• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I shouldn't ruin your excitement for FC with my honesty. My b.
No, you shouldn't be an *******.
Like, it's okay that you suck, but you don't need to be spreading your bad vibes to everyone else. It's a terrible quality to have. Im going to FC to have fun, the sooner I;m out of melee, the sooner I can get my drink on and start enjoying myself a little more.

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
Any general advice for Doc v. Luigi, ICs, or Shiek? I've got those MUs in my FC pool, and I have zero experience with those MUs.

Also, anybody know anything about these guys in my pool? I figure I'm gonna lose to Little England, MattDotZeb, and Vanz, so my only chance of getting out of this pool is if I beat all these guys.
Keith
luigigoshard91
Only1Z
Raven_Knight
Rusty Shacklefurd

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
As long as you have that attitude, you might as well suck.
I think we're done now.
Any general advice for Doc v. Luigi, ICs, or Shiek? I've got those MUs in my FC pool, and I have zero experience with those MUs.

Also, anybody know anything about these guys in my pool? I figure I'm gonna lose to Little England, MattDotZeb, and Vanz, so my only chance of getting out of this pool is if I beat all these guys.
Keith
luigigoshard91
Only1Z
Raven_Knight
Rusty Shacklefurd
Aww man don't think like that. Shoot for first always!

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
LE uses Flip-Flop!
It is not very effective!

Onion
If you acknowledge defeat before you even play, you have already lost! Have confidence! The moment I started feeling confident I have since beaten Kels, Matt R, Andale among others in tournament sets, and still have time to piss off LE because he's just jelly.

You also caught me sleepin' that one time, if you are the same person I remember.

Max?

Smash Champion

Keith
luigigoshard91
Only1Z
Raven_Knight
Rusty Shacklefurd
Just looking at your pool, who plays Luigi, Icies and Sheik? Matt and LE both play Falco iirc. I can't comment on LE, but Matt's super campy and doesn't have any good Doc/Mario practice, so just expose him for being a fraud falco player.

Vanz is super good (is he the one you're mentioning?)

As for specifics, I'm super lazy to type up stuff, but I'd suggest watching Shroomed's stuff vs. Eddy Mexico and Wobbles for suggestions on Luigi/Icies.

For some general stuff, you lose to Luigi on stage, and his combo game is way more potent then yours. Keep him offstage since his recovery is subpar, and don't try to go for extended combos on him because he will nair/other aerial you out of stuff. Focus on pokes and spacing stuff (bair/dsmash/ftilt), use lots of pills to control space and cape is good vs. him.

As for Icies, kill Nana as quickly as possible. You have a lot of good moves to separate them, you can combo them pretty solidly, pills are good for controlling space, and they don't get stupid grab punishes off you, tho they can kill you from a grab and set up combos/positional advantage from certain things. You can get away with attacking their shield and pressuring them as long as you don't do super laggy stuff into it. I don't have a ton of experience in the matchup but I've always gone around 50/50 or a lil better vs. Nintendude, and I'm convince Doc has a slight edge in the matchup.

As for Sheik, pokes and pills, dont jump into the ****, make her UpB on stage so you can **** her, UpB to escape her pressure. Idk, feelin really lazy now.

You got this, just play your best, stay grounded alot and don't jump into the ****.

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
I went Young Link against the two luigis an some random peach, and the ICs player went Marth against me. The shieks gave me some problems, but I think I just need to play less stupid against mediocre shieks.

I made it out of first round pools, in 4th. VanZ and MDZ tore me up, but I'm pretty happy with myself

:phone:

EDIT: Is the CG on shiek guaranteed? how do I know when to turn around or walk or dash to regrab? I'm probably gonna hit some shieks next round pools

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you don't know how to do the CG properly just do it to 25% (where you can just eyeball it if you have decent d-throw CG skills) and then convert it into an up smash or up tilt combo if her DI choice produces a primarily vertical trajectory and regrab if her DI is mostly horizontal (dash JC grab - this will mainly be behind Doc).

That's how I do my Sheik CGs if I don't know the nuances of CGing a particular character and I'd think it would suffice similarly with Doc. At about 50%, just rinse between combo moves (up tilt, uair), gimp setups (bair) and kill moves (f-smash on vertical DIs, d-smash if she goes away) depending on positioning and what seems appropriate. Be prepared to waveland on platforms for regrabs or go for fairs and stuff around mid percents.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Pfft. We all know you're really good dude

I was joking lol

This was my first bad tournament. I never thought it would happen to me.

Haven't been out of top ten in so long. Even though I lost, I forgot how nice it was to be able to just enjoy all the high level matches around you.

I'm going to **** the next tournament though.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Haven't been out of top ten in so long. Even though I lost, I forgot how nice it was to be able to just enjoy all the high level matches around you.
Though I mostly go to these tournaments to watch and not compete, I can say that I emulate this feeling... Height of it was the Falcon tournament at Pound 4. Most hype I ever experienced.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Can I ask why?
I feel like some of the Sheik players are learning to DI upwards to jump out of the chaingrab.
As long as they're doing this, all I get out of is an up-tilt and then they land on a platform. Then you have to chase them or read jump and do a bunch of extra work.

D-throw -> upsmash just seems more viable at this point for me. I don't have the time I use to have to research all this extra stuff anymore.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I feel like some of the Sheik players are learning to DI upwards to jump out of the chaingrab.
As long as they're doing this, all I get out of is an up-tilt and then they land on a platform. Then you have to chase them or read jump and do a bunch of extra work.

D-throw -> upsmash just seems more viable at this point for me. I don't have the time I use to have to research all this extra stuff anymore.
Ah, I see. Well, I can't argue with feelings. And I certainly can understand wanting to consolidate damage.

unknown522

Some guy
I was joking lol

This was my first bad tournament. I never thought it would happen to me.

I'm going to **** the next tournament though.
i know you were joking.

But yeah, it's good that you enjoyed yourself still

Top Bottom