• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

Chip.

you know what to do
really really depends on the fox imo

First things first you should always check to see if things like dash away grab on undershot aerials is working and if it is its probably a free win but after that you basically have to see what the fox likes to do.

I feel like there are 3 types of fox players. Super aggro, super campy, and platform heavy.

Against super aggro you need to do things like grab early when they try to overshoot shine approaches or spam stationary/retreating double fairs to snag him coming in

Super campy is the easiest because when you know they won't approach you just go over there and start overshooting grabs/fsmashes/dtilts/dash attacks and they get obliterated. If they camp really hard and then as soon as you make a move to come in they just nair your face or grab you before you can overshoot I like to bait that with a dash forward into a quick WD in place. WD in place is amazing for quickly establishing the precise spacing that you want for pressure or outspacing their options and is essential for Marth's pressure game.

Platform heavy you just have to know when to chase and when to stay grounded. Basically try to read their movement patterns on the platforms and when you're confident they will be in a certain spot at a certain time, swing at it. You have to be very careful about going for full hop aerials at very low percent tho, because that won't combo and can get you in trouble. Camping hard under side platforms is a good way to stop platform heavy stuff all together, tho it often just leads to stalemate.

Obviously better fox players will implement all of these styles at various points to keep you off balance but this is how you deal with each of them. When you're playing someone who mixes it up, you have to recognize...when they like to do what. Fox is a very versatile character and a great punisher but he has ****ty range and no stunning projectile which is pretty much exactly the kind of matchup Marth thrives on.
umm IM PRETTY SURE HE ASKED ME dude

lol jk

but I second all of this completely! :)

Niko45

Smash Master
fox is hard

outside of the super cheese uthrow uair (when its working) or shine spikes, he basically requires marth level precision to make sure people don't break out of his combos while maintaining crazy execution

prob the most rewarding char/most depth

and sorry chip I just randomly felt like talking about fox

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i would have been fine if it had been something like "I feel like a fox with perfect spacing and tech skill is near unbeatable"

but shield pressure..meh fox's shield pressure is garbage..he doesn't even get as large of a combo string on me as falco when he does get in...

I mean characters who combo for less than 50..how can they be scary?

Chip.

you know what to do
i would have been fine if it had been something like "I feel like a fox with perfect spacing and tech skill is near unbeatable"

but shield pressure..meh fox's shield pressure is garbage..he doesn't even get as large of a combo string on me as falco when he does get in...

I mean characters who combo for less than 50..how can they be scary?
A Fox with perfect shield pressure allows you to do almost nothing. You can roll. If he had perfect pressuring (like TAS perfect) then it limits your options IMMENSELY. He controls your defensive game too much and therefore controls you too much.

What's scary is that some Fox players are getting closer to that level. I.e. Lovage, SW, Javi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omi9MyweC_I

Great example.

Niko45

Smash Master
The problem with Fox shield pressure is that random shines lead to nothing where with Falco random shines can still be followed up on. Shine grabs are more rewarding but you can just roll out of those. Dair shield stabbing into combos is beast but also situational. I don't think Fox's shield pressure is that great.

Also since he doesn't have a stunning projectile and is relying on pure movement speed to create openings he's not particularly great at even establishing shield pressure in the first place.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
if you're going to talk about TAS theoretical nonsense, then i have a simple solution

marth shield DI's entirely out of shine range after the nair and grabs the fox because human reaction time is too slow to react to shield DIing out of moves and therefore gets shield grabbed.

why does everyone keep talking about this theoretical world where fox is the perfect character

honestly fox is a great character, bu tit's not because of his shield pressure or even because of his combos ( i smash DI out of so many of them i would say he gets less than 1/3 of falco gets)..

what makes fox good is simply movement and his amazing nair.

i have had games where i couldn't move from shield against a fox but it was never because the shield pressure was too strong, it was because I was being stupid and predictable with the timing of when i rolled and when i wavedashed out and also because i was letting the fox get greedy and do aerials with no shine to cover it because i was wavedashing out early. to avoid shield pressure just make sure that they are too scared to do rising aerial out of shine or falling aerial out of shine...after that, you will still get punished some, but as long as you aren't predictable on when you move out of shield they aren't going to get you very often with the stupid nair shine nonsense.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Fox's drill shine on the back of a shield is actually one of the best shield pressures in the game. On the front of the shield there is a 1 frame gap where you can get grabbed even if you execute properly. But on the back of the shield, they can't jump out at all while you're doing it, and most characters don't have a fast enough move there. A lot of players will WD after an early aerial or after a shine, but thats not really possible against drill shine pressure.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Fox's drill shine on the back of a shield is actually one of the best shield pressures in the game. On the front of the shield there is a 1 frame gap where you can get grabbed even if you execute properly. But on the back of the shield, they can't jump out at all while you're doing it, and most characters don't have a fast enough move there. A lot of players will WD after an early aerial or after a shine, but thats not really possible against drill shine pressure.
Just jump between the dair and the shine.

Dart!

Smash Master
A Fox with perfect shield pressure allows you to do almost nothing. You can roll. If he had perfect pressuring (like TAS perfect) then it limits your options IMMENSELY. He controls your defensive game too much and therefore controls you too much.

What's scary is that some Fox players are getting closer to that level. I.e. Lovage, SW, Javi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omi9MyweC_I

Great example.
Actually this is a bad example

not to disrespect taj but he isn't great vs fox. Marth has spacing tools to defeat fox. This matchup isn't in fox's favor because of Marth...not fox.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
well main thing i dislike is him missing his reverse gimp on the first stock...why did it have to be an angled up b

QWA

Smash Apprentice
n00b alert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDW3Hmfaqyo

I came here a while back asking for help, and it made me considerably better. I'm still a scrub mind you, just a better scrub. I'm working on the more advanced techniques, and my slow fingers have not helped in this task (they are a bit faster now). I can almost wavedash (it's hit or miss, but improving), and I can kinda tech. It's SHFFLing and L-canceling that are making me the most frustrated. I know it's going to take a lot of practice before I can utilize all of these techniques, so nudges in the right direction help me understand what I need to practice the most.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
There were several times where I cringed because you went near link without attacking, like really close. Make ire you know the distance between you and you opponent well

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
n00b alert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDW3Hmfaqyo

I came here a while back asking for help, and it made me considerably better. I'm still a scrub mind you, just a better scrub. I'm working on the more advanced techniques, and my slow fingers have not helped in this task (they are a bit faster now). I can almost wavedash (it's hit or miss, but improving), and I can kinda tech. It's SHFFLing and L-canceling that are making me the most frustrated. I know it's going to take a lot of practice before I can utilize all of these techniques, so nudges in the right direction help me understand what I need to practice the most.
I think I remember the last time you posted. I'm sure this was stressed last time, but you really need to do whatever you can to play with some actual players. I've been there, I went from 2007 to late 2011 having consistency w/ wavedashing, L canceling, and a few more of the basic staples down. But, I only had one person I know of in my area that played, and that held both of us back from getting invilved competetively.

Its really hard to judge your gameplay off of cpus, but theres definitely a lot of technical improvement you can make.

A lot of this will be a bit over your head for now, but thecrimsonblur put together a really good list of stuff you can practice on your, for marth players. Found here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10954335&postcount=19

Try to focus on your spacing and hitting with the tip as much as possible, especially against cpus. Fast falling is also something that really speeds up your play, try to fast fall whenever appropriate. Marths hitboxes stay out for so short a time, that you generally want to get grounded asap. Also, Marths grab game is boss, learn how it works and how you can use it.

I just woke up so thats all I have for now.

:phone:

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Fastfall more, grab more, when you get link trapped on a platform like that spam utilt/uair and make him wish he never went to a platform. Try and get your edgeguarding a bit more crisp, fsmashing works alright on cpus, but there are so many better things for Marth to do.

And work on that techy stuff :p

EDIT: Try to roll less too. You're probably using it more as a positioning tool than as a roll, so as you WD more you'll notice your usage of rolling go down, which is a good thing

Dart!

Smash Master
yeah you don't want to get inside link and do nothing he can tear you up if you aren't offensively aggressive vs him.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
hmmm...you have a pretty good Marth. Reminds me a bit of darts at times when you just go in and try whatever you want aggressive and all. I like your movement and the way you make use of the side-B.

If I was you I would try working on change ups and not repeating tactics as often. You got away with it with people who weren't as good but against better and better opposition it kills you more and more. Another thing is you have a beautiful way of giving up your second jump. Either you get hit out of the air or you willingly jump and then Side-b stall and either waveland or go for a FF-Dair. You did it in almost all of your matches and against better players like Green Ranger game 3 for example you got punished very hard for giving up your jump. Last thing I'd say is you should learn to rest on your lead alot more. When you are an up an coming player it's easy to get into a mode where you just want to put on a show and do some fancy stuff but it's better to get the wins under your belt first before you start looking cool. Times when you had a clear lead you would approach without reason or sometimes seemingly without thought. Nairing against shields and then getting grabbed for it. It could be the fact that you also play a Falco alt. I've had this problem as myself but sometimes you get so use to what Falco can do against a shield that you forget Marth isn't a pressure character Without extremely good spacing of retreating aerials.

All in all a pretty good marth.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
As. A Roy main I approve of your use of the dancing blade. As
A Marth alt I wonder why you dash attack so much.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Dash attack, Dancing blades, and counters are all good things in moderation. Mixing them in with Marth has it's uses from time to time. However, abusing them can be fatal though.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Be warned I'm a Roy main so that might slip into my Marth playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESko5grHKwM thanks, the sheik is RUN, a ness main
Whoa did this place die as soon as summer hit....well in anycase I'll get to it.

You do sometimes have a Roy habit but imo the better Roy habits didn't show up as much.

There was a moment when you used the Side-B against the sheik at around 2:12 seconds in. It's a hidden gem if you can find the right time to use it. Something I didn't see you use enough especially on that stage when the platforms get real low are the Throw-utilt/fsmash set ups. Backthrow actually becomes useful especially against characters in the sheik weight. It should land her on a platform and set her up for a well deserved spanking at the hands of Marth. You Fsmashed at her too often which would get you seriously hurt against better sheiks. Try to use the cancel dtilts and go for more guaranteed attacks. Fsmash repeatedly will only get you so far.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I didn't mean to use so much fsmash, but he has a habit of con up short so I wanted to punish that.
Also, Marths back throw is useful?
And I rarely use the dtilt because I'm always so disappointed when it doesn't perform like roys.

MT_

Smash Ace
Bthrow is a useful mixup a middish-high percents (character dependent) to get people on platforms. Also, if spacies DI in on bthrow at super high percents (around 130+) it will combo into fsmash/ftilt, so it's a decent mixup.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Bthrow is a useful mixup a middish-high percents (character dependent) to get people on platforms. Also, if spacies DI in on bthrow at super high percents (around 130+) it will combo into fsmash/ftilt, so it's a decent mixup.
^ That. Also some really light characters land on platforms at really low %'s and on small ceiling stages if you catch them off guard you may even get a kill out of it.

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
1:22. . . uthrow->usmash->usmash. . . nuff said. . . wtf

but sursly. . . I only watched first link. . . and I noticed a lot of semi-mediocre move choice (coughfsmashhackcough
srsly though? I thought we talked about that when I was over there. . .
) and other poor decision-making that either left you in some form of a positional disadvantage or left him alive when he shouldntve been.
And I can point out specific examples of this, but I would just rewatch and see every single spot where you made an overcommitment to hit him while he was less than 20-25%, and that would cover like 85% of the instances im talking about. I feel that %s (especially that of your opponents) make a decent effect on how you should approaching/defending vs specific opponents. . .

aaand. . . im obv dont main this char, so I cant really speak with 100% certainty on this, but you used dashattack a heck of a lot and it didnt seem like the best thing to do like 50% of the time. . .
is it like the go-to for marth vs laser spammy falcos, im guessing?
cause I like walkover->ftilt, myself, at like 40%+

Hi, btw (and yes, I did lurk you =D)

Edit: and obviously Im not saying youre a bad marth, by any means. . .
just when you have two players that are pretty high up there in skill level, I feel like you have to be a little more nitpicky than usual

Top Bottom