• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DWYP 1 Archieves ( Merged )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
Gah, I'd hate to see someone miss the competition or first round just because they signed up last.

I'd be willing to do a 1 vs. 2 if you need me to. We can probably talk about it the next time we talk on AIM.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
It's not up yet. Oh well. But we can go with the first one too, if you'd like. ^^;

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I expected EE to get home in order to give me proper input by last night. Sadly, that didn't go as planned and I have a few issues with scheduling I need him to resolve. I guess, just hold tight until he returns.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Name: KishPrime
Political views: Moral Conservative, Fiscal Conservative (Capitalist!), pro-US
Religious: Conservative Christian

That's all I got...this should be interesting.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Ohh... the suspense is killing me. >_>

So, basically you are just going to throw together another thread with who will face who on what subject and give everyone a week to study before the actual match begins?

I'm just asking to make sure I understand the rules.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I hope so. That's the impression I'm under. Or was, rather. I was like UK, but the suspense actually killed me. I'm moving the keys on the keyboard using ethereal powers. It freaked out my sister pretty badly to see my dead body lying on the floor of my room with my fingers frozen in typing position in rigor mortis. What should we do to entertain ourselves while we're waiting?

Skywalker

Space Jump
For some reason I lost my "Temporary Debater" tag. I'm participating in DWYP, so should I apply again or is being a "Smash Debater" good enough?

Sorry if that's a bit confusing.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
DWYP 1.1 Discussion and Scores (First Page)

Well, I, Crimson King, decided to hijack this to post the results. In parenthesis is the averaged score from the judges. This topic will be converted to general discussion of DWYP 1.1. I will speak with Mediocre and EE on when round two will be as well as PM all the winners to ensure they are still in for round two.

Winners are in Bold. Best of DWYP candidates are in yellow.

Evolution vs. Creationism:
Sizzle(C-) vs. psicicle(B-)​

Was the US right in going to Iraq?:
Delphiki Eorlingas(A) vs. ti83pop(F)​

Same-sex adoption:
Riciardos(A) vs. FiErCe_oNi(F)​

Gay Marriage:
DeLoRtEd1(A) vs. DaRkNeSsOfHeArT(A+)​

Gay Marriage:
sheepyman(A-) vs. Tera253(F)​

Gay Marriage:
McCloud(C+) vs. Marthmaster(F)​

Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice:
Sargent Peach(B+) vs. Duke (D-)​

Which religion should the US be considered?:
Zephyr(A) vs. lonejedi(A) - They tied by the judges, so both go on.​

What political party needs right now?:
Scav(A-) vs. Digital Watches(B)​

Genetic Engineering:
demoncaterpie(F) vs. Uncle Kenny(A-)​

Genetic Engineering:
Skywalker(F) vs. kaid(C-)​

Prayer in Public Schools:
cF=)(B) vs. kishprime(A-)​

Should the US have Open Borders?:
JAKETHIRTEEN(F) vs. Hamsterpie(C-)​

Should the US have Open Borders?:
JTB(B) vs. The Mad Hatter(A)​

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Nice. Almost a 32 man bracket, that's pretty successful. And LOL @ there being three Gay Marriage topics. Hmm...What religion should the U.S. be considered vs. Lone Jedi...this should be fun. Good luck everyone!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
THIRTY people signed up for our first run with this. I am so impressed with that alone. Thanks for the help, Mediocre. If you guys have any questions until I post the topics for Friday as here. Research can come from any source INCLUDING Wikipedia, but be aware that other members can edit Wikipedia and you may have outdated or just plain wrong information.

Voting will work a bit weird. We will make comments on how each person goes about the debate. First go will be based of a random number generator. You'll be getting PMs per debate soon so look for that.

I think I covered anything else. Any questions? Remember no posting on those now and no editting in the contest. Subsequent rounds will be done totally differnet.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yea, I went through that thing and purged all non-competing Temp Debaters. Since you guys are already debaters no need to remain there. Also, sigs should be disabled.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
So we recieve our scores through PM?

Also, will we need a bibliography of all of our reference materials?

Looks like I'm up against demoncaterpie, a fellow writer. Hehe... just remember demon, you're on MY turf now. You may exceed me as a writer but let's see how well you do as a debater. Good luck.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
So we recieve our scores through PM?

Looks like I'm up against demoncaterpie, a fellow writer. Hehe... just remember demon, you're on MY turf now. You may exceed me as a writer but let's see how well you do as a debater. Good luck.
Bring it on Uncle Kenny. If writing's my first love, then arguing is deffinitely my second.

And gentic engineering is one of my favorite topics. Good luck proving your point when it's splattered against a wall:p

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I can't answer the PM question; that's CK's area.

As to the the bibliography, you ought to link to any sources you use. If you're using a book source (which I doubt many people will be doing), just mention the name of the book somewhere.

EDIT: This is just so we can make sure you're not totally bull****ting, and that your sources aren't total bull****. I doubt any of the judges are going to deeply analyze your sources.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Sigh, I'm a bit disappointed, the topic that I ask least to get, I get. But whatever.

GL Zephyr

I'm really looking forward to the DOH vs DeLord, that is going to be an amazing debate.

cF=)

Smash Lord
CK, I just read was you said about delaying the debate, and I might ask you to do so because I'll have time to fix my computer this weekend. If Kish as no problem with it, it could be held maybe next tuesday ?

Delphiki vs. ti83pop will be destruction,
Jake vs. DaRkNeSsOfHeArT is something to look forward to...

Going back in class. Hope I'll get a positive response.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Sigh, I'm a bit disappointed, the topic that I ask least to get, I get. But whatever.
Yeah, sorry about that.

Like I said, I didn't really have a perfect method for assigning these. My primary concern was making sure everyone actually got to debate. Everything else came second, including preferred topics, although I did try to take those into account as much as I could.

I'd assume that we got our chosen side if it's not specified?
Yeah.

I'm switch anybody's side for the debates. If I accidentaly paired off two people who had the same side in a debate, just let us know. I'm pretty sure I didn't, but it's possible.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
So I signed up for pro-gay marriage, but my name makes it look like I'm anti...which is cool because I just thought up of an amazing strategy, lawlz

Wait, make that two strats.

Can we get some judging paradigms so that I know if I can run my incredibly dirty arguments?

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
CK, I just read was you said about delaying the debate, and I might ask you to do so because I'll have time to fix my computer this weekend. If Kish as no problem with it, it could be held maybe next tuesday ?
That's fine. How long are topics open for?

Also, I've never done a debate contest here before, is there some kind of judging rubric?

marthsword

Smash Ace
Now that I come to think of it, not sure how I feel about this topic...and I've seen some of Digital Watche's posts...but I'll try my hardest.

And like Kishprime said, we need some kind of Rubric.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
See the admissions topic criteria? That is the very basic outline we will follow for each response. Also add into the fact that we need to see how each of you will point and counter point and what not. Problem is EE still has not gotten online and we kind of need him to get this thing in print.

Kish and cF=) That's fine. Your debate will go Tuesday to Thursday so you both have the weekend to research.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
So if the debate starts Friday, when does it end, and how does it start? This is my first debate, and I'm a little knew to the format, but not the topic. Also, do we really have to site all of our sources, cause I really am lazy.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
So... um... am I pro-Canada, or anti-Canada?
You're arguing that Canada should be in Iraq.

I seriously thought that your Canada response in the debates registration topic meant that you were willing to debate this topic, but I must have made a mistake.

So I signed up for pro-gay marriage, but my name makes it look like I'm anti...which is cool because I just thought up of an amazing strategy, lawlz
No, you're pro-gay marriage. Your opponent is anti-gay marriage. I just double checked that now.

If anybody else thinks their position on their topic has been reversed, let me know. I don't think I made any mistakes in that regard, but it's not impossible. If I did make a mistake, I'll do my best to rectify it.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I don't think that DoH was wondering what side he was on, I think he was just musing on the reflection of his name on the topic of gay marriage. =D

On a completely different note, is it possible for my debate to be moved? I have both a Science Olympiad competition AND a concert by John Williams to go to on Saturday, which is kinda inconvenient. I'm basically gone all day.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I thought we just had to post the site?

But I have a suggestion, instead of deciding who starts the topic with a random number, why not just have the for argument, or majority argument start the topic. Just an idea.

Also, for my debate partner, I have a very busy weekend this week, and will only be able to post things at certain times. I won't be able to post at all Friday, due to work and school, and I have work on saturday from 5-11 pm Central Time on Saturday. Sunday I'm booked too, so if it's ok with CK maybe we can extend this till about tuesday, since weekdays work best for me.

Last question, I've talked to CK about this a LONG time ago, when I just had entered the DH. I don't have have Firefox, so some of my posts have to take at least like 4 posts, and I got warned because of this, is it alright only for the tourney, that I be aloud to do this. My dad is not huge on downloads, he's pretty virus- phobic? Can this happen only for tourney purposes?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The format is we open the debate on Thursday night and you guys basically begin taking turns. Whoever we choose to go first, goes first then so on and so forth. We will close the debates Sunday for the first round. With the current exception of KishPrime/cF=).

If that still doesn't help your situation Zephyr we can also move if you and your opponent both agree on it. Otherwise, it may be more inconvenient for them this way and that isn't fair.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
If you look at the first post, Lone Jedi, then you'll see that double/triple/quadruple? posting is allowed for this tourney only. Since we're both busy this weekend, I think it's OK that it'd be moved since it's cool with the both of us.

EDIT: Whoa, I posted without seeing CK's post and my post still coincides with his. Weird. o_0

D

Deleted member

Your opponent is anti-gay marriage. I just double checked that now.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeelllll............................I guess...in a sense. I'll still argue it, though. I'm slightly on the fence on this issue, moreso leaning to words anti..but you'll hear all about that in the thread, won't you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom