• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

JPOBS

Smash Hero
FH Nair isn't even a good answer to shield pressure. Sounds like some funny business is afoot.

But yeah. If you are absolutely 100% positive you know when he'll do it, you can out-gimmick him. You could honestly probably WD back really far and then charge F-smash and hit him when he lands.

Not that I'd recommend anything like that, though.
yea, thats what was so wierd.

i was like "lol wut? FH nair oos? wtf is this and why is it working?"

i know its definitely not a very good answer to sheild pressure but i guess i was being pretty predictable with my sheild pressure, i fell into the thought process "if i just rush htis guy down, he'll probably lose cuz he wont know how to handle it"

i was wrong and got caught off guard. but ya, thanks for all the suggestions.

People are flawed and sometimes don't take well to strategies they are unfamiliar with.

What JPOBS really needs to do more, though, is CC Shine some of the weak Nairs that Guru and Zen hit him with at low percent and get those free 60% combos.
indeed, i'll have to start working on that.

'i assume you've seen the vids from the biweeklies then cuz you know what im talking about, any suggestions on my overall play? other than CC to **** more.

and speaking of uptilting Nairs, i do that ish as doc vs fox/falcon ALL DAI its so funny. Uptilt->grab *****

WakingTheFallen

Smash Cadet
i find it hard to do those utilts to stop nairs since you have to turn around and do one which becomes predictable and so the fox can tell when i am going to try.
like as falco i'm pretty sure most of you will agree that standing still is stupid (as you can always laser, DD, etc) so when i start to stand still the fox would automatically know i am trying to go for an anti-air move.
any suggestions on how to not be predictable with utilt?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
turn around bair more often. this is an anti-close range move, and if he doesn't run into it, the next SH turn around laser. he will want to approach you, so after a laser turn around utilt.

WakingTheFallen

Smash Cadet
turn around bair more often. this is an anti-close range move, and if he doesn't run into it, the next SH turn around laser. he will want to approach you, so after a laser turn around utilt.
that's pretty solid thanks...yeah i forgot about bairs as an anti-close range move. i think i may be laser-ing too much if that's even possible haha.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
utilt cf behind his shield only when you give him a reason to jump out of it.

falcon is ez why is he in this thread so much lol

Four

Smash Rookie
Is shine -> bair truly guaranteed if you are fast enough, or will it miss on people at high percents with away DI? Is it guaranteed when you shine them in the air?
If they are past like 300% it starts to get really hard.
Since you will NEVER let this happen in a match, to answer your question yes, they are always guaranteed if you do it right.
Pretty sure about this. Away DI by floaties...no I still think it's guarenteed

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Depends on how fast you do it. If you can do the instant one (the same speed as fox's) it will combo no matter where they DI and probably will still weak hit if they SDI. As you get slower, it becomes more likely for them to be able to DI out.

Shine is one of the hardest things to DI because its 1 frame, so if you catch them off guard they probably won't DI. This happens a lot when a fast falco does shine OoS-> instant bair.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
shines happen at fairly predictable points in time though, so I actually find DIing them not that bad at all. shine-bair is functionally guaranteed when you hit with the lower part of your shine at higher %s and the higher part of your shine at lower %s. I don't actualy know the theoretical **** on it, but the fact of the matter is that it works a whole lot when you do it right, regardless of your opponent.

Incronaut

Smash Ace
Does falco being all technical and stuff really end up with an advantage (like having more options and stuff) over someone like sheik? because sometimes i feel like im doing all this technical stuff and all sheik has to do is like d-throw -> fair or something to get a combo thats almost just as good...

not trying to be lazy, i just dont see what the advantage of doing all these shine stuff when theres easier / more reliable (ie. messing up technical stuff) alternatives out there?

Falcinho

Smash Ace
well you shouldn't be playing "as fast as you can" because that will hurt your game.
But if you can move fast without having to concentrate on the execution of the moves thats an advantage imo.

watch some vids of Faab, he's like (one of the) best Falcos in Europe and plays rather slow and defensively
He still HAS techskill tho, so a bit of practice wouldn't hurt

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Does falco being all technical and stuff really end up with an advantage (like having more options and stuff) over someone like sheik? because sometimes i feel like im doing all this technical stuff and all sheik has to do is like d-throw -> fair or something to get a combo thats almost just as good...

not trying to be lazy, i just dont see what the advantage of doing all these shine stuff when theres easier / more reliable (ie. messing up technical stuff) alternatives out there?
well, technical issues work themselves out over time. eventually, doing a shine bair is just as guaranteed as a regular bair, so you're getting a freen 7-8% by doing the shine, which is obviously a good thing. If you screw it up at first for a little while, that's fine, but it's obviously advantageous to work on getting technical combos down so that you can maximize each first hit's worth.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i used to think that too, i used to be like "i mite as well just get the free damage cuz landing a shien bair is just as garunteed as landing a normal bair"

thats until people learned to DI it realy well, and nowadays its almost pointless to go for a shine first cuz thats all i get and miss the bair. -_-

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
you hit them

you follow them

you hit them again.

thats what i know about weak bairs.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
uhhhh, faster falling dudes(Fox, Falco, CF, Sheik, Ganon, and a bunch of low tiers that I don't feel like listing). Don't expect them to always combo into utilt, that combo only worked because CF was DIing in the entire time cause he doesn't know what a combo DI is. If they DI away at mid %s to that sort of weak bair combo, it'll just set up a tech chase rather than actually comboing.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
uhhhh, faster falling dudes(Fox, Falco, CF, Sheik, Ganon, and a bunch of low tiers that I don't feel like listing). Don't expect them to always combo into utilt, that combo only worked because CF was DIing in the entire time cause he doesn't know what a combo DI is. If they DI away at mid %s to that sort of weak bair combo, it'll just set up a tech chase rather than actually comboing.
I tried DIing out the whole time. Well everything besides the uptilt because I didn't expect that to combo. =(

I suck.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
ok this has been bothering me for awhile.

Why cant you shine into an uptilt.

obviously its not JCable but if you can multishine-ie shine and not leave the ground, or be close enough to it you fall back onto it or W/E

then how come you cant shine jc the shine without jumping into something like an uptilt?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
ok this has been bothering me for awhile.

Why cant you shine into an uptilt.

obviously its not JCable but if you can multishine-ie shine and not leave the ground, or be close enough to it you fall back onto it or W/E

then how come you cant shine jc the shine without jumping into something like an uptilt?
I think your logic breaks down when you describe multi shines as JC shines. The shines aren't JCed but rather done on the first frame in the air. After shining you drift back to the ground as if you never left, even though you did.

you could shine and then let go of B and wait for the animation to end that way and then utilt. otherwise youre going to have to WD or empty sh in order to speed up the shine animation.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I think your logic breaks down when you describe multi shines as JC shines. The shines aren't JCed but rather done on the first frame in the air. After shining you drift back to the ground as if you never left, even though you did.
what do you think a JC is?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
lol, yea, teh shine's are JCed, the point you were trying to make is that the jump isn't shine cancelled :p (well, it sorta is, but you still have to leave the ground before being able to shine, the shine just stalls your momentum low enough that by the time you can jump out of that shine, you are back on the ground).

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
usmash is coded to override the start up frames of jumping due to tap jumping (if it weren't, usmashing without c-stick would require pressing up and A on the exact same frame which would be overly difficult for a casual game).

grab does the same thing, but I honestly can't think why it was coded that way.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
JC actually cancels the jump (Jump Cancel). You don't leave the ground when you JC grab or JC usmash. You start the jump animation then cancel it with the move.

multishine is more like an upward air momentum cancel (on frame 1, causing you to hit the ground again)

edit: what mogwai said

Top Bottom