• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DWYP 1 Archieves ( Merged )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Alright, since the sticky topic is not being read evidently except that non-debaters can post, I'll make this to start the contest officially.

Friday, I'll make the official topic for sign-ups. Until then, Temp Debaters must identify themselves in here, give their political, religious, whatever affiliation. Since this is now an open topic, ANY non-Debate Hall members posting outside this topic until this weekend will be banned from the tournament and the room. The point of this was to give the Debate Hall a chance to show what the members of it can do, adding outside members was not a requirement, but a privilege. Don't exploit it.

Now that's out the way, Temp Debaters introduce yourselves. Current Debaters, enjoy the fresh meat. Haha.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
I'll start then.

Name: Destruction_King
Political views: Slightly to the right, but pretty moderate overall.
Religious: For the Most part, Athiest.
Music: Metal= good. Rap= bad.

Kirye

Smash Ace
Name: Kirye, or Erick, whatever you wanna call me.

Political view: On what topic? Most things political could be called corrupt or morally wrong these days, we get a new president in a year though, cause for celebration?

Religious: In official terms, i'd be considered Atheist, but I see it more as I just don't care about my religion to make it part of my daily life, but I won't make it a hassle to say "Oh, I don't believe in God, i'm atheist for X reason."

Music: I'll listen to almost anything. Not a fan of rap however, but if the silence is right i'll listen to it and probably not notice what's going on anyway.

Now, outside of plagiarizing off DK, I guess i'll somewhat introduce myself.

Hey everyone, my name is Erick Ochoa. I joined SmashBoards about 2-3 months ago in an attempt to escape boredom, didn't work very well, but I stayed here anyway, joy. I live in San Diego, California, and have lived here for 9 years, used to live in Guadalajara, Mexico. As you probably already guessed, i'm of a Mexican ethnicity, or to be more specific, i'm half Filipino, half Mexican. I go to the Art Institute of Califonia, first year there, and i'm studying to become a Cartoon artist, or Graphical Designer.

My favorite hobbies are playing Smash, drawing, being a happy conformist at MySpace, and of course debating. Hope i'll get to know some of you here a little better in this 'competition', and I also hope I can be at least a challenge of sorts.

*I realize this entire description part past my music likes was pointless, but life goes on.*

EDIT: Unfortunately, i'm out of the debate for this time. Maybe next time. I'll go edit my other post at the registration as well.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Name: Marthsword
Political: All the way liberal, but what topic are you referring to?
Religion: Christian, though I don't go to church. One of the reasons is that I have much different views than all the churches in my area.
Music: Classic rock (Beatles, Stones, Doors) Indie Rock (The Strokes, TV on the radio, Bloc Party)

I'd like to meet the other temporary debaters.

For an introduction I am a 13 year old boy, I aspire to possibly become a writer, or a musician (I play bass.,) or a something having to do with computers. My parents are both writers, one of them very well known. I don't want to follow in his footspeps, its either feast or famine. He and the other successful novelists got lucky. I love animals, I own 5 cats, and 2 pigs.

My hobbies are flash, (I Create flash games in my free time) track, my pets, and more. I am currently using macromedia dreamweaver to create my first website, though it is hard, I may be able to pull it off. (Gideon did it at my age.)

How's that?

kaid

Smash Master
Screenname: Kaid
Political: Loosly Green, (blue in presidential races)
Religious: Atheist. Religion historically had several health benifits (for example, the Kosher list of Jews was a list of safe foods to eat.) but in an era of medicare and automatic weaponry, Fanaticim is more dangerous than reason, and science is more effective than faith.
Music: Trance.

Dibs

Smash Lord
Screenname: Dibs
Political: I take parts that I agree with off of each candidate/party.
Religious: I'm pretty open minded to most religions although I'm Catholic. I don't practice it much anyways.
Music: I don't even know how music fits this, but I listen to Rock/HipHop/Rnb.

Now here's the introduction. On these boards I go by Dibs and I will remain that way. I'm 18 years of age. I'm Freshman in college majoring in Graphic Design. My spare time is filled with photoshop doodles, illegal mp3 downloading, and guitar practice.

On SWF I'm pretty sure I have a reputation that I am a brain-dead humor poster with only one line of things to say. But this is the debate hall so it won't be just simple one liners for me anymore. At least not in this room.

I think that's enough for now. I look forward to debating with you guys.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
DWYP: The Lowdown

Okay kids, here's how it goes.

Soon, Eric and I will have a topic filled with issues that you can take your for or against position on. You will select one issue, and then a few backups if you wish, in order of desire.

Once we decide who's takin' whom on, a topic will appear that says something like [DWYP] (Your Name) vs (Opponent)

From there, whoever takes the For position will make their opening remarks. You two will have two days--usually a weekend--to go tit for tat, and then the topic will be closed and judged. Do not post in any threads while your debate is being judged, with some exceptions (like Eric's little DWYPer Lounge).

Medi, Eric, and I will spend some time *****ing to each other. Eventually a winner will be declared. The loser is out.

This will move on with the other debates, then all the winners advance. It narrows down to the top of the pyramid, and then you guys'll be going at it for serious glory!

The Bling

Yarr, ye booty be great iffins ye can please thar beast! Arr.

Ye Firsteth Place

A one year Premium Membership. Admission to Debaters group.

Ye Crap Prize (2nd Place)

A six month Premium Membership. Admission to Debaters group.

Ye Honorable Mention, Yarr (3rd Place)

A three month Premium Membership. Admission to Debaters group.

Remember some rules, guys.

1) Don't post in non-DWYP topics.

2) Don't post in someone else's debate.

Most importantly of all...

3) Debate with your power!

-I

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I would've liked to see special titles, or special colors. Is it possible these things will be implemented in the future? All a current Debater is getting is the ridding of ads. That's not much recognition. Think of this: the reward for our intellect and rhetoric can be more easily earned with money.

I bet that twenty others will ask these questions. Let's hope not.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
You get the ability to change your avatar and title on the fly with Premieship, you know.

As for special colors... hmmmm. I'll think about it. I'm intrigued, that's for certain.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Name: F8AL
Political: I'm moving towards the Conservatives.
Religion: Christian, I go to Church sometimes.
Music: I'm currently listening to heavy metal music. I do enjoy pop music sometimes and punk. I do not like Rap music through.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Does the “Topic evaluation” criteria follow the “Admission essay” standards ? Or will new rules be added to approximate correctly the winner ?

To everybody, good luck and have fun :)

EDIT: Agree, pink was too good...

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
Name: Marthmaster92
religion: Christian, i go to my church whenever the doors are open.
music: video game music. nothing wrong with that. i don't like rap or heavy metal.
i'm a 14-year-old guy, who in his spare time updates my site, and does graphic design. I also enjoy video games a lot. favourite game? super smash brothers melee. if there is any video game debate topics, i'll be there if i can!

not a lot, but there isn't much to know about me really.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
Name: Sargent Peach or just Sarg.

Religion: I believe in God and in Jesus, but not all of christian teachings.

Politics: Republican, my dad is military, but I usually just go with the "man" with the best character. (when I say man, I mean man, anti-Hillary Clinton) Women are fine in Politics, I just don't think they, or the US is ready for a Women in the White House. I'm also Pro-Choice. (I know that is not Republican)

Music-Rap, Hip-Hop, R&B, Oldies, Rock, pretty much everything except Heavy Metal and Emo stuff.

Myself- 19 and a freshman in college majoring in History. (for Law purposes) I love smash and I main Peach.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Name: Ferro De Lupe (De Lupe for short)

Politics: Niether, I hate politics.
Religion: Believer of all, follower of none.
Music: Country mainly
Location: Smack-dab in the middle of Oklahoma. (Yes, I am a redneck!)
Pros: People who... Love games, don't follow the "in" crowd, are creative and imaginative, are funny, know how to have a good time without getting alcohol and/or drugs involved.
Cons: Stereotpyes, running, manual labor, drugs and alcohol, hot summer days, "txt" typers.
Favorite Characters: Sonic, Bowser, Luigi, Midna, HK-47

Greetings and salutations, My name is De Lupe. A couple of the applicants have seen me post every here and there *looks at DK* and know that I can hold my own. Given the right topic, I can debate fore hours (and I have.) Unfortunately for me, the right topic doesn't come along very often, so I'm expecting to be eliminated fairly early. But, who knows, I might get lucky. Anyways, I plan on sticking around until I'm out. That's about all I have time for right now as I'm kind of in a hurry. Later.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Name: Demoncaterpie
Politics: Have my views, but I don't belong to a particular group.
Religion: Respect it, but don't participate in it.
Music: Pretty much anything, though I especially like Classic Rock and Prog Rock.

I'm pretty much your average artist trying to make his mark in the world of literature and film making. I believe that the power to debate is one of the most important abilities to have. It will help you in your career, no matter what you want to be. Scientist? Argue over a discovery. Football Player? Argue over not using steroids. It really doesn't matter.

I believe that I'm a good debater, though I have never participated in an official one. But, I'm pretty open with my beliefs and will give the benefit of the doubt to the opponent if I believe that he makes a strong case. The point of a debate isn't to see who can stick to there beliefs the best, it's about changing people's minds and getting people to follow a path that you think is "the right path." If someone says something that I believe is really good, then I'll follow them. I'm not afraid to change my mind.

But, if someone believes something that I think is stupid, and they provide no convincing evidence to show me other wise, then I will do whatever it takes to make sure that they see the error of there ways.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
If a color can't be earned, how about an icon (kind of how BRoomers have a Grimer, Writers have a quill, and Premies have a mushroom). Maybe a notesheet or pen or something...

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Name: Sizzle
Politics: Conservative
Religion: Christian
Music: Rock, Techno

I'm a 17 year old senior in high school. I have been raised in a conservative home and hope to bring, what seems to be, the "underdog" side of the debate.

Jake13

Smash Lord
Name: If you can't tell by the user name you really have no reason to talk to me.
Politics: Are pointless to argue about.
Religion: Belive in God, don't know in what religious form though. I guess that would qualify as agnostic.
Music: Lo-Fi/Underground Hip-Hop preferably, though I can go with just about anything except hxc bull**** and country.

I'm a sixteen year old Junior at Westside High School in Houston, Texas. I don't apply myself in school and have a serious chance of failing. I've never gotten more than one question wrong on any state administered test, ever (Stanford/TAKS, etc.).

I'm part of the Theatre company at my school and am a member of the National Thespian Society. So yes, I love acting.

That is all.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The biggest problem with adding that is that A. We'd have to create a separate groups for the winners with a different color, B. The postbit is pretty cluttered.

Yea, ALL of the Debate Hall members are allowed, as well as SWF under the Temp Debators.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Wow, the turn out for this is looking very nice. We've already signed up 13 people that are Temps. Can't wait to see how many more sign up. We could actually hit 32 non debaters in this. nice.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Ok, I'll just get the formal stuff out of the way.

Name: JTB (original name was Jake the boy)
Politics: I don't follow any specific party.
Religion: I don't follow any religion, but if I would have to choose, I would say Deism.
Music: Rock, Orchestral, Video Game, Broadway (yep, I like alot of different music)

Ok, I am known at JTB or Jake the boy to the smash community. I'm currently a first year Computer Science major at University of California Riverside (Socal), and I want to eventually be involved in game programming. Anyways, one thing I enjoy to do with my roommate is debate over things, although most of the time they are random subjects. So, I'm really looking forward to this competition, and hoping I will present myself as a valid debater to this part of the board.

:laugh:

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Likewise.

Dunno if I'm still on the panel or anything, but we'll see. Hopefully these topics will be great for debate. :D
Um, I was kinda kidding. You really can't be judging the contest and participating in it at the same time.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Xsyven, the round depends on the number of entrants, but it will most likely be a 16-person tournament. That would be four rounds for single elimination. Is it single or double elim?

I agree with a special color, but I even more like the idea of a special icon. I like any idea which will be completely exclusive to the winners of the tournament, and which cannot be bought with money or any material gain. A premium membership doesn't do that by itself.

And I had forgotten that Premium Membership allows you to change your title/avatar. Thanks.

You know.. now that the Debate Hall's got some life back in it I hope we have rep back soon. And I want it started fresh too so the BRoomers don't get what they didn't earn. lol

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The panel has served its purpose and I thank them greatly. Now the people who do the leg work are Mediocre, EE, and myself.

By the way, guys we need to pick some topics by Friday. PM your ideas. (Med and EE)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Update: I am posting the official sign-ups tonight. I want this all done by Friday Night, so I can make it final as of Saturday. This will give you guys a full week for research, websites, books, whatever. So read that topic in a few moments.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Debate With Your Power 2007 Sign-Up

Here's how this will work:

If you wish to sign up for the contest simply post with a list of topics you want (5 max) and the side you want. Keep in mind, if there are 10 Pro-choice, and 0 pro-life, I will pick and chose randomly who gets what. Saturday or Sunday at the latest we will have the schedule up on who is facing who, etc. So any questions should go in the discussion topic, let's keep this solely for sign ups. If necessary, I will post summaries in the lounge per request.

NOTE: We will give you the topics based on the order listed. If one of under filled (one person) we may move you to your second or third topic as listed. Make it easy on us, guys.

Debate Topics:
War
  1. Iraqi Stability as Affected by the War in Iraq
  2. Was the US Right in going to Iraq?
  3. Was the execution of Saddam Hussein just?
  4. Should Canada Pack Up and Go Home?
  5. Was Operation Iraqi Freedom a Success?

Government
  1. Should the government continue welfare, public school, social security, and Medicare?
  2. Is the Constitution too flexible?
  3. Electoral College vs One Person, One Vote
  4. Has Big Business turned the US to Big Government -Regulations, Restrictions, etc.
  5. What political party America needs right now?

Religion
  1. Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice
  2. Evolution vs. Creationism
  3. Prayer in Public Schools
  4. Which religion should the US be considered?
  5. Bible vs History

Social Issues
  1. Immigration: Should US have Open Borders
  2. Gay marriage: Should it be Legal
  3. Genetic Engineering: For or Against (Cloning Included)
  4. Capital Punishment: For or Against
  5. Same-Sex Parent Adoption

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Sign me up. Choices:

Immigration: Should US have Open Boarders - No
Prayer in Public Schools - Against
Gay marriage: Should it be Legal - Yes
What political party America needs right now? - Republican
Genetic Engineering: For or Against (Cloning Included) - Against

If you feel as though I should debate in another topic then I won't mind.

Of the five, my debate would probably be stronger with the immigration issue since I am more knowledgeable in that field then the other four. Just tossing that out there if you needed to know.

CRIMSON EDIT: Just put them in the order you want them. It'll be much easier this way.

Kenny Edit: There, I placed them in order.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Was the execution of Saddam Hussein just? No
Immigration: Should US have Open Boarders Yes
Gay marriage: Should it be Legal Yes
Genetic Engineering: For or Against (Cloning Included) Against
Capital Punishment: For or Against Against

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom