• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else actually enjoy SSE?

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
I mean, I hated that it was pretty much the only way to unlock characters, but I still thought of it as fun. I enjoyed the story line. It may just be more fun to me, because i do SSE with my neighbor, but idk.

The only real, unenjoyable part was redoing the entire thing.

Overall though, I do enjoy SSE. Tons better then Melee's 1p mode if you ask me. It's nice just to do something else other then vs matches all the time. idk, just something, different.

Anyone else feel this way? I know tons of people hate it, but I wanna know. Am I just insane, or do some people like SSE?

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
It was really cool the first time I played through it. I played it with my friends and beat it the first day it came out in japan, and we had a ****ing blast.
If i were to play it now, I would hate it though, because it takes time :/ and you cant copy data like you could with melee. its a whole lot better than melees 1p mode because it had a storyline. The biggest problem was that the storyline was so shallow that sakurai had to add to it and explain it in smashdojo, which i found rather amusing.

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
Agreed, The Great Maze was the worst part. And another thing that makes me mad is Sonic. I mean, where was he hiding this whole time? Just hiding behind a rock, waiting until everyone else did there job, then he jumped and broke his wings? So stupid if you ask me. Same with Jiggly, Wolf, and Toon Link. They could have helped, but NO. They had to hide in there little worlds that no one can find.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
While I do appreciate their attempt to make a platforming/combat adventure, I did not enjoy it too much because some characters may have platforming problems, the movement flow stops frequently just to place in a horde of enemies, the GREAT MAZE had almost nothing new to introduce, and some stages are just too long that it doesn't feel sectional as it was supposed to be.

Alakazamaster

Smash Rookie
It wasn't my favorite addition, but it was by no means a flop either in my opinion. The premise seemed interesting, but some stages were just devastatingly long and tedious. X__x The Great Maze also angered me, haha.

milistisia2

Smash Apprentice
I mean, I hated that it was pretty much the only way to unlock characters, but I still thought of it as fun. I enjoyed the story line. It may just be more fun to me, because i do SSE with my neighbor, but idk.

The only real, unenjoyable part was redoing the entire thing.

Overall though, I do enjoy SSE. Tons better then Melee's 1p mode if you ask me. It's nice just to do something else other then vs matches all the time. idk, just something, different.

Anyone else feel this way? I know tons of people hate it, but I wanna know. Am I just insane, or do some people like SSE?
i HATE sse. i played through 20% of it the first day i got the game and it was so crazy i gave up trying to play through it to unlcok characters and said w/e ill just stay with the starting characters and whatever you can unlock through brawls. well, i unlocked everyone. lol just recently did i play through the rest of it for a challenge... its not too bad really if you play it on easy, but its just stupid on harder difficulties. compared to meelee's adventure, i think its horrible. lol i loved meelee's adventure

Martian

Smash Cadet
I loved it personally. The story was enjoyable and made me smile with the comedy, and also I felt suspended in the scenes. The scene with Olimar and Falcon was by far my favorite part of the story because Olimar is fun loving and cute. Then again I do wish that it wasn't so time consuming, otherwise thumbs up for Sakurai if you ask me.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Woah, what's with all of the newbies posting here? o_O

I hated it for the same reason I dislike a lot of things in Brawl: Hype.
Considering Melee was the game that got me into Video Games, I had very high hopes for Brawl.

SSE could have had stages based on character's games. But no, it was just bland repetitive platforming.
SSE could have had a decent story that explained the epic Smash Universe and tied the story-lines of everyone's respective games. But no, we just got a boring "take over the world" plot and heroes coming together to stop it. Made worse are the poor attempts at characters being funny or serious in the cut-scenes.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
I enjoyed it the first few times I played through it. Now i just play it because i want to beat it on every difficulty. Admittedly, After 3 or 4 times it gets a little boring, but It's not the worst thing in the game. Also, playing it 1P then 2P makes a big difference on the level of fun, especially on the highest difficulty(which I still havent beaten).
One thing that did annoy me was the pairing of the characters, and the overall story in its self. I liked most levels, and got some enjoyment out of the great maze the first time.
So yeah...I Liked it

gupta3

Smash Rookie
Well,I don't know....
When I started it,I love it,good times,but now... what? The only thing I can do on SSE (except create another account) is play all the levels again to get a "crown" on the level. But I liked alot SSE. I love choose the character in mid-cinema. Lol

But,I got very boring when i unlocked all the characters in that way. I was thinking SSE in Normal Mode was more difficult,so.... =/
Well,just this because of Melee.In adventure mode on normal was more difficult.

gupta3

Smash Rookie
Agreed, The Great Maze was the worst part. And another thing that makes me mad is Sonic. I mean, where was he hiding this whole time? Just hiding behind a rock, waiting until everyone else did there job, then he jumped and broke his wings? So stupid if you ask me. Same with Jiggly, Wolf, and Toon Link. They could have helped, but NO. They had to hide in there little worlds that no one can find.
Yeah,I get mad too. And,since Wolf was my favorite character,when I discovered he is the most difficult to unlock and defeat,I was sad. lol
But,when he give his middle-finger to me,I had to fight him.

But,Sonic and all the other ones hiding its stupid. Well,maybe Nintendo made this to make the Sonic-fans thinking "Where are Sonic?" or "Sonic will dont appears...",but...

Well,I just like to play Sonic because of his speed. The other ones? I will say what they are doin' the whole time of SSE:

Wolf : Making war and destroying everything.
Toon Link : Making war with pirates.
Jigglypuff: Singing to win the Singing Pokémon Tournament inside the Pokémon Stadium 2.

That's it.

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
SSE taught us that Captain Falcon hates pikmin, so I thought it was worth while.

No seriously, I thought it was pretty cool, game play was fun and the cutscenes were nice to have. Great Maze could have been shortened though...

Benify

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eggn0g
3DS FC
5214-9751-3548
Yes, the great maze is my least favorite part. I mess around with the chracters in the swamp stage where in one seceret room there is wind going up. I used lucas PK thunder in the air and he is stuck unti I move him out of the wind :chuckle:

Azsy

Smash Cadet
Mixed feelings about SSE. I really liked that they decided to do something like a storyline, and the story line itself was actually really good in my opinion, but a lot of it was just a real hassle. Mindless run threw levels and the "Great Maze" Was horrendous but a really did enjoy the storyline and I cant wait to see what they do with the next SSB game, if there will be one of course :)

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I enjoy it, yes. Or at least, i did enjoy it. I don't even touch SSE anymore. lool

gupta3

Smash Rookie
SSE taught us that Captain Falcon hates pikmin, so I thought it was worth while.

No seriously, I thought it was pretty cool, game play was fun and the cutscenes were nice to have. Great Maze could have been shortened though...
Yeah,took me 5 hours to win on intense mode... but the storyline it is awesome,I have to say.

Chaos Zero 64

Smash Rookie
I enjoyed the normal levels, and found the Great Maze tedious. I don't play it every day, just occasionally.

The second time I made sure I got 100%. For the third time, I used an Ocarina code to Always Be Sonic. I actually got stuck on the Battlefield Fortress, as Marth uses his long sword to hit the switch on the other side of the door. I had to turn on Player 2, and got stuck with him until I cleared the level.

firelord767

Smash Apprentice
I have to say, the story could have been tons better. Other than that, it was real fun. It's kinda like FSA though, being that unless you have a friend to man the other controller, you need a certain mindset to enjoy it.

My 2 pet peaves with it where the bland story and the constant switching around. For some reason, they thought it would be a good idea to space the characters out insanely and then switch between all of them constantly making the already minimal story a bit hard to follow.

As far as gameplay goes, i have it 2 thumbs up. Especially for a platformer running an engine designed and used for a fighting game.

TheShuckler

Smash Rookie
I liked how they had all the characters interacting. It's fun to see the worlds colliding.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Nintendo failed at the silence story

I wish characters that did talk in their games talked in SSE, would have been more interesting than just seeing people shake their heads implying "Ok we are gonna team up"

Blobby

Smash Cadet
I played SSE before I tried to use WiFi and before I even got half the characters so I thought it was fun, but now that I tried WiFi I never go to SSE anymore, and even if my connection was down I'd be brawling CPUs or something. But in my point of view it's probably the most fun thing in Brawl if you've got a good friend playing around with you.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Playing though SSE is fun every now and then. Great Maze is one of my favorite levels because I know the exact route I have to go. Though when your replaying the level its not fun anymore because all the shadow characters are gone.

Playing on intense is always fun to do.

Kotu

Smash Cadet
It's fun but they should added jigglypuff and wolf not toon link cuz they already put in link so yeah

EthanSmash

Smash Rookie
Eh, It was good at first, but now it's just plain boring. I don't hate it, but I would rather be Brawling people better than me.

Ct.O.B.

Smash Apprentice
I think that SSE was a great concept. It was a great way to pay homage to the platform/side-scrolling games that made Nintendo in many ways, and by 2008 we were very overdue.

That being said, I still see a few issues-
1. There were 6 notable characters with largely downplayed roles. Toon Link, Wolf, and Jigglypuff weren't included in the main storyline, and the Ice Climbers' only notable contribution to the plot was leading Meta Knight to Lucario, who didn't do anything either. Sonic's appearance was a pretty big "WTF?" moment, considering he had no plausible backstory for SSE, and he was entirely last-minute.
2. Its similarities to the Kirby series scare me. Sakurai had a little too much influence on SSE in general, and it shows (look up SSE on SmashWiki for a full list of similarities).
3. The rivalries and relationships in each characters' respective world (and real life in certain cases) don't carry over to SSE. I would like to see some classic rivalries portrayed with SSE's great cinematics. Mario vs. Sonic action would've been a GREAT spur in the Nintendo-Sega rivalry, for example.

Top Bottom