• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 Rumor/Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Isaac is second party actually, but I don't think that distinction means much.
Second Party and First Party, based on what I'm read, are the exact same thing in theory. People created the term "Second Party" to differentiate between characters created by a Nintendo-owned subsidiary company, or characters Nintendo owns but are developed by a company they licensed the characters out to. Not just Nintendo but any hardware producer, really.

Wonderful 101 is owned by Nintendo, but its licensed to a non-Nintendo subsidiary company. Xenoblade was created by a fully 100% owned Nintendo company, Monolith Soft. Both are considered second-party games. Golden Sun I think falls into the Wonderful 101 category.

I personally think Isaac is a shoe-in, but that's just me. Startropics seems a bit out there, frankly, especially since based one what I'm hearing its never been released in the west. If we get Little Mac, Startropics and Ridley, it would appear they're catering way more to western audiences. I'd think they'd cater to both, not just one.

At this point I'm not believing any of these leaks, either. They seem way too far-fetched to me.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Second Party and First Party, based on what I'm read, are the exact same thing in theory. People created the term "Second Party" to differentiate between characters created by a Nintendo-owned subsidiary company, or characters Nintendo owns but are developed by a company they licensed the characters out to. Not just Nintendo but any hardware producer, really.

Wonderful 101 is owned by Nintendo, but its licensed to a non-Nintendo subsidiary company. Xenoblade was created by a fully 100% owned Nintendo company, Monolith Soft. Both are considered second-party games. Golden Sun I think falls into the Wonderful 101 category.

I personally think Isaac is a shoe-in, but that's just me. Startropics seems a bit out there, frankly, especially since based one what I'm hearing its never been released in the west. If we get Little Mac, Startropics and Ridley, it would appear they're catering way more to western audiences. I'd think they'd cater to both, not just one.

At this point I'm not believing any of these leaks, either. They seem way too far-fetched to me.
It's never been released in the East, you said West.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's never been released in the East, you said West.
I think I was thinking "it was only released in the west" but got it confused because the term we usually say is "it was never released in the west" and I just messed up. Sorry. :p

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
So wait, I'm just catching up here:

-We're believing the Sal Romano leak. So, that adds:

Mii
Pac-Man
Palutena
Chrom
Chorus Men
Shulk

Bringing our total to 36 characters.

-Then there's this new leak, adding to our characters:
Ganondorf
Ridley
Hades
Lucas
Ness
Mike Jones
Chibi-Robo
Robin/ My Avatar Unit
Takamaru
R.O.B.
A DK Newcomer

The total now being 47 characters.

Let's eliminate some spaces:
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Wario
Ice Climbers
Meta Knight
Falco
Mr. Game & Watch

Adding up to 54 characters. Plus, assuming Wolf, Snake and Mewtwo return, there's 57 characters. A considerable amount.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
57 characters? Jesus.

What exactly about this Mike Jones leak is credible? I do hope it's true, especially since it has a DK newcomer, Hades, Takamaru, and Mike Jones, but I'd love to know what's making it so credible, I must've missed something the past few pages.

It'd be amazing if we got that many characters, but holy ****, that's almost 10 more than the "generally expected" amount.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
57 characters? Jesus.

What exactly about this Mike Jones leak is credible? I do hope it's true, especially since it has a DK newcomer, Hades, Takamaru, and Mike Jones, but I'd love to know what's making it so credible, I must've missed something the past few pages.

It'd be amazing if we got that many characters, but holy ****, that's almost 10 more than the "generally expected" amount.
There's nothing credible about it, it's just another text leak from 4chan with nothing out of the ordinary, but people seem to get behind it for the sole reason that they like it. Combine it with the Sal Romano leak, and you have the mess you see at the top of the page.

There's nothing to justify it, so I'm not sure why people give it this much attention.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
There's nothing credible about it, it's just another text leak from 4chan with nothing out of the ordinary, but people seem to get behind it for the sole reason that they like it. Combine it with the Sal Romano leak, and you have the mess you see at the top of the page.

There's nothing to justify it, so I'm not sure why people give it this much attention.
Because people are sheep. What kills it for me is the fact it is nearly all western fan favorites. (No one in Japan has heard of this Mike Jones guy. Nor have I.) In addition, the fact that it comes from 4chan means its false.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
"We" are not believing the Sal Romano leak, some people are. Count me out. The first leak with Wii Fit Trainer is believable, but the second sounds like bs.

The Mike Jones leak is even less believable. lol

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Bummer. I figured, it was definitely a "too good to be true" moment, but with everyone grabbing onto it, I had to check.

I'm sure we're in for at least one or two non-Sal surprises, but 57 characters? Whoa man. Whoa.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I'm sure we're in for at least one or two non-Sal surprises, but 57 characters? Whoa man. Whoa.
I find it interesting that people are so quick to disbelieve 50+ character rosters. When we first started speculating about this Smash, most people were saying 'Well, I doubt we'll see more characters than 45!' and now people are saying 'Well, it's possible that it could be 50!', but now when leaks show up that have more than 50 people are so quick to say 'OH GOD IT'S MORE THAN FIFTY FAKE IMMEDIATELY FAKE'.

It's easy to be skeptical about anything more than 50, but considering Sakurai's got a huge team over at Bamco, I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 4 has some more, uh.. surprises. We also can't rule out the possibility of DLC, either. I know Sakurai and Nintendo loves to release a finished product, but it's clear they're not adverse to DLC and people should be accepting of it if the DLC isn't on disc or purposely cut content, and genuinely enriches the game in some form.

Besides, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 had 56 characters and sprites are considerably more difficult, timely and more expensive to make compared to 3D models. Heck, Marvel vs. Capcom 1 had 15 characters with a few "secrets". So that's something like 41 newcomers to that series, and those were, as I said before, all sprites and the game was considerably more complicated all around in comparison to Smash.

So really, I don't find leaks and rosters over fifty to be that farfetched.

But I still think the Mike Jones / Hades / Ridley Wonder Leak too good to be true.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I find it interesting that people are so quick to disbelieve 50+ character rosters. When we first started speculating about this Smash, most people were saying 'Well, I doubt we'll see more characters than 45!' and now people are saying 'Well, it's possible that it could be 50!', but now when leaks show up that have more than 50 people are so quick to say 'OH GOD IT'S MORE THAN FIFTY FAKE IMMEDIATELY FAKE'.

It's easy to be skeptical about anything more than 50, but considering Sakurai's got a huge team over at Bamco, I wouldn't be surprised if Smash 4 has some more, uh.. surprises. We also can't rule out the possibility of DLC, either. I know Sakurai and Nintendo loves to release a finished product, but it's clear they're not adverse to DLC and people should be accepting of it if the DLC isn't on disc or purposely cut content, and genuinely enriches the game in some form.

Besides, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 had 56 characters and sprites are considerably more difficult, timely and more expensive to make compared to 3D models. Heck, Marvel vs. Capcom 1 had 15 characters with a few "secrets". So that's something like 41 newcomers to that series, and those were, as I said before, all sprites and the game was considerably more complicated all around in comparison to Smash.

But I still think the Mike Jones / Hades / Ridley Wonder Leak too good to be true.
Although quite a few were just brought over from Street Fighter vs. X-Men and Marvel Super Heroes.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one confused that there's been no new leaks and E3 is less than a week away?

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Although quite a few were just brought over from Street Fighter vs. X-Men and Marvel Super Heroes.
Certainly true, but those still had to have been made somewhere to be brought over there. ;)

I was just using it as an example. Considering the technology and money getting thrown at Bamco and Sakurai to get this done, don't be surprised if the roster goes over 50.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

It's more that a roster with more than 51-52 characters implies a much larger number of newcomers than I'd expect. Despite your obvious dislike of it, let's consider the Sal leak, and the current newcomers, which would give us 12. Adding all the Brawl characters and Mewtwo and subtracting Ivysquirtle = 38+12 = 50. Brawl had 18 newcomers, but I don't that many this time. Adding one or two surprises, who knows, maybe even three, leaves us with a roster of 53.

I of course wouldn't hate it if I got it, but we'll see.

Last edited:

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
It's more that a roster with more than 51-52 characters implies a much larger number of newcomers than I'd expect. Despite your obvious dislike of it, let's consider the Sal leak, and the current newcomers, which would give us 12. Adding all the Brawl characters and Mewtwo and subtracting Ivysquirtle = 38+12 = 50. Brawl had 18 newcomers, but I don't that many this time. Adding one or two surprises, who knows, maybe even three, leaves us with a roster of 53.

I of course wouldn't hate it if I got it, but we'll see.
It's not really obvious dislike, it's more like general suspension of belief and healthy skepticism. I've already argued on other topics why I think the Sal Romano leak is what we're going to inevitably get (long story short, the defining factor is how disappointing it is), but that doesn't mean I have to lay there and take it, y'know?

Anyway, what it boils down to is essentially how far they want to go with the game. 50 sounds like a nice round number to stop at, but why stop there if you have the time and resources? Only eleven newcomers is so underwhelming, especially if the resources for the returning veterans are mostly transferred over from Brawl, which seems to be the case.

Honestly, I could see them stopping at 50 and doing DLC to bring us up to 55 or so. No matter how skeptical you are of DLC, all the evidence is pointing in that direction. Doesn't help that we've got DLC for Mario Golf 3DS, a game that should, for all intents and purposes, be nothing close to Smash Brothers popularity.

Wait, there's a new leak? SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME PLZ
So wait, I'm just catching up here:

-We're believing the Sal Romano leak. So, that adds:

Mii
Pac-Man
Palutena
Chrom
Chorus Men
Shulk

Bringing our total to 36 characters.

-Then there's this new leak, adding to our characters:
Ganondorf
Ridley
Hades
Lucas
Ness
Mike Jones
Chibi-Robo
Robin/ My Avatar Unit
Takamaru
R.O.B.
A DK Newcomer

The total now being 47 characters.

Let's eliminate some spaces:
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Wario
Ice Climbers
Meta Knight
Falco
Mr. Game & Watch

Adding up to 54 characters. Plus, assuming Wolf, Snake and Mewtwo return, there's 57 characters. A considerable amount.
There y'go. Essentially the gist of it.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
It's not really obvious dislike, it's more like general suspension of belief and healthy skepticism. I've already argued on other topics why I think the Sal Romano leak is what we're going to inevitably get (long story short, the defining factor is how disappointing it is), but that doesn't mean I have to lay there and take it, y'know?

Anyway, what it boils down to is essentially how far they want to go with the game. 50 sounds like a nice round number to stop at, but why stop there if you have the time and resources? Only eleven newcomers is so underwhelming, especially if the resources for the returning veterans are mostly transferred over from Brawl, which seems to be the case.

Honestly, I could see them stopping at 50 and doing DLC to bring us up to 55 or so. No matter how skeptical you are of DLC, all the evidence is pointing in that direction. Doesn't help that we've got DLC for Mario Golf 3DS, a game that should, for all intents and purposes, be nothing close to Smash Brothers popularity.

There y'go. Essentially the gist of it.
What is this new leak that adds in:
Ganondorf
Ridley
Hades
Lucas
Ness
Mike Jones
Chibi-Robo
Robin/ My Avatar Unit
Takamaru
R.O.B.
A DK Newcomer
I've never heard of it..

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The leak is too long, too detailed. A person clamoring for attention.

Real leakers may not want their post found right away by Nintendo. They might just leave the facts as proof to the community that they had the knowledge prior.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He's first party. Ask @ N3ON N3ON Nintendo owns the company that developed the game.
Isaac actually is second-party. Nintendo doesn't own the majority of Camelot, and therefore presumably only partially owns the IP.

However as others have said, that doesn't really mean all that much.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
This new leak has zero credibility. At least the Sal leak has some evidence behind it/isn't too detailed.

But I don't believe either leak, regardless

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"Studios who are partially or wholly owned by the platform holder (also known as a subsidiary) and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform."

That's second party.
Second party is an affiliate or partner that Nintendo owns a minority amount of or is contractually exclusive to Nintendo.

Subsidiaries are owned, either wholly or partially (but more than 50%) by a parent company, in this case Nintendo. If Nintendo is the studio's parent company, they own the rights to products produced by that studio, and the studio is thus first-party. First-party doesn't just apply to Nintendo themselves, studios like IS, HAL, and Retro (among others) are also all primarily or completely owned by Nintendo, and first-parties.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Second party is an affiliate or partner that Nintendo owns a minority amount of or is contractually exclusive to Nintendo.

Subsidiaries are owned, either wholly or partially (but more than 50%) by a parent company, in this case Nintendo. If Nintendo is the studio's parent company, they own the rights to products produced by that studio, and the studio is thus first-party. First-party doesn't just apply to Nintendo themselves, studios like IS, HAL, and Retro (among others) are also all primarily or completely owned by Nintendo, and first-parties.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

I blame N3ON on Nintendo losing Rareware. That said, I'm pretty sure Camelot left Nintendo entirely around the time of the original Wii's launch

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
I blame N3ON on Nintendo losing Rareware. That said, I'm pretty sure Camelot left Nintendo entirely around the time of the original Wii's launch
i don't think so. they made a sequel to golden sun the lost age exclusively for the DS. on top of that Isaac was an assist trophy in brawl, so they must still have some rights to it.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I really hate when this thread does stuff like this. There have been text leaks before, but this thread is digging into this random dude on 4chan's text post just because people here like what they hear. Come on guys. It literally has no credibility. And people here cannot deny that Sal leak has evidence for it, as some people here have said it does not. Not missing a character yet and nailing WFT and Villager (the latter of which Sakurai had said before would never come to Smash) is a big deal. Then Little Mac... There's extreme evidence for that leak being real. Do not deny that. So why are we so into this random text leak? Just because we like it? Chibi-Robo I'd be psyched for sure, but we gotta have a real mind here folks.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
i don't think so. they made a sequel to golden sun the lost age exclusively for the DS.
Sega made F-Zero GX and Namco made Starfox Assault, both exclusives, yet and they are still 3rd party. I remember they were developing golf games for pc for a bit.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Its also the only E3 related leak to talk about atm. Everything else has been debunked 100% or no new info. Speaking of him, anyone know if he's said anything else? I don't understand how to browse 4chan

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Its also the only E3 related leak to talk about atm. Everything else has been debunked 100% or no new info. Speaking of him, anyone know if he's said anything else? I don't understand how to browse 4chan
I'm gonna look for it, but I hope he'll tell us he had been joking from the start. I think we will have 48 characters, no more. Not 54-58, too much.

Sebagomez

Smash Journeyman
I was doing logical reasoning... and the final roster, surely will look like this:

- Grovyle, you know Water (Greninja) vs. Fire (Charizard) vs. Grass (Grovyle). Pokémon Alpha & Omega.
- Chrom, is good for me.
- Shulk make sense.
- King K. Rool, highly requested
- Palutena make sense. Moar KiD ICARUS SHARACTERSS!1!!1!

edit: Oh My God I Forget CAPTIN FALCON, JIGGLYPUFF NESS AND LUCAS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom