• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DWYP 1 Archieves ( Merged )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Was the US right in going to Iraq? For
Genetic Engineering For
Electoral College vs One Person For electoral colllege

I may add more later, but just these for now.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Immigration: Should US have Open Borders: Moderately For Open Borders. Fifth Choice.

Is the Constitution too flexible?: Clarification question: This could be taken to mean wildly different things, so could it please be clarified? Does it imply that the constitution is too flexible in the sense that it's being interpreted too flexibly, or that the document's laws should be more clear? If the former, I'm heavily for adhering strictly to the constitution until it's amended, and would be willing to debate that. First choice, if that's the case.

Capital Punishment: For with certain caviats. Fourth choice.

Which religion should the US be considered?: Arguing on the side of "Secular State." Second Choice.

What political party needs right now?: A new one. Third choice.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
What should we do if for example, for the death penalty we say "For, but under certain circumstances only."

Are we allowed to take a middle stance in these debates? I'll keep my opinions to myself for now.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Heres my picks, in order:

1. Should the government continue welfare, public school, social security, and Medicare? Continue
2. Immigration: Should US have Open Borders? Open Borders
3. Bible vs History? History
4. Gay Marriage: Should it be legal? Legal
5. Capital Punishment: For or Against? For

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Great, there are no topics of interest for me... Figures...

Well, with no topics that I can debate with any kind of accuracy, I hereby withdraw from the running. I might stick around and watch the debates, but I won't be participating. You can kick me out of the Debate Hall if you want.

Nice meeting you guys. Later...

marthsword

Smash Ace
Gay Marriage: Definitely Legal
What political party needs right now? Democrats
Was the execution of Saddam hussein just? No
Same sex parent adoption: Yes

cF=)

Smash Lord
What political party America needs right now? --> America is not one single country, USA is.

Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice : Pro-Life (only for this debate)
Prayer in Public Schools : Against
Gay marriage : Legally legal yes. Religiously legal, no
Capital Punishment: EDIT : Against
Same-Sex Parent Adoption : For

The order doesn't count, all these debates interests me.

EEEdit: We actually have mostly, if not only, people voting "for" on capital punishment, so if your actual stance is "against", feel free to take your diapers to the other side of the fence.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Should Canada Pack Up and Go Home?: Yes.

And I was wondering if it would be possible for this thing to not be held on a weekend because I'm quite busy on weekends but not weekdays. I'll have to drop out if these are only held on weekends.

EEEdit: Alright, your debate will be opened from a Monday to a Wednesday. I assume your opponent won't mind extra relaxation and research time. Note that the judging of yours may be a bit delayed due to accomodation against norm, and such.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No. EE and I just went with the topics we knew would be easiest to both research for background, debate, and get enough people interested in selecting it.

With that said, if there is a topic you guys feel would be better, say so here and we'll vote on it.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
The topics kind of suck. I was really suprised to see nothing on Civil Liberties, particularly in the context of the war on terror, or about the United Nations, maybe like something to do with PKOs, or something about the environment (maybe ocean policy?)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I have another question: What happens if you're the only one for one debate? Do you win by default or something and proceed to the next round?

Crimson Edit: No, you will be moved to one of your second choices. Also, post questions in the discussion. We don't need to muddle this topic.

kaid

Smash Master
Debate Topics

[*] Electoral College vs One Person, One Vote

[*] Evolution vs. Creationism

[*] Gay marriage: Should it be Legal Yes

[*] Genetic Engineering: For or Against (Cloning Included)

[*] Same-Sex Parent Adoption Yes

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Alright, I'm game. I'm up for filling in those "hard to reach" places, so we can have a few well-rounded debates.

Gay Marriage: Against
Capital Punishment: Against
Bible or History: Bible
Canada: Who?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Guys, the topics are to cover as much as we can in as little as we can. We can't have a topic on every issue ever or we'd have no one actually competing.

If you have issues, as I said, post a topic you'd like, and we'd vote it in or against it.

Tera253

Smash Ace
Immigration: Should US have Open Borders: yes
Electoral College vs One Person, One Vote: 1P,1V
Gay marriage: Should it be Legal? NO.
Same-Sex Parent Adoption: against

is this all you have to do?

~Tera253~

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
# Gay marriage: Should it be Legal Should be Legal
# Genetic Engineering: For or Against (Cloning Included) For
# Capital Punishment: For or Against For

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Was Operation Iraqi Freedom a Success:Yes
Should the government continue welfare, public school, social security, and Medicare: No
Capital Punishment: For or Against: For
What political party America needs right now: Republican
Which religion should the US be considered: Christian (At all costs I don't want to debate this, but if it comes to it I will.

Can't wait to do this, looking very forward to this. May the best debater win.

EDIT: Edited my order, I would really like to debate the War in Iraq in terms of success.

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
Was the US Right in going to Iraq? For the war.
Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice Pro-Life
Evolution vs. Creationism Creationism

But, really, I'll debate any side on any topic. You can put me in anywhere, I really just want this to run smoothly.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Hmmm...suggestions then I guess.

The United States Supreme Court should overturn its decision in Korematsu v. United States.

Enemy Combatant designations are necessary in fighting the war on terror.

The President should have the authority to wiretap terrorist suspects.

The United States should offer military intervention in the Darfur conflict of Sudan.

Should cruise ships be banned?

The United States should remove any restrictions on gays and lesbians serving in the military.

Which would be better for preserving global stability? A bipolar or multipolar division of power?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Panel members may participate, right?
Yes.

As for the topics, start voting and I'll talk to EE, but it needs to be done by tomorrow after noon as I want the list up of debates by Saturday evening (so you guys can research and prepare)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Wow guys, 20 people signed up. This is beyond any turn out I expected. I'll live this open until 11 pm central time tomorrow night. Then I'll close it and work on a schedule for who faces who. So keep signing up.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
As for the topics, start voting and I'll talk to EE, but it needs to be done by tomorrow after noon as I want the list up of debates by Saturday evening (so you guys can research and prepare)
Why is it that I never get talked to? Huh?

I feel so out of the loop.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Hardly a debatable topic because you can't take a "yes" or "no" stand.
That doesn't mean it's not debateable. One side affirms and offers a policy solution, the other side negates and offers disadvantages to a policy or a possible counterplan. Duh.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
That doesn't mean it's not debateable. One side affirms and offers a policy solution, the other side negates and offers disadvantages to a policy or a possible counterplan. Duh.
This is what I meant.

Easy fix.
"Should the U.S. be removed from the middle-east" yes, no.
This is not what I meant. I would have worded it differently if that was what I was implying.

Edit:

Crimson King said:
The biggest problem with adding that is that A. We'd have to create a separate groups for the winners with a different color, B. The postbit is pretty cluttered.
I have a bunch of friends that run their own forums. What type of board is this and I will see about getting the color/title codes. If I can get them before the DWYP competition is over, can they be implimented? Make sure to tell me what color and title you want before I go out and get it if you agree with this proposal.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Mediocre said:
Why is it that I never get talked to? Huh?

I feel so out of the loop.
You volunteered to be a judge. We didn't want to bother you with pre-contest stuff. However, if you want, give me your AIM name or just message me, comrade.

UK, You'd have to discuss that with the Admins. I have no power of that stuff. Kiki is your best bet.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
You volunteered to be a judge. We didn't want to bother you with pre-contest stuff. However, if you want, give me your AIM name or just message me, comrade.
I'm Mediocre Omelet on AIM. I'll make it a point to be on AIM whenever I'm on the computer for the duration of the contest.

Mind you, I'm not saying you guys have to message me about everything (or anything), but if you feel like you'd like some input feel free to ask me.

God, I don't think I've been on AIM for at least a year.

FiErCe_oNi

Smash Lord
Prayer in Public Schools: For (at the students own will)
Genetic Engineering: For (Cloning Included)
Same-Sex Parent Adoption: Against
Capital Punishment: For

eh... that should be enough...

Arkengate

Smash Journeyman
Name: Matt, or arken

Political view: Liberal, somewhat moderate though!

Religious: Agnostic...ish...
I take lots of religious debate classes though >.>

Music:Anything that hits the spot! Haha... Usually rock, or pop... or if im in the mood, the country love songs :cool:

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Turns out I'm going on an unexpected road trip this weekend. So yeah. -1.

I'll edit my original post to remind ya.

D

Deleted member

Gay marriage: Should it be Legal - No
Was the execution of Saddam Hussein just? - Yes
Capital Punishment: For or Against - For
Evolution vs. Creationism - Both?
Prayer in Public Schools - Against

Delphiki

Smash Champion
CK, could you perhaps run the tournament using Tio? That would easily allow people to view the brackets. Please contact me on AIM if you consider it.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
If you guys need an extra judge, I can help. I mean it's basically what I do for some spare cash, judge high school debate tournaments around Dallas.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
Pro life vs. Pro Choice- Pro Choice
Prayer in Public Schools- H e l l No
Gay Marriage: should it be legal- Yes
Capital Punishment: for or agianst- Agiaist
Was the execution of S. Hussein just- Yes

Quick Thought- wish there was just one smash debate, I know this is WAY more important stuff, but it would have been fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom