• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dont get da kid started (boss)

Omari

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what fludd hopping is ._.
F.L.U.D.D. Breaking (hopping) is an AT used to bait charges (opponent(s) tend to think Mario is vulnerable when charging (he's actually in another type of shield (technically). The concept is similar to how to OoS without releasing shield (created a thread on the topic) but with another step (charging F.L.U.D.D.).

How?: Charge F.L.U.D.D.>Shield>Jump>Anything (SJP, u-smash, any air (f-air's not a good OoS option; A2ZOMG mentioned that you can tilt your control stick as far downward as you want d-air without releasing shield but the jump must be performed first, followed by tilting down & then the attack button) or any special (which you can fire ball (I like to s-curve to throw my opponent(s) off), jump-cape or initiate another F.L.U.D.D. (very useful for keeping F.L.U.D.D. charged while maneuvering on platforms).

Tip: Smash Ville (SV) is a really good place to start due to the F.L.U.D.D. platform canceling (FPFC) (anything that has to do with down; I'm sure you already know). Also, your tournament (advice) videos was the **** :) & we need more people like you in the smash community. Remember NY/NJ Ran-Bats (wish I could have played your MK)?

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@Sleek Media: Mario can consecutively mid air jump (originally discovered by Famous) after he airs or air dodges (Jump immediately after the whole move finishes to jump again; You're jumping on the ground without landing (basically) & Flight of Ganon is a similar concept).

SKidd

Smash Master
I just had an awesome training idea. You be Mario, I'll be Wario, and I'll get a small wheel.

If you can snatch the wheel from my hand...

Orion*

Smash Researcher
F.L.U.D.D. Breaking (hopping) is an AT used to bait charges (opponent(s) tend to think Mario is vulnerable when charging (he's actually in another type of shield (technically). The concept is similar to how to OoS without releasing shield (created a thread on the topic) but with another step (charging F.L.U.D.D.).

How?: Charge F.L.U.D.D.>Shield>Jump>Anything (SJP, u-smash, any air (f-air's not a good OoS option; A2ZOMG mentioned that you can tilt your control stick as far downward as you want d-air without releasing shield but the jump must be performed first, followed by tilting down & then the attack button) or any special (which you can fire ball (I like to s-curve to throw my opponent(s) off), jump-cape or initiate another F.L.U.D.D. (very useful for keeping F.L.U.D.D. charged while maneuvering on platforms).

Tip: Smash Ville (SV) is a really good place to start due to the F.L.U.D.D. platform canceling (FPFC) (anything that has to do with down; I'm sure you already know). Also, your tournament (advice) videos was the **** :) & we need more people like you in the smash community. Remember NY/NJ Ran-Bats (wish I could have played your MK)?
Next time I'm at a tournament just walk up and ask to friendly! I really wouldn't care who you are, I'm there to play the game and have fun and meet people xD.

Also, I didn't even know that was considered an AT. I just did that assuming I was abusing shielding out of fludd rofl.

I didn't think of platform cancelling out of it though (lol europe xD)

SKidd

Smash Master
What? Enlighten me because I missed the punchline.

How? Enlighten me & do you know what infinite means?
Reference to an old TV show in the 1970's called "Kung Fu", an episode where the main character as a boy must snatch a pebble from his master's hand, and when he does he may leave as he has become "ready". It is also the origin of the student term "Grasshopper".

And I think Sleek Media was thinking about jumping, then jumping, then jumping, then jumping, then jumping, then... Well, you get the idea.

Omari

Smash Journeyman
@Skidd: Thanks for the heads up, now I understand better & I can see somewhat you mean (regarding Sleek Media's question).

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-@inferno: oh, cool, we need some serious ppl around here that can put our name in the spotlight...-

p.d: 200 posts finally x9

SKidd

Smash Master
Omari is in the dictionary,

Omari: 1A person who bolds and italicizes, and sometimes underlines one or more words a sentence.

2A person who knows a lot about Mario.

SKidd

Smash Master
How do I handle Marth onstage; and what can Mario do with platform cancelling, should I bother perfecting it?

Also, why is your name Omari?

Omari

Smash Journeyman
How do I handle Marth onstage; and what can Mario do with platform cancelling, should I bother perfecting it?

Also, why is your name Omari?
Currently still sick from #5 but I'll definitely do my best answer more of your question(s) whenever I'm able.

:mario2:::marth: (ground game):
1. Prevent remaining airborne as much as possible (especially against characters who have better air game than your character) when ever you're Marth's personal space (comfort zone) unless you're attempting to bait.
2. Remain grounded (as much as possible) whenever you're in Marth's personal space because he's shuts Mario down in multiple areas.
3. Utilize tilts that place Marth in a bad (or worse) position (in order for you to capitalize even further) when inside his comfort zone.
4. Utilize fire balls to assist approaching (an excellent approach for starters is short hop fire ball>jab (eats shield & cover several options)) against characters who can simply out prioritize (due to them having a weapon) your character.

Platform Canceling regarding Mario (PFC):
F.L.U.D.D. Platform Cancel (FPFC)>Shield (unless you're aiming to spot dodge or roll)>Jump (unless you're aiming to perform any ground related move (excluding Up Smash (u-smash) or Super Jump Punch (SJP) because can be performed before/after jumping)>Anything (SJP's usually your safe bet against smashers who short hop under you to start platform pressure). (PFC's compatible with any move involving down but it's your job to make more of a use of those uses.)

Should you bother perfecting ATs (platform canceling to be specific)? Yes, you should bother perfecting ATs but to a certain extent (don't develop virtual OCD (like I first did) when practicing your skills) IMO. Developing OCD virtually mean wanting to land every AT (every, single, time) at any moment (which is impossible due to no one being perfect). My suggestion to you (as a smasher) would be to execute ATs you know to the best of your ability. My favorite aspect about brawl is troubleshooting (finding out why certain moves work or don't work, similar to a puzzle) & developing a simpler way perform each move.

Why is my name (smash tag) Omari? Honestly, Omari's my middle name. Any smasher that I've spoke with (virtually or in reality) assumes that I unscrambled the letters of Mario (basically putting the O at the beginning to form Omari). Either that will occur, or some smashers will joke & randomly place an on at the end (Omarion which is a no, sorry.). I've thought of plenty of intimidating tags before I entered the smash scene (competitive) in early 2010. My reason for doing that was to install something unique in my opponents because tags like Boss (which sounds 100 times more intimidating when pronounced as BOSS), KirinBlaze (which already let's you know you're facing a fire wall of death) or even Famous (if you don't know why then you'll soon find out). Finally, I came to a conclusion that the opinion that mattered...was mine.

SKidd

Smash Master
Marth is a terrible MU for Mario. It's 3:7 by my scale, meaning you shouldn't be winning against a good Marth.
Well, that's a bad mindset.

Currently still sick from #5 but I'll definitely do my best answer more of your question(s) whenever I'm able.

:mario2:::marth: (ground game):
1. Prevent remaining airborne as much as possible (especially against characters who have better air game than your character) when ever you're Marth's personal space (comfort zone) unless you're attempting to bait.
2. Remain grounded (as much as possible) whenever you're in Marth's personal space because he's shuts Mario down in multiple areas.
3. Utilize tilts that place Marth in a bad (or worse) position (in order for you to capitalize even further) when inside his comfort zone.
4. Utilize fire balls to assist approaching (an excellent approach for starters is short hop fire ball>jab (eats shield & cover several options)) against characters who can simply out prioritize (due to them having a weapon) your character.

Platform Canceling regarding Mario (PFC):
F.L.U.D.D. Platform Cancel (FPFC)>Shield (unless you're aiming to spot dodge or roll)>Jump (unless you're aiming to perform any ground related move (excluding Up Smash (u-smash) or Super Jump Punch (SJP) because can be performed before/after jumping)>Anything (SJP's usually your safe bet against smashers who short hop under you to start platform pressure). (PFC's compatible with any move involving down but it's your job to make more of a use of those uses.)

Should you bother perfecting ATs (platform canceling to be specific)? Yes, you should bother perfecting ATs but to a certain extent (don't develop virtual OCD (like I first did) when practicing your skills) IMO. Developing OCD virtually mean wanting to land every AT (every, single, time) at any moment (which is impossible due to no one being perfect). My suggestion to you (as a smasher) would be to execute ATs you know to the best of your ability. My favorite aspect about brawl is troubleshooting (finding out why certain moves work or don't work, similar to a puzzle) & developing a simpler way perform each move.

Why is my name (smash tag) Omari? Honestly, Omari's my middle name. Any smasher that I've spoke with (virtually or in reality) assumes that I unscrambled the letters of Mario (basically putting the O at the beginning to form Omari). Either that will occur, or some smashers will joke & randomly place an on at the end (Omarion which is a no, sorry.). I've thought of plenty of intimidating tags before I entered the smash scene (competitive) in early 2010. My reason for doing that was to install something unique in my opponents because tags like Boss (which sounds 100 times more intimidating when pronounced as BOSS), KirinBlaze (which already let's you know you're facing a fire wall of death) or even Famous (if you don't know why then you'll soon find out). Finally, I came to a conclusion that the opinion that mattered...was mine.
Thanks.
Omari is an awesome middle name, haha.
Also, when quoting you, it's a bunch of bolds, italicizes, underlines, etc., and it's just like "Wow... he really puts effort into this."
My tag comes from my real name - the 'S' and 'K' are both capitalized for a reason.

SKidd

Smash Master
Well, I never thought of it that way. Guess it's not too bad.

I like to think I can win if I really try, no matter who I'm playing.

But, as far as I know, you're better than me, so whatever.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Marth isn't that bad...just have to fight him like Peach on steroids.

In other words, no aggro. He's faster, safer, and outranges you.

Just remember that he's kinda light, you can abuse his recovery, and he sucks when you're beneath him.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Marth isn't that bad...just have to fight him like Peach on steroids.

In other words, no aggro. He's faster, safer, and outranges you.

Just remember that he's kinda light, you can abuse his recovery, and he sucks when you're beneath him.
Marth is really bad. So much of Mario's game is shut down by fair and dancing blade alone.

Just saw the P5 results, how did M2K get 9th?
He lost to Ultimate Razer in winners then forfeited to Ally (lost to ESAM in winners quarters) for 9th to focus on melee (which he got 5th).

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Man whats with people forfeiting and not caring for this game anymore?
:(
This game's ****in stupid.

I only still play it because it can be fun sometimes. I love the community, and my crew and you guys make me want to be good at this game.

But this game is ********.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Actually, I suggest being aggressive against Marth. The reward for camping is minimal compared to what you can get if you get him above you in the air [he's 100% free in that position] ... Marth has good OoS options but other than that his defensive mechanics [rolls, doedges] are all sub-par and very much abusable. Although it's the european meta game [which has a lower standard than the US] we have the most successful Marth's because by character design he simply has no other choice than to play aggressively. You will not be able to prevent him from breaking your defense ... but it's perfectly possible for you to break his defense.

Smart aggression is the key.

:059:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, I could've worded that better. What I mean is don't constantly push to get inside; especially with fireballs.

Instead, use the range of Ftilt, Utilt, jab, fsmash, Bair, and oos options to open him up. Also bait stuff with empty jumps and false approaches.

Definitely don't camp unless the situation calls for it.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think that's a good approach for most match-ups. As long as your character has multiple approach options [something Mario does] approaching seems to be more effective to me than camping. Just gotta be smart and mix it up!

:059:

Matt07

Smash Master
I'd really like to see some recent Marth vs Mario videos. I feel it's not that bad of a match-up, but the majority of you guys disagree.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
In my opinion, the Marth matchup comes entirely down to spacing. If he gets in there just right and starts whipping out fairs, there isn't much you can do but shield. Conversely, if you can mess up his delicate spacing, his attacks become alot less safe, and you can punish with bair. FLUDD is great in this regard. Fireballs are less useful than normal due to swatting, but they're good for catching him off guard on the ground and punishing offstage. Remember that reverse fsmash outranges his with proper timing.

boss8

Smash Hero
honestly people where forfeiting cause the game is pretty bad.....

it isnt balanced at all....haha like dnt think a mario will have a snowballs chance in hell winning a national......

idk if you guys knw how frustrating it is to play at a high level....

most people already have a higher tier character then you.....but thats not even the worst part....the worst part is they camp you -_-.....and your thinking to yourself (why are u camping a mario if your so pro?) or why are u camping me? your character already ***** me anyways....so it just makes things SOOOOOOOOO lame....teams is fun though...

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
most people already have a higher tier character then you....
If it wasn't for the people still clinging to Ganny and the Captain, you could pretty much say ALL people have a higher tier character than Mario. Or at least, everyone would have an advantage.

idk if you guys knw how frustrating it is to play at a high level....
It's just one reason I don't bother anymore. The main reason is that high level players tend to be hardcore *******s.

honestly people where forfeiting cause the game is pretty bad.....
There's no excuse for forfeiting, ever. These kids simply have no class. If the game is so uninteresting, then why enter at all?

Top Bottom