• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dont get da kid started (boss)

Omari

Smash Journeyman
D3 can't grab when his back is turned (regardless if he power shields after he spot dodges) even though there's a 2 frame window to perform an action.

D3 can't spam spot dodge when he's facing you (that leaves us an extra 5 frames which our auto-jab is 1 less frame than, correct?) due to his left limbs still being exposed.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Coolwhip: I can say a bunch of stuff, but I'd like to ask you a question first.. what part of Lucas are you struggling against?

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Ok. Is playing anti-air good against lucas?

I know my use of fireballz won't do much good unless i mindgame them.

Boss vs. Pinkfresh is the only video i seen that can help me out, unless someone else has a video of them against lucas.

EDIT: I know lucas N-air ***** against mario's N-air
Oh & what moves are best when approaching lucas?

boss8

Smash Hero
Ok. Is playing anti-air good against lucas?

I know my use of fireballz won't do much good unless i mindgame them.

Boss vs. Pinkfresh is the only video i seen that can help me out, unless someone else has a video of them against lucas.

EDIT: I know lucas N-air ***** against mario's N-air
Oh & what moves are best when approaching lucas?
i feel i was playing that match all wrong....this was before i knew how to fight lucas....ill give u somemore insight later....in the meantime i wonder if anyone else has advice....this matchup seems to be 45/55...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Maybe staying in the Air against DDD is a good Ide.....?

No Nvm
It's more important to just stay away from him, lol. The goal is to make him come to you. If that means going aerial, then by all means.

It's also largely stage-dependent.

@Lucas: I think it could be 40:60 (-2) for us. He's like...the most unsafe character to fireball approach just because of the insane reward he gets.

That alone puts me out of my zone, personally. I really can't operate without fireballs.

:phone:

Inferno3044

Smash Master
It's more important to just stay away from him, lol. The goal is to make him come to you. If that means going aerial, then by all means.

It's also largely stage-dependent.

@Lucas: I think it could be 40:60 (-2) for us. He's like...the most unsafe character to fireball approach just because of the insane reward he gets.

That alone puts me out of my zone, personally. I really can't operate without fireballs.

Gotta find new ways to approach.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
I find FLUDD to be relatively helpful in the Lucas match-up. Especially for those that constantly approach with his aerials. Not to mention how it can throw them off if they are close enough when using the up-B on or off stage. This is just my thoughts.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I honestly think Lucas is MUCH easier than most Mario players think he is, just if you use fireballs the same way as you would against Snake, that sucks. However you compete well enough with his spacing with B-airs really which more than makes up for it imo.

The key thing about Lucas that I think we don't take advantage of enough of are his HORRIBLE kill setups. Lucas is for the most part terrible at landing kills. You have to screw up about as badly against him as you do against Snake to get killed in that matchup, except he's weaker than Snake, his kill moves are less safe, and his kill moves are all easy to react to in general.

Two things Lucas happens to be bad at are hitting things above him, and hitting things that roll away from him. Just keep that in mind, because those are positions where you are generally very safe from him. He can't really juggle you unless you get lazy. And especially since his DA, U-smash, and dashgrab are all slow, he can't really do much to punish you hard if you simply roll backwards from him. He's also deceptively bad at punishing spotdodge. His grab duration is only 1 frame. His N-air while decent does little damage unless he lands a lot of hits. His D-smash also is much weaker on the late hits.

Honestly learn to use your normals better, and just be really patient. You don't need fireballs to come out ahead against Lucas because his normals aren't THAT spectacular. His aerials and F-tilt give him an okay spacing game, but he sucks at capitalizing quite a bit. I do think Ness is more difficult than Lucas for the simple fact that Ness's WAY superior grab lets him capitalize far better, even if Mario generally doesn't have trouble competing with their normals.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I honestly think Lucas is MUCH easier than most Mario players think he is, just if you use fireballs the same way as you would against Snake, that sucks. However you compete well enough with his spacing with B-airs really which more than makes up for it imo.

The key thing about Lucas that I think we don't take advantage of enough of are his HORRIBLE kill setups. Lucas is for the most part terrible at landing kills. You have to screw up about as badly against him as you do against Snake to get killed in that matchup, except he's weaker than Snake, his kill moves are less safe, and his kill moves are all easy to react to in general.

Two things Lucas happens to be bad at are hitting things above him, and hitting things that roll away from him. Just keep that in mind, because those are positions where you are generally very safe from him. He can't really juggle you unless you get lazy. And especially since his DA, U-smash, and dashgrab are all slow, he can't really do much to punish you hard if you simply roll backwards from him. He's also deceptively bad at punishing spotdodge. His grab duration is only 1 frame. His N-air while decent does little damage unless he lands a lot of hits. His D-smash also is much weaker on the late hits.

Honestly learn to use your normals better, and just be really patient. You don't need fireballs to come out ahead against Lucas because his normals aren't THAT spectacular. His aerials and F-tilt give him an okay spacing game, but he sucks at capitalizing quite a bit. I do think Ness is more difficult than Lucas for the simple fact that Ness's WAY superior grab lets him capitalize far better, even if Mario generally doesn't have trouble competing with their normals.
Chill, Snake punishes way easier than Lucas. Snake has the ability to punish slight mistakes with a kill move. Lucas's Fsmash has decent speed for a kill move and his other smashes can kill although they are pretty telegraphed. I can't remember off the top of my head what aerials he has that can kill other than his spikes.

His weak spot above him isn't as big a deal because Mario lacks a move that hits below him. Maybe dair will hit him (honestly I can't remember) but that still isn't good. Rolling away from him on the other hand sounds really good and I might give that a try if I ever face a Lucas.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Everything wrong.

Spaced bairs from Mario would eat pkfire's from Lucas. And don't bother caping those pk fire's cause it does nothing for Mario, except leaves you open to be punished. There are pretty much 3 things to do, run away for a stalemate.. power shield for another stalemate... or read the pk fire, air dodge through, and punish the Lucas during his lag. Reason why power shielding is a stalemate is because Lucas would wave bounce away, and you'd be standing still from the power shielding, hence leaving the Lucas further away to be punished. And on top of that, if we just space bair's, other than pkfires, Lucas can also space fair's, which has a disjoint I believe, which makes it harder for us.

Lucas has plenty of kill set ups, I don't know which Lucas you are playing. There's the generic dair -> dtilt(lock) -> kill. I don't know the exact percentage that this works, but it's very generic.. all you can really do is tech the spike. However, if you tech the spike, careful of the tech chase. Pretty much what I do when I'm at high percentages is try my best not to be under Lucas.. which gets a bit hard cause he can full hop dair you. You can read this and punish him from the sides however. Other than this, there are other set ups as well.. his fsmash is fast for a kill move x.x

If you're above Lucas, all he has to do is utilt or uair.. These have pretty nice range.... and if Lucas reads the air dodge, he can just usmash... so let's not say it's safe to be above Lucas pl0x :[ It doesn't matter if he can't juggle you when he also puts up a lot of percentage per hit... There are also pk thunder shenanigans. Lucas' pivot grabs are a lot faster than dash grabs... if they dash grab, they're doing something wrong. Rolling backwards is bad as well, Lucas can just pk fire. Lucas nair auto cancels and can combo into itself, or ftilt(which can also kill). And I have no idea why you think Lucas is bad at punishing spot dodges, his dsmash stays out forever and hurts o.O

For once, I agree with you a LITTLE bit. If you can get in side Lucas, Mario's normal moves can destroy Lucas, until he gets away. However, although Lucas can absorb fireballs, you can still use it to get in.. just be smart about it, don't spam it like an idiot just trying to heal him. If you DO fireball and he absorbs.. if you're on the ground, IMO the best way to deal with it is run up, power shield the PSI magnet(a lot of people forget there's a hit box here), and punish. If you're in the air, Lucas can jump cancel the absorb.. just hope for a good read.

A few random crap:
- At low percent, Lucas can dthrow -> utilt.
- Lucas dsmash goes through pretty far, noticeably on Battlefield's lower platforms, and Smashville's platform.
- Lucas usmash from the ground reaches to the top of the platform of Battlefield.
- Fludd ***** Lucas' recovery.
- Most of the time when Lucas is trying to recover high, and you hear "pk fire", line up the horizontal trajectory and just nair... most of the time the Lucas is magnet pulling, and your nair would eat him.
- Grab Lucas, pummel, grab release, run and regrab... not a true combo but a lot of Lucas fear grab releases from various characters this will work once or twice xD Grab release to ftilt works based on the Lucas DI as well
- If you're near the edge, and manage to grab Lucas.. just grab release him into a fireball, a few things will happen(these are not guarantees, just what I noticed):
*Lucas will try to zair and the fireball will hit him forcing him to PK thunder(if you read this, run off bair works better)
*Lucas will panic and pk thunder.. fireball will cancel out pk thunder.
*Lucas will get hit by the fireball... extra 2-3% is always nice :D
*Lucas will absorb the fireball... just try to read his reaction from here.
*Lucas will double jump, fireball will cancel out the jump, and will force to PK thunder(FLUDD!!)
*Lucas will DI away, double jump away and try to PK thunder (FLUDD!!)

That's all I can really think of right now... Lucas does beat Mario in the match up, I like playing the edge game against Lucas though cause his options gets limited. Lucas CAN gimp Mario, but it's a gamble on the Lucas part(on ours too, but more over Lucas)

TL;DR - A2Z doesn't know what he's talking about.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Gotta find new ways to approach.
I mean, I have other approach options, but all pale in comparison to fireball mix-ups.

You also gotta remember that the MAIN issue that Lucas has aside from his GRs are the fact that he has a hard time getting to his favorable range, which is close range. He literally forces us to approach him...then once we're inside, he's got a ton of options just like we do...some of which are better due to his disjoints (Fullhop Dair OOS is reliable AND does 23% AND is disjointed AND is a KO set-up).

Our spacing game is severely hindered due to a few randomly effective traits that he possesses (tether grab, PK fire which is useless to cape, he's just as nimble as us but has disjoints, and fireballs are damn-near ineffective altogether) and he kills earlier than us, safer than us, shares our weight-class, can be difficult to gimp, can gimp us rather easily (PKT, amongst other things), and cripples our approach options.

Granted...none of these things shut us down completely. Not unless the Lucas is literally running away from you all match...in which case...well...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Spaced bairs from Mario would eat pkfire's from Lucas. And don't bother caping those pk fire's cause it does nothing for Mario, except leaves you open to be punished. There are pretty much 3 things to do, run away for a stalemate.. power shield for another stalemate... or read the pk fire, air dodge through, and punish the Lucas during his lag. Reason why power shielding is a stalemate is because Lucas would wave bounce away, and you'd be standing still from the power shielding, hence leaving the Lucas further away to be punished. And on top of that, if we just space bair's, other than pkfires, Lucas can also space fair's, which has a disjoint I believe, which makes it harder for us.
I don't know where you get the idea that Lucas is totally safe when he PK Fires. He's not Falco. He actually takes a long time to spam that ****. Powershielding is fine. You simply want to get in midrange against Lucas since you're better there than him since his punishes suck.

Lucas has plenty of kill set ups, I don't know which Lucas you are playing. There's the generic dair -> dtilt(lock) -> kill. I don't know the exact percentage that this works, but it's very generic.. all you can really do is tech the spike. However, if you tech the spike, careful of the tech chase. Pretty much what I do when I'm at high percentages is try my best not to be under Lucas.. which gets a bit hard cause he can full hop dair you. You can read this and punish him from the sides however. Other than this, there are other set ups as well.. his fsmash is fast for a kill move x.x
You have forever to react to the D-air spike, so I don't get what the problem is. And learn vertical spacing, and do it especially since his juggles suck. Honestly his fullhop D-air shenanigans aren't even that safe. Your fullhop game is arguably better, especially if you know how to abuse your fullhop U-airs and D-airs. Not to mention B-airs.

Yeah. His F-smash is 14 frames if I recall. 1 frame faster than Mario's F-smash, which has greater range and better frame advantage on block than Lucas's F-smash.

If you're above Lucas, all he has to do is utilt or uair.. These have pretty nice range.... and if Lucas reads the air dodge, he can just usmash... so let's not say it's safe to be above Lucas pl0x :[ It doesn't matter if he can't juggle you when he also puts up a lot of percentage per hit... There are also pk thunder shenanigans. Lucas' pivot grabs are a lot faster than dash grabs... if they dash grab, they're doing something wrong. Rolling backwards is bad as well, Lucas can just pk fire. Lucas nair auto cancels and can combo into itself, or ftilt(which can also kill). And I have no idea why you think Lucas is bad at punishing spot dodges, his dsmash stays out forever and hurts o.O
You can react SO EASILY to Lucas's juggles. It's hilarious if he hits you when you're above him.

His jumps, especially his double jump is awful, so he has no business trying to chase anything above him. His U-air and U-tilt can't frametrap anything, specifically airdodge. And his U-smash is laughably slow. Unless you're say Ganondorf, Bowser, Ike, or Snake, you have no business getting hit by this character when you're above him especially if you're platform camping. He has no juggle game. Except for N-air kinda, but he really shouldn't be comboing you with that except at really really low percents.

You can Cape PK Thunder. Problem solved there. His pivot grab still sucks because it has 1 frame duration meaning he has to really has to read your **** pretty accurately to actually land that. He has to read the roll way in advance to punish it with PK Fire, which is never going to kill you anyway, and practically never going to hit you if he is camping. His D-smash only hurts on the first hit. The 2nd and 3rd hit are almost never going to kill you.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Pk fire definitely beats marios bair. I remember playing a Lucas a while ago that beat my bair approaches with pk fire. The thing that makes pk fire safe is the push backwards he gets (of course in the air).

I don't think someone who got 3 stocked by a Lucas should be telling people how to fight Lucas.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Inferno, stop telling me your spacing is terrible. I've heard that enough times. In fact just stop running into things that you don't need to get hit by. And who got 3 stocked by a Lucas? It wasn't me, that's for sure. Last Lucas I played in tournament I beat for the record.

If Lucas is safely spacing his PK Fire, he's losing a LOT of ground. You never need to get hit by that move given it is first active after like 21 frames, and he lags at least 30 frames after doing one. Even disregarding that he might be out of range for a strict punish, that is PLENTY of time to advance on him.

You space him just fine from midrange. He has to actually respect your B-airs most of the time and your aerials given you can generally punish him better than he can punish you, and given his bad range in general, he has to respect Mario's F-smash as well. And if you're in trouble, oh wait. He can't juggle you or punish you if you roll away. Too bad for him. Furthermore once you get the lead, platform camp him. He can't really stop that.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Maybe during the summer. I'm looking forward to potentially making one of the E4J series once I'm out of school.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Not you Boss :[

My Lucas is garbage, however if we run into each other at Genesis 2 I don't mind doing a 5 dollar money match using Fox/Mario :D

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'll fight your Lucas with my Ganon. Or my Link. Or my Bowser. Whichever I feel like doing. Lucas doesn't scare me. I'll go Mario against your Fox or Luigi. Falco or G&W if you want to be lame and pick Mario.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
No A2Z, my Lucas, your Mario. That's the point of this discussion if you haven't noticed it. From what I remember, your Ganon was garbage.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Just because the move has plenty of startup time doesn't mean you won't get hit. Mario's fireball is about as fast as Lucas's PK fire and people get hit by those. One of ZSS's best move is like frame 20ish (Dsmash) and I see Snakeee and Nick Riddle land those consistently. If you use bair it will lose to PK fire and that is the point Kanzaki tried to make. Also I heard you got 3 stocked by 3des. Also what stops Lucas from chasing your roll? And why can you time him out once you get a lead?

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I do the stupidest **** against Ganon and end up getting punished for like 20% XD. I can't take Ganon seriously.

@Xero - I don't really like to MM, but when I do it's for a small amount like $2. Boss I'll MM your Mario at KTAR for $2. Maybe your Luigi as well because how I played at Pound was embarrassing. I got 3 stocked by you and Will and messed up a free gimp on an MK and therefore didn't win 2-0 against him.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Just because the move has plenty of startup time doesn't mean you won't get hit. Mario's fireball is about as fast as Lucas's PK fire and people get hit by those. One of ZSS's best move is like frame 20ish (Dsmash) and I see Snakeee and Nick Riddle land those consistently. If you use bair it will lose to PK fire and that is the point Kanzaki tried to make. Also I heard you got 3 stocked by 3des. Also what stops Lucas from chasing your roll? And why can you time him out once you get a lead?
I don't recall playing 3des in tournament. So the point is irrelevant.

Just because people get hit by moves doesn't mean THEY HAVE TO. Mario's Fireball actually doesn't hit people most of the time. It's the followups AFTER the fireball that matter, or the times Mario's fireball shield pokes in matchups where his opponent has a bad shield. Lucas's PK Fire is significantly slower than Mario's fireball by the way. You never need to let that move hit you, and you never need to let it bother you since Lucas has bad punish options.

People don't know the ZSS matchup. She's an extremely uncommon character, and her ENTIRE gameplan is punishing mistakes. She needs more time and representation before people actually get the matchup against her correctly. The fact I still see people running into platform camping D-smashes is honestly embarrassing. Stuff like that needs to stop happening because it never needs to happen.

You never have to commit to anything against Lucas until you're in the range where he can't throw out PK Fires safely. If you're committing to things you shouldn't be, you should step up your game.

Lucas's options to chase rolls are garbage. Talk to any real Lucas main about it, since that's exactly what RocketPSience told me. His DA, PK Fire, dashgrab, U-smash are all garbage for chasing rolls. His DA, PK Fire, and U-smash start up extremely slowly, so he has to call rolls WAY in advance to hit you with those moves. Dashgrab is a little faster, but has 1 frame duration so it's not safe to use. He can sorta chase rolls a little better with N-air, but the reward on that is crap except at really low percents. F-air similarly is pretty low reward. Mario isn't exactly great at chasing rolls either but he at least has U-smash, which can be easily landed for kills, and his DA is a decent combo starter as well at almost any percent.

Once you have the lead against Lucas, platform camp him. His juggle options are bad, some of the worst in the game. His aerials don't have the ability to frametrap airdodge, and his double jump is really slow. It's as simple as that. He can't punish crap above him.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
3des 3 stocked you in friendlies. So.... before friendlies were relevant to you, but now they're not? I guess they're relevant when you're convenient.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I host smashfests, and starting to goto tournies again. If A2Z were to ever to come out of his little hole, then matches will be recorded :]

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
3des 3 stocked you in friendlies. So.... before friendlies were relevant to you, but now they're not? I guess they're relevant when you're convenient.
How long ago was that? That's why it's not relevant. If it's long enough ago that I don't remember it, then it was pretty ****ing long ago. Probably my first tournament ever by the way, where EVERYONE ****s up. You picked probably the single worst example of what represents my playstyle in a particular matchup. This is the bull**** that needs to stop. Learn to analyze the situation. The fact you bothered to remember something from the FIRST tournament I went to is honestly pretty pathetic.

I could argue that you're garbage in teams due to the number of times you killed me in friendlies, but we'd both agree that's an unfairly slanted analysis. Learn to do that **** man.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
To be good at doubles, you have to observe both your opponents AND your partner. You can argue that I'm garbage in teams if you want, my results backs up me, especially a win against DSF and TOURNAMENT. Highlight of my career xD

And only times we teamed up was on wifi... and you know.. that's serious business. And if you want more in depth analysis, we teamed up against *********, you can ask him yourself how I did when I actually got a better partner.. or I have video proof as well which I will link later</phone>

But yea.. just saying, you used an example a while back of Pink Fresh, in friendlies... using WARIO. But now friendlies don't count now. Stay consistent.

And I'd also like to point out.. Myself and 3des got 2nd place at his first tournament AND our first time teaming up. So no "everybody ****s up at first tourney" Johns.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
When I cited Pink Fresh, I cited how he ****ed up and how he could have done better. Did you do any of that? No.

Your point is what? You're just spouting random nonsense without real backing and trying to pretend it means anything without explaining what happened.

And lies, that definitely was not your first tournament. You were in the Melee scene before me. The first tournament I went to was the first time I ever went to anything outside my home.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Notice I said 3des' first tournament, not mine.

And if you must, my first Melee tourney I got 5th place in Low Tiers out of 30ish?

And not spouting random nonsense, pretty much stating facts out of EXPERIENCE, not theory crafting. And even challenged my experience with Lucas against your Mario in a money match, however, you're never out in a tournament or anything... soooo when will this happen :[

Make up your mind btw, friendlies count or not?

Inferno3044

Smash Master
He said it was 3des's first tournament and their first time teaming together. But A2 I have to agree with kanzaki on this. You can't say things don't matter when it disproves your point. My encounter that I used with Lucas was in fall of '09 and and of my earlier tournaments. Yeah I made mistakes but it still showed that pk fire beats bair.

Top Bottom