• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else actually enjoy SSE?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I actually liked it. Key word: Liked. I thought it became dull and boring after the 2nd play-through
I thought it had vast replayability, but this might be because I have a vast imagination.
And me I love the Great Maze. there's a sense of accomplishment when you find your way to the next save room.
The fact that it's when you finally get to pick and play whoever you want, after you go and save them, it really feels like the ultimate Viva La Resistance team-up operation to track down find and end Tabuu.
Unless you want to play Sonic, Toon Link, Wolf, or Jigglypuff. :p

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
I thought it had vast replayability, but this might be because I have a vast imagination.

Unless you want to play Sonic, Toon Link, Wolf, or Jigglypuff. :p
Got me there.
Though there's no reason you can't go back and complete the maze 100% once you have Sonic, Toon Link, Wolf and Jigglypuff!

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
I also gotta commend SSE for being the one place in the game the Stickers are Useful.
Stickers are actually more useful than trophies, but the fact that they only work in the SSE kinda dampers that.

Customizations in Smash 4 are just an improved reincarnation of Stickers.
If Customizations were the same as they are now, just With the artwork attached to them, I'd be So satisfied.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
go over Samus' icon, and press the button. It should change to Zero Suit Samus. Same with the Pokémon Trainer. (It allows you to start as Squirtle or Ivysaur instead of Charizard.)
Thanks. I'll see if it works later.

EDIT 1: Didn't work. u lied 2 meh.
EDIT 2: it works on Nunchuck, but my preferred controller isn't doing it.
EDIT 3: It's the Right analog... To quote a famous villain, "Well that was a stupid design."

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I LOVED IT. I wish Smash 4 had something of the sort. My wife and I played through it together and it was a blast.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
It was really awesome! I wished they had in ssb4 but Sakurai-San said that it couldn't happen :c

カワシさん

It was really awesome! I wished they had in ssb4 but Sakurai-San said that it couldn't happen :c
I second this.
Apparently according to 桜井さん he didn't make a subspace emissary-style mode because he didn't want people uploading clips to Youtube. :/
Also in my opinion, it would have been a lot of work to come up with a plot and not make it too long due to the sheer number of characters. I still would of loved at least a Melee-styled adventure mode, although something like SSE would of been even better.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
I second this.
Apparently according to 桜井さん he didn't make a subspace emissary-style mode because he didn't want people uploading clips to Youtube. :/
Also in my opinion, it would have been a lot of work to come up with a plot and not make it too long due to the sheer number of characters. I still would of loved at least a Melee-styled adventure mode, although something like SSE would of been even better.
100% Agree

カワシさん

100% Agree
Also, I never really got why SSE gets all of this hate. I mean sure it was long but to me that was a very minor issue. The whole thing was a blast, and it really paid off since you got to unlock trophies, stickers and characters using this game mode, plus other things due to challenges. The great maze was fun too, because (to me personally) it felt nice to go back through the levels you previously fought through, but with other characters.

Also redoing the whole thing on Intense was even more fun. I was able to get through almost every level on Intense (Tabuu fight including, don't mean to brag) except for maybe a subspace level and a bomb factory one.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
Also, I never really got why SSE gets all of this hate. I mean sure it was long but to me that was a very minor issue. The whole thing was a blast, and it really paid off since you got to unlock trophies, stickers and characters using this game mode, plus other things due to challenges. The great maze was fun too, because (to me personally) it felt nice to go back through the levels you previously fought through, but with other characters.

Also redoing the whole thing on Intense was even more fun. I was able to get through almost every level on Intense (Tabuu fight including, don't mean to brag) except for maybe a subspace level and a bomb factory one.
Yeah SSE being long made it great for me. I loved getting trophies and characters in it.

カワシさん

Yeah SSE being long made it great for me. I loved getting trophies and characters in it.
Huh, actually you're right. The length does make it more fun, since it makes you put more effort in it and it makes it not too short. I never thought of that.

On a side note, did anyone else find the Primids to be their favorite enemies?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

You don't understand because you like half of the reasons why it's hated. lol. I didn't get why The Great Maze got a lot of hate, I mean, it got confusing, but it wasn't bad.
Other reasons why it was disliked was because it messed up character's physics, had very little references to other games, and it delayed the game. (and if you want to go by story standpoint Sonic was a Deus Ex Machina)
On a side note, did anyone else find the Primids to be their favorite enemies?
No but they would be great playable characters.

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
You don't understand because you like half of the reasons why it's hated. lol. I didn't get why The Great Maze got a lot of hate, I mean, it got confusing, but it wasn't bad.
Other reasons why it was disliked was because it messed up character's physics, had very little references to other games, and it delayed the game. (and if you want to go by story standpoint Sonic was a Deus Ex Machina)

Still minor.

カワシさん

I think that's exaggerated, although there weren't a lot of references. Pretty much the only references I saw were:
-Fire Emblem
-Kid Icarus
-Kirby (the Halberd)
-Donkey Kong (maybe)
-Ice Climbers
-Metal Gear Solid
-Possibly Earthbound

At least that's what I remember.

Also on the subject of Sonic, it's ironic when you think about it that the Nintendo cast (excluded Snake, because he isn't Nintendo) got saved by the Sega character. It was at the last minute though. I guess he was too slow (sonic get rekt)!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Still minor.
Not sure what that means.
I think that's exaggerated, although there weren't a lot of references. Pretty much the only references I saw were:
-Fire Emblem
-Kid Icarus
-Kirby (the Halberd)
-Donkey Kong (maybe)
-Ice Climbers
-Metal Gear Solid
-Possibly Earthbound

At least that's what I remember.

Also on the subject of Sonic, it's ironic when you think about it that the Nintendo cast (excluded Snake, because he isn't Nintendo) got saved by the Sega character. It was at the last minute though. I guess he was too slow (sonic get rekt)!
The ones I know of are:
  • Battlefield Fortress (Fire Emblem)
  • Skyworld (Kid Icarus)
  • The Halberd (Kirby)
  • The Jungle (Donkey Kong if that was a reference)
  • The Mountain (Ice Climber)
  • Didn't catch the Metal Gear one. I'm guessing the Halberd as well?
  • The Ruined Zoo (Earthbound (Mother))
  • The Forest (The Legend of Zelda)
Sonic's Deus Ex Machina was understandable though. He was added last minute, so they didn't really have time to incorporate him into the story.

If they made a story mode for DLC, who would you want to see together in a group?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
You can play SSE from Midair Stadium to the end of the non-Great Maze in 3-4 hours if you ignore as much combat and item hunting as possible.

And it is awesome.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Loving it because they have something else to do in brawl then 4

SprayPaint

Smash Rookie
When I first played it I played with my brother. Unfortunately he stopped liking it and only wanted to play versus. So once I became good and 1v1s or 1v1v1s then he stopped playing all together. (Jealous much?) I tend to enjoy melee's play style. (Small side-scrolling maps with a fight at the end.) But yet the amount of story that they put in was great. I loved the boss battle mode too!

Harb

Smash Cadet
NNID
Harb323
Switch FC
SW-2002-6569-6711
I really enjoy the SSE adventure mode. I actually finished my second playthrough of it yesterday morning. There will be more replays of it in the future :)

Scurry059

Smash Cadet
I actually enjoyed playing SSE. The scenes were interesting I thought. The great maze did mess me up here and there

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'll just copy-paste what I said in another thread comparing Brawl's single-player to Smash 4's:

And SSE itself just makes it miles better than Smash 4's. 30+ levels you can play through with 30+ characters that completely change how you approach it, had a story that allowed for cutscenes featuring some actual character interactions, had cool bosses with some of them being Nintendo characters, introduced new mechanics as it went along, had 5 difficulties that actually made a significant difference, and had a ton of replay value for speed-runs, no sticker runs, co-op, etc. SSE would be justified as being sold as it's own game in all honesty. Even an average run takes 12 hours average, which is more than some of Nintendo's current single-player offerings.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'll just copy-paste what I said in another thread comparing Brawl's single-player to Smash 4's:
I agree. Every smash game needs a Subspace Emissary like Adventure Mode in my opinion. It's so much more fun than Mario Party: Smash Addition, and Smash Run (Witch needs the ability to run into the other players, making the fact that other players show up on the map actually have a point.)

Honestly, I think Nintendo was going for the multiplayer aspect of Smash. Which is fine except those with no friends have nothing to do except Events, Angry birds, Home Run Contests, and Multi-Man Smash. All of witch can only entertain someone for so long.

DreamFunk

Smash Cadet
SSE was a really cool way to introduce characters and give even a tiny reason for them all to be together, plus taboo and his theme were rad af

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I loved the cutscenes and seeing characters of all across Nintendo interacting with eachother. People way back when would have never guessed that we would get to see Link, Mario, Kirby, Fox, and Yoshi team up to fight Bowser, King DeDeDe, and Ganondorf.

The gameplay aspect of it was okay. Not bad, but nothing spectacular, it was good enough to play through just to watch more of those awesome cutscenes.

Megakoopax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Supermario196
3DS FC
2320-6609-3767
SSE was one of my favorite parts about Brawl. I loved the cinematic cutscenes and the story, it's like they got Melee's adventure mode and completely expanded upon it. If it were a little longer the SSE might have been made into a standalone game. Too bad Smash 4 didn't have anything like that, which was depressing.

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
Subspace Emissary was hype! I remember playing it with my friends, and completing the levels throughout the map... it was fun, especially in Co-Op. It was so cool finding the secret doors. The Great Maze and the whole character of Tabuu was pretty sick and mysterious. And last but not least, the cutscenes. The cutscenes were great. It was just awesome to see the cast of Smash Bros. characters interact in a story like that.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
It's not only that you see the cast of Smash interact with each other, but they interact so Wel!
I don't know how much to talk about without giving spoilers but it feels so believable!

Also renewed interest because my family is mailing my Wii to my new home and best believe, eventhough I've already 100%-ed Subspace 2 years ago, I'm doing it Again!
Good thing there are so many save files.

ViridianXE

Smash Rookie
Tabuu the name damages me i died to him around 15 times i spent like 45 - hour tring to beat him

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I was fine with SSE, although it would have been nice to incorporate the characters that weren't in the main story like Jigglypuff into the plot proper.

Top Bottom