you don't need to. The point was that it was too much for the majority to handle. And that's why they voted that.

Everybody sets their own lines. And since banning a character has never come up, we've never had to make a line before, unlike with items and stages. In fact, this allows us to set that line now.

Either way, the line doesn't ultimately matter in the end. Especially since that's not even the line people cite. The line we cite is when we MUST make rules to nerf him in order to make reasonable for tournaments. Those others are just opinions. But in the end, reducing stuff for only one character(this includes catering to him) is when it's going too far.

There's a similar thing in the whole No-Tripping argument. We going too far with any game-altering hack because we're not longer playing the same game we bought and practiced with. But that's just a similar idea to what I mean.

Nobody can really say how much is too much money, usage, winning, those aren't a big deal to everyone. But we do admit outright that we're catering to one guy when we make rules for him and him alone.(and we both know the LGL is bullcrap anyway, as it was made for him and him alone). If there was no LGL, I probably would be neutral on the subject. But that's the thing that pushes it too far for me. We're catering to one character, admitting he's too much. That's why I want him gone, since we just can't tolerate him within the normal rules of the game. If an arbitary rule is required for him(and it's still him alone), then there's a real problem.

Thino

Smash Master
...What.

It doesn't matter when they set a line or not. Especially since you don't need to. The point was that it was too much for the majority to handle. And that's why they voted that.

Everybody sets their own lines. And since banning a character has never come up, we've never had to make a line before, unlike with items and stages. In fact, this allows us to set that line now.

Either way, the line doesn't ultimately matter in the end. Especially since that's not even the line people cite. The line we cite is when we MUST make rules to nerf him in order to make reasonable for tournaments. Those others are just opinions. But in the end, reducing stuff for only one character(this includes catering to him) is when it's going too far.

There's a similar thing in the whole No-Tripping argument. We going too far with any game-altering hack because we're not longer playing the same game we bought and practiced with. But that's just a similar idea to what I mean.

Nobody can really say how much is too much money, usage, winning, those aren't a big deal to everyone. But we do admit outright that we're catering to one guy when we make rules for him and him alone.(and we both know the LGL is bullcrap anyway, as it was made for him and him alone). If there was no LGL, I probably would be neutral on the subject. But that's the thing that pushes it too far for me. We're catering to one character, admitting he's too much. That's why I want him gone, since we just can't tolerate him within the normal rules of the game. If an arbitary rule is required for him(and it's still him alone), then there's a real problem.
And what makes you think that line is different from the other ones?

I mean, you are aware that it's an obligation to make rules to nerf him just because YOU think it is and that it is not actually a fact right?

Same goes for what you classify as "reasonable" or not.

I can come and say that the community DIDN'T HAVE to nerf him and that the game IS reasonable even without those rules just because it is my opinion.

Unless you want to actually elaborate on those and prove me that they're not only opinion but chances are that we're gonna end up to the conclusion that those rules are arbitrary.

And you will have to explain too why catering to one character is bad and what you define as too much and how and also why you cannot tolerate him.

Maybe after we finish discussing about that you'll have a clear idea between what is fact and what is opinion in this matter.

ALSO your no tripping argument analogy works much better the opposite way around somehow because removing a character, aka a MU that everyone practiced to a certain extent for the past 4 years, is definitely no longer playing the same game we bought and practiced with.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And what makes you think that line is different from the other ones?
Because it's only doing it for one character. That's a MAJOR line that cannot be denied.

I mean, you are aware that it's an obligation to make rules to nerf him just because YOU think it is and that it is not actually a fact right?
So explain to me why we outright refuse to remove the LGL and actually play him to his fullest potential?

Same goes for what you classify as "reasonable" or not.
It becomes unreasonable to make tons of rules and revolve the game around one character instead of banning him. It's a choice of banning tons of crap and making crappy rules, or banning one character.

I can come and say that the community DIDN'T HAVE to nerf him and that the game IS reasonable even without those rules just because it is my opinion.
Once again, why do they refuse to then? Not even the Japanese do this, so it's pretty obvious that it will never be agreed upon the remove the nerfs. We shouldn't have to nerf him, and I don't think it should be at all. Remove the LGL, problem solved.

Unless you want to actually elaborate on those and prove me that they're not only opinion but chances are that we're gonna end up to the conclusion that those rules are arbitrary.
Which you agree the LGL is Arbitrary anyway. Or that it doesn't work. You make it clear you were against it. Do you actually know what my solution is? Remove the LGL, do nothing else, including not banning MK. Maybe then we can find a way to beat his planking. Once we do that, we can concentrate on the rest of the metagame. The only thing I believe we didn't try hard enough(and weren't able to) is beating his planking, but the rest, yeah, we gave it our all. And it didn't work.

And you will have to explain too why catering to one character is bad and what you define as too much and how and also why you cannot tolerate him.
Catering to one character is bad in concept for many reasons. The first is that it's hypocritical to say he isn't a problem by doing this. Second, there's absolutely no reason we should have to make any one specific character more important than another. Third, and possibly the most important, is that we are refusing to outright hit the problem at its core. Which is to ban him. If he's enough of an issue to cater every single rule to him, and absolutely no one else is affected, then that's a line you went over. Finally, it's beyond pitiful to outright nerf a character multiple times instead of removing it. There's no legitimate reason to cater to him whatsoever, when nobody else gets any real attention anymore.

Maybe after we finish discussing about that you'll have a clear idea between what is fact and what is opinion in this matter.
What is fact is that when a community has to nerf something, there's an automatic problem. It becomes tolerable if multiple characters are affected instead. It still shouldn't be needed. But when it's just one guy... don't you think we're only lying to ourselves when we say he's not a problem?

ALSO your no tripping argument analogy works much better the opposite way around somehow because removing a character, aka a MU that everyone practiced to a certain extent for the past 4 years, is definitely no longer playing the same game we bought and practiced with.
Wrong. Why? You never have had to play that character in the first place. He is not a part of the game that anybody chooses to do. You MUST play with Tripping to play the game correctly. It's not an actual choice. It's part of the official game for eternity. The whole analogy is that if we can remove it legally, it's fine. If we can't, it's not fine. Understand what my point of the analogy is first before dissecting it.

Thino

Smash Master
Because it's only doing it for one character. That's a MAJOR line that cannot be denied.
Yes.

So?

So explain to me why we outright refuse to remove the LGL and actually play him to his fullest potential?
Because the majority of the community doesn't want to deal with it, that doesn't mean it's an obligation in any way.

It becomes unreasonable to make tons of rules and revolve the game around one character instead of banning him. It's a choice of banning tons of crap and making crappy rules, or banning one character.
But you haven't explained anything by saying that.

Why is it unreasonable to make tons of rules and revolve the game around one character?
Why choosing one and not the other?

Please don't make make ask those questions, since you choose to reply to me, explain your point FULLY.

Once again, why do they refuse to then? Not even the Japanese do this, so it's pretty obvious that it will never be agreed upon the remove the nerfs. We shouldn't have to nerf him, and I don't think it should be at all. Remove the LGL, problem solved.
They don't want to. That's all there is to it. Once again it doesn't make it any sort of obligation and Japanese do not add any sort of weight to that argument.

Which you agree the LGL is Arbitrary anyway. Or that it doesn't work. You make it clear you were against it. Do you actually know what my solution is? Remove the LGL, do nothing else, including not banning MK. Maybe then we can find a way to beat his planking. Once we do that, we can concentrate on the rest of the metagame. The only thing I believe we didn't try hard enough(and weren't able to) is beating his planking, but the rest, yeah, we gave it our all. And it didn't work.
Of course I completely agree that LGL is arbitrary, hell I agree with this whole paragraph except for the last sentence.

Catering to one character is bad in concept for many reasons. The first is that it's hypocritical to say he isn't a problem by doing this. Second, there's absolutely no reason we should have to make any one specific character more important than another. Third, and possibly the most important, is that we are refusing to outright hit the problem at its core. Which is to ban him. If he's enough of an issue to cater every single rule to him, and absolutely no one else is affected, then that's a line you went over. Finally, it's beyond pitiful to outright nerf a character multiple times instead of removing it. There's no legitimate reason to cater to him whatsoever, when nobody else gets any real attention anymore.
-The first reason is trying to persuade me rather than convincing me. I mean "Oh noes! I'm hypocritical! That suddenly means the reasons I think catering to one character is not bad suck!!"

Please give me actual reasons and let's leave each others personal feelings outside of this.

-The second reason is making the initial situation look in a way I don't agree with, I don't anybody in the community forced MK to be what he is, he naturally evolved in the ruleset we were using and now most people don't like it the way it has become, that's all there is to it.

-The third reason I disagree with because MK has been banned in the end, we're just still arguing about it and you guys don't seem to understand why we're still against it apparently or else I think the problem has been solved for you guys AND because you are mentioning something you haven't explained yet AKA why is it an issue to cater every single rule to him and why cater every single rule to him in the first place anyway?

-The fourth reason is full of personal feeling because, what if I say "no it's not pitiful"

Why is there a need to be a legitimate reason if rules cater to him? Why do rules cater to him in the first place? Why should other characters get attention too?

See? I can repeat things too.
What is fact is that when a community has to nerf something, there's an automatic problem. It becomes tolerable if multiple characters are affected instead. It still shouldn't be needed. But when it's just one guy... don't you think we're only lying to ourselves when we say he's not a problem?
Yea okay but what I'm asking is why it becomes automatic problem? Just because you judged that it is? That doesn't make it a fact I'm sorry.

If we involve personal feelings then yes, if we're trying to give reasons to it logically, nope.

Wrong. Why? You never have had to play that character in the first place. He is not a part of the game that anybody chooses to do. You MUST play with Tripping to play the game correctly. It's not an actual choice. It's part of the official game for eternity. The whole analogy is that if we can remove it legally, it's fine. If we can't, it's not fine. Understand what my point of the analogy is first before dissecting it.
I think you forgot the part where choosing a character that is not Metaknight you can still meet other player that do use him.[/QUOTE]
He's as much part of the game for non-MK mains as he is for MK mains, HELL I think non-MK were more bothered by his presence than MK main themselves.

So I don't think the part where you say not choosing him = him not being part of the game works out.

That said I do understand the part about legality but the choice for it was a bit far-fetched.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Because the game is about all the characters. Not one. We should concentrate on multiple. The only character that matters right now is Meta Knight(which is bad by default), and we've proven that multiple times.

Because the majority of the community doesn't want to deal with it, that doesn't mean it's an obligation in any way.
So they're not interested in improving this game? But to make it worse, then. Pretty backwards logic to me.

But you haven't explained anything by saying that.

Why is it unreasonable to make tons of rules and revolve the game around one character?
Why choosing one and not the other?

Please don't make make ask those questions, since you choose to reply to me, explain your point FULLY.
Because this game is not called Super Smash Bros. Meta Knight. It was strictly meant to be based around tons and tons of options. That's already our goal as a community, to be a fun game for everyone. The nerfs themselves were meant to weaken him so the goal can be achieved. First, we both know they didn't work whatsoever. He's just as strong as when he first started, and no rule has changed. Second, why should one character be more important than over 30 characters? Oh, wait, no one should ever be the ultimate character. Every character besides him is balanced to a degree. They can all fight and win against almost any other. MK wins against everyone, and nobody can reliable beat him.

But there's also one very clear note; The game itself has over 30 different options(that's with stages too). Why are we not using them? Because of one guy. And the other major reason is that it stales the metagame and outright admits he's broken.

They don't want to. That's all there is to it. Once again it doesn't make it any sort of obligation and Japanese do not add any sort of weight to that argument.
Doesn't work that way. And they do. The LGL is universal to all regions. So they can weigh in on it since it's related to them. And that's because some people actually believe that it was ever made to make the game more interesting. The LGL was never made to prevent ledgeplay, it was meant to strictly stop MK's planking. Nothing more. The universal 50 LGL is a mask to make it look like we're treating everyone fairly. If the LGL was the same for everyone, or(mostly) different for all, I would agree with this.

Of course I completely agree that LGL is arbitrary, hell I agree with this whole paragraph except for the last sentence.
No, we put up an Arbitrary rule to fix it, instead of actually fighting against it. It was put up too early to actually shown that we couldn't beat it.

-The first reason is trying to persuade me rather than convincing me. I mean "Oh noes! I'm hypocritical! That suddenly means the reasons I think catering to one character is not bad suck!!"
Persuading is the same thing as convincing. It's the same exact goal. It kind of does suck. Because nobody is trying to improve the game by doing this, they're just trying to keep a broken character legal when they say this. This is why I implore removing the LGL in the first place. No more catering to characters.

Please give me actual reasons and let's leave each others personal feelings outside of this.
You could do the same.

-The second reason is making the initial situation look in a way I don't agree with, I don't anybody in the community forced MK to be what he is, he naturally evolved in the ruleset we were using and now most people don't like it the way it has become, that's all there is to it.
The ruleset was not the reason in itself. He evolved because players practiced with him. He's ridiculously good in the other rulesets too. The reason they don't have a problem with him is that they found a way to beat him. Blaming tons of rules for his dominance is fruitless. Likewise, our rules only cater to him strictly with the LGL and nothing more. The stages are not a problem whatsoever. Also, name a stage he's actually BAD on. He's good on them all, and broken on some.

-The third reason I disagree with because MK has been banned in the end, we're just still arguing about it and you guys don't seem to understand why we're still against it apparently or else I think the problem has been solved for you guys AND because you are mentioning something you haven't explained yet AKA why is it an issue to cater every single rule to him and why cater every single rule to him in the first place anyway?
No, we explained our reasons why hundreds of times. And I explain it before: Because this game is not about Meta Knight. Nor should it be. It should be about every character available. In addition, we cannot evolve the metagame past him and improve the rest of the characters because he exists. Sure, he can be unbanned later, and with our evolved metagames, can beat him more consistently and the issue is solved. As of this time, it is impossible to improve the metagame because of his overplayage alone. Maybe if the pocket MK's stopped coming up, this wouldn't be a problem.

-The fourth reason is full of personal feeling because, what if I say "no it's not pitiful"
No, it's the same in any game completely. No matter what game, if something is just too damn good, it gets banned. Players get banned if they cause trouble as well. They do not get rules catered to them. For the most part, you could say we're lucky that our attitude isn't against rules catering.

Why is there a need to be a legitimate reason if rules cater to him? Why do rules cater to him in the first place? Why should other characters get attention too?
In order...

1) All rules need a legitimate reason. Otherwise, it is not a rule, it's just a poor statement that reflects upon personal bias and nothing objective whatsoever.
2) Because he's too broken to be allowed in normal gameplay, apparently. I don't actually believe he should have them, keep in mind.(IDC is acceptable because of stopping stalling, but that's applies with Infinites past 300%, so the stalling is not catered to him whatsoever.)
3) Because they exist and deserve it just as much as any other. No one character in a variety of 35-some deserves it more than any other. They're all a key part of the game.

Yea okay but what I'm asking is why it becomes automatic problem? Just because you judged that it is? That doesn't make it a fact I'm sorry.
An exception to any rule is an bad inheriantly.(sp?) And it does. It's a problem because there's no excuse for ever treating anything more importantly than the rest. You want the exact reason? It's the same as discrimination. I don't even care how extreme this point is, because it's the EXACT same thing.

If we involve personal feelings then yes, if we're trying to give reasons to it logically, nope.
Logically, nobody is more important than the rest at any given time.

I think you forgot the part where choosing a character that is not Metaknight you can still meet other player that do use him.
Not in the URC tournaments. You cannot fight against him now at all. But you cannot do anything against Tripping without doing illegal activity. It's acceptable to ban Meta Knight because you can do it legally within the confines of the game. That's what the comparison is; If we can remove something legally, it's fine to do so.

He's as much part of the game for non-MK mains as he is for MK mains, HELL I think non-MK were more bothered by his presence than MK main themselves.
As are every other character, but people don't seem to believe that, now do they? They either all are, or some aren't. Likewise, no player MUST play MK anyway. It's completely an option and nothing more. We can limit this option and say no without a single change to the game in itself. Hell, it's easier to remove than items or stages.

So I don't think the part where you say not choosing him = him not being part of the game works out.
He's an intended part of the game, but it's also intended within the confines of the game that absolutely no one has to ever play as him. Kind of like Ganondorf most of the time. :awesome: Tripping isn't an option you can turn off within the confines of the game. That's the key difference.

That said I do understand the part about legality but the choice for it was a bit far-fetched.
To be completely clear, we can legally not choose to play as MK, that's all.

Thino

Smash Master
Because the game is about all the characters. Not one. We should concentrate on multiple. The only character that matters right now is Meta Knight(which is bad by default), and we've proven that multiple times.
Who decided that and why?
So they're not interested in improving this game? But to make it worse, then. Pretty backwards logic to me.
Depends what you call improving and what you call making worse.

Because this game is not called Super Smash Bros. Meta Knight. It was strictly meant to be based around tons and tons of options. That's already our goal as a community, to be a fun game for everyone. The nerfs themselves were meant to weaken him so the goal can be achieved. First, we both know they didn't work whatsoever. He's just as strong as when he first started, and no rule has changed. Second, why should one character be more important than over 30 characters? Oh, wait, no one should ever be the ultimate character. Every character besides him is balanced to a degree. They can all fight and win against almost any other. MK wins against everyone, and nobody can reliable beat him.
Yea see? that's the kind of things I want to hear.

Admitting that the community just wants to make the game more fun, rather than silly data and tournament results and money earned, all of that is a cover up.

The real core reason is that MK makes the game booooring, is that something that is really hard to say?

The game is unbalanced, if we were truly competitive we would just deal with it, but no want to have fun too so we don't we're trying to balance the game by ourselves.

That's what.

But there's also one very clear note; The game itself has over 30 different options(that's with stages too). Why are we not using them? Because of one guy. And the other major reason is that it stales the metagame and outright admits he's broken.
We chose to play the game competitively yet we don't assume what it implies and make the game evolve to.

Because we want to balance and control the metagame. For what purpose? Fun, probably.

Doesn't work that way. And they do. The LGL is universal to all regions. So they can weigh in on it since it's related to them. And that's because some people actually believe that it was ever made to make the game more interesting. The LGL was never made to prevent ledgeplay, it was meant to strictly stop MK's planking. Nothing more. The universal 50 LGL is a mask to make it look like we're treating everyone fairly. If the LGL was the same for everyone, or(mostly) different for all, I would agree with this.
Yea I know DMG already told me that, and honestly that scares me.

When making a rule why not being honest about the true purpose of what that rule is?
No, we put up an Arbitrary rule to fix it, instead of actually fighting against it. It was put up too early to actually shown that we couldn't beat it.
I agree with that.

Persuading is the same thing as convincing. It's the same exact goal. It kind of does suck. Because nobody is trying to improve the game by doing this, they're just trying to keep a broken character legal when they say this. This is why I implore removing the LGL in the first place. No more catering to characters.
and that too even though it's not for the same reason.

You could do the same.
I'm trying my best

The ruleset was not the reason in itself. He evolved because players practiced with him. He's ridiculously good in the other rulesets too. The reason they don't have a problem with him is that they found a way to beat him. Blaming tons of rules for his dominance is fruitless. Likewise, our rules only cater to him strictly with the LGL and nothing more. The stages are not a problem whatsoever. Also, name a stage he's actually BAD on. He's good on them all, and broken on some.
Yes he is good on all stages, I find it normal for a top tier character.

No, we explained our reasons why hundreds of times. And I explain it before: Because this game is not about Meta Knight. Nor should it be. It should be about every character available. In addition, we cannot evolve the metagame past him and improve the rest of the characters because he exists. Sure, he can be unbanned later, and with our evolved metagames, can beat him more consistently and the issue is solved. As of this time, it is impossible to improve the metagame because of his overplayage alone. Maybe if the pocket MK's stopped coming up, this wouldn't be a problem.
Yea but I guess those hundred times nobody asked you but I will:

WHY shouldn't the game be all about Metaknight just because there are 30 more characters?

No, it's the same in any game completely. No matter what game, if something is just too damn good, it gets banned. Players get banned if they cause trouble as well. They do not get rules catered to them. For the most part, you could say we're lucky that our attitude isn't against rules catering.
Yea but what makes MK too damn good? I mean everything you mentioned, I can only conclude that he's top tier

In order...

1) All rules need a legitimate reason. Otherwise, it is not a rule, it's just a poor statement that reflects upon personal bias and nothing objective whatsoever.
2) Because he's too broken to be allowed in normal gameplay, apparently. I don't actually believe he should have them, keep in mind.(IDC is acceptable because of stopping stalling, but that's applies with Infinites past 300%, so the stalling is not catered to him whatsoever.)
3) Because they exist and deserve it just as much as any other. No one character in a variety of 35-some deserves it more than any other. They're all a key part of the game.
1) How do you decide that a rule is legitimate? is it because you are convinced that it is? what about people who are not?

2) You state that he is broken without having proven why he is.

3)How do you decide that character "deserve" to be played? Where do you pull that reason from? Especially from a competitive point of view.

An exception to any rule is an bad inheriantly.(sp?) And it does. It's a problem because there's no excuse for ever treating anything more importantly than the rest. You want the exact reason? It's the same as discrimination. I don't even care how extreme this point is, because it's the EXACT same thing.
Yea but explain.

Why is it inherently bad.

Because if we're going to that extreme banning Metaknight IS discriminating against Metaknight.

it's the EXACT same thing.
Logically, nobody is more important than the rest at any given time.
Yea but just because the community made extra rules for him doesn't mean he's more important.

It just means they feel like he needs to be limited.

Not in the URC tournaments. You cannot fight against him now at all. But you cannot do anything against Tripping without doing illegal activity. It's acceptable to ban Meta Knight because you can do it legally within the confines of the game. That's what the comparison is; If we can remove something legally, it's fine to do so.

As are every other character, but people don't seem to believe that, now do they? They either all are, or some aren't. Likewise, no player MUST play MK anyway. It's completely an option and nothing more. We can limit this option and say no without a single change to the game in itself. Hell, it's easier to remove than items or stages.

He's an intended part of the game, but it's also intended within the confines of the game that absolutely no one has to ever play as him. Kind of like Ganondorf most of the time. :awesome: Tripping isn't an option you can turn off within the confines of the game. That's the key difference.

To be completely clear, we can legally not choose to play as MK, that's all.
I understand what you meant now.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Who decided that and why?
We did automatically by deciding to play as more than one character as a whole. If we only wanted to play as one character, we'd just choose one and stick with it. Since there is no character that everybody WILL play as, we're pretty much admitting we all have our different characters, thus, the way we play is to have natural variation. I get your point, though, and I mostly concede it.

Depends what you call improving and what you call making worse.
I'd say using the original options in the games(as in selectable ones) to improve our experience is the best way. But fair enough.

Yea see? that's the kind of things I want to hear.

Admitting that the community just wants to make the game more fun, rather than silly data and tournament results and money earned, all of that is a cover up.
Not exactly. All of that is just reasons why they also choose to do it. They added influence, which can't be denied. Some use that as their reason alone. But all of our reasons are subjective, anyway.

The real core reason is that MK makes the game booooring, is that something that is really hard to say?
Get most to admit that, I dare ya. And I completely agree. Although that's not my actual reason, it's the LGL crap that pisses me off. Exceptions is where I personally draw the line, but eh.

The game is unbalanced, if we were truly competitive we would just deal with it, but no want to have fun too so we don't we're trying to balance the game by ourselves.
Using the regular in-game options(or anything we can do without extra codes) is fixing it correctly anyway. Although to be honest, using rules to balance the game so much as finding a way the majority can enjoy is hard to say. I think it does help to balance, respectively.

We chose to play the game competitively yet we don't assume what it implies and make the game evolve to.
Well, for it to be a Competitive Game, it's just simply trying to win under a specific set of rules, nothing more. For many, they don't want randomness to decide their wins and if they can remove it easily, they will.(I won't go into whether No Tripping counts for this or not, since we both know the view on it)

Because we want to balance and control the metagame. For what purpose? Fun, probably.
Exactly.

Yea I know DMG already told me that, and honestly that scares me.
Well, this can apply to any corporation. Take Yu-Gi-Oh. Konami refuses to tell us their reasons for the bans. All we know is that they wanted it banned. I completely agree with that this should be justified without MK, and we should try it without him to make SURE we actually need it. Because I believe it's MK only in the end. If it really is that bad without MK, I'm fine with reinstating it. I just want this rule tested. :)

When making a rule why not being honest about the true purpose of what that rule is?
Because you find a way to explain it that makes the majority happy. Even if it's a lie. Making the community happy is often greater than honesty. I do agree it's bad practice regardless.

I agree with that.
Okay.

and that too even though it's not for the same reason.
Then what's your reason, please?

I'm trying my best
I very much appreciate it.

Yes he is good on all stages, I find it normal for a top tier character.
Exactly. So why does reducing a stage list to supposedly nerf him(when that won't work) seem like a good idea to people? Much like where I don't think removing RC or Brinstar would help the "MK Problem". Or, well, as I said earlier, that doing all this for one guy(and no other single character) questions if it's all worth it.

Yea but I guess those hundred times nobody asked you but I will:

WHY shouldn't the game be all about Metaknight just because there are 30 more characters?
Because it was never intended to be about him only. It was intended to be full of options for anyone to play how they want. Right now, we're still playing the game exactly as intended. In addition, if players only wanted it to be about him, they would only pick him. So, as I mentioned super early in the reply, the community has made it clear they want it to be about more than Meta Knight by now. So I'd say because the community wants variety.

The other reason is that the game becomes super stale if no other character matters and it won't last long. That, and let's be honest, MK's metagame is severely developed, but no one else's is enough. So, if we want to continue the metagame overall, every character should have the chance to improve theirs. Nah, I get what people said earlier about them improving their game against Meta Knight. This IS true, however, we've done it enough where it's just only about Meta Knight, so the other Match-ups aren't developed. So to me, atleast, I want to see the other match-ups evolve.

Yea but what makes MK too damn good? I mean everything you mentioned, I can only conclude that he's top tier
Before I go to your other points, I'd like to note that every Top Tier is banned unless it's shared with more than one character. We refer to that as God Tier, and Gods(unless it's an actual game where they suck in it, like Thor in MvC3) generally are more powerful than any other character. If MK was still in the Top Tier with other characters, his chances of being banned would be significantly lower.

1) How do you decide that a rule is legitimate? is it because you are convinced that it is? what about people who are not?
Vigorous testing and voting. Both with happen to apply to the current character in question, ironically enough.

2) You state that he is broken without having proven why he is.
It depends how you define broken, respectively. Generally, in my respective case, overdominance, rules catered to them, having their own top tier, more money made than the rest(and more than what the numbers show). I concede this point, however. Broken is subjective, and I agree. I think, in this case, that many found him broken for one of many reasons. Keep in mind I wish there was a specific line. Because yes, you're right, we didn't define it well enough or at all.

3)How do you decide that character "deserve" to be played? Where do you pull that reason from? Especially from a competitive point of view.
If a character exists, they deserve to have the chance to be played and win. No matter how hard or easy it is. I do not think Meta Knight deserves to not allowed to be played under normal rules. It's only under rules that affect him that I find it going too far. But eh.

Yea but explain.

Why is it inherently bad.

Because if we're going to that extreme banning Metaknight IS discriminating against Metaknight.
You cannot discriminate against something fictional, to clarify. Now, I do have a problem with people thinking that only MK users are against the ban, etc. Or that their view is only because they play it. That in itself is discriminating. I'd like to remind you we're still treating him as the most important when banning him, so technically, it's the same as you said, it's alright to treat him differently.

I'll repeat my stance once more; No LGL, Meta Knight unbanned. But since the LGL won't be removed, MK is no longer tolerable because of that. It goes hand in hand. He's either important enough to limit and/or ban, or he's not important enough to do either.

it's the EXACT same thing.
Discrimination only works against gender, sex, age, and any form of status. A character being banned for breaking the rules of the game(which technically is the case, since the LGL is not an actual rules within the scope of the original game, as in Stock, Time, mainly) does not count.

Yea but just because the community made extra rules for him doesn't mean he's more important.
That's exactly what it means. He's given higher priority, as in, more importance. Any stalling techniques are banned. He just happens to be the only one that has one. Any others would be banned too. The difference with the LGL is that it's only important to him. Now, if the LGL was the same(or different) for everyone, then he's given no more priority, as in importance.

It just means they feel like he needs to be limited.
Because the problem is important enough to matter. When you limit something, you're given specific importance to that area. Just like any other rule. Keep in mind that no other rule is of importance to any particular character. Same with courses. They are banned for randomness, for tactics we do not agree upon. Those courses are made importance by that alone.

I understand what you meant now.
Okay.

I'll be replying slow, since I'm busy roleplaying on another forum.

Komatik

Smash Cadet
There's nothing wrong with a top tier existing. Those are just fundamentally strong and sound characters, something Brawl definitely doesn't lack. The God tier, where other characters don't really stand a chance, is a problem. Metaknight may be the undisputed best character in the Top tier, but he's still there, not in God. Multiple good characters have fair matchups with him. Also, if we ban MK, why don't we ban characters like Diddy, Ice Climbers or Snake that also have no bad matchups?
I mean, unless I'm terribly mistaken and "Slight disadvantage" doesn't mean a roughly fair match anymore, in which case yes, Metaknight undoubtedly deserves a good smack of banhammer to the head and some nails on the coffin. But if it means a fair game with the slightest of edges to the advantaged character, Diddy, ICs and Snake are a problem. Toon Link too, with Meta Knight gone.

But somehow these aren't a problem, yet MK is? Why is that?

The fun argument for banning is acceptable to me, because at least it is honest.

As far as the stalling goes, I'll reiterate that much of the stalling problem also stems from your tournament format where a single round is very long, and timing someone out from an advantaged position isn't a minute and a half at most, but something closer to five to seven minutes of bull****. Characters like MK and to a lesser extent others are surely a part of the problem, but acting like it's all Metaknight is disingenuous at best in my opinion.

The stage matter is also curious insofar that if a stage is severely unbalanced, in most other games they'd quickly conclude that the stage/map is bull**** and throw it out. This happened during the course of both Starcraft games where they determined map characteristics that severely advantaged or disadvantaged certain factions and generally removed the offending maps from the pool and mafde new ones that weren't broken. Much of Starcraft 1 was balanced by mapmaking alone. Maps/stages are a large part of balance in addition to the factions/characters themselves.

Finally, it's been brought up again and again that America apparently has a rather rotten attitude to competition. Why not try changing that? A ban on Meta Knight is treating the symptom of going for gimmick-wins (in the form of stalling, tierwhoring and huge focus on counterpicking) over solid play instead of treating the root cause of the disease.

Steam

Smash Hero
many of the matchups in the past that have been considered evenish usually go to a strong MK advantage once MKs actually learn the matchup... it's been that way from the beginning.

and Snake, diddy, ICs all have multiple bad matchups that hold them back.

MK is the only massive problem when it comes to stalling, other characters can do it, with waaay mroe difficulty most of the time.

with 35 characters it's impossible to balance with stages, every stage is going to be bull**** in multiple matchups because of the sheer diversity and number of possible matchups. balancing like that is only plausible with a very small number of characters.

a ban on MK is dealing with the root cause, not the other way around. for the entire life of this game we've been putting limits in to nerf him more and more, hoping it would balance him out... but MK just finds new ways to win.

etecoon

Smash Hero
snake doesn't have bad MU's, there's a difference between disadvantaged and BAD

I don't believe diddy does either really

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's also a difference between your opinions and someone else's

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't think you'll find a lot of snake mains that think he gets absolutely bodied by anyone, I'm not just saying something because I think it, this is the consensus. snake's disadvantaged MU's are all still very winnable

and this goes back to how bad america's competitive attitude is, everyone just wants to blame their character, it's embarrassing.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If only someone could master the Dedede infinite then Snake would have a bad MU, but meh it's too hard.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Maybe we'll see it next time he fights a Snake but regular CG is easier and more reliable. I don't think it's physicall / humanly possible to net more damage via the "infinite" than the regular CG lol.
I really don't think 9B can do that <_<

:059:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I think I have a replay of me somewhere on my SD card stringing together 8 in a row using the Dual Sticking method that I told the DDD Boards that made it "humanly possible" at least for me.

However, I tripped on number 9, realized that I'd never play that character competitively, and stopped practicing it lol

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
That might be enough to tip the match-up into DDDs favor again for a while. But I think once Snake players are getting more on point to avoid the infinite / CG alltogether the match-up will become even again *shrug*

:059:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If it is physically possible to do then why aren't people praticing it? Why do people consider stuff too hard but japanese are still able to pull them off pretty well. Like single naner locks.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
The single naner lock with Sopo of all characters is easy in comparison to the number of inputs needed for the DDD Infinite on Snake

I also thinks the coordination requires a custom control scheme. I couldn't even imagine trying to claw it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If it's that much easier then why does no one use it? Why don't Brawl players practice the little techskill we need to play this game? :(

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Let's just get all the really bad posters to post in here and then we can get things done in other threads

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
People are not going to drop an entire game because of one character. We ban items(albeit, they need more testing), Stages(most have been tested enough), as well. If we can ban them, we can ban a character. He is not immune to this.

That 76%, which is official data anyway, clearly tell us what they want. And dismissing the data is also bullcrap. What's also scrubby is ignoring what the community showed they wanted.

Then why is banning him a problem if he's not interesting to you at all?

He already did. It discourages people to try out new characters and up their metagames. That is, against characters NOT named Meta Knight.

What's equally scrubby is applying a poorly ideal Double Standard. Either they're all bannable, or nothing is. A character is just as much of an option or an item and Stage. We choose not to play them, and they're all equally easy to enforce. No Double Standards.

Casuals, by one definition, is the idea of not playing it competitively. However, this is for competitive gameplay. If they want to go to the tournaments, they will. Now they can win just by playing. The playing field itself isn't nearly as bad once we remove the bat.

All the more reason to ban him. And then it should be scrubby for Street Fighter players to ban Akuma, despite clearly being broken. It sounds just as bad, now doesn't it?

In addition, one thing people need to realize is that the scrubby attitude means nada in actual gameplay. Eliminating problems to have an more unique gameplay is the goal of the actual rules list. It's only scrubby if we don't test it out well enough to know it's a problem. Some stages and Meta Knight were the only things given enough testing(Pictochat, for example) to figure out it's just unfit for fun gameplay for the majority of the players. Likewise, getting more players is better, and if we want more players, we should cater to them more. Vast majority spoke. But if people think it's the only reason MK got banned, you're wrong. It's just one of many.
I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, but I think the issue is that we have a scrubby community who bans characters because they're 'too good', which as I've said, is dumb. BUT since we HAVE this scrubtastic community, MK probably needs to be banned if we want to survive.
The difference between Super Turbo Akuma and MK is that MK was made with the theory and mechanics of Brawl in mind Akuma was not. If you imported Brawl Minus Sephiroth into tournaments, he would clearly need to be banned. That's Akuma. Akuma has set ups that are literally not stoppable by any reasonable measure. MK does not. (UNLESS you count planking, which I feel is broken and should be banned, which is hard to do. which just goes back to the fact that this game is ********.) It's a different situation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, but I think the issue is that we have a scrubby community who bans characters because they're 'too good', which as I've said, is dumb. BUT since we HAVE this scrubtastic community, MK probably needs to be banned if we want to survive.
He's already banned, so the "needs to be" is thrown out the window. It's not dumb at all. It's the only reason guys like Akuma got banned. Because of "too good". It doesn't matter that Akuma is definitely more powerful in comparison. They're both in God Tier and both apply the same way.(and yes, our official Tier List lists him as God Tier, not Top Tier, btw)

The difference between Super Turbo Akuma and MK is that MK was made with the theory and mechanics of Brawl in mind Akuma was not.
Doesn't ultimately matter, since the mechanics in the end still benefit him. What I agree with here is only that if we striked stages and items slowly, he might have not been an issue. But that's a theory, and we can't go back in time. As of right now, in the game we play(including with counterpicks, no items, and multiple courses), he's too good.

If you imported Brawl Minus Sephiroth into tournaments, he would clearly need to be banned. That's Akuma. Akuma has set ups that are literally not stoppable by any reasonable measure. MK does not. (UNLESS you count planking, which I feel is broken and should be banned, which is hard to do. which just goes back to the fact that this game is ********.) It's a different situation.
You cannot ban Planking in any possible way. And nobody's planking is that ridiculous enough that we need an LGL(except the obvious). As for your "hacks", well, they don't matter. A better comparison would be if we could play as Tabuu who is ridiculously powerful. He's(especially on intense) would be more like the Akuma. But the only comparison that really shows is that both Akuma and MK are in God Tier of their respective games. Yes, obviously, the differences between God and Top Tier in the different games much weaker. But that doesn't change the point anyway. If a character at the top had their own Tier, they're too good by that alone. MK is not unbeatable, obviously. Hell, Akuma is not(just almost impossible). In addition, let's keep in mind that they're completely different games with different rules. The "stage actually matters" thing plays a big role in SSBB(and the other versions).

Only characters matter in most fighting games. Thus, characters alone are not taken into account. Let's say every game was played on Battlefield(a very neutral stage) as is. Okay, now, the question is, who's the best on there? Most would(if not all) argue Meta Knight. Now, name a course that MK sucks on. Most of them are banned, if not all. Next, let's see why they're banned. If they're banned for their own reasons, then they should stay banned. But some could come back, maybe.

So, if we can use the counterpick system to lower his power, I am fine with this. Because then, atleast, he won't win nearly as much, and the counterpicking system did its job.(note, that the LGL has done nothing to weaken MK, so it is useless in that regard) I won't go into the whole "is counterpicking a good idea or not", since anybody else can argue that. All that matters is that all countries use it, and it's a major part of the actual SSB Tourney system.(most, if not all, high-end tourneys use it)

I will not disagree with us being scrubby for banning stuff in general. Although we have tested Meta Knight to say the ban is reasonable enough, but yeah.

Thino

Smash Master
We did automatically by deciding to play as more than one character as a whole. If we only wanted to play as one character, we'd just choose one and stick with it. Since there is no character that everybody WILL play as, we're pretty much admitting we all have our different characters, thus, the way we play is to have natural variation. I get your point, though, and I mostly concede it.
That doesn't make sense.

I mean just because WE decide to choose the character we play doesn't mean the game, especially when it comes to the competitive side of it, should be around all the characters, I don't see how the two things are related.

Plus just because MK is top tier doesn't mean the game is all about it, AFAIK there are a lot of people that play characters that are not MK.

Not exactly. All of that is just reasons why they also choose to do it. They added influence, which can't be denied. Some use that as their reason alone. But all of our reasons are subjective, anyway.
Bingo.

Get most to admit that, I dare ya. And I completely agree. Although that's not my actual reason, it's the LGL crap that pisses me off. Exceptions is where I personally draw the line, but eh.
I'd get at least anyone that tries to argue that part with me to admit that

Using the regular in-game options(or anything we can do without extra codes) is fixing it correctly anyway. Although to be honest, using rules to balance the game so much as finding a way the majority can enjoy is hard to say. I think it does help to balance, respectively.

Well, for it to be a Competitive Game, it's just simply trying to win under a specific set of rules, nothing more. For many, they don't want randomness to decide their wins and if they can remove it easily, they will.(I won't go into whether No Tripping counts for this or not, since we both know the view on it)

Exactly.
Yea, you know it's the whole deal of trying to balance the game for the sake of fun is what bothers me but since it's what the community WANTS, oh well..

for me "fixing" and "balance" a game that is not balanced in the first place has nothing to do with competitiveness

Well, this can apply to any corporation. Take Yu-Gi-Oh. Konami refuses to tell us their reasons for the bans. All we know is that they wanted it banned. I completely agree with that this should be justified without MK, and we should try it without him to make SURE we actually need it. Because I believe it's MK only in the end. If it really is that bad without MK, I'm fine with reinstating it. I just want this rule tested. :)

Because you find a way to explain it that makes the majority happy. Even if it's a lie. Making the community happy is often greater than honesty. I do agree it's bad practice regardless.
We are just a community playing a game competitively, how about we drop all the hierarchy kind of things, like BBR, URC, URS and just have the TOs do whatever they want and whatever raises their attendance regardless of the region

I mean it can work that way too right?

That way we can drop the corporation attitude

Then what's your reason, please?
My reason is because LGL was already pretty useless in the first place, but even more now that

Exactly. So why does reducing a stage list to supposedly nerf him(when that won't work) seem like a good idea to people? Much like where I don't think removing RC or Brinstar would help the "MK Problem". Or, well, as I said earlier, that doing all this for one guy(and no other single character) questions if it's all worth it.
Don't ask me, I think it's useless personally since MK is good on all these stages.

Because it was never intended to be about him only. It was intended to be full of options for anyone to play how they want. Right now, we're still playing the game exactly as intended. In addition, if players only wanted it to be about him, they would only pick him. So, as I mentioned super early in the reply, the community has made it clear they want it to be about more than Meta Knight by now. So I'd say because the community wants variety.
Yea in the end, it's what it's all about, what the community wants, regardless if it's for fun or justified.

I mean who are you or anyone else for that matter, to decide what was "intended" or not?

The other reason is that the game becomes super stale if no other character matters and it won't last long. That, and let's be honest, MK's metagame is severely developed, but no one else's is enough. So, if we want to continue the metagame overall, every character should have the chance to improve theirs. Nah, I get what people said earlier about them improving their game against Meta Knight. This IS true, however, we've done it enough where it's just only about Meta Knight, so the other Match-ups aren't developed. So to me, atleast, I want to see the other match-ups evolve.
The reason it wouldn't last long is not because the game would become stale.

It's because people in the community don't like staleness, that's why it would actually kill this community.

That's the only reason why we created such artificial needs such as controlling the balance and the metagame, things that would otherwise be completely ignored.

Before I go to your other points, I'd like to note that every Top Tier is banned unless it's shared with more than one character. We refer to that as God Tier, and Gods(unless it's an actual game where they suck in it, like Thor in MvC3) generally are more powerful than any other character. If MK was still in the Top Tier with other characters, his chances of being banned would be significantly lower.
What are you using as a reference to say that?

Or let me guess.. is it ST Akuma?

Vigorous testing and voting. Both with happen to apply to the current character in question, ironically enough.
Yea but that's your definition of legitimate.

It depends how you define broken, respectively. Generally, in my respective case, overdominance, rules catered to them, having their own top tier, more money made than the rest(and more than what the numbers show). I concede this point, however. Broken is subjective, and I agree. I think, in this case, that many found him broken for one of many reasons. Keep in mind I wish there was a specific line. Because yes, you're right, we didn't define it well enough or at all.
Bingo.

If a character exists, they deserve to have the chance to be played and win. No matter how hard or easy it is. I do not think Meta Knight deserves to not allowed to be played under normal rules. It's only under rules that affect him that I find it going too far. But eh.
YEP.

Even though I disagree on the "I exist therefore I deserve to have a chance to be played with" for a video game character, when applied to MK it means that what is unfair is that he gets rules catered to him in the first place.

NOT Banning him because he gets too many rules catered to him.

You cannot discriminate against something fictional, to clarify.
You started that.

Now, I do have a problem with people thinking that only MK users are against the ban, etc. Or that their view is only because they play it. That in itself is discriminating. I'd like to remind you we're still treating him as the most important when banning him, so technically, it's the same as you said, it's alright to treat him differently.
oh I don't believe that misconception. I, myself, am a Lucario main and I know some MK mains are actually pro-ban.

Secondly the fact that we banned him means ONLY people who agree with the ban think its's okay to treat him differently.

I'll repeat my stance once more; No LGL, Meta Knight unbanned. But since the LGL won't be removed, MK is no longer tolerable because of that. It goes hand in hand. He's either important enough to limit and/or ban, or he's not important enough to do either.
Well, that is kinda sad for us anti-bans.

Discrimination only works against gender, sex, age, and any form of status. A character being banned for breaking the rules of the game(which technically is the case, since the LGL is not an actual rules within the scope of the original game, as in Stock, Time, mainly) does not count.
Let me clarify one thing:

The rules MK breaks are not the GAME's rules they're the COMMUNITY's, people tend to mix those two up.

Or else, yes I agree that it doesn't count.

That's exactly what it means. He's given higher priority, as in, more importance. Any stalling techniques are banned. He just happens to be the only one that has one. Any others would be banned too. The difference with the LGL is that it's only important to him. Now, if the LGL was the same(or different) for everyone, then he's given no more priority, as in importance.
I don't think so, I think its only natural for a community that dislike stalling to prevent characters from doing it, thats doesn't mean giving him higher priority or importance.

Because the problem is important enough to matter. When you limit something, you're given specific importance to that area. Just like any other rule. Keep in mind that no other rule is of importance to any particular character. Same with courses. They are banned for randomness, for tactics we do not agree upon. Those courses are made importance by that alone.
Nah we don't have the same definition of what importance is.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That doesn't make sense.

I mean just because WE decide to choose the character we play doesn't mean the game, especially when it comes to the competitive side of it, should be around all the characters, I don't see how the two things are related.

Plus just because MK is top tier doesn't mean the game is all about it, AFAIK there are a lot of people that play characters that are not MK.
Yeah, we honestly do. If we, the community, wanted the game to be around one character, we would only actually care about that one. But we don't. We actually overall want variety. And he's not Top Tier, he's GOD Tier. Top Tier is for 2 or more characters at the top of the metagame. God Tier is for one character total. They are completely separate from eachother. A character must be significantly better than the rest of the cast to ever hit a God Tier.

That doesn't matter in the end. Every rule on here is also subjective. The most objective way is to take an overall vote on what the community wants. That's a good influence, but we both agree with that anyway.

I'd get at least anyone that tries to argue that part with me to admit that
But still not the majority. Right now, not enough people want the LGL removed, still believing its purpose is to make the overall game better. When it's just to stop a subjective tactic.

Yea, you know it's the whole deal of trying to balance the game for the sake of fun is what bothers me but since it's what the community WANTS, oh well...
That's the only reason to even balance the game, though. So the players can enjoy it. That was why we bothered with a LGL(even if it's based completely off of subjectively).

for me "fixing" and "balance" a game that is not balanced in the first place has nothing to do with competitiveness
Once again, you keep using the wrong word. Brawl is not Competitive. The players are. Brawl is a Competitive Game under the condition we put rules into it. Every game can be competitive when players make it that way. No matter how luck-based or crappy it is. M.U.G.E.N.'s competitive even with only Kung Fu Man. It's the players, not the game.

We are just a community playing a game competitively, how about we drop all the hierarchy kind of things, like BBR, URC, URS and just have the TOs do whatever they want and whatever raises their attendance regardless of the region
That would be horrible. There is no metagame without consistency. Without a metagame, the competition might as well not exist. You want competitive Smash? You need specific rules and enough tourneys with the SAME rules. Unless you don't want a metagame, tiers, every item and every course on. It doesn't work, and becomes casual. Tourneys are not competitive games by default. It's only when the rules become very specific. Casual Smash can still be tourney-based, and that's why you're aiming for with the quoted paragraph, or atleast that's the intention of it. That stuff should NOT be dropped at any time.

I mean it can work that way too right?
Nope. It's completely different, and we'd have to kill this entire subforum to do so.

That way we can drop the corporation attitude
I'd rather have that than a bunch of random tourneys with no consistent rules whatsoever.

My reason is because LGL was already pretty useless in the first place, but even more now that
When it only affected Meta Knight, it helped. It was far from useless, but now it is without him.

Don't ask me, I think it's useless personally since MK is good on all these stages.
Exactly why changing stages around for him is just as useless. Nothing we can do will weaken him outside of really stupid ideas(taking away his B moves) or hacks.

Yea in the end, it's what it's all about, what the community wants, regardless if it's for fun or justified.
Mostly. Not every rule is voted upon, and some are put up because of the TO only. They're influences, but not straight out the only reason.

I mean who are you or anyone else for that matter, to decide what was "intended" or not?
The box itself, the one I own, specifically intends the game to be played with multiple characters and multiple options. So we're still following the intention. Sakurai's intention was all items, characters, and stages. But the game itself is slightly different. And I'd say the original creator's intention matters. So overall, he wants everything playable and used.

The reason it wouldn't last long is not because the game would become stale.

It's because people in the community don't like staleness, that's why it would actually kill this community.
There is no difference here. It kills the community because it's stale. I don't get the point of why you just repeated what I said.

That's the only reason why we created such artificial needs such as controlling the balance and the metagame, things that would otherwise be completely ignored.
Yep.

What are you using as a reference to say that?

Or let me guess.. is it ST Akuma?
Ivan Ooze, Algol, Abyss. All three are bosses and completely in their own tier when they were banned. Being bosses wasn't the point, it was the fact that they happened to be members of the God Tier, on their own.

Yea but that's your definition of legitimate.
Except it can't be legitimate if not proven. That's why every rule is far from legit if not proven. That's why we call LGL illegitimate, because planking(not definable) was never proven a true problem. If it was, it would've applied to all characters RIGHT away.

The most general definition happens to be winning too much/unbeatable. Makes sense logically.

YEP.

Even though I disagree on the "I exist therefore I deserve to have a chance to be played with" for a video game character, when applied to MK it means that what is unfair is that he gets rules catered to him in the first place.

NOT Banning him because he gets too many rules catered to him.
He's got two rules catered to him, I'd like to note. First one is completely legit and is just to stop stalling, of which is affects Infinites too. So it's more or less a stalling rule. HOWEVER, in Melee, many got Stalling rules added to them. So the stalling thing was not made up for him, so I wouldn't call that a problem. It's just the LGL that goes too far. And that's enough of a reason to ban him in the first place. Nobody gets treated differently, nobody.

You started that.
Nope, you cannot legally do it. They do not exist in any reality of the situation. Likewise, Discrimination has only applies to statuses.

"treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination."

On his own merit, he's good enough to get his own Tier. So he no longer applies to a grouping problem. He has no class or category either. He's just an option like everything else. There's no racial or religious(same with age) problems. Thus, no discrimination. That, and since something of everything else is banned, it'd be discrimination if we didn't allow characters to be treated equally as all options, hence the Double Standard argument brought up before.

oh I don't believe that misconception. I, myself, am a Lucario main and I know some MK mains are actually pro-ban.
Exactly.

Secondly the fact that we banned him means ONLY people who agree with the ban think its's okay to treat him differently.
Wrong. I don't think it's okay to treat him differently at all. I think he should not banned as long as the LGL does not exist. Your statement is false.

Well, that is kinda sad for us anti-bans.
If he's not a problem like you say he is, he wouldn't need that rule in the first place.

Let me clarify one thing:

The rules MK breaks are not the GAME's rules they're the COMMUNITY's, people tend to mix those two up.

Or else, yes I agree that it doesn't count.
Thus, he's being banned according to the community's rules. Only stuff that breaks the game's rules is obviously hacks. We're on the same page of why the Double Standard applies, and that Discrimination does not.

I don't think so, I think its only natural for a community that dislike stalling to prevent characters from doing it, thats doesn't mean giving him higher priority or importance.
That's why I don't count the IDC rule. Because stalling is applied to everyone overall. Since almost everybody can do it. It does not hinder the characters or make characters lose because of an Arbritary rule. Characters won't normally lose due to the 300% rule. The LGL, which is impossible to count outside of the end of the game, however, does cause more losses, and it's pretty much impossible to make sure you don't go over.

Nah we don't have the same definition of what importance is.
Something's more important if it's given more credit than something else. Or more weight, significance, etc. If something's made specifically for one character(the LGL is), then it's more important to him. I agree that the IDC makes MK more important anyway. But the LGL is just plain worse, since not every character even requires it. Or needs 50, or requires more to have any usable planking.

Komatik

Smash Cadet
Your definition of God tier is weird to me, HyperFalcon. The way I've gotten used to defining tiers is closer to Sirlin's way of doing it: The tiers exist independently and characters are then placed in them. (S/God: Characters the rest of the cast doesn't stand a chance against, A: Fundamentally strong and solid characters that aren't completely ridiculous in a ST Akuma-ish manner, and do well against most of the cast.)

ST Akuma is God. I'd argue Meta Knight isn't. He's at the top of the Top Tier completely undisputedly, agreed. But he doesn't break the game asunder the way ST Akuma's ridiculous properties or his unavoidable Demon setups do in HDR.
(As an amusing sidenote, SC4 Algol isn't broken, he's banned because people QQ. The kind of fate that befell SC2 Necrid as well. Equally amusingly, SC4 Hilde was banned because she has an autokill combo, something we happily accept in Smash.)

Meta Knight is nowhere near that. That is, he is not broken. (at least in a combat capacity. The stalling may be another matter) What is not broken should not be banned unless it kills the community, which Meta Knight doesn't. Or do you think Meta Knight is God Tier under the power-based definition I presented?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Your definition of God tier is weird to me, HyperFalcon. The way I've gotten used to defining tiers is closer to Sirlin's way of doing it: The tiers exist independently and characters are then placed in them. (S/God: Characters the rest of the cast doesn't stand a chance against, A: Fundamentally strong and solid characters that aren't completely ridiculous in a ST Akuma-ish manner, and do well against most of the cast.)
You just described Meta Knight, except he does good against them all, and is still in his own God Tier. I'm not going by some definition, I'm going by the fact it's still called God Tier, and he's still the only member of it.

ST Akuma is God. I'd argue Meta Knight isn't. He's at the top of the Top Tier completely undisputedly, agreed. But he doesn't break the game asunder the way ST Akuma's ridiculous properties or his unavoidable Demon setups do in HDR.
(As an amusing sidenote, SC4 Algol isn't broken, he's banned because people QQ. The kind of fate that befell SC2 Necrid as well. Equally amusingly, SC4 Hilde was banned because she has an autokill combo, something we happily accept in Smash.)
Algol was banned because he's both a boss and has super easy to use Projectiles. In the type of game he's in, he's indeed broken. The gameplay is about close-up fighting, where range isn't as heavy of an issue. Projectiles are indeed broken by how the game is played. Necrid was banned for being broken in himself. So was Abyss. Starkiller was banned for lagging up the system online. Yoda was banned for being too short, avoiding throws, thus, having an unfair advantage against the rest of the cast. In the current game state, a good chunk of the cast can barely touch MK, only a select few do well against him, but nobody has yet to go even with him without that damn LGL. But anyway, something to keep in mind; A broken character in one game is only broken by how the game works. Soul Calibur uses an HP system, and one life, not 3(on a single match). Thus, an autokill combo is beyond devastating. In Smash, it's far from it. It's harder to pull it off more than once, and we even have it up to only 300%(which is easy to tell anyway).

Meta Knight is nowhere near that. That is, he is not broken. (at least in a combat capacity. The stalling may be another matter) What is not broken should not be banned unless it kills the community, which Meta Knight doesn't. Or do you think Meta Knight is God Tier under the power-based definition I presented?
First, Brawl has no real combos, so comparing him to a character in a completely different game has no use with the way you're doing it. You need to compare them only in the context of things. In the context, Meta Knight is indeed broken because nobody actually stances a chance against him in any consistent manner. Not one character. And he does kill the community, which was proven already because the entire metagame is based around him, which makes the game STALE, and we've lost many people because of him. We're still getting better tourney turnouts, new character metagames, specifically, against characters NOT named Meta Knight.

God Tier is pretty much this; Nobody beats him and nobody is on the same level as him. If somebody has as many even match-ups as him, and had the same plusses, I could believe somebody's on his level. However, that's NOT the case. Not only has he been labeled God Tier the SECOND he got his own(since that's the term we're using in Smash, and if that's you're problem, you're best off arguing with the Tier List creators and not me), it's been more than one Tier List that this has happened. He's never been thrown into Top Tier with Diddy, Snake, Falco, or the rest of the Top Tier. Until he's forced back into Top Tier(like the other 7 characters, even if they're are two different levels), he'll be stuck in God Tier.

And let's clarify something;

There is only one God Tier, and only one character exists in it. Also, note, that the God Tier was made for MK alone. So he created it on his own. If he wasn't that good, it would have never happened. In addition, if he wasn't just that damn good, he still wouldn't be keeping it. Japan, Europe, they still put him in God Tier. He's God Tier everywhere, universally, unless you count some random casual player who made his own crappy Tier List. In an items Tier List, I could see an exception here, but that's not the regular Tournaments anyway, and those are where MK is banned, so... yeah.

Komatik

Smash Cadet
You just described Meta Knight, except he does good against them all, and is still in his own God Tier. I'm not going by some definition, I'm going by the fact it's still called God Tier, and he's still the only member of it.
I rename Ganon Tier into God Tier. Thus, Ganon is God Tier. He's also the only character in God Tier. I guess we need to ban him.
The God Tier argument in the form you present it is meaningless:
To most people, to argue that something is God Tier is to argue that said something is absurdly broken, especially in comparison to the rest of the top tier characters in the game. That some people call some tier God doesn't make a case for banning, the actual power has to be there. And the God Tier doesn't have to consist of one character alone, not at all. It can very easily be a small handful, especially if the cast is large.

Also, which one did you consider the description of Meta Knight?
1: A character the rest of the cast basically doesn't stand a chance against
2: A fundamentally strong and solid character that isn't completely ridiculous in a ST Akuma-ish manner, and does well against most of the cast.

If the first, you are wrong. If the second, I wholeheartedly agree.

Algol was banned because he's both a boss and has super easy to use Projectiles. In the type of game he's in, he's indeed broken. The gameplay is about close-up fighting, where range isn't as heavy of an issue. Projectiles are indeed broken by how the game is played.
Necrid was banned for being broken in himself.
Just as a note, this says nothing about Algol's power level. He is strong, unusual and easy to use, but as far as I know, not absurdly (or at all) stronger than the rest of the cast. By that token, would you call Viola in SC5 broken, for example? She also zones with ball-things. There is bad design and then there is gamebreaking power.
As far as I know the Necrid ban is nowadays considered pretty silly.

In the current game state, a good chunk of the cast can barely touch MK, only a select few do well against him, but nobody has yet to go even with him without that damn LGL. But anyway, something to keep in mind; A broken character in one game is only broken by how the game works. Soul Calibur uses an HP system, and one life, not 3(on a single match). Thus, an autokill combo is beyond devastating. In Smash, it's far from it. It's harder to pull it off more than once, and we even have it up to only 300%(which is easy to tell anyway).

First, Brawl has no real combos, so comparing him to a character in a completely different game has no use with the way you're doing it. You need to compare them only in the context of things. In the context, Meta Knight is indeed broken because nobody actually stances a chance against him in any consistent manner. Not one character.
I am apparently hallucinating that 0 against Pika and all those -1's for other good characters. Again, unless "Slight disadvantage" actually means something else than "roughly fair match", your argument is completely wrong.

And he does kill the community, which was proven already because the entire metagame is based around him, which makes the game STALE, and we've lost many people because of him. We're still getting better tourney turnouts, new character metagames, specifically, against characters NOT named Meta Knight.
Has tournament attendance really almost died? And duh, of course a widely used, all around solid character that's easy to learn makes a metagame revolve around him to an extent. Again, partially an American attitude problem, partially just par for the course. That's like playing SSF4 AE 2012 and not practicing against Ryu (who's also strong, all around solid, easy to pick up and played by a monster like Daigo. => Ryus, Ryus everywhere).

God Tier is pretty much this; Nobody beats him and nobody...
*SNIP*
...but that's not the regular Tournaments anyway, and those are where MK is banned, so... yeah.
This is all an argument about the name. Not about power. You don't ban by name, you ban by power. Being the undisputed best isn't a crime. Being broken is. These are not the same thing.

zmx

Smash Lord
"First, Brawl has no real combos,"

Brawl has plenty of true-combos especially at low percents. A true combo is defined as a string of attacks that are unavoidable by any means. For instance, Ike's backthrow-dash attack is a true combo at certain percents. Also Ice Climbers say hi.

Brawl also has a near infinite amount of pseudo combos. A pseudo combo is defined as a string of attacks that are avoidable in some way but still work due to players not knowing how to avoid it or being in a position where they can't.

zmx

Smash Lord
If it's that much easier then why does no one use it? Why don't Brawl players practice the little techskill we need to play this game? :(
I wouldn't say it's "little techskill". Brawl runs on a 10 frame buffer system. So ideally the fastest players will need to be buffering most of their moves 10 frames before hand. That's one of the reasons you might notice that top players seem much faster than you think should be possible with their characters. They are technically playing in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom