• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DWYP 1 Archieves ( Merged )

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm gunnin' for you, Tera253.

Watch yo'self, 'specially at night.

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
I'm going to have to ask for a postponement. I have had very little time this week between work, smash, working on a C-vid and updating the IC finder/my metagame article. I'll need the weekend to research, and on Monday I will be ready or I will forfeit. I don't want to hold this thing up.

Delphiki read the above post. We moved the debate to Monday just for you. You said you'd be ready, Why are you dropping out?!

By the way, there will be prizes so get your game on.

A PM will be going out to all participants. If you cannot make the debate reply ASAP. If you do drop out tell me why and I'll tell you why not. Delphiki, you are debating tomorrow whether you like it or not. I've looked foward too much to see you debate for you to just drop out.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Is there any possible way me and my partner could debate ours tonight, I'm busy the rest of the week, and if necessary I can try to fit it on monday, but is it alright if we just do it tonight.

Duke

[DWYP1.1] - Zephyr vs. lonejedi - Which religion should the US be considered?

This a thread for Debate With Your Power. If your screen name is not Lonejedi or Zephyr (Or me, for this first post) then you are to not post in this thread.

You two are debating which religion should be the official religion of the United States of America. This debate will end on Tuesday, February 13th at 2:15 PM.

Lonejedi will start with the first argument, Zephyr will then give a rebuke and the debating will ensue. Keep the first post rather broad and all ecompassing so that there is a basis for the debate.

Get it on!

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Yay?

I'm just posting so my User CP will notify me when LoneJedi posts. Please don't kill me.

EDIT: Like that did a fat load of good.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Intro

“ God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” –Constitutional Convention of 1787 Benjaman Frankin

Benjamin Franklin, known for his famed electrical kite experiment, being on the 100 dollar bill, and most importantly one of the key founders of this country, believed that this nation should be founded on Christian beliefs, even going as far as to say that we would be like the biblical people of Babel, who tried to build their own way, without God.

James Madison, the countries 4th president even used scripture for the basis as 1 of our 3 offices of Government, the Supreme Court.

“For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver,
the LORD is our king;
He will save us.”

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
And Finally one last quote

“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.”

George Washington [speech to the Delaware Indian Chiefs May 12, 1779]

Our first president believed in Christianity taught in schools.

(All of the above were taken from http://www.eadshome.com/QuotesoftheFounders.htm)

Now to my main argument. America is a Christian Nation, no matter how you look at it. That is not to say that others cannot practice their beliefs, no that would then turn America into a Dictatorship, or Communism, in which one must follow one religion. When I say Christian I mean, for the most part, those who in live in the U.S. are followers of Jesus, Christ, Yaweh, and all other names of God.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
For example, look at Israel. If someone would ask you, what religion would Israel be considered, the first thing that would pop into most minds is Jewish, since this was the land of the Bibical Time Jews. Yet living in Israel, you have Muslims, Christians, and other smaller groups, but Israel is still considered a Jewish Nation. They have the right to worship how they please.

This same goes America, the % of Christians in America ranges from 82%, 84%, to 79%, all indicating that the majority of Americans believe in some form of Christianity. After this you have Athiests, and then Muslims, and so on. America is a Land Free Worship, meaning we can worship however we please, but if we were to be considered a religion, it would be Christianity.

http://www.migrationworldwide.com/unitedstates.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States
http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
I actually might be able to make it. I dunnow. I'll participate, but I might not be nearly as good as I normally would be due to being busy and sick and blah blah blah...

Tera253

Smash Ace
I'm gunnin' for you, Tera253.

Watch yo'self, 'specially at night.
trust Tera on this one: (will talk in 1st person in the ACTUAL DEBATE) she's paranoid enough at night to go berserk on a book if it fall on the floor. she's not afraid to do the same to you.
Gay marriage= no no.

anyways.....

so, question for the 1st post in this thread:
if it says: person A vs. person B, does that mean person A goes first?
~Tera253~

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry to hear it Delphiki. Well, I announced my delcination(?) a while ago, but I decided to come back before I even read this. I was just so busy, but now I've found that it hasn't even started, so I have decided to participate. Just don't expect me to do great on the first round xo. I have very little research. Maybe Delphiki and I can debate, seeing as we have very little research, so neither of us has a rather large advantage...Also, since Delphiki is debating no matter what, does that mean I win by default if he doesn't post? Or.....hmm....Delphiki, if you do decide to debate, I wont mind either way. I wont have many sources or study material, so you have a *decent* chance of defeating me. Not that my stance wont change....well, it'd be pretty hard to convince me otherwise...anyways, I'll see you tomorrow Delphiki! I'll be a little late, school and such. Might get a couple of posts in the morning.

Good luck to every one and may the best debater win.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Sure. I am trying to arrange a new massive project with McFox right now anyway. I will be making a new Official Everything Thread and I have sent a new proposal to make it even better. So I will busy as well. I just didn't want to bother CK and EE with rescheduling so I didn't say anything but if you need to reschedule as well then I am fine with it.

D

Deleted member

It's boggling my mind that Duke somehow is helping run a part of the Debate Hall...anyway. Funny though. People change.

This tournament should be called Conservatives vs The World

Zephyr

Smash Lord
While it is true that some principles laid down in our country’s Constitution are based on those principles which Christians follow, these principles are not considered to be good values by only Christians. Go to any right-thinking man and ask him if it is good for everyone to have freedom of religion, and no matter what religion he is of, he will answer, “Yes.”

It is also true that the Founding Fathers were geniuses in that instead of pretending to be geniuses and coming up with their own form of government, they went and stole ideas from millennia beforehand, from the time of the Greeks. Greece was the world’s first major democracy, and their structure of Polis, which when literally translated means “city-state”, was incredibly successful. The Founding Fathers saw this as potentially useful in their new government, so they implemented it. They saw the success of the Senate in Rome and utilized that idea as well. Then they used the three-bodied government structure of the British, this time allowing for a system of checks and balances that would prevent any one branch from gaining dominance over the others.

Another important factor is the idea of the separation of church and state. This has been fought over ever since the founding of the church by John Peter. Your quotes from the Fathers imply that they believe in Christian values and that they should be believed by all who dwell in America, but that it was vitally important for the Church not to gain too much power. They had learned from history that a country’s actions based on a religious belief was essentially dangerous and had to be prevented. See the crusades.

About your use of Israel as an example, that country was founded as a haven for the Jewish people after World War II due to their persecution, and is vigorously defended today as such by us, a controversial topic in and of itself.

It only makes sense that a country considered to be Christian, and a democracy no less, should follow Christian values in its actions. But the United States’ actions during the World Wars could hardly be considered Christian. And I’m not talking about when we were in the European and Japanese Theatres; I’m talking about the selling of weapons, ammunition, and all sorts of war materials we sold to both sides of the war before joining the fight. Both times. We reaped huge profits from these sales despite the fact that they supported German war efforts. We didn’t care. Who cared where the money was coming from as long as we had it?

http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/tassava.WWII

The United States’ actions have always historically secular and in the best interests of its people, not its peoples’ religion.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
While it is true that some principles laid down in our country’s Constitution are based on those principles which Christians follow, these principles are not considered to be good values by only Christians. Go to any right-thinking man and ask him if it is good for everyone to have freedom of religion, and no matter what religion he is of, he will answer, “Yes.”
True, but go to the majority of those who live in this country, and ask them what religion we would be most considered, and the majority would answer Christianity.

It is also true that the Founding Fathers were geniuses in that instead of pretending to be geniuses and coming up with their own form of government, they went and stole ideas from millennia beforehand, from the time of the Greeks. Greece was the world’s first major democracy, and their structure of Polis, which when literally translated means “city-state”, was incredibly successful. The Founding Fathers saw this as potentially useful in their new government, so they implemented it. They saw the success of the Senate in Rome and utilized that idea as well. Then they used the three-bodied government structure of the British, this time allowing for a system of checks and balances that would prevent any one branch from gaining dominance over the others.
I'll use this quote from the Mayflower compact, taken from my previous quotes website
The Mayflower Compact (authored by William Bradford) 1620 | Signing of the Mayflower painting | Picture of Compact
“Having undertaken, for the glory of God, and advancement of the Christian faith, and honor of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly and mutually, in the presence of God, and one of another, covenant and combine our selves together…”

One of the main reasons of the Pilgrims coming to America, the real grass roots founders of this country, was the advancement of their belief in Christ. They believed in freedom of religion, but they also believed in Jesus Christ.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Another important factor is the idea of the separation of church and state. This has been fought over ever since the founding of the church by John Peter. Your quotes from the Fathers imply that they believe in Christian values and that they should be believed by all who dwell in America, but that it was vitally important for the Church not to gain too much power. They had learned from history that a country’s actions based on a religious belief was essentially dangerous and had to be prevented. See the crusades.

As you have said before, this is one of the most debatable issues of our country, some feel that this was to prohibit Christianity from taking over our government, while Christians believe that this was for Government not to take over Christianity.

About your use of Israel as an example, that country was founded as a haven for the Jewish people after World War II due to their persecution, and is vigorously defended today as such by us, a controversial topic in and of itself.
Ok..... sorry, I just couldn't find any relevance to the subject.

It only makes sense that a country considered to be Christian, and a democracy no less, should follow Christian values in its actions. But the United States’ actions during the World Wars could hardly be considered Christian. And I’m not talking about when we were in the European and Japanese Theatres; I’m talking about the selling of weapons, ammunition, and all sorts of war materials we sold to both sides of the war before joining the fight. Both times. We reaped huge profits from these sales despite the fact that they supported German war efforts. We didn’t care. Who cared where the money was coming from as long as we had it?

http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/tassava.WWII

The United States’ actions have always historically secular and in the best interests of its people, not its peoples’ religion.
But you can use the same analogy for a country like Iraq. A completly Muslim country, a few people who took over, who were muslim extrmemists, and were a very very small % of the Muslim culture made decisions for the country, that would very radical, and looked down upon by most muslims, but the country itself is still a muslim country.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
It's boggling my mind that Duke somehow is helping run a part of the Debate Hall...anyway. Funny though. People change.

This tournament should be called Conservatives vs The World
I wouldn't say that if I were you, some liberal might take it the wrong way :laugh: :laugh: :(

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I'll use this quote from the Mayflower compact, taken from my previous quotes website
The Mayflower Compact (authored by William Bradford) 1620 | Signing of the Mayflower painting | Picture of Compact
“Having undertaken, for the glory of God, and advancement of the Christian faith, and honor of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first colony in the northern parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly and mutually, in the presence of God, and one of another, covenant and combine our selves together…”

One of the main reasons of the Pilgrims coming to America, the real grass roots founders of this country, was the advancement of their belief in Christ. They believed in freedom of religion, but they also believed in Jesus Christ.
You're talking about the Pilgrims, not the Founders. The Colonies and the United States were two different entities. Also, their beliefs were handed down through generation, but the Founders of the US also encouraged free thinking, which could have come from the influence of their own backgrounds.

As you have said before, this is one of the most debatable issues of our country, some feel that this was to prohibit Christianity from taking over our government, while Christians believe that this was for Government not to take over Christianity.
No they do not. Please stop generalizing the beliefs of Christian people, as they are very diverse. I believe that the seperation of church and state was done to prevent the Church from gaining too much power instead of the inverse since the Church has predominantly been in control of the state where it has had political power.

Ok..... sorry, I just couldn't find any relevance to the subject.
I apologize, I must not have made myself clear. I was referring to the fact that Israel was founded with an emphasis on being a Jewish state, whereas the US was founded as a secular state. To avoid confusion, let's go over the definition of secularity in terms of state affairs:

"A secular state protects freedom of religion and freedom from religion, as pursued in state secularism. It is also described to be a state that prevents religion from interfering with state affairs, and prevents religion from controlling government or exercising political power. Laws protect each individual including religious minorities from discrimination on the basis of religion."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_state

But you can use the same analogy for a country like Iraq. A completly Muslim country, a few people who took over, who were muslim extrmemists, and were a very very small % of the Muslim culture made decisions for the country, that would very radical, and looked down upon by most muslims, but the country itself is still a muslim country.
Actually, you can't use that analogy because the Christian population of the US supported the sales of these goods because it brought food and warmth back to their homes. How could they not? They were in the middle of the Depression. The general population of the US supported its government throughout the war. Such is not the case with Iraq.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
Actually, well, of people talking a lot, I have seen many more conservatives than any other group. Many don't partake in politics or are kinda liberal. There are more hardcore conservatives than lefties here. No offense to either side :).

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
for time purposes, I'm not going to do a full quote, but you'll know where he posted.

You're talking about the Pilgrims, not the Founders. The Colonies and the United States were two different entities. Also, their beliefs were handed down through generation, but the Founders of the US also encouraged free thinking, which could have come from the influence of their own backgrounds.

But these were the same people that were the corner stone of the nation. Their children would continue to raise their children and so on.

No they do not. Please stop generalizing the beliefs of Christian people, as they are very diverse. I believe that the seperation of church and state was done to prevent the Church from gaining too much power instead of the inverse since the Church has predominantly been in control of the state where it has had political power.

Sorry, many christians believe this, should have been correct with my words.

I apologize, I must not have made myself clear. I was referring to the fact that Israel was founded with an emphasis on being a Jewish state, whereas the US was founded as a secular state. To avoid confusion, let's go over the definition of secularity in terms of state affairs:

"A secular state protects freedom of religion and freedom from religion, as pursued in state secularism. It is also described to be a state that prevents religion from interfering with state affairs, and prevents religion from controlling government or exercising political power. Laws protect each individual including religious minorities from discrimination on the basis of religion."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_state

But that is just one e xample, there are many other countries that are the same way. They are considered one religion, but are open to many, and are free of worship, yet they are still considered officially one religon.

Actually, you can't use that analogy because the Christian population of the US supported the sales of these goods because it brought food and warmth back to their homes. How could they not? They were in the middle of the Depression. The general population of the US supported its government throughout the war. Such is not the case with Iraq.

You can't just assume that the whole Christian population supported, thats going out on a limb there.

Well this is it for me, I'm busy the rest of the week, so whatever happens happens. GL to all

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Actually, well, of people talking a lot, I have seen many more conservatives than any other group. Many don't partake in politics or are kinda liberal. There are more hardcore conservatives than lefties here. No offense to either side :).
The reason people think there are no conservatives on SWF is because they have an extremely skewed view of Conservatism as some sort of Bible-thumping zealotry.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I changed the prizes a bit.

There are only 3 spots for admissions. EE, Mediocre, and myself each choose one no matter the place in scores.

ti83pop

Smash Journeyman
True. Hmm...I'm getting excited, but I know I won't win. I'm more of a...speak from the heart kinda person, not so much a find rescources and such. Also, if my partner can't make it, I would like a new subject, I'm beginning to realize the studdying I would have to do on this one ^^; Mostly cause I'm busy. Also, I sound more intelligent in person :-\ . Oh well.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
for time purposes, I'm not going to do a full quote, but you'll know where he posted.

But these were the same people that were the corner stone of the nation. Their children would continue to raise their children and so on.

But that is just one example, there are many other countries that are the same way. They are considered one religion, but are open to many, and are free of worship, yet they are still considered officially one religon.

You can't just assume that the whole Christian population supported, thats going out on a limb there.

Well this is it for me, I'm busy the rest of the week, so whatever happens happens. GL to all
I'll just go in order of paragraph then make a closing statement.

- However, many others migrated to the US after the Pilgrims. While they may have been the first to come here, they were most certainly not the last, and they were a small percentage of those that followed. I wonder, how many of the Founding Fathers were descended from the Pilgrims? My guess would be: Not all that many. The population was just too diverse for the circumstances you are describing.

- Those countries are not the United States. The circumstances of our country are unique and cannot be compared to others whose foundations come from roots of a different nature.

- I didn't mean to imply that all Christians in that era supported the actions of the government. My emphasis was on the lower part of the paragraph, the part that mentioned the "general population" of the US, since that is who it concerned.

From time immemorial, the actions of our country have been colored as what is right instead of what is Christian. For some, including me, those are the same thing. However, the viewpoints of others must also be considered, including those outside the country. If you look at the US from the inside, you would most likely see it as a Christian country. But if you looked at it from the perspective of the world (frankly, this is more important), one would see it as a secular country due to its actions. Christianity makes up about one third of the world's population. I won't post the URL to the site I found that on as it stretches the page WAY too much, but it's a commonly known fact. If you saw with the eyes of the world, two thirds non Christian and one third Christian, one would be forced to conclude that the United States of America are a secular country.

GG.

Duke

[DWYP1.1] - Scav vs. Digital Watches - What is the right political party for the US?

This a thread for Debate With Your Power. If your screen name is not Scav or Digital Watches (Or me, for this first post) then you are to not post in this thread.

You two are debating over what political party the US needs right now. This debate will start at midnight and go for 72 hours. (Pacific Standard Time)

Digital Watches will start with the first argument, Scav will then give a rebuke and the debating will ensue. Keep the first post rather broad and all ecompassing so that there is a basis for the debate.

Get it on!

Duke

[DWYP1.1] - Sizzle vs. psicicle - Evolution vs. Creationism

This a thread for Debate With Your Power. If your screen name is not Sizzle or psicicle (Or me, for this first post) then you are to not post in this thread.

You two are debating on which concept, Evolution or Creationism, is correct. This debate starts at midnight and will end in 72 hours. (Pacific Standard Time)

psicicle will start with the first argument, Sizzle will then give a rebuke and the debating will ensue. Keep the first post rather broad and all ecompassing so that there is a basis for the debate.

Get it on!

Duke

[DWYP1.1] - Eorlingas vs. ti83pop- Is it right for the US to go to Iraq?

This a thread for Debate With Your Power. If your screen name is not Eorlingas or
ti83pop then you are to not post in this thread.

You two are debating about whether the US going to Iraq was justified. This debate starts at midnight and will go for 72 hours. (Pacific Standard Time)

ti83pop will start with the first argument, Eorlingas will then give a rebuke and the debating will ensue. Keep the first post rather broad and all ecompassing so that there is a basis for the debate.

Get it on!

Duke

[DWYP1.1] - Riciardos vs. FiErCe_oNi - Same sex adoption

This a thread for Debate With Your Power. If your screen name is not Riciardos or FiErCe_oNi (Or me, for this first post) then you are to not post in this thread.

You two are debating whether it is right for same sex couples to adopt. This debate will start at midnight and go for 72 hours. (Pacific Standard Time)

Riciardos will start with the first argument, FiErCe_oNi will then give a rebuke and the debating will ensue. Keep the first post rather broad and all ecompassing so that there is a basis for the debate.

Get it on!

Duke

[DWYP1.1] - DeLoRtEd1 vs. DaRkNeSsOfHeArT - Gay Marriage

This a thread for Debate With Your Power. If your screen name is not DeLoRtEd1 or DaRkNeSsOfHeArT (Or me, for this first post) then you are to not post in this thread.

You two are debating whether it is ok for homosexual couples to get married. This debate will start at midnight and will go for 72 hours. (Pacific Standard Time)

DaRkNeSsOfHeArT will start with the first argument, DeLoRtEd1 will then give a rebuke and the debating will ensue. Keep the first post rather broad and all ecompassing so that there is a basis for the debate.

Get it on!

Duke

[DWYP1.1] - sheepyman vs. Tera253 - Gay Marriage

This a thread for Debate With Your Power. If your screen name is not sheepyman or Tera253 (Or me, for this first post) then you are to not post in this thread.

You two are debating whether it is ok for homosexual couples to get married. This debate will start at midnight and will go for 72 hours. (Pacific Standard Time)

Sheepyman will start with the first argument, Tera253 will then give a rebuke and the debating will ensue. Keep the first post rather broad and all ecompassing so that there is a basis for the debate.

Get it on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom