• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DWYP 1 Archieves ( Merged )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
What about us guys that cannot post until this contest is over?
What the hell are you talking about? Why does participating in this contest prohibit you from posting? Is there some special rule that I'm not aware of?

Anyway, I can't help but wonder why nobody bothered to check whether this contest would conflict with their schedules before signing up.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I have something to do on Saturday, but I'm not worried about this contest. I'll just post my argument tommorow, see what the response is, then research about it and post my reply late Saturday night or Sunday morning. I'm willing to give up anything this isn't mandatory this weekend, which was my thoughts when I entered the contest.

People made a committment when they signed up for the contest, and they should follow through on it.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Christ.

Do you guys have any idea how hard it was to get the ball rolling with this thing?

Eric works two jobs and is a full-time college student. He also has personal life BS to deal with.

I have been jobhunting this entire time and fighting for an internship at a newspaper that might lead to making a living as a writer. I just got it, by the way. I have to write two articles WHILE JUDGING THIS CONTEST. Oh. And personal life BS. And full-time colleging.

I assume Mediocre's schedule is no less hectic, and he doesn't even use AIM, instead forcing himself to to help make this work.

And I feel worst for lonejedi, who did so much pre-arrangement legwork for us he deserves a friggin' medal or something.

It took me and Eric like two hours just to think of topics that cover as wide a range as possible. We spent fifteen minutes just straining for an elusive fifth category.

Sorry if I sound bitter. I know you guys have lives. But so do we. Eric and I have spent the last ... month or so bouncing off each other with pessimism and optimism, coming close to cancelling and motivating each other. And not in fun ways. Like fellatio parties.

What I'm trying to say is we have lives too, and already tried so **** hard to make this work. I was prepared to bend my schedule around making exceptions for you guys (I believe nearly half of you asked for schedule changes), but now that people are abruptly dropping out, I don't know what to say. I feel like I'm just pissing in the wind.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Non-debaters are NOT allowed to post in any topics other than the DWYP ones and ALL members are NOT allowed to post in another DWYP Debate Thread. For instance, me and demoncaterpie can only post in our vs thread and nobody else's vs thread and vice versa with other debaters. Oh, and Delphiki is right, you can post in other forums silly.

Edit: You got a job for the newspaper EE? Great work! I hope your dream to become a writer comes true as I too pursue this dream.

Hey look, if you guys are stressing then I can help you out. I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything I just want to help. I'll do whatever you guys say.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
demoncaterpie, you can't post in other threads in the Debate Hall. You can still post in the other forums. I'm guessing you read "Don't post anywhere else" and got the wrong idea.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Zephyr. I really think that would fix most of the problems. Open the debates tonight or tomorrow, and then close them on the upcoming Thursday. Everyone's problems fixed and no one is unhappy or feeling unappreciated.

Skywalker

Space Jump
How should my (research) sources be cited?
That question was lost in the shuffle. Sorry if I missed something.

But yeah: Crimson King, Mediocre, Evil Eye, and lonejedi are doing A LOT to make DWYP soar. As a panelist I've only done one hour of setting up DWYP (read: AIM chat room meeting), and other panelists who had put more time into the preparations--I apologize for leaving the meeting early.

Cheers to a great contest!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sounds like a good idea to me. We could leave it open for the span of say, 7 days so we come post when everyone's "busy" schedules permit.
It's not even an option. It makes it easier for you guys and that's all. The reason we didn't do them on weekdays is due to our schedules. Plus, that only benefits about half of you. The people who wanted the extension due to whatever reason they stated would be gone during the weekend when everyone else is busy Debating. Plus EE will be gone next weekend and I will be gone Saturday leave 2 judges each weekend, all assuming Mediocre has graciously cleared the schedule.

I am making a decision by 9pm Central time (3 and a half hours) on whether or not to post pone this indefinitely, continue with it, or cancel it all together. As of right now with all the liberties being taken by everyone, I see no way I can honestly award you guys a year premium membership and I see VERY few Temp Debaters who we will permit right now (namely 1-3). This is just the first round, I wanted to have one round but was convinced that multiple rounds would be best and make the competition interesting. Shame you guys didn't check before you asked for all this.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
:(

I really hope this isn't canceled, I'm really looking forward to debating, whether I win or not.

Well, even if its canceled, I'll just write an essay to hopefully get admitted into the room just like everyone else had to.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
^^^ No kidding.

I'll gladly do this, and I'll move stuff around if I have to. I'll even help with organizing crap you guys just don't want to (if I'm allowed to). You guys have had a huge workload setting this thing up in the first place, and I wouldn't want scheduling problems to give the panelists another headache. Let the schedules give me a headache. =D

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I don't want to see all of your hard work, time, and effort wasted. Look, if I can even benefit you guys SLIGHTLY then I will drop out of the tournament and assist you. If talking through PMs are an inconvinience then just talk to me on AIM.

I will do my very best to help you guys out and I ask for absolutely nothing in return.

D

Deleted member

Yeah.

How can we just throw away all the hours of hard work you've put into this? How could people be so inconsiderate?

Oh. Wait.
Right, like I was trying to piss you off.

I don't want to see it cancelled, because I know you guys put a lot of work into it, I thought you guys knew that I knew that, but I guess not, so yeah, don't cancel it guys, we're so close!

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Right, like I was trying to piss you off.

I don't want to see it cancelled, because I know you guys put a lot of work into it, I thought you guys knew that I knew that, but I guess not, so yeah, don't cancel it guys, we're so close!
I didn't think you were trying to piss anybody off, but "Eff cancelling" isn't something you're really in a position to say.

The people who can say that are EE and Crimson King. Not me, either, because I haven't put in the time and effort into this thing like they have, and I don't have an incredibly busy schedule to work it into like it seems they do.

Ultimately the decision of whether or not it should be cancelled is up to them.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
I think some people just didn't understand that the DWYP would consist of a three day debate over the weekend, which when you think about it, is a lot of time. It is something that takes time and effort to setup, and a lot of time and effort to research and debate with quality.

I can still do the debate. If my vote makes any difference, which I'm sure it doesn't.

@CK- didn't mean to try and change the way you guys were running the debate. Just trying to fix everyone's problems, which is of course is impossible. Try not to get so down on it, I know many of us are really excited, remeber how you felt when 30 people signed up. Sorry my solution only helped us and not you guys.

D

Deleted member

I didn't think you were trying to piss anybody off, but "Eff cancelling" isn't something you're really in a position to say.

The people who can say that are EE and Crimson King. Not me, either, because I haven't put in the time and effort into this thing like they have, and I don't have an incredibly busy schedule to work it into like it seems they do.

Ultimately the decision of whether or not it should be cancelled is up to them.
I'm saying that to show my opinion, I don't think it should be cancelled. I'm not allowed to say that?

I could have said it in more eloquent terms, but whatever.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
I honestly don't think this is as big a deal as it is being made out as (god, passive voice, but whatever).

We aren't saying we won't. But it's still hard.

That being said, given the said time constraints, I think we deserve some respect here and there too.

And honestly, we signed up because otherwise, we wouldn't be IN the actual tournament. It's a very small problem of time constraints that can easily be resolved if we all take some compromise and coolheadedness here and there.

The reason why WWYP works is because there's a lot of time put into it. We can't invest a weekend into it, judge it, and move onto the next round. It won't work like that simply due to the fact that there's 30 people that aren't congregated into 1 place with doors locked and guns pointed to their heads trying to debate.

I must stress patience. If we can't all have patience then I'd go ahead and close this, because it honestly won't get anywhere.

-Judging doesn't have to be immediately after debates close.

In all honesty I'd say give it a business week for debate, a business week for judging, and repeat for the next round.

Any attacks on this post, go right ahead.

That being said, I don't wish this canceled. But the decision is up to you two. and Med.

P.S. Thanks for the pink names back. <3

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't think this is as big a deal as it is being made out as (god, passive voice, but whatever).

-Judging doesn't have to be immediately after debates close.

In all honesty I'd say give it a business week for debate, a business week for judging, and repeat for the next round.

<3
McCloud, you are such a genious. Your idea + mine = :)

The pink names are the ****, I wish I had one.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
EE voted to cancel, Mediocre, as voiced here doesn't want to vote because he feels he didn't do enough work (not true). My current idea is to just say screw and let you guys run it on your own, no prizes, and we'll do an official one in the summer. The fact is to score every response will take days per debate. You are looking at nearly a month of judging one round if it's more than 3 days.

Honestly, I am just to irritated to really make any decisions, I'll live it up for discussion and EE and I can resolve this publically I guess. Whatever.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Heres what I think we need to do, just my two cents.

We prospone this for 2 weeks, or whenever EE, CK, and Medicore can do this. Which could be awhile. We then create a strict time table, before sign ups start. That way, you decide wheter you can debate or not. Once we get down to the last 4-8, we can be a bit more flexible.

Honestly, I was really looking forward to this, and I think cancelling it all together would be a bad idea. But didn't it accomplish what the DH wanted? Look how many non-debaters join. Just have them fill out the essay, and get them pumped for the Tourney in like a Month or however long we do this. I think a great time would be during Spring Break.

cF=)

Smash Lord
The turnout of DWYP must be extremely frustrating for everybody who organized this... makes me feel like I never should've asked for a delay and just post on my sister's crappy computer...

If it's still possible, perhaps the already scheduled debates should start and from that point, everybody jumps in depending on their disponibility... I know it would be chaotic, but I don't feel this project should be abandoned...

EDIT: You know what, I agree with lonejedi. Let everybody fill out an essay, and try to move the tourney when you guys will feel like it (if it's at least prior to summer).

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
I don't think this is fair, Crimson King. You guys never said it was not OK to reschedule their debate. How were they suppose to magically know you guys would were secretly pissed off by this? You had no problem with kishprime and CF=)'s schedule change.

All I am trying to say is that you have given a suddenly strike against those rescheduling when they did not know what they were doing was wrong. I understand your frustration and I understand that you wish others would make some sacrifices too but you got to give them a chance. You have declared it wrong to reschedule and threatened to cancel this thing in less than 12 hours. Give them a chance to talk because I guarantee now that they know the alternative they will make some sacrifices to do this.

EDIT: Lonejedi I wouldn't say that, CK gets really pissy when people complain about the color and we really don't need that.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Just a little logic here. Sure, it would take a freaking long time to judge the first round, but you knew that it would be hard and you still decided to go ahead with the competition because you wanted the Debate Hall to flourish and grow. I can only assume that you had good solid reasons for going ahead with the contest. Are those reasons refuted now? If they are, then we can just screw the competition, which I am personally against. But if they aren't, then why not go ahead? Competitions like this take time, it doesn't mean that they can't be done. And if you persevere, then you can learn from what happened this time and improve on the next competition - if you want another. Back to the first sentence, sure, judging the first round will be hell just through sheer numbers, but the second will be half as difficult. The third will be half as difficult as the second, and so on. I know that I don't have the right to be telling you this stuff, but I don't want to see this thing go down the drain. I believe that there's something valuable here and that is should be preserved.

[/rant]

EDIT: In response to UK's post below, I think that the people who actually care about the debates for the prizes are those who have hopes of winning. Since these people have hopes of winning, I can only assume that they are either experienced debaters or conceited. If they're experienced, the they probably like debating and would probably go ahead with it anyway. If they're conceited, I wouldn't want them here in the first place. And I don't that that that category fits anyone here. The other people who don't have any hopes of winning (like me) really don't care about the prizes and just want to do this for fun. Example: I already wrote my admissions essay to submit after the tourney.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Clearly everyone here feels deeply about the tournament. How about you just get rid of the prizes and take as long as you wish to judge? This separates those that feel deeply about debating and those that are just in for the prizes.

We are here to help you out not be your burden. Help us to help you.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Judging won't be a problem, take all the time you need. WWYP waited months for Scav and they are fine and dandy now. Lets put WWYP to hell and show them how the debate hall does it. Lets make this the best thing SWF has seen.
I resent that comment:chuckle:

I agree with Kenny. We all really care about this tournament. Any one of us would jump at the chance to help out in any way possible.

Don't feel so bad about people cancelling or rescheduling. Personally, I know exactly how it feels. I'm trying to make this movie for The Lot (that new reality show on Fox), but everytime I try to get a filming date with my actors, they always end up cancelling. And the excuses range from "going to europe" or "building a house" (no joke on the last one). Eventually, I decided to just make a movie by-myself, with nothing but a camera and a tripod. And I know I'll make the best movie I can.

The point is, there's always alternatives to giving up. Even when you think there's nothing you can do, there's always that option you haven't thought of yet. If you guys try hard enough, I know you can keep this DWYP contest going.

And I, like everyone else, will do whatever it takes to help out.

Oh, and thanks Uncle Kenny for helping me out with the other thing:)

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer

EDIT: Lonejedi I wouldn't say that, CK gets really pissy when people complain about the color and we really don't need that.
I was just curious to why we have pink, there was no explanation, we just became pink, unless I missed something.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Yay, we got pink again!

But anyway, I would be sad if this tournament is cancelled. I'm sure everyone here is willing to wait if you guys need more time(and I personally am willing to help you guys if it's needed).

Also, prices are not needed, everyone is here just to debate and if someone would be here for the prices, that person wouldn't have won anyway.

I'll say it again, time is also not an issue, you guys can take all the time you need, I mean, we can wait. We can't order you to do something for us.

I'm sure we can still do this :).

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
yeah, i can wait. it won't kill me. prizes are nice though, i have to say.

but again, don't hurry on our account. take your time. in order for something to be successful, it needs to be planned and thought out very carefully. (I learned that the hard way with my tournament that got cancelled)

Zephyr

Smash Lord
It's up in the air at this point. CK, EE and Mediocre (Yes, Mediocre, I'd listen to CK about whether your opinion is worth it or not if I were you) get to make the decision as to whether the tourney lives or dies. I already said my piece. =/

EDIT: Mediocre has 3,000 posts!

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
DWPY is back up, boys.

The craziness will ensue Monday, February 12 and go to Wednesday, February 14. If you will not be able to post those days then I apologize. I took the time to talk to Evil Eye and Crimson King to settle this and I promised them that we'd compromise. After Wednesday the threads will be closed and judging will take as long as it needs to.

The thing is that bugged them were the drop outs not the reschedulers. If your partner dropped out you will be debating with someone else whose partner dropped out. You will know who/what you are debating on Monday, make the best of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom