• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't Blink 2012: Why Are These Still Called Don't Blink... Editon!

Tink

Smash Hero
yo, DR pp isnt a good enough example loll.....we drive 4hours to play WI/MI players....he drives 4 hours and can play some of the EC/Souths best 0_o.....thats alot diff.....now someone like javi....thatttt guy came outta nowhere with very little pro players to train against.

Meneks

Smash Lord
^It makes the process a lot less time consuming, and probably more productive if people do have more opportunities to play good people

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
@Wayne; True, though PP mainly only traveled for tournaments. The skill levels in Kels' and PP's respective immediate scenes were quite different. In short, we have more to work with on a regular basis than he does. Have you seen him post on the Falco boards? lol He's always so sad that he only has his brother to play with and even he barely wants to play.

Also see KoreanDJ who says himself that he got good by "beating noobs". (basically what Frootloop said)

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I don't have to, but if I want to win I sure as hell have to play like a complete *** hat which I refuse to do. Call that a lack of passion I guess, I don't care enough to keep using needles until I can approach or they can't CC dash attack.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
If you're not going to play to win, you shouldn't complain when you lose. If you KNOW that there are things that you could be doing to increase your chances of winning and that your "pride" has handicapped you in previous sets, then I don't see how you can complain. It's a conscious decision. And that is not Melee or Brawl exclusive.

Rat

Smash Lord
Frootloop, could you elaborate on what you saw in the match between chris and I? Is it like an attitude thing? An approach to the game? I'm curious.

john!

Smash Hero
this thread got really ****ing ******** really fast

edit: i'm not going to share my opinion because honestly i know that some people will not even consider changing theirs

i will say that it's a bad idea to make judgments about large groups of people who have almost nothing in common

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't really like having to play 3 6:30 minute matches with a Samus and then have to play 6:30 minute matches with Peach. I play Sheik, but I don't like playing Sheik so much I don't play her like the ***-clown Kelly does.

Once my new main is ready, I won't need to play absolutely homo to beat Samus, Peach, Climbers, and Jiggs. Also, I go to tournaments to have fun and hang with cool people first, before Melee.
You should use Young Link on Jigglypuff.

If you're not going to play to win, you shouldn't complain when you lose. If you KNOW that there are things that you could be doing to increase your chances of winning and that your "pride" has handicapped you in previous sets, then I don't see how you can complain. It's a conscious decision. And that is not Melee or Brawl exclusive.
Why do I always agree with you?

Tink

Smash Hero
im guessing he saw a more refined approach that LE uses(and most pros)...just like, almost certain read/option covers that would result in no damage back to him if he actually missed it, but leads to obv. advantages....something like that! smarts! hes not even looking at whats coming at him, but a step ahead to the punish on their "escape".

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Why isn't MW as good as the coasts? It doesn't make sense to me. Why isn't there some sort of correlation between population size and number of amazing players.

Maybe MW is just too chill and friendly.
I think it's population density.
MW is spread too thin compared to the coasts. Traveling isn't as big of deal on the coasts so I bet they play more than us as well.

If that's not it, well, one of three HAS to be the least best if not worst.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Nice job Chris, you finally beat frank. Good stuff winning. The real question is, who won teams?

On a side note, the Chicago area really just needs to stop johning. I had to sort through 6 pages of johns to find results in this thread. It seems to get worse and worse every tournament.

Honestly, if there is any reason the midwest is "inferior" to the coasts, its the volume of johns. Just play to win in tourneys, learn from your losses, and correct your mistakes. There are too many people that need to win every match, or else they have a mental breakdown. The focus of these local tourneys should be getting better, rather than trying to out john each other in the results thread.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
You lose cuz you suck, not your seeding. Stfu and play to win, or whatever way you wanna play. If Kelly got last seed, you are damn sure he is still gonna win, so obviously seeds don't mean **** either. Nut up or shut up. Results page tonight.

Chris I got you next time. NO MORE EXCUSES.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
You lose cuz you suck, not your seeding. Stfu and play to win, or whatever way you wanna play. If Kelly got last seed, you are damn sure he is still gonna win, so obviously seeds don't mean **** either. Nut up or shut up. Results page tonight.

Chris I got you next time. NO MORE EXCUSES.
I like the play to win mentality, but I'm not having fun I'm not going to play. It's a game first to me. It's honestly just Sheik, for some reason I enjoy playing completely gay with any other character.

Little England

Smash Master
Honestly, if there is any reason the midwest is "inferior" to the coasts, its the volume of johns. Just play to win in tourneys, learn from your losses, and correct your mistakes. There are too many people that need to win every match, or else they have a mental breakdown. The focus of these local tourneys should be getting better, rather than trying to out john each other in the results thread.
It's seriously this simple.

Tink

Smash Hero
lolll....saying we lose compared to other coast because we john, is a john itself...huge johnz.

all coasts john allll the time...whether it be from not having the right controller(m2k+), and all of the coast smashers that get drunk beforehand/during 0_o, all kinds of johns the coasts throw out to say why they lost....mw is no diff from other areas.
we just john the best/loudest. were better then the other coasts in atleast one area =D

john!

Smash Hero
how can someone honestly think that people from the midwest are naturally more inclined to hate self-improvement and enjoy making excuses?

you guys really think it's a mass-mentality problem and not a problem based in something realistic like geography and population density?

ORLY

Smash Master
Lol @atma: he rescinded that later.

@Bzoo: as long as you don't suicide, it should be fun!

@Dungles: yeah, that was a good set. Kels and I won teams with Rat and TGD in second, then Frank and Quaz IIRC. Kels didn't stick around for singles.

EDIT: saving shout outs for results thread.

Little England

Smash Master
how can someone honestly think that people from the midwest are naturally more inclined to hate self-improvement and enjoy making excuses?
I believe a considerable amount of people in the chicagoland area especially blame their circumstances, character, etc. etc. for their performance rather than placing the blame on themselves. It's called taking responsibility.

you guys really think it's a mass-mentality problem and not a problem based in something realistic like geography and population density?
I'd contribute 90% of the problem to mentality, which is a problem just as "realistic" as geography or population density.

Rat

Smash Lord
So this:
1 - Seek improvement
2 - Be humble
3 - Kick ***

Not this:
1 - Kick ***
2 - Talk about it
3 - Lose

Edit: Personally, it's hard to not to get upset when money is on the line.

BzooTheBoss said:
You lose cuz you suck, not your seeding.
- I'm glad we didn't do pools as I had more time for friendlies, eating, and random rat stuff. I'd be happy to try a randomly seeded single elim bracket too.

Shout-outs to Oro and Zwarm for simultaneously running multiple events while providing a ton of different games and giving us a place to put all our behinds. There's a reason don't blink's have awesome attendance.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I personally like seeded brackets, whether it be by pools or general opinion. I think single elim would be bad, since I think a reason why smash tournaments have so much success is it's not a one and your out kind of thing, TCGs and other communities tend to see it that way too.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Shout-outs to Oro and Zwarm for simultaneously running multiple events while providing a ton of different games and giving us a place to put all our behinds. There's a reason don't blink's have awesome attendance.
Thank you, sir. Only a choice few who were there early enough know how much work we had to do to get those tables and chairs unlocked and onto the floor.

All for you guys though.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm gonna get more than 3-4 hours of sleep next time.

Had to stop a few times to get a lot of coffee on the way back, and it barely did anything.

Hindawg

Smash Journeyman
Without Kels I think Midwest would be hopeless, honestly that guy has beaten some top players and thats one of the main reasons we get any respect. Kage - MIST, Tope - Michigan, high placement at Apex + his performace at all the SMYMs (cept last year). Big House too he was murking on S2J in friendlies

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Glad to see you made it home anyway, Justin. You were kinda scaring me when you said you were tired at like 8.

Just got the TIO file. Working on the results thread now, guys.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I just couldn't do Brawl singles at that point, would have taken it too seriously and gotten mad at myself if I did something stupid.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
there were a lot of notable things about your set, but the one I was thinking of was how our gameplay was too focused on tactics and not enough on strategy. I think having a gameplan isn't emphasized at all and that it makes a world of difference.

There's loads to say about this but I'm bad and this is a tourney listing thread..

Top Bottom