• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

Pi

Smash Hero
hmmm properly spaced i don't see much risk in it
are you referring to doing it too close and being shield grabbed? or it's startup lag?

Pi

Smash Hero
hmmm...shouldn't bee too much of an issue
most shield pressure (or samus' shield pressure at least) involves the opponent actively trying to shield the next attack, and then reacting after it

so quick hits aren't really the issue, it's more of how effectively are we able to react to their OoS response to our 'shield pressure'

in which case utilt would, on paper, be a better option vs. shield

we'll see, eager to test it out, in my head i can see it being very effective

Pluplue

Smash Ace
I didn't know any of the frame data about it but I always thought up tilt was really on shield. Glad to see I wasn't just being lucky with my utilts :o.

HugS™

Smash Lord
You know who loves to uair spam vs floaties? Hax. You know who's lost to Darrell(though with Johns), and Hugo? Hax. You know who ****s all over Hugo? Johnny.

Trust me. Uair isn't as good as you think it is, especially with good DI. Wes was caught off guard and ****ed up his DI multiple times. It's really not as amazing as you're making it out to be.
Name search baby...
LOL edited cuz I sounded mad even though I'm not.

Johnny doesn't **** on me. We play only in drunk friendlies, and our tournaments sets are close/even. I'm not sure where you found that statistic lol.

Geist

Smash Master
I think it should be % dependant lol
If you're DIing uair up at low %s you're gonna get *****
some goes for down and away at higher percents
Doesn't really matter from like 80 upwards

Pi

Smash Hero
the first one i'm pretty sure if he DI'd into him and did a falling Uair it would have hit
the 2nd two you had to use your DJ to get away, which ALWAYS happens, and is not a good thing
but i'm glad to see these falcon's don't know their combo's on samus and whiff followups instead of baiting 2nd jumps

advice please:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hwlkGMZa70

ThePrime

Smash Lord
the first one i'm pretty sure if he DI'd into him and did a falling Uair it would have hit
the 2nd two you had to use your DJ to get away, which ALWAYS happens, and is not a good thing
but i'm glad to see these falcon's don't know their combo's on samus and whiff followups instead of baiting 2nd jumps

advice please:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hwlkGMZa70
First thing I noticed is that I'm actually not a big fan of missiles vs falcon. Can you bait an opening with a missile? sure. But I just hate giving falcon that center stage for him to run around, keeping distance via projectiles against falcon hinders samus imo especially how you went near the ledge and started firing away. Game 2 and 3 you didn't missile as much and you kept close to him (but just outside his threat you know) which seemed like it was working better, and in my experience this kind of play works better vs falcon.

Me and you both have a bad step dodge habit XD lol im sure you already know

I hate doing those dairs as you land, you were able to hit with them which you cant really complain about lol but in general i usually just get uair'd before/after and then u feel like an idiot lol. I think we've all been there.

Good stuff tho man. The moonwalk at the end was stylin :p

Pi

Smash Hero
2nd and 3rd match he was playing stupid cause i had the lead, iirc
i've always been a fan of the 'stay close to falcon' style, but i like to have the lead before i try that
i was hoping to force him into some predictable habits w/ the missiles, but ended up just eating too many hits
my plan for the 1st match was to play very conservatively, hide under platforms to restrict some of his approaches, maybe land a missile or two
it was usually when i deviated from this plan when i got hit too

i can't even watch it it's so frustrating
he handed me those 2nd and 3rd matches, 1st match is the one i want to focus on

i find it incredibly hard to beat this particular player when he has the lead, falcon is the gayest ****ing character vs. samus when he wants to be.

i have some things i desperately need to test vs. falcon, one of them is getting comfortable w/ not giving him room to dance around
it's just a huge ****ing deterrent when i'm poking and prodding w/ like ftilt and UB and ****
and he get's combo's into knee's, or puts me in the air or something,
so i end up just reverting back to my comfortable playstyle, whether it's better or not, it's just easier to play with and there's less thought involved becuse it's more of 'intercept him with nair!', or the dairs you saw, both easily punished, but high reward thoughtless techniques to throw out.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
i always thought it was down and away?
Samus is floaty and will go higher from uairs. Down and away keeps you at single jump height for knees or reverse bair mindgames to bull**** knees. I always thought u DI up and away to distance yourself from falcon and go high outside of his knee range.

dthrow is for most characters down and away. I dont know for sure about samus tho.

Pi

Smash Hero
apprently throw DI isn't impacted horizontally/vertically the same way hitlag DI is
so it shouldn't vary from char to char what you DI the throw with
combo DI is a bit diff though

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
I was playing NTSC the other day (since someone had brought an NTSC copy and we thought "why not") and the first thing on my mind was "yessss I get to play with the extender".

Unfortunately, I couldn't remember the specifics on how to activate it. I knew it had something to do with the D-pad so I kept trying and trying and trying, but nothing happened. So I just proceeded to play friendlies without it. Against a Sheik player.

:(

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
i've always been a fan of the 'stay close to falcon' style, but i like to have the lead before i try that
i was hoping to force him into some predictable habits w/ the missiles, but ended up just eating too many hits
my plan for the 1st match was to play very conservatively, hide under platforms to restrict some of his approaches, maybe land a missile or two
it was usually when i deviated from this plan when i got hit too

i find it incredibly hard to beat this particular player when he has the lead, falcon is the gayest ****ing character vs. samus when he wants to be.
From what I've seen in the HugS vs various Falcon matches I've watched, HugS tends to try to stay close and limit Falcon's space and punish w/ "aggressive shielding" (a term I'm coining right now). I feel like Falcon can aerial thru missiles easily if he focuses on it and once he has room to dash around, he has momentum, something u don't want a Falcon to have. A Falcon in shield seems to be so limited compared to what he's capable of.

Samus is floaty and will go higher from uairs. Down and away keeps you at single jump height for knees or reverse bair mindgames to bull**** knees. I always thought u DI up and away to distance yourself from falcon and go high outside of his knee range.

dthrow is for most characters down and away. I dont know for sure about samus tho.
Well, to be honest, you're not really safe w/ any choice if the Falcon reads u properly (I think). If you DI up and away, Falcon can just DJ knee.

Well I might as well spark up a new topic I suppose. The extended grapple. Pros and cons. Go!

:phone:
Here's my input.
Pros: Interesting tech chase, can surprise opponents by pulling them off platforms
Cons: Hard to catch ppl w/ more than once, kinda hard to input imo

Geist

Smash Master
The only con about extender is that people tend to use it a lot just because they have it activated and then get punished for it. All in all, it's completely superior to the regular grapple.

Also bubbaking, I don't think one can exactly coin a phrase like 'aggressive shielding' lmao
that's just rather silly

Corigames

Smash Hero
BTW you can do the Extender inputs in the air as well. Just do it from an aerial tether or when you're respawning.
^This
You can't use it if you tried to grapple before dieing, but there's plenty of time to FF to the ground or top platform and then do the inputs.

If my pool games from last week ever get uploaded, I can show my extender usage.

Corigames

Smash Hero
A) Not ROM 4, it was an AZ tourny.
B) I did use it out of pools, but none of those matches were recorded.
C) I lost 2/3 of my bracket sets, I don't think the extender, or lack of it, was the cause.
D) My successes and failures are not descriptive of the Samus community at large, I just thought I would show some of my work with it.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Oh yeah, more cons: you can mistime/miss the actual grabbing action and you have to remember to shieldgrab and not use Z to grab so that you get the homing grapple.
Possible pros: You get to time the grab yourself. Does the extender give you a longer zair, cuz if so it would also greatly improve Samus's recovery and probably give her the best one in the game due to its versatility.

Geist

Smash Master
Extender has more frames that are able to grab too. It's really hard to mess up the manual grab timing since it's not specific and you can mash A and Z as fast as you can and it'll still grab

Pi

Smash Hero
Top Bottom