• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DWYP 1 Archieves ( Merged )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Last question, I've talked to CK about this a LONG time ago, when I just had entered the DH. I don't have have Firefox, so some of my posts have to take at least like 4 posts, and I got warned because of this, is it alright only for the tourney, that I be aloud to do this. My dad is not huge on downloads, he's pretty virus- phobic? Can this happen only for tourney purposes?
As Zephyr said, double, triple and even quadruple posting is allowed in DWYP debate topics.

By the way, Firefox is much more secure and much less buggy than IE. If your dad needs convincing, click on this link. That post convinced Cashed's dad to switch to Firefox, so it might work on yours too.

I'm on the 'yes' side right?
Yep.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
For my debate topic, when will I be going? They told me that I would start on a Monday and debate until the Wednesday.
And I'm not sure is Scav is anti-Canada?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I just searched the web, and I'm pretty sure that I've got my topic won. 0_0 No point in making unwarranted assumptions, though, I'm pretty sure Lonejedi's got a couple tricks up his sleeve. Since both my debate parter and I can't do the debate this weekend, could it get moved to next Monday?

D

Deleted member

You know, even if the debate is pretty one sided, an extreme:

Was Hitler wrong?

Yes, you know he's wrong, and we all know that. That doesn't mean that the person who has the pro stance will automatically win. I'm sure that bias doesn't count here, so to whoever said that they have their match already won, good luck, because you don't know that yet, it doesn't matter which stance you are on. It's how hard you got your debate on.

^^^ my name is Jake

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
And I'm not sure is Scav is anti-Canada?
No, not really.

He's arguing that way out of the kindness of his heart.

You know, even if the debate is pretty one sided, an extreme:

Was Hitler wrong?

Yes, you know he's wrong, and we all know that. That doesn't mean that the person who has the pro stance will automatically win. I'm sure that bias doesn't count here, so to whoever said that they have their match already won, good luck, because you don't know that yet, it doesn't matter which stance you are on. It's how hard you got your debate on.
I (and all the other judges) will put our utmost effort into ignoring our personal opinions and biases while judging these debates.

Even if you're sure that your side is correct, it doesn't matter. If all the judges are sure that your side is correct, it still doesn't matter. It's who presents the better argument that matters, and nothing else.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Mediocre beat me. Delorted nailed it. We don't care what side of the issue is correct. Chances are none of you will have the correct answer because then it wouldn't so hotly a debated topic, now would it?

This is to show that you can present ideas in a fashion that is easy for the complete novice to the subject. We, the judges I mean, will go into the contest with a clean slate on all topics. I have strong political opinions on A LOT of the topics up there, but I am wiping the slate clean. You guys have to teach us. Does this all make sense?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
So will all the judges be adopting a sort of tabula rasa approach to judging? Like to the extent that we dictate what paradigm to evaluate the round in?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Evil Eye needs to post the rubric we discussed last night on AIM. That should clarify judging procedure. Hopefully he gets that up before tomorrow.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
can't wait for this. do i need to go and do research on this? 'cause i've never done this type of thing before.

anyway, on friday, i hope it doesn't start in the evening, 'cause i'm going on a group outing with my church group. all-night laser-tag! so friday i might not be able to start. saturday though i'll be free.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I'm going to have to ask for a postponement. I have had very little time this week between work, smash, working on a C-vid and updating the IC finder/my metagame article. I'll need the weekend to research, and on Monday I will be ready or I will forfeit. I don't want to hold this thing up.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
When is the debate going to be closed on Sunday? The night, or the day?

I'm going to a tournement friday night, but I'll be able to do it Saturday afternoon, and Sunday (day) if it closes at night. (Its and Innsomnia biweekly, so ill be tired when I get back)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Sorry

f8al, your star craft userbar has a typo.

Oh, I never realized that! Oh well as long as you can read it it's fine.
And another thing, I cannot participate inside this debate tournament because of school work so I will leave the 'temporary debator' group.
I have to work really hard on my school work nowadays (math, accounting etc.) and it takes up basically my whole afternoon and evening even after school!
So I'll still see you guys on the other parts of this forum.

D

Deleted member

Alright then, good luck, AND COME TO THE MONTREAL TOURNAMENT

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Ehh I've got some issues, Monday and tuesday aren't going to work for me, is there anyway we can do this Sunday night at ar ound 8:30 central time. I'm extremely busy the rest of the week, if it comes to it I will drop out, but Sunday Night, and possibly Saturday if you have time.

Already starting trash talk eh lol. JK JK. As others said before, it's not really what side you're on, it's really about how you present your side.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Ehh I've got some issues, Monday and tuesday aren't going to work for me, is there anyway we can do this Sunday night at ar ound 8:30 central time. I'm extremely busy the rest of the week, if it comes to it I will drop out, but Sunday Night, and possibly Saturday if you have time.

Already starting trash talk eh lol. JK JK. As others said before, it's not really what side you're on, it's really about how you present your side.
Err...

I doubt that we can do an entire debate in one night...and I can't do Saturday AT ALL, got a Science competition AND a John Williams concert as I mentioned before, so I'll be gone all day and night. I could do Sunday afternoon and evening plus the entire week after. You're sure Monday and Tuesday wouldn't work for you? Like, you won't be even close to a comp or you just wouldn't have very much time? I'd think that you could just post and then go back to whatever you were doing. If you can't I guess we MIGHT be able to delay all the way till Wednesday, which is crazy, but if we're forced to that might be the only way.

Trash talk? I think my post was TOTALLY misinterpreted. XD I was talking about the arguments I had set up, not to mention the evidence I had ready. The side doesn't matter, if you somehow come up with a new argument for the US being considered a Christian country then I'll probably lose. Unless I really get my debate on, which I hope I do. It's all up to the debaters to rep their sides and crush the opposition. OK, I hope that cleared things up from my last post.

Tera253

Smash Ace
so, when does it start for me? (yes, this will be the one place besides Wish corruptor where Tera will use 1st person)

~Tera253~

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
A. This is why it took so long for the tournament to come to fruition. We have so many conflicting schedules to take into mind.
B. It doesn't matter WHEN you debate is. It will take place 3 days (Friday - Sunday, or some variant) and must be completed by Next THURSDAY for us to the brackets. So, start scheduling now and PM Evil Eye, Mediocre, or myself to get your times and all.
C. Tera - Good.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
mmk, since there's been no answer to the postponement issues, I'm guessing it's ok for us to move them so long as both debaters have agreed?

Marthmaster - our debate needs to be moved to next week. Sorry if that causes you any trouble, but I have conferences all through the weekend ending on Sunday.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
Marthmaster - our debate needs to be moved to next week. Sorry if that causes you any trouble, but I have conferences all through the weekend ending on Sunday.
ahhh, businessman eh? but yeah, i have a feeling you'll win the debate. i don't have any info or anything, and i'm going to be really busy so i won't be able to look. guess i'll have to use the info in my head already....which isn't much.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
It seems every one needs a delay on the debate. Why not just push it to early next week?
I work two jobs now and I have school. Also, next weekend EE will not be here again so there won't be any scores that weekend. If this is too much, I have no problem canceling it until you guys can actually commit to it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I'll be discussing with EE the fate of the tournament and I'll give a decision today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom