• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Yo mers I gotta teach you how to Marth haha

You looked absolutely bewildered in those matches. No idea what to do.

I feel like I'll **** anyone who plays doc now lol.
Eh, people act like Doc/Mario v. Marth is so unbalanced...

Its obviously in our favor but its not omg **** by any stretch of the imagination. You gotta know your ****.

Boss (and I'm sure Shroomed too) is incredible v. Marth. He'll open your eyes to what Doc can really do.

Niko45

Smash Master
Glad I could help, guys.

I've seen Shroomed say he thinks Doc v Marth is 70/30 Doc's favor, lol.

Personally I think it's 55/45 Marth favor. Doc's a beast, though.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
So i did this awesome combo today. My marth against falco on yoshis. Uthrow onto platform, utilt utilt, uair usmash (non tip, he DIs toward the top plat), uair charged usmash (tip) kills off the top.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Once doc gets inside of marth it's so over. I played pewpewu in semis yesterday and he almost literally only used fair and grab. You guys should watch that set.

Fair is really really REALLY gay though.

:phone:

Walt

Smash Ace
Ok I only watched the first one but: CROUCH CANCEL GRAB

You could have CC grabbed like, everyone of those full hop nairs that fox did, and did he lot of them. But that Fox was kinda a ******.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
based on watching it last night and not putting much thought into it, i think you swing your sword too much against fox. i couldn't really give you much advice on your sheik game, though.

watching those vids indirectly gave me a smash revelation and let me level up a little once i got a chance to practice yesterday, though, so thanks for that i guess ;)

by "smash revelation," i don't mean any revolutionary or ground-breaking knowledge, but just seeing one thing bobby did sorta made a handful of things "click" in my head, enabling me to apply some ideas that have been in the works into my actual game

if you're wondering what that "one thing bobby did" was, it was just a WD back d-tilt

Walt

Smash Ace
I had a great time watching the stream and watching the videos. A whole bunch of games from the two guys that taught me: AWESOME

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I am psychic.

I fail to channel the spirit of Niko and Shroomed ***** the **** out of me. It's really bad. I will not be mad if the video file is lost.

How to avoid getting grabbed by characters like Doc and Sheik?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I find its usually a shield grab that gets marth. That or a grab when they expect you to shield. In either case, better spacing and being more unpredictable helps. Tomahawk is really useful.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
i dunno how your getting grabs by doc unless its like jab grabs, its hard to say how not to get grabbed unless we see the vids, cuz like space better is kinda bad advice but also dont mash buttons when your near shiek assess the situation and gfto dont play around inside ftilt range with laggy moves, its not terrible to downtilt and jab once in awhile but dont throw out moves cuz you scared of getting grabbed thatll get you grabbed.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Ah I knew I forgot something important. I definitely did not empty hop at all. My grab game was super weak yesterday. Will try more dtilting and IASA stuff next time I play.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
im not sure about that.

well, it's definitely scarier.... so i guess that counts for something.

Niko45

Smash Master
confident shield game is key to all matchups

generally speaking if a sheik is opting to hit my shield with moves I'm very happy about that because it means they aren't hitting me and I'll probably actually hit them eventually since I know the holes in that and they could have just grabbed me and ***** me in the first place so I'll glady take some jab/tilts etc on my shield from sheik.

The better sheiks just flat out grab you in anticipation of you shielding because they can start to read when you want/need to shield.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
I think the biggest thing when in shield is patience. I don't see anything wrong with staying in shield just a little bit longer than normal to explore that additional option or wait for that additional space needed to get out safely. It can be the difference between death or going up a stock.

Dart!

Smash Master
I think the biggest thing when in shield is patience. I don't see anything wrong with staying in shield just a little bit longer than normal to explore that additional option or wait for that additional space needed to get out safely. It can be the difference between death or going up a stock.
then they grab you while your in shield...whoops.

Niko45

Smash Master
Ya, sometimes people come out of shield too early and get ***** and sometimes they sit in shield too long and get *****.

Moral of the story, come out of shield exactly when you should, always.

Niko45

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-eVSi10Ujs&feature=feedu

double dip and i don't care
let me have it marth boards.
I think you're a little jump happy at times and sorta constantly want to have a fair coming out to protect yourself out of nervousness. This sheik is extremely ground heavy and that means you should stick to the ground too and focus more on dtilts, dash attacks, and your dash dance game. I'll gladly eat some uncharged needles here or there if I'm still establishing the spacing I want. When you get too predictable with jumps he can time grabs/dash attacks/rolls around your attacks and completely pick you apart from there. Generally speaking it's better to aerial into dash away than to aerial into a passive short hop backwards.

You could also try approaching with overshot nairs more. Campy sheiks will get hit by these a lot and if you hit their shield you can still side step or roll away or potentially dash through them, etc.

Your edgeguard needs to be better. Sometimes you have to be brave and try to bair sheik from the ledge when you think she's sleeping. Instead of taking those hilt fsmashes back off try a quick shffl dair after you stand up and try to connect it to either another dair or a tipper. If she's not at death percent just regrab her and throw her back off stage instead of fsmashing her back across the stage.

Do not over commit against her ever ever ever. If you have blown the edgeguard don't whiff something laggy on her shield and give her a free stock. Be confident in your neutral game. Dropped combos/edgeguards will happen but Marth's neutral game is solid vs sheik so just flip right back into baiting mode and don't dwell on what could have been.

You can easily beat that sheik imo, just go back in the lab and tighten up your game.

Oh, and do everything that you're doing right (which is a lot) faster.

Top Bottom