• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
FD? you can't do anything but ftilt. Battlefield is just horrible, you have to be perfect with grapple, or else you die. I dont really have a favorite stage, i kinda just roll with everything.

Pi

Smash Hero
I stand by this statement . . .
I really like battlefield too
I don't have problems w/ grappling on it any more
And I've mastered the djmc on the platforms
and wavelanding on them too
and it makes edeguarding a lot easier when you know they're rarely gonna tech/sweetspot
and with samus having as much control when your opponent is off the stage (missiles/forcing them to recover predictably) i like it ;p

also I've had success vs. my friends marth on FD
but then I played a marth who truly feels invincible as marth
and it caused me problems
I think the problem is if the marth is not scared of you (which they shouldn't be)
they really can juss chase you in the air and you can't do much about it
but if you have them scared and on the defensive then FD can really be your friend

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
you shouldn't be in the air vs marth
spacing fight on the ground

MINDGAMES

i don't know much else because i'm not used to fighting really good marths

Pi

Smash Hero
spaceballs....were you like...playing close to your top at munkaid or what?
mad fun to watch and effective
I need to practice my wavelands god ****

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Yeah, I felt like I was. Especially in my set vs Dr. Peepee (which of course wasn't recorded), I was SO ****ING CLOSE UGGGGG to winning that. Took the first game no prob, second game was last stock high %, third game I made a 2 stock comeback to lose last stock.
w/e I'll get him next time.
And chopz too (less likely).

Pi

Smash Hero
Yeah, I felt like I was. Especially in my set vs Dr. Peepee (which of course wasn't recorded), I was SO ****ING CLOSE UGGGGG to winning that. Took the first game no prob, second game was last stock high %, third game I made a 2 stock comeback to lose last stock.
w/e I'll get him next time.
And chopz too (less likely).
yea first set i saw was chops
then i watched your set w/ fullmetal and sleepyk and you was juss so smooth and everything seemed to be workin how you wanted it to lol
specially liked those waveland bairs

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
dude, spaceballs, when i first picked up samus i tried to emulate hugs. It was pretty bad because 1) i didn't have his patience and 2) my spacing wasn't infinitely perfect. I watched your sets vs sleepyk and chops, started trying out some of your platform game and BAM i did a ton better.

You're the best samus, i'm pretty sure HugS doesn't play her he only plays jab and upb.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I appreciate the compliment(s) Sveet, but HugS has (far and away) the most tournament success with Samus, and I define that as being the best. I'm compensating for the fact that I don't have his patience, spacing, and experience by trying to play as radically different/aggressive/slippery/whatever as I can. I'm pretty good at it, but I know for a fact I wouldn't have placed 2nd at that ActiveGamers thing from a month or so ago, nor would I have beaten Lucky.

HugS efficient style is and has been the best/most effective Samus playstyle at the top level of play for years, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
You're the best samus, i'm pretty sure HugS doesn't play her he only plays jab and upb.
Uhhh, this could be the best joke Ive heard all week.

IHSB is indeed a good Samus player but he'll never be as great as HugS, nor will any Samus player. Its just the way things are. The dude is so smart it doesnt make sense.

*HugS fanboy leaves

Pi

Smash Hero
Yes, hugs is the best samus.
Is that THE playstyle that samus NEEDS to place well?
I don't think so.
If you're smart enough
And fast enough
You can make anything work
If you can see or give yourself the openings to get hits in, in whatever manner, you're going to do well
Whether that's done by moving quickly and keeping your opponent guessing and wondering how a samus is this fast
Or if it's done by baiting and using tried and tested samus techniques

I don't think any 1 way to play samus is the best
There certainly have been more effective ways
Hell when I stopped playing her like fox I did a lot better
But I definitely feel like I could speed up and do better even still

In the end you need to play her how you have fun playing her.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
When I watch hugs play and then I watch spaceballs play, it looks like hugs is missing half his game: the platform/air game. He camps under platforms and uses the physical boundary really well, but from what i've seen he despises being in the air.

and my opinion has always been that the best main of a character is the person that can do the most things with their character, not necessarily who places better at tournaments. SS has a better falcon than Mango, mango is just a better player.

HugS™

Smash Lord
I have a platform game, it's just not the same platform game you're used to.

My platform game involves getting the **** off when I'm on one, and ****ing people up when they are on one.

Most match ups are fought on an Air to Ground or Ground to Air basis, rarely ever Air to Air.

And when someone is on the ground, I simply prefer taking on a Ground to Ground approach, because that's what Samus seems to be built for, in my eyes.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I knew you were going to say something along that line...

I think it would be really dangerous (for your opponent) if you started mixing in some of the platform style ihsb uses. Wavelanding off to nair if they are close, bair if you are backwards, and missile if they are out of your range. Also adding in escape options like WD off the opposite side of the platform or WD off and jump waveland on the top platform, etcetera.

just doing this once or twice could seriously throw off an opponent that was catching onto your ground based game.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
Samus is hella weak in the air. Just throwing that out there . . .

@ Sveet: When you do shit like that, you cant space. Youre kinda just throwing out a move and hoping to the lord that it connects and you dont get owned. Think about it.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
God i would never hope you would do something without thinking of the consequences.

Samus has pretty low lag when she hits the ground, so you can usually get away with at least one wiff before they catch on. She has enough priority with nair to beat someone who haphazardly tries to enter the middle of the stage, and enough range to approach someone already there. And if neither case you can use the landing to missile cancel.

Well i wanted to give my 2 cents but i feel like i ended up throwing a dollar. My samus knowledge is pretty low compared to HugS, so if he thinks its a bad idea, then i accept that i'm wrong.

HugS™

Smash Lord
I knew you were going to say something along that line...

I think it would be really dangerous (for your opponent) if you started mixing in some of the platform style ihsb uses. Wavelanding off to nair if they are close, bair if you are backwards, and missile if they are out of your range. Also adding in escape options like WD off the opposite side of the platform or WD off and jump waveland on the top platform, etcetera.

just doing this once or twice could seriously throw off an opponent that was catching onto your ground based game.
But I do exactly all of that. You need to play me or rewatch my videos. Except the wavedash off to nair thing if they're close. I wouldn't wavedash off to anything if they're close, that'd be bad spacing.

I shield drop too. And waveland, and uair cancel, and platform cancel...etc

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
But I do exactly all of that. You need to play me or rewatch my videos. Except the wavedash off to nair thing if they're close. I wouldn't wavedash off to anything if they're close, that'd be bad spacing.

You have an uncanny ability to avoid being recorded when you do this. All I ever see you do is play gay. <3

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Ah ok, my mistake then.

And yea, i've noticed your platform drops and uair cancels, they are really sick.

I'd like to play you sometime, but you live about 1k miles from here so until there is another mlg chicago, it (probably) won't happen.

edit: In your opinion if your opponent (say, a marth) did a ftilt in the middle of the stage and missed. You have wavelanded on the platform during your evasion of it and marth wouldn't be able to get a utilt out before you get there. Would you respace yourself or would you drop->nair him?

Mars-

Smash Champion
HugS is on a completely different level then IHSB. No offence to IHSB, but I don't see him getting second at a big tourny, going pretty even against mango, beating lucky, ect.

But then again this is from a guy who thinks samus should be top teir.

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
HugS is on a completely different level then IHSB. No offence to IHSB, but I don't see him getting second at a big tourny, going pretty even against mango, beating lucky, ect.

You're right. IHSP is good, but HugS is by far the best Samus. I don't think she should be top tier though... maybe high

Pi

Smash Hero
IHSB is a little better than I think you guys are giving him credit for...
DJN is also very good
Not to say HugS isn't the better samus out of the 3 right now
Both DJN and IHSB, imo, have the potential to be doing juss as well, and soon.

@HugS
Shield dropping through platforms, did you have to take some time and actually practice that or did it come pretty naturally? Cause usually when I attempt it I can't get it to go right when I need it to because I'm trying to tilt down at the right speed and it ends up dropping too late and I get hit by another attack, if I drop at all and don't juss spotdodge like a moron.

Tyserification

Smash Lord
I give IHSB a fair amount of credit actually. He's a great Samus player but the point of the discussion was HugS > all other Samus mains.

Also, is DJN really that good? I never see that guy place very high in tournaments and I still have yet to see a video of his Samus. His commentary is "okay" though. I still prefer HMW & Phil.

Mars-

Smash Champion
IHSB is a little better than I think you guys are giving him credit for...
DJN is also very good
Not to say HugS isn't the better samus out of the 3 right now
Both DJN and IHSB, imo, have the potential to be doing juss as well, and soon.

@HugS
Shield dropping through platforms, did you have to take some time and actually practice that or did it come pretty naturally? Cause usually when I attempt it I can't get it to go right when I need it to because I'm trying to tilt down at the right speed and it ends up dropping too late and I get hit by another attack, if I drop at all and don't juss spotdodge like a moron.
I never said IHSP was good or bad, just that hugs is way better.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
@kniht:

in an answer to your question to hugo,
just like everything you have to practice it a lot
and then incorporate into your game, trying to spam it as much as possible mid-friendly

like recently i've been practicing regrabbing the ledge for invincibility, as well as not jumping after getting hit (cuz i'm a big noob), so i concentrate on those things only, whether i lose or not. what matters is that you did the RIGHT thing, not so much the outcome of the match.

i am fairly certain hugo does the same, since i remember he either said it irl or posted that his method of practicing was spamming a move during matches to learn it and to learn when to use it. he even does it during tourney matches o_O

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
DJN is, in fact, really that good. And he plays people close to or at the top level of play way more often than I do, so I'm willing to bet he'd outplace me at any given tourney given the same bracket and him playing Samus the whole time (which is never a guarantee with bowzer/mario/random *** character loving ***).

And I like ihavespaceprostate more than the usual alternative for IHSP.

Pi

Smash Hero
Yea...
I started saving my jump not to long ago
and also wiggling out of the tumble animation as opposed to bombing recently as well
I need to spam UB now
and I guess shield dropping lol

Mars-

Smash Champion
Yea...
I started saving my jump not to long ago
and also wiggling out of the tumble animation as opposed to bombing recently as well
I need to spam UB now
and I guess shield dropping lol
I started saving my jump when I found out how easy it is to block the FoD recovery without it. The other benefits are worth it too.:laugh:

Does wiggling out of tumble have a purpose? You are going to bomb jump anyways. Well I guess maybe if you just want to grapple it works.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Yea, my point was really badly stated. I meant, basically, that HugS was the best samus player and ihsb has my favorite style.

IHaveSpaceBalls, would you check out this vid of my samus? I get off to a slow start, so don't judge before the last game lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sj90DaLP5k

Tyserification

Smash Lord
I really hope your friend isnt a Ganon main because he sucks at sweetspotting with Ganondorf.

I would advise you to spot dodge less obviously also. Everytime he stared into your soul and didnt even do anything you would spot dodge out of fear. Its a bad habit you should try to get rid of. Not to mention spot dodging against Ganon isnt that safe in general.

Work on some patience also. Going willy nilly isnt that good if you dont have good spacing.

Just my input.

Top Bottom