• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else actually enjoy SSE?

Crazy4pikachus

Smash Rookie
Well I liked it, I've done it on Single Player on Intense, now I'm trying to beat it with my brother. :3 But man, I HATE the Great Maze, It's so freaking long, I mean.. geez, couldn't it be shorter?

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Well I liked it, I've done it on Single Player on Intense, now I'm trying to beat it with my brother. :3 But man, I HATE the Great Maze, It's so freaking long, I mean.. geez, couldn't it be shorter?
I actually like long things as long as they're fun and have something that doesn't make them tedious. The Great Maze is long, tedious, and unfun.

The SSE was a nice start to create a better Adventure Mode but it's extremely flawed.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I enjoy it when playing on hard.
In order to enjoy the Great Maze play on hard with a friend and make sure that all/most enemies are there(as in you didnt kill the characters/bosses)
It was fun putting no flinch stickers on characters so that they never flinch its realy funny(to me it is)
Also sonic was currently in the Sonic Colors Wii story during the SSE(look up Sonic Colors Terminal Velocity Act 2 he gets sucked in a void that looks like subspace).

Loxo

Smash Rookie
I like the SSE but it took me a REAL pain to find Ike after he was turned into a trophy in subspace.

Dyclone

Smash Ace
I couldn't get passed the second part of SSE on intense. If I knew about the Special Brawl- Stamina, flower thing, I would have even bothered with it.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
The visuals were great. The music was great. The storyline was great. The gameplay is quite possibly the worst thing I've ever done.

D

Deleted member

I didn't like it. Although you can unlock characters without fighting against them.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
What I like(d) about SSE:
  • Better then Melee's 1P story
  • Original Enemy Designs
  • A nice concept.
  • LAY WASTE TO HOARDS OF USELESS PERIPHERALS! YAY! :D
What I dislike about SSE:
  • Long, Tedious, etc. etc.
  • They should've either kept the normal story idea, or have the Great Maze be the entire game. Having both was stupid.
  • Prejudice toward some characters. While I am a Kirby main, Sonic and Took Link are also fun characters to play as. (Edit: At a certain point you can no longer play as ZSS for any reason. This is stupid, lemme out of the power suit, darn it!)
  • No seriously, why does Lucas get so much attention when his game never left Japan?!
  • Constantly getting stunned/stun-locked is a dealbreaker for every other game we play. So why does this game get off scott-free?
However, no problem is worse then the enemies. Think about it. I'm playing SSE right now, and you wanna know what I see? Enemies trying as hard as possible to get the first hit in. This is backwards logic for a simple reason: to a new player, they're gonna have a hard time anyway. However, if you get better at the game, you still get hit too easily. A perfect player should never, ever get hit. And yet the next best thing is getting hurt CONSTANTLY. This would be okay, but having the knockback that these enemies have on you would be reserved for Glass Cannons in regular Brawl. The enemies either have a crapton of health, or die with one smash attack.

And this is all on EASY MODE. EASY MODE!

Sakurai, there's this thing called easy mode. MAKE IT EASY, NOT REGULAR!

Last edited:

Toon Link 99

Smash Cadet
I enjoyed it. I didn't hate the great mace, it was fun to play trought it alone, looking for secrets or just enjoying yourself. It's fun to play with a friend too. Replaying everything wasn't that great because some characters have trouble on stages where you need to jum high. The story was allright but it should have more depth. The characters need more personality, they need to interact with each other in a better way. Not just nod and team up with someone random. That happened. Alot. I really hope the adventure mode gets better in SSB4 (if they'll have one) because they can do it better. The enemies annoy me alot. Some die in 1 hit and some are so annoying (like those "Greaps" or whatever they're called). I liked it more than Melee's adventure because it was more adventure than just battling.

Eviltomb

Smash Rookie
personally, I used it just to get characters, but I also think it was kinda fun. too bad that the only thing SSE has going for it is the story. it wasn't the best, but i liked it. if you wanted to fight mooks or other brawlers, you would use brawl mode or endless mode. I think one of the reasons it didn't really work was because smash bros is a platformer fighter, not a beat em up. moves just don't feel the same if everything dies in a few hits. the stages also feel bland because they have to be available for every character to beat.

HeavySmashGuy

Smash Cadet
NNID
HeavyBrawlsGuy
3DS FC
1977-1276-9162
I personally enjoyed it, mostly because I have no one in my area at a skill level equal to mine, except for a Korean guy I don't see much who's a little below me. I liked the way it played, kinda like Streets Of Rage and Donkey Kong Country put into a blender. I found sticker s a waste of time but I'd jump off a cliff for a trophy.

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
I feel as though the concept was great, it's just that it was way too long.
Honestly, I would've like it if the Great Maze didn't exist at all. That was very unnecessary and tedious.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Actually, you know what would've made the final boss awesome?

If Smash Balls spawned in the battle, and you and Tabuu fought for it. If he got it, he'd do the RRoD attack. If you got it, you did your final smash.

This could be worked into the story, too. The Smash Ball would be a Macguffin that both sides fought over throughout the campaign.

What you guys think?

I do not think that Smash Bros should ever have attempted an actual story mode type thing.
Adventure mode in melee to me was not an attempt at a story at all. To me it seemed more like an extra gaming option that held no story value at all.

Subspace emissary attempted to actually create a story in my opinion. You have your iconic antagonist and heros with some sort of over arching villain above the public ones for the final twist at the end. In the world of trying to combine all characters I think it just turns out awful no matter the characters you have. Thus, I am glad the subspace emissary will be removed in the next game and it seems to focus purely on gameplay rather than taking a crack at story elements.

I did like the smash64 intro by trying to make it seem like the characters were dolls brought to life by a master hand and fight it out. Its a super simple explanation of what is going on in that world, but I was fine with that loose ending. No need to find out that the master hand was a minion of even taboo.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
It was so fun the first time I played it, the cut scenes gave me so much hype. I'm currently playing through it again after not playing it for what, 3-4 years? Repetitive and annoying. Cut scenes are still awesome though.

krakkenchaos

Smash Rookie
I'm going to go ahead and drop the unpopular opinion bomb. I think the Subspace Emissary was absolutely amazing. I'll admit, some of the enemies and bosses were cheap, but that was overshadowed by the extremely fun gameplay and the beautifully-told story. It's seriously one of my favorite gaming experiences ever and I could never understand why so many people didn't like it.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Subspace Emissary? I've never heard of it before. Is it some kind of food?

Harraseda

Smash Rookie
NNID
Harraseda
I really liked subspace! I guess it was what introduced me to the world of Nintendo, and I thought it was a good way to learn all the character's moves (or most of them at least).
The Great Maze was a bit of a pain, and the enemies were a little generic, but there was a good enough variation in the enemies for it to be interesting!
I also really liked the ROB part of the story, and the cutscene before Entrance to Subspace still gives me chills to this day!

Svenshinhan

Smash Cadet
I liked the idea of SSE. I think it was just poorly executed. For one, it was way too long (or just too repetitive). But the main thing I didn't like about it was that it had very little to do with Nintendo characters. Should have had more boss fights like Rayquaza and Ridley, rather than the generic robots. Worlds should have been based much more on the worlds of the various Nintendo characters, featuring enemies from said worlds.

But I still enjoyed my first playthrough of it (generally, at least). It just has low replay value even if you do like it the first time around. If I were to assign a score I'd give it a 6/10. Enjoyable, but not making use of its full potential. Could easily have been 8/10 if it had more variety, more Nintendo themed stages, enemies & bosses and less Great Maze.

Danny of AD 1

Smash Apprentice
its my favorite mode as i liked the storyline though it takes me 4 and a half hours for me to complete stages 6 18 19 27 and 31 should be shortened as stage 6 takes 15 minutes 18 22 minutes 19 22 minutes 27 34 minutes and 31 88 minutes

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The cutscenes were pretty epic. The story was alright. The gameplay, however...I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I though I would. The Great Maze was so boring and a disaster that I nearly quit and never go back to it.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Last I've played of SSE, it was alright. I thought it was way too tedious and it always bugged me that the Kirby cast get the most spotlight compared to other characters. It's not a bad mode, but it isn't great either.

Melee had a better Adventure mode, imo.

Legitimate Ted

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-2470-4924
I kind of liked the Emissary. It wasn't the best story mode out of a fighting game (That title must go to either Mortal Kombat X or SoulCalibur II), but for Smash, it was a step in the right direction.

D

Deleted member

It wasn't bad. Cutscenes were good-looking. I only played SSE for three days (starting on Brawl's launch date) and never went back to it. I prefer Melee's Adventure Mode.

RetroJam98

Smash Rookie
NNID
RetroJam98
I personally enjoyed it quite a bit, but for me it is the opposite of fun on difficulties above Normal. I did like The Great Maze though, even if I did switch to easy for it.

Legitimate Ted

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-2470-4924
I personally enjoyed it quite a bit, but for me it is the opposite of fun on difficulties above Normal. I did like The Great Maze though, even if I did switch to easy for it.
I did also like The Great Maze. It was some degree of a challenge. I kind of wish they had a mode kind of like it for Smash 4 Wii U. 3DS has Smash run, though, I guess? Doesn't feel the same though.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
It's a guilty pleasure of mine. Heck, I still remember me and my best bud at the time playing through co-op. Good times.
However I didn't like how everyone was slower than normal, and the great maze was a bit tedious.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
I could only play through Subspace once. There was just something about the game that I couldn't go back to once I beat it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What I like(d) about SSE:
  • Better then Melee's 1P story
  • Original Enemy Designs
  • A nice concept.
  • LAY WASTE TO HOARDS OF USELESS PERIPHERALS! YAY! :D
What I dislike about SSE:
  • Long, Tedious, etc. etc.
  • They should've either kept the normal story idea, or have the Great Maze be the entire game. Having both was stupid.
  • Prejudice toward some characters. While I am a Kirby main, Sonic and Took Link are also fun characters to play as. (Edit: At a certain point you can no longer play as ZSS for any reason. This is stupid, lemme out of the power suit, darn it!)
  • No seriously, why does Lucas get so much attention when his game never left Japan?!
  • Constantly getting stunned/stun-locked is a dealbreaker for every other game we play. So why does this game get off scott-free?
However, no problem is worse then the enemies. Think about it. I'm playing SSE right now, and you wanna know what I see? Enemies trying as hard as possible to get the first hit in. This is backwards logic for a simple reason: to a new player, they're gonna have a hard time anyway. However, if you get better at the game, you still get hit too easily. A perfect player should never, ever get hit. And yet the next best thing is getting hurt CONSTANTLY. This would be okay, but having the knockback that these enemies have on you would be reserved for Glass Cannons in regular Brawl. The enemies either have a crapton of health, or die with one smash attack.

And this is all on EASY MODE. EASY MODE!

Sakurai, there's this thing called easy mode. MAKE IT EASY, NOT REGULAR!
There is a button that allows you to play Zero Suit Samus. (It's C If you are using the Nunchuck)
Here is what I like:
  • Awesome story
  • Interactions between characters.
What I don't like:
  • Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff were completely left out.
Am I the only one here who didn't dislike The Great Maze? It got confusing, but it wasn't terrible.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
As someone who's beaten it 100%, and on Intense,
I really like SSE a lot.
The story is as beautiful as the concept of Super Smash Bros itself, and so are the cutscenes,
and the ability to play through a single player campaign with a Friend predated New Super Mario Bros Wii by at least a year.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff were completely left out.
Am I the only one here who didn't dislike The Great Maze? It got confusing, but it wasn't terrible.
I'd argue they weren't left out of the mode completely, they are to be found after you beat Tabuu.
But yeah they weren't in the story and that deeply disappoints me too.

And me I love the Great Maze. there's a sense of accomplishment when you find your way to the next save room.
The fact that it's when you finally get to pick and play whoever you want, after you go and save them, it really feels like the ultimate Viva La Resistance team-up operation to track down find and end Tabuu.

Top Bottom