• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does it Insult You When People Play Brawl Horribly?

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Well my bro yells at me b/c i don't use items on competitive matches (which he claims is a necessity to play to the game's fullest extent). We used to be equals until i learned how to play competitively from the internet. He also yells at me for playing a game competitively because it supposedly takes the fun out of it in which I make my point by comparing the game to a movie where playing casually is a comedy and competitively is an action movie. If my preference is an action movie does he have the right to yell at me? NO! He's still a level beyond decent but i can beat him with relative ease. To answer your question though i feel a little annoyed when someone uses a certain character's move that looks cool and is strong (usually chargable moves such as samus's charged shot, lucario's aura sphere, etc) and think that they're uber strong because of it. My friend irl thought he was better than me because he used ike and he thought he would pwn me. I asked him if he even used his shield and he said " No i don't need it" which confirmed that i would beat him. After i won he was astonished and started to train with sonic. After a month he once again challenged me and claimed he could beat me but i sadly beat him again. I found it hilarious but it didn't annoy me because he was decent and hadn't played the game for long. But on ANYONE matches i am annoyed by the many people who use ike's smashes, pikachu's b and down b, pit's arrows, and etc. Sadly i cannot to anything because of the lag, ffa mayhem, and etc

Smash Apprentice
I'm more semi-amused. Especially after wiping the floor with them.

"I have the best Falco ever!" gets on my nerves, especially when they don't know things like shdl, or even sh.

smashking06

Smash Rookie
It does get me pissed of every once in a while. especially is they start bragging and saying things like i could beat anyone. especially hate it when i play a marth. they tell me" marth is the best and you cant beat me when i use him".
So when ever I see some one playing any smash game horribly I either help them if they are cool ppl or beat the crap out of them if they are cocky.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
no not at all.we all use to be n00bs once,just give them time to become good.unless its mk,if you suck with him then yes.

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
as my friend says. theres not greater joy in life than to beat a small child who thinks hes good

Steel Knight

Smash Rookie
If the person is a newb, the ones who seek help and know their place after being taken down a peg or ten, I'm not bothered.

If it's a n00b, however, that says "I can beat anyone with *Character*!" repeatedly after being destroyed for the fifth time when using said character, then I get irritated and strike him down with his character when he uses it.

It's not so much that they're bad. It's that they are *******s with large egos that spawned because they beat a Lv9 CPU when it killed itself with an explosive. Not everyone is like this, fortunately.

And of course, I kill the delusions of cocky kids while I'm at it. And rub it in because I'm a cruel and heartless *******.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I can 3 stock 3 lvl 9s on a team effortlessly but I still think I'm a noob. The people that bother me are the so called "pros in the making" who suck but have huge egos cause they can beat other noobs. This one guy was surrounded by noobs and always beat them but his ego got too large and then he tried going to tornament thinking he'd at least place, I tried to warn him that the people around him sucked but he didn't listen. He got ***** bad at the tornament and I haven't really seen him play brawl all that much since.

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
Woah, woah, woah. Newbie =/= noob. Newbies are those cute, innocent players that don't know much about the game, while noobs are ignorant and you just wanna slap in the face. Don't compare newbies to noobs D:, newbies are lovable. And children...sheesh, I love kids and would never mock a child who thinks they're playing! That's horrible!

I don't get bothered by people who play Brawl badly. We all have our own ways of playing. Heck, it might be part of their secret strategy to suddenly blow you away. I do admit to not being a very good player, and other new players grabbing the controller for their first time and struggling while the others mock them make me sad. :[ And even if I lose against a newbie, it's cool, since Brawl was made for everyone to have some sort of chance at winning.

What obviously bothers and insults me is when people insult newbie players or those not as good/not aware of tourney rules. I'm having a hard time adjusting to "no items, neutral" when someone asks me to play that style. I remember when I was younger and playing Melee, I was asking my cousin why we were only playing at Final Destination and where all the items went, and he was like "items are cheap". I got sorta insulted at that, since I LOVE using items, even if I lose the match.

I also get insulted when someone uses my favorite character and takes the color palette I want. >:[ That really riles me up for a match lol.

LÉØN

Smash Cadet
most people online either taunt or mess around, and usually pk thunder is way harder to control online with even the slightest lag

kATAlyst

Smash Apprentice
it never bothers me, if they know theyre a noob and get 3stocked to learn more and get better.

if they claim theyre good just beat them hard, and use as many broken tactics, spikes, edgehogs, ATs, and stage spikes you know to shut them up. nothing says u suck more than getting gimped at 20%

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I feel insulted because when they lose they say "I just lost because (insert excuse here)"

basically I get "Ness is rigged" "That stage doesnt count" "You spam (insert move)too much" "You play Brawl too much" " edgehogging is gay" "(insert character) will always lose to Ness" My brother plays Falco and im not saying falco has a glaring advantage but its not like Ness will always beat him. He says the same about Pit...

etc.etc.

I like my lil bro though. Probably the coolest young smasher.Hes 8 and can beat lvl 9s. Of course he gets owned by actual people but one time I went to a tourney and he wanted to play friendlys. Of course he got creamed(mostly 3 stocked...haha) but at least he didnt make up excuses and he used it to learn.

I also hate it when people DONT WANT TO ****ING LEARN!!!

I try to ****ing help people get better but they wont even try. One time i was trying to help my older bro get better at Falco`s chain grab and I was trying to tell him what to do, he would just fsmash me randomly and other crap and I died. So hes like "HAHAHAHAHAH I WIN!" and it wasnt even a real match AT ALL....

Nah, I dont feel insulted. Just pissed sometimes.

Starwarrior27

Smash Apprentice
I don't feel insulted when I play against someone who's bad. As long as they don't have a big ego and think that they're going to win the match before it starts, then it's fine with me.

In fact, if I'm playing against a weaker person, then I try to teach them, not win by a huge margin. I think that they just need more practice, or don't know their current level, so they play against people who are good to find out where they are. If they have a big ego, then I don't try to crush it, I just try to put it in perspective for them, by winning by a small margin.

I don't think that it's right to crush the dreams of people who are new to the game. Give them a chance to learn.

5ive

Smash Champion
Yes. Especially when I see people who think they are good, I get really ...um annoyed. It just makes me want to challenge them.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Am I insulted? No. I have sympathy for those who aren't as good as I am. I know I'm not the best player in the world, either, so it would be arrogant of me to say, "You're a terrible player. Go and learn or just don't play at all." Reading how to play and watching videos only goes so far. It's the experience that you gain. Besides, this Lucas you spoke of, do you know if he had the game for a short time? What if he never played as Lucas and was trying him out? I think it's unfair to feel insulted because of how someone plays, and if they don't play as well as you do. I think it's arrogant.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
I don't feel insulted, I'm just annoyed when people think they are good when they are not. There was this guy at my old school who thought that he was the best at Melee and that no one could beat him. Then, on the last day of school, someone brought in their Gamecube and I completely destroyed this person. The good thing was, that he actually learned his lesson, unlike some others who simply yell "cheap" or some other random john.

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
No...

On the other hand, I'm insulted when I lose too much. Especially if my opponent defeats me when using my main and it isn't even their main.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
It never bothers me idc i just might help them get better... Cuz I mean u need to get pwned to get better. Well some people do like me.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
No...

On the other hand, I'm insulted when I lose too much. Especially if my opponent defeats me when using my main and it isn't even their main.
I know how you feel. I think, "What? You're going to try to defeat me with Samus, a character you don't even play as?" I was in Basic Brawl tonight, and there was this person who was playing as a certain character. I forgot who it was. So, this person decides to play as Samus, because I'm Samus. He/She tried to look better than me. If we did one-on-one, I am certain that person would feel the wrath of my Samus. Pfft. You can't win with z-air alone.

Agi

Smash Lord
The only thing that insults me is when people ONLY use spam projectiles. (Here's lookin at you, Pit.)
When I play my little brother when he's Pit, he always chooses FD... His strategy: B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->F-Smash->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->F-Smash->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->F-Smash->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->F-Smash->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Eventually, i just play as Fox and kill him... man, our fights are so boring..

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The only thing that insults me is when people ONLY use spam projectiles. (Here's lookin at you, Pit.)
When I play my little brother when he's Pit, he always chooses FD... His strategy: B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->F-Smash->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->F-Smash->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->F-Smash->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->B->F-Smash->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"->"The Fight is On!"
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Eventually, i just play as Fox and kill him... man, our fights are so boring..
There's no crime in spamming. Your brother is setting up a wall for you to get around. If you can't get around it, and if it works, why should he stop? Of course, there are other ways of winning besides using Palutena's Arrow every time. Your brother would benefit in using his arrows in his gameplay, but not spamming it.

Here's what I find insulting. It's when I can't win with my main, but my alternative. I don't ever feel satisfaction if I can't win against someone with with my main.

Agi

Smash Lord
There's no crime in spamming. Your brother is setting up a wall for you to get around. If you can't get around it, and if it works, why should he stop? Of course, there are other ways of winning besides using Palutena's Arrow every time. Your brother would benefit in using his arrows in his gameplay, but not spamming it.
Yeah, but my main is Shiek... I have no idea how to counter. The arrows just keep coming... at least with Toon Link, I have a shield... meh. I'll just change my character according to my opponent.

Loops

Smash Apprentice
In semi's of this tournament i killed this ike's *** and he went into his own crew and started calling me an edge hogger cause i gimped him with meta and i was playing defensively it was almost a 3 stock, then my crew and i ended up winning the tourney with us coming all first, second, and third.
I love showing them who's boss.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Yeah, but my main is Shiek... I have no idea how to counter. The arrows just keep coming... at least with Toon Link, I have a shield... meh. I'll just change my character according to my opponent.
Sheik, huh? Here's a tip for you. Simply hold down on the analog stick and move toward your brother while he fires his arrows away. If I understand this correctly, the arrows will not hit you. Instead, they'll fly over you.

Agi

Smash Lord
Sheik, huh? Here's a tip for you. Simply hold down on the analog stick and move toward your brother while he fires his arrows away. If I understand this correctly, the arrows will not hit you. Instead, they'll fly over you.
(Insert your own headsmack emote here)

Actually, I remember doing that... On my first day owning the game... with Pikachu. Thanks for the tip, really appreciated. (So embarrassing losing to your younger brother who only knows 5 moves.)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
(Insert your own headsmack emote here)

Actually, I remember doing that... On my first day owning the game... with Pikachu. Thanks for the tip, really appreciated. (So embarrassing losing to your younger brother who only knows 5 moves.)
Don't worry about it. :)

RageofNidhogg

Smash Rookie
Uhmmm... no it doesn't bother me when people play badly. Not everyone plays Smash a lot. There a are a lot of people who just play it in a party setting. I mean, I personally like it better when I'm playing someone who knows what they're doing because I don't like just beating up on people, but if they're not good at videogames I can't really blame them. They just don't play Smash a lot. There's no problem with that.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
Chill the hell out, its only online, in a twominute unranked lag-licious party game in which plenty of 10 year olds love to play. It's like getting pissed off over a tic-tac-toe game or Rock Paper Sissors.

Toadsanime

Smash Journeyman
UK, England (We got Brawl late. Get over it.)
Does it insult me when people play Brawl horribly...?
No, of course it doesn't. Everyone has to start playing at some point, therefore they'll probably begin off bad.
What does insult me, however, is people whom play Brawl horribly and then act as if they didn't to everyone else.

Ekudd

Smash Rookie
Nope, got no problem with that. I just hate when ppl team up in basic brawl.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
it doesn't really bother me, I just think to myself "if you lose - you lack skill/knowledge of the character, I hope you understand that, little ones.", but this is a bit different, my broter whos older than me, whenever I totally own him, he'll just say "you cheated" or "that was a test" and when he wins (and to be honest, which is basically 8/10 he'll lose, even if I play as yoshi...), he'll say "i'll leave as the champion". when he says "you cheated", it's basically when I edgehogged him, and then he falls to his doom, I'll respond to "you could do that aswell, it's not hard", I can tolerate that, but it still annoys me inside

Binx

Smash Master
I get annoyed when someone who is complete garbage at the game posts a video claiming they are some pro and they suck balls, there was one where they imitate ken and wes back in melee and it was a decent match, at least that had some tech skill, but most of them are a bunch of roll spammers.

I like it when people think they are good and then I own them, usually they want me to teach them and I am more than happy to do so.

Dragonslayer9

Smash Cadet
Why would someone playing horrible at a video game insult me? Everyone needs practice once in a while. I would gladly show them how to play the game by beating them, thats pretty much how I learn.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Ehh yea it dont bother me either I dont mind it. If there having fun I am too so well hell.

zaf

Smash Lord
It actually does bother me. Recently i went to Montreal otakuthon tournament. I was probably the only meta knight player there. Everyone just said i was a spammy noob. I was like wtf, they didn't understand a thing about meta knight.

Also there was this really dumb guy claiming to be the best, but he didnt even know falco or dedede could chain grab. He kept telling me that dedede could wave dash. He said he would beat me horribly but when it came around to his first match he was out. He wouldnt money match my friend saying we were too poor and it just was frustrating to here all this smack coming from a total noob.

There were 43 contestants in the tourney and like another 50 people watching. and ill say it again, i was the only mk

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
Yes, it kinda does. I mean, the average 10-year old Ike is no problem, but it's annoying when they think that Ike is the best character in the game, and I end up 3-stocking them with Capt. Falcon. I also REALLY hate when I see a Kirby, and all they do is Stone in the air. Sometimes, it just makes me wish that Brawl had a ranking system so it pairs you up with the appropriate people. But I guess it can't be helped. 10-year olds are 10-year olds. >_>

Top Bottom