• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

Beat!

Smash Master
Late uair-> instant utilt? Idk.

Sometimes I like to jump up there and grab them because they're shielding for too long (ever since I saw Mango do that I've been trying to implement it into my game). =P

ZoSo

Smash Champion
what do you guys like to do at low %s when you uthrow someone onto a platform and they just CC (and/or tech) your utilts and get away?
You could probably waveland onto the platform and tech chase w/ grab. I doubt you'd have time if they tech in place though. You could also just abuse their DI and tipper them, but it's probably not worth it at super low percents. Honestly if you grab them at like 0, I would dthrow and try to tech chase w/ grabs for some easy percent.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Maybe if you u-throw them on to a platform you can short hop, and if they tech in place you can uair or nair but if they tech roll you can double jump and wave land for the tech chase.

:phone:

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Late uair-> instant utilt? Idk.

Sometimes I like to jump up there and grab them because they're shielding for too long
Yah this. It's beautiful how quick you can waveland grab and make them think you're still going to attack lol.

Late uair to see what they do is pretty **** imo (because it's all I ever do, lol).

Palpi

Smash Hero
There isn't much else we can say until you do those things you already said.

Jump cancel all your grabs.

Sometimes when you near the ledge you opted to uthrow when your grabbed. Do the thing that will get your opponent (especially falcon) offstage. Marth gimps.

Only roll when are in shield. And minimize at that lol.
:phone:

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Someone help fix my Marth

Vs Captain Falcon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC5FTwGNLFw
Vs Falco http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWo_1_NDteU
Vs Marth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uru2BCRV394

Anything aside from "Less F-Smash", "better tech skill", "make less mistakes" would be appreciated. I'm already working on those.

Thanks
Hmm...Let's see what I can give, now mind you I'm not the best Marth ever so someone come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

Marth has a superb aerial game, and I don't think you utilized it at all. Almost all your approaches were either dash attack or grab. Mix it up with a falling fair, rising nair, or even a tomahawk (empty short hop to grab). Mind your spacing at all times. Fsmashes are fine if they stay unpredictable and the spacing is good enough so you can't get punished. The problem with doing too many is they become predictable and baitable and that is not good.

Ken Combo: Learn it, Use it, Love it. It *****.

I know you don't want a 'better tech skill' comment, but learn the L-cancel timing as soon as possible. It'll speed your game up and a fast Marth is a scary Marth.

Don't be afraid to edgehog. I don't recall seeing you grab the ledge with your opponent off the stage. You may have and I just don't remember. Learn what Marth can do offensively and defensively on the ledge and use it. As has been said, Marth gimps hard and you need to get your opponent to the ledge first. Being on or near said ledge will help that, but keep in mind you need to control the middle of the stage too. Sound confusing I know, but you don't always have to be in the middle to control it.

Dash Dance. Easiest thing to do as a new player is - when in doubt, dashdance. - Now I know this may not be the way you'll always play, but dash dancing will improve your patience, your movement, and your ability to read and react to your opponent.

Beat!

Smash Master
For the Falco clip (didn't watch tge others):Almost every time he launched you into the air, you panicked and immediately double jumped. If he reads you from there and sends you off stage, you're in a pretty ****ty position. If there's a less risky way of getting out of pressure, use it (this depends on the situation, but those instant double jumps could've ****ed you up a lot more than they did in that game.

Dart!

Smash Master
J$ should play roy....but don't worry you get a shoutout for having the same first letter in your name (if your name starts with J) as me at genesis. i will wear your tag on the stream once or twice. anyone else not going that wants some rep?

stelzig

Smash Lord
So.. Critique? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffvPfjQW-p4
Yeah, spotdodging and lasers still **** me up :(
I only use marth in the first game, used peach second match because someone wanted to see me use peach in singles (because of something I did with her in teams earlier, I haven't really used her much) and I was pretty confident after first match ;_;

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You looked super nervous in WF drew. I really liked how you were controlling the air, but you were a little slow to pick up on his habits on the ground (he would always either getup attack or roll away on a missed tech, exception being if there wasn't space for the roll back then he would stand up). I liked your willingness to fsmash (and accuracy :D) but wasn't on board with the choice some of the time (especially low percents). I find grabbing falco to be really powerful at any percent (when he gets too high to uthrow, start dthrowing/fthrowing to the edge). Idk I think that set was urs but ur nerves got to you. That falco was really good tho...

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Super small nitpick, when you forward B combo and they shield it, AND you use all four, never use the netural one. The upwards one has a chance to shieldpoke the top of the shield, and the bottom one is good if they try to shield grab/escape.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
yeah i know about the forward b thing but i always forget when im actually doing

yeah sveet, i was a little nervous but mostly im just not as smooth as i used to be

at the end of the second match i tried to jump over his forward b and fastfall dair him but i accidentally double jumped, that was sad, and then i tried to jump out of his uthrow stuff every time and ended up without jumps, that was also sad

i have a terrible habit of getting hit by almost every getup attack everybody does, dont tell anybody. i generally only punish it vertically, and with marth thats rough

i felt silly letting him double jump up there every time i came back invincible on the fd matches, but i always failed to punish, what are your thoughts there? is it good for me to chase him up and try to catch with an uair, or just wait down below?

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
alright, i got a tourney tomorrow and will consider this if i end up playing marth, i never know ahead of time

thanks bros

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Idk bigd, game 1 first stock or two you looked SMOOOOOOOTHH. Then nerves kicked in.

In terms of covering the jump... It seemed like he was baiting you up. In general marth is really good on the ground and really mediocre in the air, so staying on the ground is what most people would suggest. I think you're style is slightly more "midwest" and you just need to understand how he was avoiding you in the air. I wasn't paying attention too closely but he was double jumping while moving away from you then using dair to trade/win. To beat this maybe you could have tried compensating for his backwards movement and hitting him with a fair instead. Or, since he double jumped, just fsmash him as he came down lol. He had really good DI on the fsmashes though.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
yeah i think that suicide kinda killed my momentum

i know at least a couple times i just didnt uair high enough, but i probably couldnt have uaired high enough while still doing it fast enough, im thinking of a quick double jump then fastfall down to see if i can get him to overcommit to something

i will think about doing moves besides fsmash at low%'s, theres really no reason to unless its a tipper at the edge, good call

i think my marth style is a combination of "midwest" and not really being a marth player, but sometimes when i use him i feel like im on the cusp of some epiphany and becoming more like a real marth player and not just someone who floats around in the air managing to connect aerials and fsmashes

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
So.. Critique? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffvPfjQW-p4
Yeah, spotdodging and lasers still **** me up :(
I only use marth in the first game, used peach second match because someone wanted to see me use peach in singles (because of something I did with her in teams earlier, I haven't really used her much) and I was pretty confident after first match ;_;
You need to be more aggressive vs Falco. Approach with Dtilt>GTFO

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i went marth vs zein again and won game one, lost game 2, then tried sheik on brinstar and lost

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i went marth vs zein again and won game one, lost game 2, then tried sheik on brinstar and lost
I dont think switching characters is really a solid choice. I've made that mistake a few times, too, and at this point i think its better to stay the same character. You are already figuring out your opponent with your first character, switching they still have the character theyve learned you with but you have to start over somewhat.

Top Bottom