• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 E3 2014 Rumor/Leak Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I don't really see how having both Mike Jones and Takamaru makes it seem fake, Melee gave us 3 retro characters (Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, and Marth if he counts) and Brawl gave us 2 (Pit and R.O.B.). The only thing I can see wrong with this is Hades, I think it's far more likely that Palutena would get in over Hades, but it's completely possible that they could both be playable.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
That aside, it is hard believing any leak that is so drastically different from the Sal leak
Man, has it really gotten so bad now that people compare every leak against the Sal Romano leak? This is bad. This is some body snatchers ****.

Let's be honest, it's deader than all the dead things actually. So sad, I coul believe it until today...
Its own ambition killed it. It's not disappointing enough. A disappointing leak would be best and more easily believed by the least gullible of the Smash populace. Something like..

Oops. Beaten to the punch. :troll:

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Man, has it really gotten so bad now that people compare every leak against the Sal Romano leak? This is bad. This is some body snatchers ****.

Its own ambition killed it. It's not disappointing enough. A disappointing leak would be best and more easily believed by the least gullible of the Smash populace. Something like..

Oops. Beaten to the punch. :troll:
Well why is it disappointing ? It has good chars in.

Oh now that I remember, Brawl revealed all the good newcomers before the release, leaving the meh ones (Rob, toon Link, Wolf, Lucario at the time) aside. May happen again maybe ?

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why everybody holds onto the Gematsu leak like it was a holy entity that can't be denied. Is it believable? Yes. Does that make it legit enough to automatically hold every other leak againts it and automatically call out a leak fake because it contradicts Sal's? No.
Also nobody should really be beliveing in any leak at all, and take them like what they are, rumors that could've easily be written by any of us. Leaks are nice but they most of the time come along with broken dreams and dead hype once the game comes out or (in this case) Sakurai reveals evidence againts them

bnui_ransder

Smash Rookie
I don't understand why everybody holds onto the Gematsu leak like it was a holy entity that can't be denied. Is it believable? Yes. Does that make it legit enough to automatically hold every other leak againts it and automatically call out a leak fake because it contradicts Sal's? No.
Also nobody should really be beliveing in any leak at all, and take them like what they are, rumors that could've easily be written by any of us. Leaks are nice but they most of the time come along with broken dreams and dead hype once the game comes out or (in this case) Sakurai reveals evidence againts them
The only reason I "believe" any of these leaks that come out is to just help and pass the time. Also that mentality of "I wonder how close this guy might be to the actual release!"

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
For now let's focus on the E3 leak, because it will be the first one to be proven as fake (or true) in a week while Gematsu can hold on until the release.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Well why is it disappointing ? It has good chars in.

Oh now that I remember, Brawl revealed all the good newcomers before the release, leaving the meh ones (Rob, toon Link, Wolf, Lucario at the time) aside. May happen again maybe ?
Well, I'm totally down with Palutena, and I have no choice but to accept Villager and Wii Forced Trainer, but characters like Shulk, Chorus Men, Chrom, Pac-Man and Mii won't really set a fire in my belly, y'know? It just kinda reminds me that Sakurai stopped caring about his job sometime late in Melee's development. It's not necessarily that all the good Brawl newcomers were revealed early, it was mostly that all the ones after those were disappointing. Same thing happened with Melee. Past behavior is a great indicator of future behavior.

So I typically look at how disappointing the leak is to me when gauging how real or fake it might be, and the Sal Romano leak is probably the second most disappointing I've seen. I can't even remember the first most disappointing leak I've seen. It collapsed in on itself into a singularity of depression and disappointment, from which no expectations can escape.

At this point I'm pretty much waiting for the third leak to drop hours before the E3 presentation revealing Sheriff, Duck Hunt Dog, Diskun and Doshin the Giant. Then if any of those show up at E3, or Chorus Men, I'll probably drive to Gamestop and ask for my money back for my preorder.

Last edited:

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
At this point I'm pretty much waiting for the third leak to drop hours before the E3 presentation revealing Sheriff, Duck Hunt Dog, Diskun and Doshin the Giant. Then if any of those show up at E3, or Chorus Men, I'll probably drive to Gamestop and ask for my money back for my preorder.
If any of those show up at E3, you will be hailed as the new Sal Romano and anything you say about Smash Bros going forward will be regarded as fact :troll:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Hey Shin, what proof is there that Retro is making Startropics? Considering its relevancy to this Mike leak, it may be worth looking into

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Hey Shin, what proof is there that Retro is making Startropics? Considering its relevancy to this Mike leak, it may be worth looking into
Thing is, no-one knows what Retro's working on. They confirmed it's not Metroid or Donkey Kong, but they've been super hush-hush about it, so who knows? It could be another franchise revival. Star Tropics fits that category. Having said that, I don't actually believe that's what Retro's working on. I'd say the odds are about 70% Star Fox, 20% F-Zero and 10% Franchise Revival.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Alright, I'm going to try to make a TL:DR of it, because the research was a bit extensive...

Give me a second and I'll whip it up.

(Segment taken from Iwata Asks: Punch Out!)

(Games from IPs where Genyo Takeda was involved, that Kensuke Tanabe ressurrected)

(Full list of games made by Genyo Takeda. Blue are games ressurrected by Kensuke Tanabe. Red are for the likeliest choices).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/daijin/SThint3_zps6b1c5867.jpg
(A small bio of Kensuke Tanabe)

And for the final piece of the puzzle....

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/223336-retro-calls-wii-u-a-powerhouse-confirms-work-on-new-mystery-game

That's all I have.
Please note that I'm STILL cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Thing is, no-one knows what Retro's working on. They confirmed it's not Metroid or Donkey Kong, but they've been super hush-hush about it, so who knows? It could be another franchise revival. Star Tropics fits that category. Having said that, I don't actually believe that's what Retro's working on. I'd say the odds are about 70% Star Fox, 20% F-Zero and 10% Franchise Revival.
Well, you can't usually trust developers when they say things they are not making. Plus, Retro has said they'd love to 'get back to the Prime series' sometime. But the thing is, Prime 3 was the final Prime. :p I am still sure they are working in a FPA Metroid, only, not a Prime one. Thus, a new series.

Also remember that it's been heavily implied they have a different team working on someting alongside Tropical Freeze. All Retro said was that 'their new Project is not Metroid', which they can say as they wouldn't work on two Metroids, and it wouldn't be a lie.

Not saying they are, but I do expect they are. :p And I expect a CGi Teaser for a FPA Metroid at E3.

Neo Zero

@ shinhed-echi shinhed-echi That was mighty good research, if you did this all yourself, I'm really impressed (even if you just found it, I'm still a bit impressed lol).

It does raise the possibility that the leaker may have seen the same signs you did however, and thus banked on Mike and Startropics reboot. Of course like I jokingly said, if Mike is shown with Lucas at e3, ill believe this leak. That being said, my opinion is the same as all other leaks, but we will find out in 6 days (oh my god its so close!!!) If anyone is right or we just have many trying for a claim at fame.

Which speaking of fame, that is likely the reason a Nintendo employee would post this stuff, notoriety. Even if they can't take credit for it, some people love having notoriety to the masses. While of course anyone of us can pull the whole "i work at Nintendo shtick" and make up a rumor, it is seemingly possible for the Nintendo treehouse staff members to know by now the e3 release schedule for Sm4sh. Its not unheard of for one lower rank off camera personal to want to feel bigger than he is and leak this stuff.

On a personal note, I truly find any leak without a 3rd party even harder to believe, just because it seems like Nintendo would unveil third parties at the biggest show. I know Sonic is an exception for this in both games, but one he was recently added and announced to soften the blow from the delay, and this time he was a vet with a game to promote. Ah well, in the end, we just have to wait and see (would love for Hades, Takamaru, Mike, Ridley, Avatar and K Rool to all be playable, so ill admit, a small part of me wants to believe :p )

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
(would love for Hades, Takamaru, Mike, Ridley, Avatar and K Rool to all be playable, so ill admit, a small part of me wants to believe :p )
Don't forget Chibi Robo, our warrior.
Well he said Mike Jones and Ridley at E3, but never said other names, except at least one veteran. We can have more I guess ? (Or stall at 3 characters)

Neo Zero

Yoshi-Thomas said:
Don't forget Chibi Robo, our warrior.
Well he said Mike Jones and Ridley at E3, but never said other names, except at least one veteran. We can have more I guess ? (Or stall at 3 characters)
Names he stated to be at E3 are

Mike Jones
Lucas (revealed together)
Chibi Robo
Possible Ridley tease (he never said Ridley would be confirmed in the first place, just a tease, and unlike Hades/Gdorf he never said Ridley would not still be teased)

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
But why would we have Lucas and Mike together, if they appear in the same video, that is ? Have they common points allowing them to be shown together ?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If there is a new Metroid that goes back to the style of the Prime series, I will cry.
I will cry too, but mostly because I want a 2.5D sidescroller Metroid.

As for the update on the Hades/Ridz/Ganon leak, it's still got nothing that makes it any more believable than the thousands of other 4chan leaks. Seriously, I'd like it to be real, but lets get realistic here, no 4chan Smash leak has ever been right, it heavily contradicts the Gematsu leak which has a ton more credibility, and it has way more fan service than Sakurai has given us up 'till this point. It's no different from the millions of other leaks that were eventually killed in the old leak thread, so I'm not sure what all the fuzz is about. Don't believe things just because they sound awesome, I could write up a fake leak too and it'd have just as much credibility as this one has.

polonight

Smash Journeyman
@ shinhed-echi shinhed-echi That was mighty good research, if you did this all yourself, I'm really impressed (even if you just found it, I'm still a bit impressed lol).

It does raise the possibility that the leaker may have seen the same signs you did however, and thus banked on Mike and Startropics reboot. Of course like I jokingly said, if Mike is shown with Lucas at e3, ill believe this leak. That being said, my opinion is the same as all other leaks, but we will find out in 6 days (oh my god its so close!!!) If anyone is right or we just have many trying for a claim at fame.

Which speaking of fame, that is likely the reason a Nintendo employee would post this stuff, notoriety. Even if they can't take credit for it, some people love having notoriety to the masses. While of course anyone of us can pull the whole "i work at Nintendo shtick" and make up a rumor, it is seemingly possible for the Nintendo treehouse staff members to know by now the e3 release schedule for Sm4sh. Its not unheard of for one lower rank off camera personal to want to feel bigger than he is and leak this stuff.

On a personal note, I truly find any leak without a 3rd party even harder to believe, just because it seems like Nintendo would unveil third parties at the biggest show. I know Sonic is an exception for this in both games, but one he was recently added and announced to soften the blow from the delay, and this time he was a vet with a game to promote. Ah well, in the end, we just have to wait and see (would love for Hades, Takamaru, Mike, Ridley, Avatar and K Rool to all be playable, so ill admit, a small part of me wants to believe :p )
Just to let you know, twitch leaked its schedule and it says there are four new Nintendo games being announced...
Link:- http://kotaku.com/twitchs-e3-schedule-is-full-of-juicy-teasers-1584790308/all
This does make it plausible that startropics is getting a reboot

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If there is a new Metroid that goes back to the style of the Prime series, I will cry.
We will. I love the side scroller titles, but nothing tops a good 3D Prime-style Metroid.

Also, when did Retro confirm they aren't working on Metroid? I have never heard of this before.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Still expect Retro to tease a Prime-like Meroid in the Digital Event. ^^ We shall see. Plus, how many times have big-shots in gaming said they won't do this/aren't making this, only to reveal they ARE?

But we'll see. So, anyone saw that Metroid Game leak?

Neo Zero

I believe Mother and Startropics are treated as sort of polar opposites of each other, though they also have a lot of similarities as well.

I don't believe anyone here really believes it, but the point of this thread is to discuss it, and due to Shins research, there is a possibility here. Not a good one, but a possibility all the same.

Could there not be more titles as well? This twitch schedule would only pertain to what Twitch shows right? Its possible a few titles would not be showcased on it after all I'm sure.

Also on an unrelated note, I imagine the 3ds Q&A game would probably be a new Metroid, but that's more just wishful thinking.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, I'm totally down with Palutena, and I have no choice but to accept Villager and Wii Forced Trainer, but characters like Shulk, Chorus Men, Chrom, Pac-Man and Mii won't really set a fire in my belly, y'know? It just kinda reminds me that Sakurai stopped caring about his job sometime late in Melee's development. It's not necessarily that all the good Brawl newcomers were revealed early, it was mostly that all the ones after those were disappointing. Same thing happened with Melee. Past behavior is a great indicator of future behavior.

So I typically look at how disappointing the leak is to me when gauging how real or fake it might be, and the Sal Romano leak is probably the second most disappointing I've seen. I can't even remember the first most disappointing leak I've seen. It collapsed in on itself into a singularity of depression and disappointment, from which no expectations can escape.

I like how you judge a leaks validity by how much you personally dislike it. Sakurai must really have it out for you.

Neo Zero

Names he stated to be at E3 are

Mike Jones
Lucas (revealed together)
Chibi Robo
Possible Ridley tease (he never said Ridley would be confirmed in the first place, just a tease, and unlike Hades/Gdorf he never said Ridley would not still be teased)
Quoting this to point out an error I made and only just realized

There was a trailer of both Ganondorf and Hades; but apparently there was a change of plans for what is to be revealed at E3, which I will get to in the days to come. The trailer for those two exists however, so that much I can tell you
So according to this, he still hasn't revealed the final E3 plans. I guess he'll say in one of his attention seeking posts on 4chan at some time.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
1) Mike Jones. He fully utilizes all of his abilities and array of items he has in the games.

I wanted to get this out of the way because this is possibly ONE of the reasons for the E3 change of plans. Tanabe in tandem with Retro have been working on Star Tropics for quite a while; and it's one of their main hopes to become a hit and demonstrate what they are capable of. If you haven't gotten the hint, it'll be shown in this upcoming direct from Nintendo.
Well we have startropic at E3 but maybe not Mike Jones.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It drives me insane when people call Robin "the avatar." Is it just because people haven't played FE: Awakening? The character has a default name. It's Robin. The character's name is Robin. Just because you can name the character doesn't negate this fact (see: Link, Ness, Lucas). If you want to go by what the character is called in the technical manuals then the character's name is My Unit and we all know that's not what the character would be called.

I want Robin playable personally, but I disregard a leak that lists him/her as "the avatar."

Edit: Why are people so resistant to call the character by their name? There are so many terms for this one character WITH A NAME. Avatar, My Unit, Tactician, etc. Why is it so rare to get anybody who uses the name the game GIVES YOU?

But this leak is ridiculous anyway. This guy is all about Nintendo rebooting ancient franchises as justifications for character inclusions. Also idiotic things like "ROB was heavily buffed" is as amateur as you can get with this kind of stuff.
I have over 500 hours in awakening. I didn't know who robin was until I came here. Who doesn't name their avatar?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Thanks!

... Well, he certainly mentions Tanabe and Retro Studios, so at least he did his research...

All I know is the planets are closer to aligning again before we get another chance this close to a new Startropics reveal, so if it isn't done at THIS E3, it probably never will.

I'm a bit skeptical of Hades, mostly.. But we've been that road before when Wolf was revealed instead of Krystal.

Sadly the part about Ridley is what makes me doubt the leak a bit.
It kinda feels like "damage control" to Mike, who's the exact opposite in terms of popularity.
But, we'll have to see.

Chibi Robo: Well.... yeah, Olimar. Tiny guy, new-ish franchise, etc

I'm surprised I'm not seeing Takamaru anywhere. I thought he was supposed to be a back-to-back reveal with Mike?

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Thanks!

... Well, he certainly mentions Tanabe and Retro Studios, so at least he did his research...

All I know is the planets are closer to aligning again before we get another chance this close to a new Startropics reveal, so if it isn't done at THIS E3, it probably never will.

I'm a bit skeptical of Hades, mostly.. But we've been that road before when Wolf was revealed instead of Krystal.

It kinda feels like "damage control" to Mike, who's the exact opposite in terms of popularity.
But, we'll have to see.

I'm surprised I'm not seeing Takamaru anywhere. I thought he was supposed to be a back-to-back reveal with Mike?
Ill sum up the whole thing since you got here

First post) Hades, Ganondorf and Ridley. Hades and Ganondorf would be shown together in a trailer, while Ridley was to be teased like in the Direct

Second post) Mike, Lucas and Chibi Robo. Mike and Lucas in a trailer together, and the Hades/Gdorf one is delayed

Third post) Robin/Avatar/My Unit, Takamaru and ROB. Nothing incredible to note here. Also says will reveal e3 plans, and says in the comments of his thread that DK is getting a newcomer.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Thanks!

But, we'll have to see.

http://boards.deniableplausibility.net/v/thread/246362815#p246363921

Here sir.

EDIT ; fixed the link.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Ill sum up the whole thing since you got here

First post) Hades, Ganondorf and Ridley. Hades and Ganondorf would be shown together in a trailer, while Ridley was to be teased like in the Direct

Second post) Mike, Lucas and Chibi Robo. Mike and Lucas in a trailer together, and the Hades/Gdorf one is delayed

Third post) Robin/Avatar/My Unit, Takamaru and ROB. Nothing incredible to note here. Also says will reveal e3 plans, and says in the comments of his thread that DK is getting a newcomer.
Ridley, Chibi Robo, Robin + DK newcomer? I want to believe. Where is Palutena, though :/

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Ridley, Chibi Robo, Robin + DK newcomer? I want to believe. Where is Palutena, though :/
Not against the Sal leak, but assuming both are true...

11 Romano + Rosalina + 7 from 4 chan = 19.

We will probably get another Pokemon, assuming Mewtwo is a newcomer, it makes 20 newcomers, two more than Brawl.
FYI, Melee had 14 newcomers (counting Sheik), Brawl had 18 (counting Squi, Ivy and ZSS).
What is strange with this "leaker" is how he knows all those characters... and so far from the release. And he doesn't work in the game, but managed to get those infos.
If tomorrow he reveals other new characters than those we know, thus breaking the roster limit, I guess we can call it fake before E3 even started.
(I know we can't use the Sal as an holy entity, but we may use it as a reference if we want to, right ? Right, and anyway it's just for E3. )

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
The person didn't even reveal the rest of the veterans like Wario. Then again, the archive does say that he/she is going to stop by today. I want to get off this ruse cruise, I really do

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
We will probably get another Pokemon, assuming Mewtwo is a newcomer, it makes 20 newcomers, two more than Brawl.
"If Pokemon Trainer is counted as a single character, each game before the fourth entry has introduced 2 more newcomers than the previous one."
-Smash Wiki

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hades: I have my doubts, since Sakurai seems to be giving a little more attention to female characters this time around, and Palutena was a pretty safe choice for everyone.

Ganondorf: Puzzled by the fact that he's getting early spotlight, since he's usually a hidden character. Then again, maybe Sakurai doesn't want hidden Mario/Zelda characters so he can show as many popular characters as he can.
It feels weird to have him revealed together with Hades... But who knows. Maybe they do have a villain-themed trailer?

Ridley: Again, I think this is either damage control, or Sakurai was clearly pulling our legs by announcing him as a boss.

Mike: I can only see Mike getting in as promotional material for StarTropics. And there's at least some proof that it COULD be the project Retro is working on.

Lucas: Nothing wrong with him. It's about time he was shown. Shown together with Mike is... strange. But maybe it's one of those "East meets west" moments people want to see. Mother and StarTropics have some similarities. Mother 3 in particular takes place on an island. And Mike is all about visitting islands... I dunno.

Robin/Avatar/MyUnit: Now THIS isn't hard for me to believe. Sakurai wants fresh new movesets, therefore I don't see him adding CHROM who IMHO wouldn't bring anything new to the table. (Marth = Fast swordsman, Ike = Strong swordsman, Chrom = ???) Robin, on the other hand is a Tactician, the core element of some Fire Emblem games. The silent protagonist, and the unsung hero. He would have units at his disposal, as well as some melee expertise and magic skills of his/her own. Plus... can't waste the opportunity of another gender-bending Alt.Costume, right?

Takamaru: This guy has some pretty good chances, after all the hidden advertising he's been getting lately. NintendoLand, Samurai Warriors 3, wishful talks from Kamiya about his game getting remade, and last but not least, the VC re-release to international waters for the first time. Takamaru packs the punch that this leak needs, if you ask me.

ROB: I don't see any relation to anything when I think of ROB. Sure, I know ROB was a cameo in StarTropics (Mike's submarine's co-pilot) but other than that, he seems like a random addition to include now of all times.

Other DK: Yeah, this screams to me "K.Rool" damage control again. But make no mistake, I can see another DK character pretty likely thanks to Tropical Freeze. But I think that character's going to be Dixie for some reason. I'm indifferent on Dixie vs K.Rool so I'd welcome either one. It's just that I'm sure Sakurai wants kids who played Tropical Freeze to be able to pick up a character that was playable there.

Chibi Robo: I don't have a lot of faith in Chibi Robo. But who knows, it can happen. I mean, out of the newcomers so far, we have 4 new IPs. (Animal Xing, Wii Fit, Megaman, Punch Out!) so I don't think the new IP's are stopping there.

My only worry is.... this is TOO many characters revealed. Too many. I can believe something like 3-6 without a screenshot, but this?
The only highlights of this rumor for me are Mike (for the investigation, more than the character), Takamaru, and Robin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom