• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dont get da kid started (boss)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Its not fun when you get your balls camped off...
This

Mario's problems getting inside become 1000x worse when the opponent camps and camps MUCH harder than you do.

With a character as dumb as Snake, who can rack damage quicker, has better stage control, kills MUCH earlier, and weighs more...

But yea, if you like it, then you like it. When they're not running away the entire time, it's a pretty fun match-up.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I hate toonlink campers more then snake campers. Toonlinks got more weapons to use.
Arrows, Crawl shot, bombs & boomer wangs. So toonlinks crap better. xD
But, it's funny when campers camp by the ledge. Fludd KO da bess.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I've come to find when a gamer doesn't know a particular MU then the whole concept of that MU becomes "cheap", "gay" (no offense to any homosexuals), "Wii-tard-did", etc regarding fighting games. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is only one of the many fighting games I've played competitively over the past few years. Here's a quote of a quote from my active Mario thread on BFC. (There's a book I love reading & still read daily called The Art of War by Sun Tzu & in chapter 3, the eighteenth lesson he states, "Hence the saying: If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" (17). With this now installed your heads I lead all Mario mains into war ... not offensively, not defensively but yet as clever well rounded individuals.)

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Fun MU to me is Snake when I'm Mario.
I admit, this MU is just so much fun to me, unless I'm brawling my friends Snake who knows all of Mario's tricks, it's hard as balls and hard to work with than :(. I'll probably upload a replay eventually of me playing against EEvisu's snake to show why I love tht MU so much when the Snake has no idea wht to do against the plumber.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
This whole page made me laugh XD

I don't know, Snake vs Mario can be both frustrating and hard, depending on how it's played, but it's still a MU I enjoy immensely.

NNID
LilG912
Lol the camping part, I'll wait until the Snake gets impatient but then again he can easily jab the fireball making us approach which I don't do til he approaches me. Btw the Diddy MU, that s**t is hard as f**k, Mario don't go even vs Diddy, I knew this in a long run.. even Ness have a better chance than us at the Diddy MU since Ness depends on his aerials and constantly stays in the air and space out better than us, not by much tho.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
snake is free........

(smirk)
But Luigi is bad...

Lol the camping part, I'll wait until the Snake gets impatient but then again he can easily jab the fireball making us approach which I don't do til he approaches me. Btw the Diddy MU, that s**t is hard as f**k, Mario don't go even vs Diddy, I knew this in a long run.. even Ness have a better chance than us at the Diddy MU since Ness depends on his aerials and constantly stays in the air and space out better than us, not by much tho.
Maybe you aren't playing the MU right.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Gotta learn how to work dem bananas, brah. They have the potential to either completely **** u over, or give you some great advantages. Throwing bananas off doesn't neutralize this...it's just a like...3-second band-aid.

We can do some nasty things to his recovery too...just can't guess wrong.

But yeah, not even imo. Definitely doable though...and fun if you can use bananas well.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Diddy wins against Mario, but it's a slight advantage. His Dash Attack, F-air, and SideB are annoying moves to deal with in that depending on how he uses them, you have to punish them differently. Bananas are mostly the least of your concerns as long as you practice your item game. You can also at least be thankful that you kill him earlier than he kills you (due to weight). While you don't have good Jab cancel combos on him, his physics from what I can tell are at least pretty good for U-air and U-tilt juggles.

My basic strategy with Bananas is to usually toss them upwards or downwards and then react to what he does. Item toss downward -> aerial generally seems to be a good bait and space control tactic. Generally speaking if you catch Diddy trying to approach you, depending on positioning you can also trap him by shield pushing him into your Banana after tossing it downwards.

snake is free........

(smirk)
Seconded.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the Mario vs Diddy MU is basically a Rock-Paper-Scissor match.
He Side-B, you Up-Smash.
He Fairs, you Bair.
He Dash Attacks, You OoS Nair.
He naner-throws... Well that's up to you(Cape, dodge it, catch it, bop it, twist it, pull it...)

Just a few things about that MU, but playing super passive-defensive seems the way to go, not aggro unless there's no Nanerz out, or you have complete control over his Nanerz and you're on a stage with at least one platform.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Diddy annoyed me until I learned to just camp him and not run into bananas. I was ready to time a Diddy out a while ago but I ended up winning by a 2 stock.
Never tried this, but it actually seems feasible...especially if you have one of his bananas in your hand the whole time.

Anyone know how to do that trippy, pseudo-glidetoss that Link mains do with his bombs? Can Mario do it too? Is it as good as normal glidetossing?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
For Link, it's a DACIT (Dash Attack Canceled Item Toss). He can do it because his Dash Item Toss like his Dash Attack has a lot of momentum.

I don't think Mario gets much out of it. I know Ike can actually catch a Banana immediately after a DACIT lol.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
For Link, it's a DACIT (Dash Attack Canceled Item Toss). He can do it because his Dash Item Toss like his Dash Attack has a lot of momentum.

I don't think Mario gets much out of it. I know Ike can actually catch a Banana immediately after a DACIT lol.
^ This. Marios's baby bro is beast @ dacit though. Esp with his back turn.
Just watch how boss does it against ADHD....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M3FhVWMBLE&feature=related

^ Watch @ 00:13

To me, it's a nice setup for a up-b. Sadly, mario can't do what weegee can.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I think that's a normal glidetoss, lol.

But yea, if Mario's went a tad further, I'd feel more comfortzble with nanners.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yes, that's a normal glidetoss. If you were paying attention, that was Luigi's backwards Smash item toss, which he would be doing for glidetossing after back roll.

As silly as it sounds, every character does in fact have a backwards item toss animation (it's significantly slower than the forward item toss animation).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It could be worse. Some characters can't even glidetoss at all. Also it's not necessarily the length that matters. It's how you use it. Really long glidetosses are usually overrated to be frank.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
DK's glidetoss is a gimmick for the most part. Diddy's glidetoss in comparison while average in length is much better because it actually spaces him optimally for playing control strategies.

Eleghor

Smash Rookie
I think that Mario has much better spacing than Luigi, but the green has more powerful aerials and the downB, to aproach enemys.h8 Luigi's UpB.

Mario falls faster than Luigi in the air?

My cousin plays Luigi, and I have to camp him hard to get the win, is this the only way?

What is the meaning of "gimmick"? Im spanish and I got bad english

Thanks.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
You just need to space him well. Luigi is slow in the air, and on the ground, his shield blows. F-smash is almost always safe on shield, and it outranges anything he has. Just don't try to force combos on him or you'll get nair'd so hard.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I think that Mario has much better spacing than Luigi, but the green has more powerful aerials and the downB, to aproach enemys.h8 Luigi's UpB.

Mario falls faster than Luigi in the air?

My cousin plays Luigi, and I have to camp him hard to get the win, is this the only way?

What is the meaning of "gimmick"? Im spanish and I got bad english

Thanks.
Luigi is extremely floaty and has terrible aerial mobility. His approaches are also really bad and he has nothing to force you to approach. Camping Luigi is the best option (yet I don't do this for some reason). It helps Mario because Luigi trades hits better than Mario does.

A gimmick is something that is really just for show and doesn't have too much use or something they put in the game to resemble the character from other games. For example, Yoshi's shield and Luigi's sliding are gimmicks because they were taken from their games.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I've always defined a gimmick as something that's designed to work like once per set or something just because of how random or unexpected it is.

For example, D3 CG into Dash attack is a gimmick.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I've always defined a gimmick as something that's designed to work like once per set or something just because of how random or unexpected it is.

For example, D3 CG into Dash attack is a gimmick.
That's a much better definition than mine. I don't know why but I was thinking about the little gimmicky things they put into characters like the egg shield because Yoshi's hatch from eggs.

Eleghor

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot for the answers guys, now, I have more :3:

How can I beat a D3 that the most part of the time just give me % with chain and side B?

Inferno3044

Smash Master

How can I beat a D3 that the most part of the time just give me % with chain and side B?
D3 is really hard and almost unwinnable. Honestly, the only thing that can give you anything close to success to platform camping and timing him out. Even then it's almost impossible.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You don't need to time him out if you can gimp him. It's not impossible to do that. Well-placed FLUDDs and Capes can do the trick.

boss8

Smash Hero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=079p47Y42Og <-----something interesting...

DO's....
-Count his jumps
-space/bair/rising/falling dair camp,These are all great moves to chissle away at his shield.
-Fludd/cape.This is when counting his jumps comes in handy...while many D3's like to jump.(giving u the free oppurtunity to jump up and hit him) while he is recovering..try and eliminate all his options by all means...(beware of his FF utilt)
-fireball from a distance.Yea he can powershield them but this gives u time to recooperate...

Dont....
-approach upfront.Space and chissle ur way in.DDD can also bair camp outprioritizing alot of ur moves,so play safe my friend..
-leave urself in lag,will jus give him the free grab he wants...auto chaingrab.
-Be afraid.Yea his grab and spotdodge is intimidating,but jus try and maintain composure

IMO this matchup isnt IMPOSSIBLE u do have some tools that give DDD a lil run for his money..overall id give this matchup a 70/30 :( DDD.Mainly cause we lack kill power...all we can rely on is juggles and gimps..

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Usually when someone spotdodges, I find the best answer is to hold A to autoJab.

Top Bottom