• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

Scooach

Smash Cadet
I have a few questions... I'm relatively new to Falco and can do a few things like pillars and shine bairs and nairs, but I was wondering how should I go about practicing waveshining? Falco's jump is delayed and I can hardly even wavedash with him. Also I'm not a big fan of the C-Stick but I've heard about how much easier it is to use. How should I begin training myself to use it? I've tried and I find I just go back to using the A button either way. Last, what other techs should I ween into my repertoire, and how should I practice those? Thanks for the help.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
I have a few questions... I'm relatively new to Falco and can do a few things like pillars and shine bairs and nairs, but I was wondering how should I go about practicing waveshining? Falco's jump is delayed and I can hardly even wavedash with him. Also I'm not a big fan of the C-Stick but I've heard about how much easier it is to use. How should I begin training myself to use it? I've tried and I find I just go back to using the A button either way. Last, what other techs should I ween into my repertoire, and how should I practice those? Thanks for the help.
WDing should technically be easier with Falco since it's delayed. i don't know why you can't WD with him but you can with the rest of the cast. Keep practicing i guess.

I used only A for aerials a while ago, and i knew i had to switch. took me less than a couple of days to make the complete switch. just practice shffl dairs with falco all day using only the c-stick. when you are so good at it that you can do it in your sleep, do shffl bairs and uairs (and fairs i guess). then you'll get used to using the c-stick only.

after you get through that, pick lvl1 cpu fox and just keep pillaring them while waveshining after the shine. and yeah there you go.

bolt.

Smash Ace
Should I ever reverse idjdl? It seems like retreating laser would be a lot better and I never see anyone do it in matches, but I maybe I might be missing something useful.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Retreating lasers are to cover your arse, so why makes yourself even more vulnerable by throwing away your DJ?

Unless they're really far and you want to be cool.

bolt.

Smash Ace
Retreating lasers are to cover your arse, so why makes yourself even more vulnerable by throwing away your DJ?

Unless they're really far and you want to be cool.
I know its hella risky, but maybe if I run away and do it on the side of a stage near the edge after the platform ends...

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i cant for the life of me do a isai drop or platform drop to laser well at all.

i stick to plain ole run off lasers lol.

i find im really bad at platform camping lasers though. I have this mental block that because i cant fall through the platform fast enough, i shouldnt be going up there with lasers to begin with. its really strange i cant explain it.

screw this game for havign so many small things that may or may not be important

S l o X

Smash Champion
I can't seem to choose between Red and Blue. Out of Melee, Red is definitely my favorite color and I think the color is just sexy on Falco but Blue definitely goes with FALCO. I'm leaning towards red...(:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I can't seem to choose between Red and Blue. Out of Melee, Red is definitely my favorite color and I think the color is just sexy on Falco but Blue definitely goes with FALCO. I'm leaning towards red...(:
just get texture hacks and use black falco.

Spife

Smash Master
or go green.
everyone knows in the real world birds go with green to blend in with the foliage. Although after kills they're covered in blood...blue falco means he's recently been in water there for not taking anything seriously (which would be a good mind game)...

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
in the real world, if you're black people don't **** with you.

*opens a history book*

oh... my bad guys.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i use texture hacks and i have to say, black falco is pretty awful.

not because the texture hack itself is ugly, but black and brown just dont suit the character imo.

i also started with red but now i use green in honor of forward.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
That picture *****.

Edit: I'm thinking of doing a write-up on Falco vs Falcon because I know that stuff and I don't help out as much as I should.

Thoughts?

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
idk pp even though that matchup is supposed to be **** in falco's favor (i think its just slightly in his favor like 60-40) id much rather see a write up on falco vs jiggs, or falco vs marth since u seemed to be do very well in those matchups (vs m2k at TO5 and beating darc at ROM phantom rests ftw :p) thats just my 2 sense i think jiggs is prob one of my favorite matchups even though its the hardest id like to get better at it. im almost maining fox cuz of her.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
falco vs jiggs isnt as hard as many people make it out to be

dont get grabbed
platform camp with dair
look for early Dtilt kills.

peopel should really be more gay vs jiggs, seriously, ever since mogwai recommended platform camping the matchup becomes so much easier for me

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
falco vs jiggs isnt as hard as many people make it out to be

dont get grabbed
platform camp with dair
look for early Dtilt kills.

peopel should really be more gay vs jiggs, seriously, ever since mogwai recommended platform camping the matchup becomes so much easier for me
yea except that dair did wat? drive her to the ground for 12%? i mean good jiggs players arent stupid, u cant just do the same thing over and over and expect to get away with it, i actually think dtilt is surprisingly hard to land, and um dont get grabbed.... yea real simple.

im not trying to discredit ur advice just saying it was pretty generalized and could be said about any matchup vs a floaty, its like saying oh dont get gimped! well like duh? doesnt help me much.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Yeah Hbox is amazing vs Falco. =(

I can talk about Marth too, but I'm not AS solid at it as Falcon. Jiggz is kinda.....eh. I'll do what I know on that one too if anyone cares.

The only reason I volunteered to talk about Falcon was because I see good Falcos making small mistakes which cost them heavily in a very momentum-based matchup.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Yeah Hbox is amazing vs Falco. =(

I can talk about Marth too, but I'm not AS solid at it as Falcon. Jiggz is kinda.....eh. I'll do what I know on that one too if anyone cares.

The only reason I volunteered to talk about Falcon was because I see good Falcos making small mistakes which cost them heavily in a very momentum-based matchup.

Do it please. I've suffered one too many severe whoopings at the hands of Falcons.

Stratford

Smash Champion
That picture *****.

Edit: I'm thinking of doing a write-up on Falco vs Falcon because I know that stuff and I don't help out as much as I should.

Thoughts?
Absolutely. You do know that stuff. I'd definitely be interested to hear what you have to say about Puff too.

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
ok so after messing around with a bunch of characters i'm back to maining falco again (yay) but i'm still having trouble with some basic stuff.

i seriously can't do the ledgehop->double lasers (at the same height). in fact, the only way i can even get double lasers is if i grab the ledge, fall, and immediately jump laser laser, but the first laser is really high (fox would punish me badly). i've tried delaying the jump after falling off the ledge but then i can get only 1 laser (and after the laser i end up phantasm-ing towards the stage lol).

also for RSHL: let's say i am on FD and i am running to the right. when i try to RSHL, i SHL so the laser goes left (so far so good) but i stay in place and have no momentum (basically wherever i start the SHL i stop and i don't continue to drift to the right). but everytime i try and do the RSHL (with momentum) i phantasm. i have done it a couple of times by accident but i have no idea how. what am i doing wrong? (P.S. do you fast fall it?)

also i can waveshine without hitting anything practically perfectly, but i can only do it like 50% of the time with hitlag. like when i am comboing fox with the dair->shine->wavedash->dair etc. etc. , i end up just short hopping out of the shine rather than waveshining. am i hitting L too early?

1 other thing. for shield pressure i usually do shffl dair->shine repeat, but i have seen shffl nair->shine repeat. which is more effective? at first i thought it was absolutely dair, but nair does do more damage (and less lag), and isn't shield stun related to damage?

THANKS.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Okay, so I just wrote lots of Falcon stuff, but I'm not done yet. Where should I post it all when I'm done? In a new thread or in here?

Top Bottom