• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "Everyone Look At Me!" The Marth Video Critique Thread.

stopNstart

Smash Journeyman
against sh-nair, Lord taught me to wd back --> cc grab and if they start reading you wit extended dash-attack , retreating sh f-air works. but maybe this is too basic.

and full hop nair he just told me to cc it too lol or dash dance camp it

Niko45

Smash Master
You can't be waiting constantly, though, because you will get cornered/put into disadvantageous situations like with the other Marth poking you with tipped d-tilts. To punish things like that you have to get a read/guess which aren't true "punishes".
Well said. There's nothing in Marth dittos that is truly safe so I'd much rather be the one applying the pressure than being pressured.

Unless the Marth you're playing is really bad and grossly undershoots dash attacks/aerials wait and punish will get you ****ed up. Or more realistically only after a series of good approaches you condition them to expect pressure and you bait them to throw out moves in anticipation of an approach it also becomes viable.

I'll have more thoughts for MT later.

And any Marth struggling with Fox's nair literally just needs to hold down and press L + A.

Niko45

Smash Master
Idk why you'd jump cancel a stationary crouch cancelled grab. That also requires you to be frame perfect out of cc hit stun.

Where as just holding down and L/R and mashing A is basically buffering it for the same result even if you're hypothetically frame perfect at grabbing out of CC'd hit stun.

Niko45

Smash Master
Moon:

Way way way too much nair. The spacing is not good on these nairs either. You're undershooting right in front of him making it easy for him to just wait for it and punish. If you're going to use nair you either need to undershoot it much more so that it works as a bait for dash away pivot grabs, or you need to overshoot it much much more so that it actually hits him.

The other problem by approaching from the air so much is that it takes away your crouch cancel, which explains why nair is such a problem for you. Stay grounded. Approach with dtilts and fsmashes, or honestly plain old running up and grabbing works surprisingly well. Always be on the look out for dash away pivot grab opportunities. If you follow this game plan, even when he does break your spacing and manages to nair you you can emergency cc grab and turn his punishes into big punishes for you, which is obviously a massive game changer.

The other thing you should work on is your out of shield game. It seems spotty at times. Sometimes you shield, wait, and WD out accordingly but other times you're getting stuck in shield and allowing him to pressure you further unnecessarily. WD out fsmash is something I really don't like very much anymore and I think it's much better to just wavedash out of the pressure into a dash dance and basically use stage control (and their anxiety that you just escaped their shield pressure) to create openings for you.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
How do I get out of uthrow uair easiest?
It's so old....It's so gimmicky that I hate to say it but...what's best is "don't get grabbed" I know it's played out...I'm sick of it...*throws up a bit* but it is very true in this case. aside from that you can Superman DI and try to Side-B out but you risk getting hit anyway or go for your own Uair when your around mid-ish percent. try to time smash DI'ing the Uair as best as you can so you don't get the full force...thats all you can do really.(that I can think of)

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Lol what's superman DI? Should I try to DI the throw at all? I was thinking why don't I just go straight up, surely the uair would be easy to smash DI then...or is that wrong?

stelzig

Smash Lord
Personally, I have most succes smash DIing out of Uair to the right, but I imagine that's just me being able to smash DI more in that direction heh (just like my moonwalk to the right is longer). The whole DI behind fox on the throw and smash DI in the opposite direction never really worked for me, though it does put you at a greater distance from fox if he does get you with the strong hit.

Niko45

Smash Master
Personally I prefer not to go crazy over SDIing up airs and basically the DI behind fox, DI back the other way gives me a chance to SDI, and if not, it minimizes how many more up airs he will get after the initial one.

SDIing fox up air is largely about the fox imperfectly up airing you and in my experience DI behind fox is the most difficult DI for him to up air (for what it's worth). Good foxes will still land this but even still I notice it can get pretty awkward to land at higher percents.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Well yeah I suppose. The fox I play most of the time doesn't time/place his Uair so I can't smash DI it most of the time though :) (however I did find that when another guy randomly decided to play fox against me it got significantly harder to do so maybe I should consider DIing behind fox at least if my smash DI doesn't seem to work out :))

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If Fox is forced to do an uair while moving in a direction versus jumping straight up, you can get smash DI easier by SDIing in the opposite direction of him momentum.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Moon:

Way way way too much nair. The spacing is not good on these nairs either. You're undershooting right in front of him making it easy for him to just wait for it and punish. If you're going to use nair you either need to undershoot it much more so that it works as a bait for dash away pivot grabs, or you need to overshoot it much much more so that it actually hits him.
Basically what I was going to say. Those nairs were killing him. That and edgeguarding.

And any Marth struggling with Fox's nair literally just needs to hold down and press L + A.
The problem I have is that I move around so much in that MU that I almost never have my crouch available to me. Is there any way to help resolve this?

I really want to include CC grab into my Fox game. :/

i prefer X+Z

unless i'm in shield
then i'll hold R and mash A
JC grab is ~3 frames slower than stationary grab. So....there is really no reason to do X+Z. Its worse in every way lolz. Use shield TAI :)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
The problem I have is that I move around so much in that MU that I almost never have my crouch available to me. Is there any way to help resolve this?

I really want to include CC grab into my Fox game. :/
use the lvl 9 CPU abuse to help. or red turtle shells whatever. Basically just dash all over the place and then crouch cancel when your about to get hit. Get use to doing it during your dash dance games.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
use the lvl 9 CPU abuse to help. or red turtle shells whatever. Basically just dash all over the place and then crouch cancel when your about to get hit. Get use to doing it during your dash dance games.
...I think you misunderstood my question :/

What I was saying is that since I am in initial dash frames so often in that matchup, I have a tough time CCing Fox's moves (you can't crouch during an initial dash).

Niko45

Smash Master
Yea you can basically CC anything on reaction there's a pretty nice window for it. After a while you just naturally start DIing everything down anyway, at least at low-mid %. And I agree moving a lot is really good against Fox.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Moon, kind of random but you have to tip your U-tilts from zero to some percent if you're gonna throw them onto a platform or they won't knock Fox over and he'll get out of your little combo. Just a small note.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
...I think you misunderstood my question :/

What I was saying is that since I am in initial dash frames so often in that matchup, I have a tough time CCing Fox's moves (you can't crouch during an initial dash).
Yes you can. You can't crouch to cancel your dash animation, but you can still CC.
Yea you can basically CC anything on reaction there's a pretty nice window for it. After a while you just naturally start DIing everything down anyway, at least at low-mid %. And I agree moving a lot is really good against Fox.
What they said.

Dart!

Smash Master
That was the scariest thing i've ever seen. and you didn't even fsmash spam. you did worse, you spammed nair...versus FOX.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
ASDI down lets you hit the ground after you get hit.

CCing works a LOT more effectively because crouching (the actual crouching animation) reduces.... knockback and hitstun and all that jazz.

I think Marth's nair might be the most controversial thing in the entire game of Super Smash Bros Melee.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Lol I can't help being bad...

And that gif...
...Fox is dumb.
agreed. The Upsmash is actually safer than it looks for him

Nair is pretty good. In fact it's kind of amazing imo. Just have to space it better.
Nair isn't horrible I agree. Spaming it is horrible. Spacing it badly makes it worse. Spacing it well and using it in moderation makes it amazing.

ASDI down lets you hit the ground after you get hit.

CCing works a LOT more effectively because crouching (the actual crouching animation) reduces.... knockback and hitstun and all that jazz.

I think Marth's nair might be the most controversial thing in the entire game of Super Smash Bros Melee.
Controversial? How so?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Wait...what? Have I really been wrong about something so fundamental all these years? Really? Woooow.

Are you sure thats not just ASDI down? Is it really the same effect as CC?
there isn't much difference between them, really. All you really need to know is that when you get hit, press down and then grab.

Top Bottom