• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One

I dunno, if I really was so bent on learning a 1 frame movement; I'd go play VF. Hell, atleast if I ****ed up that movement, I would probably dropping a combo instead of either putting myself at a continued disadvantage in shield or at risk when I up+b the wrong way being close to a ledge.

*continues laughing*
I know you don't main doc so don't think I'm being a **** with this but... up-b cancel is just a parlor trick, on par with a falco trying to multishine 10x in a row to break a shield when dair shines pressure just as well. Up-b out of shield is better than up-b cancel out of shield in any situation (maaaybe unless you're on FD and even that's debatable IMO). More damage, more knockback, safer, easier.
No it was a legitimate question and I got a legitimate answer.

I was only considering this because of the knockback compared to time committed for the move. I had FD vs ff's in mind when thinking about it but couldnt that be used as a reversal, like wouldnt it still provide the quick interrupt move that you need to break good spacy pressure while having a limited lag and can even start a combo, something that no other up b oos can do.

As far as parlor tricks, I dont know how effective this is but I believe that pillaring has more frame openings then multishines. Like you said I dont main doc, and dont have a considerable amount of tech skill, but I would feel comfortable doing the up + B cancel oos and if I mess up ill just do the regular[but possible in the wrong direction].

If it works but has high risks I dont see why it wouldnt be worth it to persue mastery of this technique.

So I guess my question is: Does this just not work as a quick pressure breaker on said FD against a ff?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Will it interrupt? Sure. Thing is, if it gets DI'd, people can come right back and hit you. That even happens with up+b by itself.

As for up+b'ing the wrong direction, that's where some of the problem comes in. Although you technical speaking could up+b cancel one direction and catch all, your best bet is to up+b the way you're facing, cancel behind you. Now, that's not a problem if you **** up in the middle of the stage, but imagine ****ing up near a ledge; and then up+b'ing off the stage. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah dawg.

So it works, yeah, but for the fact that sometimes doing it runs the risk of SDing as opposed to atleast forcing your opponent to follow up; it's not exacly the best idea.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
It's true that if you can do it every time, up-b cancel out of shield can be better than up b out of shield vs space pets on FD, but the thing is a lot of space pets ban FD, especially against doc. little do they know I hate the stage :dedede:

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
ok. I see. Well obviously you dont have to do it every time but yea. So I guess we can just chalk this one up as it has its uses but isnt the go to move.

I also hate FD

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
if your SO worried about failing the upb cancle dogy, don't do it. i use it by edges all the time on FD i don't find it hard to do, and i do see benefits to doing it. <_< but if your in the middle of the stage and you try and screw up, whats the big deal? lol :p

@khaos it doesn't really set up into a combo ever :(

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
How do you UpB cancel?
Isn't it Up, Back, Forward in three frames, or something ridiculous like that?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I do mine by going from straight up+b to down+right, doesn't matter which way you're facing. And yea I think you need to go from up to down+right/left on frame 3, not sure though.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
if your SO worried about failing the upb cancle dogy, don't do it. i use it by edges all the time on FD i don't find it hard to do, and i do see benefits to doing it. <_< but if your in the middle of the stage and you try and screw up, whats the big deal? lol :p
Ok, lets see. First off im glad that you didnt really care to read my posts, cause I clearly said I dont do it. Second, what's the harm of ****ing up in the middle? The same harm you have of doing it; which is the same harm you have of up+bing period, somebody can just DI out of it and hit you.

There's nothing like up+bing a capfal to avoid a knee, just to get kneed anyway.

How do you UpB cancel?
Isn't it Up, Back, Forward in three frames, or something ridiculous like that?
up+one direction on frame 3, down + another on frame 4.

___

Im some other news.

1) FH U.air is hilarious. Especially when you start doing FH u.air -> f.air loops on some ******. I came || close to breaking somebody's shield at IC4 doing that.

2) U.air juggles. *Nods* yeaaaaaaaaaaaah i dunno if I ever said it but it's really not that hard to set up. Watched a lil darkrain, played some greenmario. Surprised we never figured it out
-Step 1, snipe a double jump
-Step 2, get kinda close so they stay in the middle of your u.air
-Step 3, u.air
-Step 4, repeat steps 2 and 3
-Step 5, CHRIS BROWN THAT HO!

3) F.air. Time to go watch some ganon vids. GOOD ganon vids. Some chaddd then kage, then linguini. That's not my order or favorite ganon to least, that my order "Most likely to throw a ****ing f.air in the right spot" to least. Any other real good f.air heavy ganon's would be nice.
*edit* i forgot how much linguini just slip-n-slides over platforms. XD

4) DJN's retared *** tornado edgeguard I'm so gunna do that to somebody. And kill them. On video. It's going to be one of my doc achievements. (There's some real good stuff in this vid btw, just ignore the fact that the commentators dont know **** about mario)
-Note for anybody who thinks that was complete bull**** that he even landed it, watch the whole match. If you didnt know vwins was going to be up there, we need to talk.

Oh speaking of achievements, i've got to get around to making that list (I'll probably make that list before I finish any doc guide i've ever said I'll do. Sounds more fun). But yeah, I'm gunna make a list of dumb *** **** to do to somebody in a match (or friendlies, doesnt really matter), and it's gunna be called the melee achievements. Alpha came up with a good one yesterday; Killing somebody with a reverse up+b as doc or mario.

Desh

Smash Ace
lol.
otg im so gonna do that XD

and down b has nice knock back >_>
i had a few clips of uthrow > nado on ffers, and it works lol.(kinda)

of course you'd be smarter to do other things, but its funny x3

actually it probably shouldnt work. but then again a lot of things 'shouldnt' work lol. XP

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
kinda makes me wonder what kinda knockback it really has.

...... I'd have an option for covering high recoveries!

THEN I COULD TAKE OVER THE WOOOOOOOOOORLD!

"the pinky, the pinky and the brain brain brain brain brain! -Narf!-"

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One

@khaos it doesn't really set up into a combo ever :(
I like how you added an H.

But on a fast faller doesnt the single hit especially at low percents, have some hitstun? at least enough to hit with another move. ie starting a combo.

I guess Ill just have to try it

metashinryu

Smash Ace
hey,gimme the up+b achievement with doc , i killed a samus with that **** on temple XD

also i gone crazy on some capn with mario and up+b killed him offscreen on ys

also i uaired across fd the same samus guy to a ledge,full hopped an uair double jumped and slamdunked him with mario,does that counts for something?

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
Will it interrupt? Sure. Thing is, if it gets DI'd, people can come right back and hit you. That even happens with up+b by itself.

As for up+b'ing the wrong direction, that's where some of the problem comes in. Although you technical speaking could up+b cancel one direction and catch all, your best bet is to up+b the way you're facing, cancel behind you. Now, that's not a problem if you **** up in the middle of the stage, but imagine ****ing up near a ledge; and then up+b'ing off the stage. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah dawg.

So it works, yeah, but for the fact that sometimes doing it runs the risk of SDing as opposed to atleast forcing your opponent to follow up; it's not exacly the best idea.

k...when did you say you didn't do it in here^ ? if you said you don't in an earlier post my bad? sorry i don't read all your post =/

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
YOU BETTER BE SORRY.

Not really. I'm not upset, i know my posts are long as ****.

but no, i dont up+b cancel. I work on it sometimes when I get bored, but until it's like 95%, im not going to do it. Risk/reward isnt worth it.

Shroomed

Smash Master
i killed a falcon with my UpB on fountain of dreams somehow

he died off the top at like 190 sumthin

i really dont like how DJN plays lol

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
so, macman asked me if jiggs can duck a doc grab, and I went to check cause I've been paranoid about that for a while cause i dont play jiggs often and I keep seeing dumb sheiks get their **** ducked.

Jiggs cant, but I did find something funny.

Jiggs can, at times, duck a doc F.smash and up-angled f.tilt. Reason being it's "at times" is that like doc, jiggs moves around she's crouching. LOL IT CHANGES HER HITBOX HEIGHT.

*rolls eyes*
W.Len is still jealous.

Desh

Smash Ace
i should get the up b achievement too lol,
i have an upb kill on a falcon in my combo vid =D ...on DL64 LOL
although he proooollllyyy shoulda made it back >__>

edit: but it was still funny as **** xD

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer

Jiggs. Still cant duck a doc grab. XD
or a d.smash.

I just thought that was odd as **** when I saw it, cause i remember reading m2k's statlist about TheMario's crouch. Didnt think that would apply to other characters.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Aight, so. I've been messin around with something (well, alot of things), and I came across something like "Man, this is so good I outta keep this to myself."

Then I actually looked and found out that it's pretty hard to do cause of having 1 frame of error for 3 inputs.

But anyway, what I'm putting out there today.

is.

--drumroll--

.... Doc Pillaring? Lol! (Mario can do this too, and technically he could do it better).

Now, what If I told you doc could do SH double aerials? I honestly cant remember if somebody mentioned this a while ago (I know the mario's looked into it, but I think they stopped when they couldnt make SH B.air -> U.air work.)

But, SH B.air -> N.air!!! It works!

HOWEVER!

**** only has 1 frame of error.

*looks at tv*
Ok im distracted from the rest of this.

Go practice it and do kool **** with it. I already have some ideas for it, but I've got to try it out in friendlies first. I keep ****ing up and airdodging when im supposed to n.air -> l cancel.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i did a shbairnair once.
crazy *** ****.

have you tried using z for the nair?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
yeah.

The problem that I have is that you really only have a frame to put the n.air in correctly (maybe 2 frames). Just timing and consistency.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
you heard people try it, that's about it.

You cant even do 1 entire u.air animation is a SH. (u.air = 33 frames, SH = 32.)

____

MAN **** IM ON SMASHBOARDS TOO MUCH.

-closes firefox-

Top Bottom