• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else actually enjoy SSE?

Rikter

Smash Cadet
SSE was just running through crappy stages fighting crappy enemies just to unlock characters quicker.

It felt like playing the game without the fun to be honest.

Bynine

Smash Cadet
I thought the cutscenes were interesting and the gameplay was fun. But the Great Maze sucked.

Blissard

Smash Lord
I found the cutscenes boring as hell and always skipped them. It was alright, though its somewhat frustrating, and very repetitive. The primids repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and repeat and ...etc

I hated how some characters had such an advantage/disadvantage in there too.

Pez55

Smash Apprentice
I thought it was pretty cool...until the great maze that is :ohwell:

Waggle

Smash Rookie
Can someone explain to me why everyone hates the Great Maze? It was my favourite part.

I also quite enjoyed the story, or at least the way Nintendo somehow avoided making it sound like a fan fiction...

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
SSE makes me extremely sad. From the way it is built, it looks like half the team put a ton of effort into it, while the other half did not. While the cut scenes are awesome, and the stages 'try' to be diverse as possible, the game is still too repetitive.

I guess it's best to start with the backstory. IT DOESN'T EXIST. Coming into the game, I had expectations that Subspace would explain why all my favorite Nintendo characters are here in one place and how the world works. Well... it did part of that. It showed that when characters die in the smash world, they turn into trophies, that can be restored by touching their base. (though the first time I saw this, I thought they were sharing stock lol) Ok, well that's nice, but why are all the Nintendo characters in one realm? You don't get to find out. It never explains it.

Another problem is the appearance of the smashverse. I could have sworn that all the vs stages were based off of other video games and not just generic canyon/forest/cave/etc., so naturally I figured that the smashverse in the story would also be a mesh of all the different video game universes. So, why does Subspace look like a deserted continent? There's no pipes or gorons or pokemon cities or much of really anything. This is at least something that Melee's Adventure capitalized on. Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much better.

Now to talk about the plot itself. At this point in time, the players haven't been given any idea of what this world is about or it's history. I know I sound like I'm repeating myself, but the point I'm trying to make is that instead of establishing a basic story for smash bros, the story sounds more like a sequel. I thought they would explain Master Hand's role in the smashverse; basically give story to what happens in N64 or Melee. Instead, we are treated as if we understand how the Masterhand works and.. what's this? Tabuu?! Well, who the heck is he? That's a good question. Who is he? Why does he want to live in the smashverse anyways? It's as bland as subspace itself, so it beats me... and why can he control Master Hand who is essentially the god of the smashverse? Remember, according to trophy data and cut scenes from N64/Melee, the Master Hand is actually a child, and the whole world is a bunch of toys/trophies that come to life with imagination. So, I guess Tabuu could be the outside factors or evils that a kid or teen have conflicts with, but once again, we don't know for sure. Knowing Sakurai, Tabuu is just 'somebody'. :\

Alright, now onto the level designs. They're way too long. I couldn't throw a number out to quote how long it takes because it's been too long since I played, and I don't want to play through again to find it. This really really hurts the replay value of the story mode. After completing everything, players rarely want to play large chunks of the game ever again, and instead enjoy playing a small portion for fun. Making the players play a lot when they want to play a little can make them just not want to tackle another stage.

And considering how long they are, it would be nice to have a bit more variety in the way the places look. I mean, technically there is variety, but the ratio is all wrong. First, we get half the game being a forest or some variation there of where the background is full of trees or is a giant body of water. Then we get a few stages that are cool like the abandoned city, the castle, the space ship, and the Halberd. There was just no need for the number of forest stages that exist. On top of that, instead of creating an exciting last world, we get the Great Maze. That's right! The last world is just a mesh of older stages. Because nothing beats playing bad stages more than getting to play them all together at once!

One thing I believe they could have done to make the stages is better is to make stages character specific. Because there are 39 different characters (counting transformations of all) in the game that are playable on every stage, the level designers are given no room to create effective stages that feel like they were built to fit the mechanics of the character you're playing. It just couldn't be done. However, by limiting the characters that could be played per stage, you could create more puzzles that take advantage of the individual traits of the characters. In example, they could have colored panels that Olimar has to hit with the correct pikman, or they could make a section that requires a lot of flying for Pit or Metaknight. Link could also do a lot of puzzles by moving objects with the boomerang and grappling onto hard to reach areas with his hookshot. Lot's of potential to be explored, but most of it missed due to some upper level decisions.

This also applies to bosses as well who were also generic in design. I mean sure they looked neat and bizarre, but you beat them by just attacking them any way you can and simply avoid their attacks. The most interesting bosses were Metal Ridley because of his ship sinking shenanigan and Tabuu because he has a bunch of "Omegaholyyou'regonnadie" moves, which fit the final boss. Using the same examples for individual character stages, you could have bosses with color coded openings for pikman, or have a sky battle as metaknight/pit with the boss, or make the boss a puzzle for Link to solve.

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
SSE makes me extremely sad. From the way it is built, it looks like half the team put a ton of effort into it, while the other half did not. While the cut scenes are awesome, and the stages 'try' to be diverse as possible, the game is still too repetitive.

I guess it's best to start with the backstory. IT DOESN'T EXIST. Coming into the game, I had expectations that Subspace would explain why all my favorite Nintendo characters are here in one place and how the world works. Well... it did part of that. It showed that when characters die in the smash world, they turn into trophies, that can be restored by touching their base. (though the first time I saw this, I thought they were sharing stock lol) Ok, well that's nice, but why are all the Nintendo characters in one realm? You don't get to find out. It never explains it.

Another problem is the appearance of the smashverse. I could have sworn that all the vs stages were based off of other video games and not just generic canyon/forest/cave/etc., so naturally I figured that the smashverse in the story would also be a mesh of all the different video game universes. So, why does Subspace look like a deserted continent? There's no pipes or gorons or pokemon cities or much of really anything. This is at least something that Melee's Adventure capitalized on. Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much better.

Now to talk about the plot itself. At this point in time, the players haven't been given any idea of what this world is about or it's history. I know I sound like I'm repeating myself, but the point I'm trying to make is that instead of establishing a basic story for smash bros, the story sounds more like a sequel. I thought they would explain Master Hand's role in the smashverse; basically give story to what happens in N64 or Melee. Instead, we are treated as if we understand how the Masterhand works and.. what's this? Tabuu?! Well, who the heck is he? That's a good question. Who is he? Why does he want to live in the smashverse anyways? It's as bland as subspace itself, so it beats me... and why can he control Master Hand who is essentially the god of the smashverse? Remember, according to trophy data and cut scenes from N64/Melee, the Master Hand is actually a child, and the whole world is a bunch of toys/trophies that come to life with imagination. So, I guess Tabuu could be the outside factors or evils that a kid or teen have conflicts with, but once again, we don't know for sure. Knowing Sakurai, Tabuu is just 'somebody'. :\

Alright, now onto the level designs. They're way too long. I couldn't throw a number out to quote how long it takes because it's been too long since I played, and I don't want to play through again to find it. This really really hurts the replay value of the story mode. After completing everything, players rarely want to play large chunks of the game ever again, and instead enjoy playing a small portion for fun. Making the players play a lot when they want to play a little can make them just not want to tackle another stage.

And considering how long they are, it would be nice to have a bit more variety in the way the places look. I mean, technically there is variety, but the ratio is all wrong. First, we get half the game being a forest or some variation there of where the background is full of trees or is a giant body of water. Then we get a few stages that are cool like the abandoned city, the castle, the space ship, and the Halberd. There was just no need for the number of forest stages that exist. On top of that, instead of creating an exciting last world, we get the Great Maze. That's right! The last world is just a mesh of older stages. Because nothing beats playing bad stages more than getting to play them all together at once!

One thing I believe they could have done to make the stages is better is to make stages character specific. Because there are 39 different characters (counting transformations of all) in the game that are playable on every stage, the level designers are given no room to create effective stages that feel like they were built to fit the mechanics of the character you're playing. It just couldn't be done. However, by limiting the characters that could be played per stage, you could create more puzzles that take advantage of the individual traits of the characters. In example, they could have colored panels that Olimar has to hit with the correct pikman, or they could make a section that requires a lot of flying for Pit or Metaknight. Link could also do a lot of puzzles by moving objects with the boomerang and grappling onto hard to reach areas with his hookshot. Lot's of potential to be explored, but most of it missed due to some upper level decisions.

This also applies to bosses as well who were also generic in design. I mean sure they looked neat and bizarre, but you beat them by just attacking them any way you can and simply avoid their attacks. The most interesting bosses were Metal Ridley because of his ship sinking shenanigan and Tabuu because he has a bunch of "Omegaholyyou'regonnadie" moves, which fit the final boss. Using the same examples for individual character stages, you could have bosses with color coded openings for pikman, or have a sky battle as metaknight/pit with the boss, or make the boss a puzzle for Link to solve.
Agree 100%. But what do you mean making stages Character Specific? You played on The Halberd, on Summit, Castle Siege, etc.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Agree 100%. But what do you mean making stages Character Specific? You played on The Halberd, on Summit, Castle Siege, etc.
I think they meant that stages should've been built around the mechanics of the individual characters needed for the stage, so that it could've utilized the character's distinct attacks/abilities for more puzzle making :dizzy:

TehWeirdDood

Smash Rookie
I'm going to echo most everybody else here and say I didn't really enjoy the great maze. It's like a new form of backtracking! "Yay"? And yeah, SSE didn't really have anything to do with ANY of the characters. Why do we find all of those characters doing what they are doing there? Why is Snake infiltrating the Halberd? Why is G&W in command of the Halberd? No explanation whatsoever.
And this may be just me, but it kind of took away from the joy of unlocking new characters. You knew you could unlock all the characters through SSE alone, so why bother playing other modes before completing it? May as well have all characters available before starting a match, right?
I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it first time through, but looking back... it could've been better.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I like how nintendo (sakurai) explained it on the smash dojo, some of you musta missed it.
SSB is a one way pools of avalon (multiverse crossroad place) 'specially in SSBB. I loved the story, and how Marth was portrayed as a hero/pwner... and diddy kong riding in the arwing with Falco. :bee:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I liked the cutscense, and watching other characters interact with each other, especially any cutscene with Falcon. Although this quote says it all:
3. The rivalries and relationships in each characters' respective world (and real life in certain cases) don't carry over to SSE. I would like to see some classic rivalries portrayed with SSE's great cinematics. Mario vs. Sonic action would've been a GREAT spur in the Nintendo-Sega rivalry, for example.
One thing I don't like is how the gravity of things is altered. A short-hop in SSE is shorter than a Short-hop in Vs. mode and you can't autocancel some airials.:ohwell:

I will say it was fun the first time around. Really great.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Is it just me or did Falco's heroic entrance looked exactly like Yuna's from FFX-2?
I mean...where did Falco's second gun go?!

Anyway, SSE was enjoyable the first time around. It's funner when you play with a friend if you wanna play it again, but to me it seemed like a one-time thing. I did enjoy the cut scenes though.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
The Subspace Emissary was awesome the first time (The Great Maze was tedious, confusing, and disorienting at first, but tolerable). The second time I played it was to unlock Toon Link, Wolf, and *grumbles*...Jigglypuff.

The third time I played it, I wanted to begin my run of "crowning" each level, but that has turned out to be very frustrating for now, so I switched my goal to unlocking all the SSE's alternate cutscenes, not those "one-time special event" ones near the end (my first alternate scene was Kirby beats Mario)...

After unlocking all the cutscenes, my goal will probably be crowning each and every level, followed by either playing through SSE's higher difficulties *gulps* or beginning my grand SSE Trophy Journey (which is going to be a pain in the butt, especially on bosses). The Trophy Journey is when I'm going to start applying stickers. (I know they make the SSE easier and up the amount of trophy drops, but I'm still wary because I heard of a glitch where a certain sticker is only available twice; after that it's LOST FOREVER!)

But yeah, the SSE seems like a chore now... On my Alternate Cutscene Run, I've made it to the Skyworld-esque stages and the mode is already boring... *sighs* I believe the mode would be great when played once every few weeks/months...

As for the plot, I felt Toon Link and Wolf should have played some role in the story (with Sonic gaining an expanded role; screw Jiggly)... The Space vs. Subspace concept is very intriguing... Mario vs. Sonic and Link startled by/challenging Toon Link would have been pretty nice to see in action.

And that whole online explanation thing is dampening... While it makes for a more coherent story, it should have been included in-game (yet another reason why the Masterpieces, though interesting in theory, should have been axed)! I'd rather play through a complete story mode than sample some 1:00 demos where I can barely enjoy the game being demonstrated...

Lastly, Link and Ike were the beasts in that mode! Did you see how fast they run in the cutscenes in comparison to the actual game? :D

I'd definitely go for a SSE-esque mode in SSB4 (albeit a bit shorter) with additional "stages" that cater to the strengths of certain characters... :)

Ct.O.B.

Smash Apprentice
The Subspace Emissary was awesome the first time (The Great Maze was tedious, confusing, and disorienting at first, but tolerable). The second time I played it was to unlock Toon Link, Wolf, and *grumbles*...Jigglypuff.

The third time I played it, I wanted to begin my run of "crowning" each level, but that has turned out to be very frustrating for now, so I switched my goal to unlocking all the SSE's alternate cutscenes, not those "one-time special event" ones near the end (my first alternate scene was Kirby beats Mario)...

After unlocking all the cutscenes, my goal will probably be crowning each and every level, followed by either playing through SSE's higher difficulties *gulps* or beginning my grand SSE Trophy Journey (which is going to be a pain in the butt, especially on bosses). The Trophy Journey is when I'm going to start applying stickers. (I know they make the SSE easier and up the amount of trophy drops, but I'm still wary because I heard of a glitch where a certain sticker is only available twice; after that it's LOST FOREVER!)

But yeah, the SSE seems like a chore now... On my Alternate Cutscene Run, I've made it to the Skyworld-esque stages and the mode is already boring... *sighs* I believe the mode would be great when played once every few weeks/months...

As for the plot, I felt Toon Link and Wolf should have played some role in the story (with Sonic gaining an expanded role; screw Jiggly)... The Space vs. Subspace concept is very intriguing... Mario vs. Sonic and Link startled by/challenging Toon Link would have been pretty nice to see in action.

And that whole online explanation thing is dampening... While it makes for a more coherent story, it should have been included in-game (yet another reason why the Masterpieces, though interesting in theory, should have been axed)! I'd rather play through a complete story mode than sample some 1:00 demos where I can barely enjoy the game being demonstrated...

Lastly, Link and Ike were the beasts in that mode! Did you see how fast they run in the cutscenes in comparison to the actual game? :D

I'd definitely go for a SSE-esque mode in SSB4 (albeit a bit shorter) with additional "stages" that cater to the strengths of certain characters... :)
Toon Link deserved more recognition in SSE definitely, considering between Melee and Brawl came the first TLink Games. Wolf like, NEEDED, to be in it because he's a villain, and while an infinite army coming from a black sausage flinger (anyone who's read the online stuff knows that would be Game & Watch) does make up for it in part, another main-series villain would've helped the plot.

The online explanation was a HUGE help to me, because going into my first game of SSE, I was pretty much clueless as to what it was about. The fact that they would be afraid to overdo the plot explanation like that and expect people to INFER what was happening when they went to play is surprising. And as for Masterpieces... Well...

More in-depth plot > Playing 40 seconds of F-Zero.

Your last two statements are win. 'Nuff said. They should make an adventure mode that reminds me that SSB is -pretty much-
A tubby red-wearing plumber, a curious green elf, a cannibalistic pink puffball, and an electric mouse all facing off with each other and their buddies for the heck of it. In other words,
a rip-snorting joyfest.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Switchin' an' hatin' approaching.

I like how
"The rivalries and relationships in each characters' respective world (and real life in certain cases) don't carry over to SSE. I would like to see some classic rivalries portrayed with SSE's great cinematics. Mario vs. Sonic action would've been a GREAT spur in the Nintendo-Sega rivalry, for example."
So I could switch a couple of words around, right?
The rivalries and relationships in each characters' respective world (and real life in certain cases) don't carry over to SSE. I would like to see some [NEW RELATIONSHIPS] portrayed with SSE's great cinematics. [MarthxZelda] action would've been a GREAT[, seeing as link has no relation with zelda and marth has no relation with sheeda, to] spur in the [MarthxZelda-ZeldaxLAMENK (contraction of lame and Link)] rivalry, for example[!!1!!1oneshift!!1!1one!11!!]

Ct.O.B.

Smash Apprentice
I like how
"The rivalries and relationships in each characters' respective world (and real life in certain cases) don't carry over to SSE. I would like to see some classic rivalries portrayed with SSE's great cinematics. Mario vs. Sonic action would've been a GREAT spur in the Nintendo-Sega rivalry, for example."
So I could switch a couple of words around, right?
The rivalries and relationships in each characters' respective world (and real life in certain cases) don't carry over to SSE. I would like to see some [NEW RELATIONSHIPS] portrayed with SSE's great cinematics. [MarthxZelda] action would've been a GREAT[, seeing as link has no relation with zelda and marth has no relation with sheeda, to] spur in the [MarthxZelda-ZeldaxLAMENK (contraction of lame and Link)] rivalry, for example[!!1!!1oneshift!!1!1one!11!!]
Don't be hatin', it's just an opinion. I actually think that the MarthxZelda-LinkxZelda thing could be funny. And don't start hating on me for agreeing with you on that.

By the way, learn to flame. You won't get anywhere by trying to piss people off by quoting them without credit, or stuff.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Don't be hatin', it's just an opinion. I actually think that the MarthxZelda-LinkxZelda thing could be funny. And don't start hating on me for agreeing with you on that.

By the way, learn to flame. You won't get anywhere by trying to piss people off by quoting them without credit, or stuff.
Sorry, I had the title as to say I would be flamed soon by people who hate Marth. I've been here for a while and whenever I try to quote, i became too lazy and give up. Credits for you go here now then!

Ct.O.B.

Smash Apprentice
Let's let everyone think what they want to think about each character.

Marth, along with all the swordsmen in SSE, is epic. He looks a tad bit too feminine, but I'm not about to call him a flaming homo.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Yeah I wished Marth was more accurate to his Fire Emblem appearance. His power in the SSE was horribly nerfed :( But yes, all opinions are correct
, some more correct than others.

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
On my first time through the SSE, I had a great time, but I think some of it was due to playing it with my bro, a friend, and his bro, and whenever we would die or beat a level, we'd pass the controller. We also used 1 Gamecube and 1 Wiimote, so that was interesting. Now I've played through about 3-4 times for various reasons (losing all the data on my Wii, getting a second Wii, etc.), and I can say that it's only really fun either the first time, or with friends. My favorite moments were Captain Falcon killing those Pikmin (not the actual act, but Falcon's apparent disregard for what he just did), and Snake's "Kept you waiting, huh?" which, IIRC, is the only spoken line in the whole SSE. I also enjoyed the Great Maze the first time, but on any playthrough afterward, it was a big bother.

A few things I didn't like was that if the difficulty was not Normal or below, it was way too much of a hassle to beat, especially with the different-than-standard-Brawl physics. I also don't like the sticker idea. It's okay, but I almost would rather a sorta level-up system, where after killing a certain number of baddies, you can increase each character's parameters. Also, if there's a part of the story that wasn't told for whatever reason, I think they should put the rest in-game instead of on the website. I didn't even know about that until just now.

Also, this has been stated, but I think it would've been cool if certain character's had gotten a fight in the story mode, like if Mario and Sonic saw each other early in the adventure, and they stare at each other with a "I wanna fight you" look in their eyes, before continuing on their way. Then later, they fight in a way like when Mario fought Link, because of a misunderstanding, or something like that.

I would enjoy it if they made another story mode in the next Smash game, but it should be less repetitive, and have more character interaction than just "Let's fight," or "Let's team up." I like the idea of that romance thing, I think that'd be pretty funny to watch.

byron

Smash Apprentice
The SSE was fun to play the first time around because for the first time super smash bros had a STORY. The great maze was a pain in the @$$ because u have to check you map every 3 seconds so u don't get lost. I'm very lazy and didn't put alot of stickers on people so bosses were hard. is another way to unlock all the fighters in the game. its very simple.
u go to special brawl,pick stamina mode, set your health to 1%, then place the flower item on your head that drains health. I forgot what its called but it pops up every time puff rests u.
when the match starts the flower will drain your health but because u put it to 1% the match will be over in like 1 second. do this 400 times and you will unlock everybody.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
The cutscenes and animation is definitely the most enjoyable part for me. Doing the action game was boring playing by yourself and it was slightly more fun when co-oping.
I think the only fail to SSE was the action game when doing it by yourself really, otherwise it wasn't all that bad.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
No, not really, should of been more Nintendo referances, and less plotholes, sooo many plotholes. Nice graphics though. And nice amount of bias -_-.. I mean, come on, no mario bros team level even in the game?

Just that the fact that the guy who writes Final Fantasy wrote this is why it shoulfa been better, FF storylines are quite well written.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
Brawl would have been so much better, in my opinion, if they just took out SSE + stickers, and used the memory to make more characters and stages. I don't think most people would disagree with me, either. ;)

Doku8888

Smash Rookie
I must be crazy, because I've played SSE over so many times and I still enjoy it. Every difficulty level 1-p, easy and normal co-op. I loved the graphics, loved the cut-scenes, and enjoyed the game play. My only regret about it is that Sonic, Wolf, Jigglypufff, And Toon Link didn't get very good parts....

Top Bottom