• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Litt

Samus
Guys, I went to shine this past weekend and it was amazing! I feel like I got significantly better each day I went! (Fri, sun) there were so many people there to play friendlies with and it seemed like there were dozens mains for each character. It was really great for getting practice with unfamiliar match ups.

I was having fun learning how to play samus and about melee fundamentals before shine but now I'm hooked. I want to learn all I can about this character and how to destroy other people with samus! (mostly sheiks and falcos...) but that's hard because I don't know any other samus mains and trying to dig through these boards gives me a huge headache. I talked with a lot of people over the weekend and got some great advice but I can't help but feel like our board is inferior to the boards for most other characters.

Compared to the other character pages this one is like a dark hole that people just throw information into. Like yeah we have this discussion page but it's over 150 pages long and i dont know maybe 60% of the posts are not meaningful at all. I tried sorting through it awhile ago to find useful stuff but quickly grew frustrated.

another thing that bugs me is that other characters have been so optimized. everything you need to know about the character like how they play neutral, how they combo, all their advanced tech, and all the miscellaneous crap about the character is all in one place in a couple different sticky posts on the character's board. But on this board it's a free for all. You can try searching for what you need but you may or may not find what you're looking for and then after that your only option is to sift through this black hole of a discussion board. Just look at this ganon page for instance

https://smashboards.com/threads/the-golden-nuggets-of-the-ganondorf-boards.437565/

There are like 2 top level ganon players and they have a much better character board than samus. unacceptable!

Don't you guys want to be the best? Don't samus mains always say they think samus is snubbed on the tier list? How can we get better if people can't even easily find out what moves string together on characters at certain percents!

I realize that there's more than enough examples of great samus' playing a plethora of characters on YouTube and in our video thread and I could just study those but, for players like me who sometimes need things spelled out to them inorder to understand them, I think we need to really vamp this place up.

Im still a noob melee player and a noob to this board but I hope at least some of you feel the same way. It's really up to you guys what we do from here but personally I think the first step is organization of what information we have already. Then we move to new organized discussion of various topics but mostly samus' neutral and character match ups. After we have that baseline we can do anything and talk about anything. The key is just keeping everything nice and organized so that even my mom could come here and read that you don't have to cc falcos laser, just wait until that ****** gets too close and f tilt him.

Anyways, regardless of what people think of this post or if anyone even replies at all, I'm going to be doing all I can to become a better samus. I'm just hoping that the small amount of samus mains here could band together and push our character to her limits so that we can punch a blaster-sized hole through any no good, rotten sheik main that gets in our way!

So let me know your thoughts, random internet people. I will help anyway I can but I think it's really up to the better samus' here to lead us to optimization.
Love the energy and enthusiasm!

Hate the following line from you, "That's hard because I don't know any other samus mains and trying to dig through these boards gives me a huge headache."

Samus mains are far and few, to get to know one you have to be either really lucky or network online/in person. Hugs and Duck frequently post on the facebook samus r&d group, and plenty of other samus mains that want to discuss relevant/new tech. I strongly suggest you join the group and give it a read though, (though is it not all nice and organized as you would like)

You going through the boards gives you a headache....?

Bruh going through these boards is a right of passage to find all the myriad of options samus has that no one else knows she has. Can i get you an advil for the headache? or perhaps an adderall to motivate you? (kidding on the adderall, drugs are bad)

You spout off how much you are enthused to play this character and take on the hard MUs like sheik, but don't even have the drive to go through the boards to gather information.... because it gives you a headache? Sounds like you like the character but want everything on a silver platter for you.

Going though the samus board to gather every useful piece of information would be a large undertaking (to say the least), and then asking someone to digest it into an organized manner is an even bigger task. There are guides out there, and there are plenty of advice on match ups for how to play the character to be able to play the character at a competitive level. Should you want to go the extra mile and sort the all the extra information to find the gold nuggets, it will show in your own game exceptionally based on the knowledge you found. How you find and understand the information produces your style of play/end result of a match. Asking other players to make a flow chart for you to follow is not only lazy but counterintuitive to melee itself. You need to create your own style and figure how to adapt to others. If you become a flow chart player you can get read just as easily as you learned your style.

TLDR: I love the idea, and when I get bored/motivated enough I would to do a project like this, since I have the mod power to reorganize the samus board/stickied threads. However, the discussion for samus is spread between a discord server, facebook group and smashboards. Simply putting time into smashboards to organize the information is not the best use of time/resources since good players can simply be asked questions in the discord/fb groups.

Smash Journeyman
I do agree that it's annoying how disorganized all the information is. No one's really put in the time and effort to organize everything, and I'm not sure who will. Litt's kneejerk response to say "you should spend a ton of time wading through the boards like the rest of us did" isn't the best, but he has a point: it'll be a ton of work to organize all the information out there, and no one really seems to have time to do it. Instead, we force new players to re-ask the same questions over and over, or spend hours looking for it.

I'm definitely willing to contribute to a compilation of Samus stuff (here's an attempt from the FB group: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-FQr3xb-oNmsafxpUDj39yRh3OUFD28zYdd6_tzjvUk/edit), but I don't really want to be the primary person in charge of maintaining / updating it. Someone needs to take initiative :)

Kuikdraw

Smash Rookie
I actually had no idea there was a Facebook group, maybe another thing that should be easy to find here on the samus page?

But you're right, Litt. It is lazy of me to just expect everything to already be written out and given to me. I attempted to look through all the pages in the discussion board but I found it easier to just do a search for the topic that I needed help on once it came up. (Btw, you and mervis need to hug it out) the problem with that is I'm out of luck if I'm completely unaware of something and don't even know I have to search for it. I just think that the faster people can learn all the knowledge then the faster we can all push the samus meta together.

That being said I didn't write my other reply thinking I would say all that **** and have you guys do all the work. I would be happy to take a large portion of the discussion pages on smashboards and other sites and pick out the good stuff if it meant others would help with smaller portions! We all know it would be good for me.

I'm good at organizing things but you guys are leagues ahead of me as samus players. I need help figuring out what is even worth organizing. But if you guys would rather have a bunch of dummies like me come here and go on Facebook and discord and ask dumb questions that you've already answered like 20 times then that's fine too!

343, I just requested permission to see that Google file but until whoever the owner is grants me access I can't see it. If it's anything like what I suggested above I will be both incredible happy and also a little embarrassed.

Litt

Samus
I actually had no idea there was a Facebook group, maybe another thing that should be easy to find here on the samus page?

But you're right, Litt. It is lazy of me to just expect everything to already be written out and given to me. I attempted to look through all the pages in the discussion board but I found it easier to just do a search for the topic that I needed help on once it came up. (Btw, you and mervis need to hug it out) the problem with that is I'm out of luck if I'm completely unaware of something and don't even know I have to search for it. I just think that the faster people can learn all the knowledge then the faster we can all push the samus meta together.

That being said I didn't write my other reply thinking I would say all that **** and have you guys do all the work. I would be happy to take a large portion of the discussion pages on smashboards and other sites and pick out the good stuff if it meant others would help with smaller portions! We all know it would be good for me.

I'm good at organizing things but you guys are leagues ahead of me as samus players. I need help figuring out what is even worth organizing. But if you guys would rather have a bunch of dummies like me come here and go on Facebook and discord and ask dumb questions that you've already answered like 20 times then that's fine too!

343, I just requested permission to see that Google file but until whoever the owner is grants me access I can't see it. If it's anything like what I suggested above I will be both incredible happy and also a little embarrassed.
Mervis kinda gave up messing with me when I got promoted to senator ;p but we are cool now. Technically it is even against smashboards rules to have discord servers advertised because it removes from the discussion occurring on smashboards itself. Same goes for facebook groups, however no one has really noticed I stickied the samus discord so shushh ;)

Part of the you being out of luck if you are not aware of something, that is just part of the process of learning the character. The more you have played her and the more you have researched, the more likely you are to know obscure/useful tech. It looks like you joined smashboards earlier this year, and now are just making this post about wanting more information. You are still new, so be patient. Over time even without research your understanding of the game and samus will expand, when there are questions you have you can research and find answers, when you are lost you can watch videos of top samuses to find out what you are unaware of or just to find something new to work on.

As for the organization of the boards, I agree one document would be very helpful however there is a reason everyone says playing against samus is like you are playing brawl. There are few set combos with samus, more understanding the neutral game of the opponents and choosing the right options out of the huge bag samus has up her sleeve. If you want a decent starting guide for samus, go to PM samus boards to the guide The Little Things where i laid out her very basic layout and some nuances of play. Anything past that really is getting into obscure tech or specific MU knowledge that is better off being searched for when it becomes a relevant thing to practice/work into your game.

Last edited:

abcool

Smash Ace
Alright guys long time no speak, but I need advice. This Marth player is still giving me trouble, but I feel as though it is more a mental block than anything. I just need to know how to deal with spaced fairs and what I should be doing in terms of dI'ing fairs because I feel as though I am doing it wrong. A general overview will help as well. Thanks.
https://youtu.be/3YEtjTTPWq0

Litt

Samus
Alright guys long time no speak, but I need advice. This Marth player is still giving me trouble, but I feel as though it is more a mental block than anything. I just need to know how to deal with spaced fairs and what I should be doing in terms of dI'ing fairs because I feel as though I am doing it wrong. A general overview will help as well. Thanks.
https://youtu.be/3YEtjTTPWq0
Already told you, spaced fairs are not your issue :(

Thor

Smash Champion
Random question:

People were fighting somewhere on these boards previously about shield-grabbing Fox usmash. I'm not saying I'm the fastest with shieldgrabs, but it seems like sometimes Fox slides farther away from Samus than usual [maybe I just shield DI in unintentionally a lot?] and then when I try to shield grab it gets spotdodged.

Is this due to Samus grab being slow or just me being bad? I know I've had Link's grab [I also use Link] just be out of range, but whenever it's in range I can get it if I'm fast as far as I know [starting frame 11 instead of frame 18 makes shieldgrabbing it relatively simple].

Unrelated: I recently used mostly Samus in a doubles event where it was streamed and got 2nd teamed with a solid Fox. Just a weekly but it was nice to play the character for several games in a row and get a decent bit of play on stream, although I'm pretty sure my play as Samus was mostly cringey [went Link to get the bracket reset from lsoers but lost post reset lol].

Kataquax

Smash Cadet
Zair-diving
(similar to rising zair but downwards, maybe it is called differently idk)

Is the downwards movemtent actually faster than just fastfalling?

Top Bottom