• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

Niko45

Smash Master
A lot of lower level players use nair wrong because when they don't know what to do they just throw it out there because it's marth's longest lasting hitbox in hopes that the opponent will just run into it or something.

But in general it has great use if you're using it correctly and in the correct matchups. I'm particularly fond of it's shield stabbing capabilities and the lucrative comboing I get out of it at mid %.

Saying nair is bad is like saying shield grabbing is bad. Just have to know when and where to use it.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ that.

I also like to use it sometimes when i want to fade away from a shield. The first hit covers the rise while you fade and the second reapplies the pressure as you land.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
there isn't much difference between them, really. All you really need to know is that when you get hit, press down and then grab.
Yeah, but, just for clarification I'd like to know which you are doing. I knew you could ASDI in your initial dash, but I didn't think you could CC.

Besides, you can CC Fox's nair to a grab up till ~50. I don't think ASDI lasts that long (until 30 or something), so I think distinguishing the two would be useful.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Technically speaking, out of your dash dance, it would be ASDI down. I don't think those numbers are right, but i think the general theory is correct. Crouching alone is supposed to have an effect on stun and knockback (even brawl has this feature) and should reduce the hitstun and make the knockdown percent more than then just ASDI would, but most of the "CC effect" is from the ASDI keeping you grounded.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Oh OK good, so I haven't been terribly wrong about a core gameplay mechanic all these years lol.

But I suppose you are right. I should try pressing down regardless of whether I am in initial dash or not..ASDI is still really good. I'm curious to see the difference in % (I know my CC number is right, but I dunno the ASDI number) for CC and ASDI though.

Niko45

Smash Master
Epic No Johns this weekend. I did pretty well, had my moments but had my share of disappointments as well. Vids coming soon.

Kadano

Magical Express
Bracket:

Dan vs Kadano - 1
Dan vs Kadano - 2
Dan vs Kadano - 3
Dan vs Kadano - 4

What I already noticed:
1) Approach only with Nair and grab; I guess I should use more Dtilt?
2) Too many inappropriate Fsmashes
3) Upthrow-> Upair incorrect DI. I understand it like that: DI the upthrow behind them and the upair in the opposite direction I DIed the upthrow in. Or is there more to it?
4) Wavedash OOS always messed up (I always rolled accidentally)
5) I've fallen for his baits too often and recovered high
6) My timing at edgeguarding the illusion is really bad
7) I always Fsmash after a Dtilt hits his shield instead of grabbing
8 ) I didn't wait long enough when trying to techchase

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Ill be perfectly honest, i don't really watch many matches anymore, but when you've already critiqued yourself i dont really feel the need to critique you for you.

Niko45

Smash Master
I think he varies between being too aggressive and too passive, but yea he's not particularly great at the matchup like he is vs spacies. He's still a good Falco though which is plenty hard enough (-_-) even if the matchup isn't his best.

He's also not nearly as bad at it as HBK makes him look. :D

Max?

Smash Champion
I've come to realize that if you live in a region that isn't Tristate or SoCal, I probably don't care.

mers

Smash Ace
So this has to do with HBK vs Stricnyne AND nair. Lookit me being on topic.

So you know that situation when you've got your opponent popped up above you and you know you can hit them with another aerial, but you won't be able to make a combo out of it? The obvious choice is to push them offstage for edgeguarding.

My question is, which is better for that moment: nair or slightly-charged neutral-B? I've seen people use both. I usually end up nairing, but I wanted to know if I was missing out on anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DxQjhDTjkg#t=07m38s

Here's HBK choosing nair vs Stricnyne, if that helps you visualize the situation.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
He'd tap!

Except for Axe maybe but my money'd still be on Heart Break Kid.
I beg to differ ;)

That said, it was good to see HBK back in action; I'd been wondering since apex (I think was last I saw him) what had happened to him. It'll be great to see a really good marth putting in work.

Niko45

Smash Master
I'd like to see HBK against like Lucky or Zhu. Idk what "wild card" spacies are, but **** it, give him the top level spacies!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I'm just trying to get an idea of how he matches up against top space animals, since y'all are rejecting the possibility that a less than top level player could take him down.

Niko45

Smash Master
I don't know the record but I'm sure it's pretty bad.

Basically he's dominated every space animal he's ever played that wasn't Jman.

He's still imo the 2nd biggest threat to Jman in our region behind Hax.

I've seen him beat Jman before, it just was a while ago and is rare.

Max?

Smash Champion
@ Chival, That kind of thought process is the big reason why smashboards sucks, and you aren't the only one who has it.

Top Bottom