• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Emblem Lord's Emo Moment

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Lately I have just been feeling like there is no point. I go to tournies and I place well, but I lose to Snake's and MK's. I feel like other Marth players are going through the same thing all across the world.

I also just feel like Marth's popularity is on the decline. He hasn't really been repped during the summer at all and he isn't doing nearly as well as he used to in tournies. I know this is because the pros have turned their backs on him and because Marth doesn't have alot of gimmicks like CGing and things like that. And it doesn't help that his moveset is mostly unchanged and that you CAN play him like his Melee counter part. This leads people to pre-judge Marth and abandon him for other characters.

The other thing that just bugs me is that I CONSTANTLY find the other boards/posters underestimating Marth and perpetuating false info about him or his match-ups. It's simply exhausting and extremely frustrating. I'm tired of defending Marth or trying to convince people that he is actually good. It's tiresome.

And as Marth continues to become more and more unpopular, more and more people will continue to misunderstand what he is capable of.

Another thing that I have just have to accept, is that Marth will NEVER be winning tournies consistently. He isn't good enough. He will never be on the level of MK or Snake. Those two are broken characters and Marth just isn't. So no matter how much work the Marth community puts into Marth, I find myself feeling like it's all in vain.

Which of course...pisses me the **** off.

And of course. Brawl isn't exactly an amazing game. Actually let's be real, it's a bad game. So, now I'm asking myself, "What's the point?" Why am I repping Marth so hard and doing all this work for a character who most likely will never be given any respect and will probably never become popular again?

It just seems so pointless. People in this board will see the dumbest things about Marth, like how SH fair is all he is or other nonsense like that and I don't even have the drive to correct them anymore. I don't even want to debate his match-ups anymore with other people.

And I'm also questioning should I even stay apart of this community. The Smash community has fallen and my crew that was influential in NJ's tournament scene is dying and lost pretty much all of it's unfluence. They are stuck on Melee for the most part, which I want nothing to do with, so now I feel as though I really have no reason so continue on with being apart of this community.

I know this will upset alot of you, but that's really how I feel. I haven't made up my mind yet, but...there it is.

Thoughts/comments?
Part of life is learning to pick yourself up after life beats you down. Haven't you seen any of the Rocky movies?

You're probably beginning to lose faith in your character is because people are telling you he's not "TOP TIER CHARACTER!!!". Sure Marth may not be the best character in the game, but that doesn't really stop you from becoming the best Marth player around. I sometimes wish Snake wasn't top tier so I could enjoy playing the character I set out to master without hearing about how overpowered he is.

I wouldn't recommend giving up on Smash bros. just because you're not placing well at tournaments due to the limitations of your character. Being #1 at a tournament is not everything.

Ranxen

Smash Rookie
I'm starting to use Marth now..I used to not use him just because I thought he was gay looking (samething with Falco and now he's my main)

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
While I've had little experience with ROB, I can say with a lot of practice invested in the matchups that Snake and Meta are uphill battles for Marth. But I won't argue with you if you give me reasons or opinions why they don't, since I'm not in the mood to debate either.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Eh? They are both 4/6 disadvantage for Marth. Snake and Meta I mean. Certainly not horrid match-ups or counters.

R.O.B feels very even to me.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
I'd agree that Metaknight isn't a horrid match-up, but it is a disadvantage; sorry if I use the word "counter" loosely. I still carry over the way it was used in Melee's tier system, where counters were never as hard as they seem to be sometimes in Brawl. However, I'd like to hear explanation of why you think Snake isn't a 3/7 matchup or worse.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth has some distinct advantages over Snake. He is faster, with more range overall, yes that's right Marth has TINY bit more range then Snake. If Marth gets Snake in the air he is going to take quite a bit of damage before he touches the ground. Snake is easy to spike/harrass while he is recovering. And Snake's camping isn't all that difficult to contend with. Marth can also pressure Snake thanks to his speed.

Why do you think it's 3/7?

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
I think it's 3/7 because you can rarely get a hit in on a Snake player who knows how to use his grenades. See, Snake camping is one thing - but Snake camping being the biggest possible ***** in the world with constant grenade usage is much worse and much more detrimental to Marth's approach. That's almost all Snake has to do against Marth, is grenade + shield camp. Then, Snakes aren't going to be spiked by anything really because they always recover from a very far away and high point. Sure it opens a harrass window, but Snake almost never dies even from your constant aerials as they grow stale, and while I haven't calculated whether Snake's ftilt outranges Marth's longest sword attack, it certainly can abused against Marth's approach game and is much more deadly at high %'s than most of Marth's stale attacks. If Snake touches you with his utilt, which is perhaps better than his ftilt, Marth has almost no time to DI, and even if he does, it's still an early KO.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
I'm with emblem lord in this. I don't think this is 3/7 for Snake. Snake doesn't take Marth out of character enough for it to be such a huge disadvantage. Metaknight is the only character that ***** Marth badly enough to even consider 3/7.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If Snake shield camps with a nade one Shieldbreaker is enough to make him **** a brick and never do that again.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Yeah, that works extremely well as a fear inducer, especially because a fully charged shield breaker can kill a lvl 9 Snake in training mode on the center of FD at 51%.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I don't think MK is as good as people make him out to be. He never wins any major tournies, and doesn't have what it takes to be "the best character." People say he's good because a lot of people place high with him, but you never see one actually winning a tourney. Off the top of my head, the top tourney winners so far have been Snake, Lucario, DeDeDe, Falco, IC's, Wario. Not a single MK taking first. M2K seconds MK, but thats about the closest you'll get.

Give it time Emblem Lord. Like you always tell me, train and power up to the next level.

Also, although Ken hasn't made an appearance at any Brawl tournies yet, he thinks Marth has potential to be top tier...Some may discredit Ken, but you have to remember he is a genius at Smash. I'm interested to see his Marth.
im sorry, but you, sir, are a classifiable ******. didnt MK win the last tournament YOU went to? i believe he did. put in a few more years of 6hr a day practice sessions in brawl, and than MAYBE youll have something worthwhile to contribute

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I would prefer if you didn't insult one of my best friends.

Keep the insults out of my thread or I will call a mod. It's that simple.

Yes, I'm biased cuz you insulted my homie. Oh, well.

He admitted he was wrong a little bit later anyway.

Read before you post.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i know him as well since hes a pretty chill dude, and i attend the same tournies as him but he trolled me first so i figured i return the favor

no hard feelins no johns
=)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Eh, it's cool. I figured as much since your from the same town, but I had to stick up for my boy.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
also, since you know i didnt read the whole thread i will say this...

if you feel the way you did when you made this thread, man up.

i play sonic, i think i get a little but more flak about my character than you do, and you can ask jesse, i never fail to rep my character, if you cant win with the 4th best char. in the game.... try harder, thats what i did and it seems to be working out pretty well

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Btu..since you didn't read the whole thread..what you just said no longer applies.

I have already "manned up", as it were.

^_^

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Lorl, if anyone needs to man up, it's Marth! W@FFL3 R0Fl!! He's been my main for 2 months now so that makes me homosexual too I think, by association.

<_<
>_>

*runs*

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
non-tipped?

i'll consider using that o_O

This is interesting. Please further elaborate.

I found this out when I was making the kill percents for my Snake guide (before I practically deleted the whole thing), and it has to be tipped. The funny thing is uncharged, he has to be at 187%. Also tippered fsmash kills him at 88%, and fully charged it kills at 52%.

EDIT: Realized VG was talking about something else. To elaborate, please read this thread. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168613 (It's about Faux Super Armor Frames)

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Yeah at around 80% anything you hit Snake with it, it will hit him too far away. And pretty much nothing chains into fully charged shieldbreaker.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
whut?!! EmoEL is gone? why....? i finally found someone who shares the same values as me and now he mans up?

That's it, i'm going to cut off my d*ck. *sniff* *sobs*

i feel better now...

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
|_|_| No this is extreme. (It's a guy with two faces so yeah)
---O---
....|
..../\
....^ ^

EDITO: Didn't translate well into post.... $p@(^) (I am so bored)

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
lol u r sooo funny tkd+ita+mar= !!!!!!!! :0

what does yur name mean anyways. Just looking at it makes me laugh (in a good way. not making fun. :p)

TLMarth

Smash Ace
This sort of thing happens. You can't expect a character to remain popular forever and ever. Sometimes popularity takes a dip. And you can help it come up again by being faithful to your character. If one quits because others quit, it has a domino effect. Like others said, play with your chosen character if you like him/her regardless of atchups or popularity.

Top Bottom