• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Max?

Smash Champion
I'm probably 2nd, but shroomeds biased.

Also, having Doc as your secondary doesn't mean **** Yedi. There are a ton of really good players who have solid Doc's up there sleeves who I would put above you any day of the week.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Honestly, yeah I'm biased lmao.

But in all honesty I doubt that you're second best Doc OTG. Prove me wrong though. You guys need to step it up and start placing higher in tournies.

I'd put Boss above you.

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
That's just ********, but continue to sleep.
well i mean

i can pretty much say the same **** to

in the end all u can do is prove it

which u can....

so **** everyones approval

it'll come with time

people are gonna sleep on my doc....cause i got dem nyquil pills....
nice punchline

but yea man

to doc mains

who's cares about whos 2nd or 3rd best or whatever

u know how good you are and how much potential u have

just leave it at that

not everybody is gonna think you're amazing

they're are people that already think you guys are great players

gotta discard that ego thinking your the **** when others don't think so (so many people do this lool)

just cuz u play doc and no else doesn't, doesn't make you the best

just try ur best and focus on improving

u got this!

Shroomed

Smash Master
Kill Nana, seriously.

I'd rather ensure Nana's death than punish Popo for mistakes. Because if YOU make a mistake with Nana still alive that's a ****ton of percent and possibly death.

Max?

Smash Champion
Try to knock him down to force a tech chase. Put pressure on him up close with movement/jabs/utilt/ftilt/uair, and react accordingly (if you see a spotdodge, if he puts up his shield after a jab, etc). You can also combo into them with various moves at various %s, too lazy. Just feel it out, keep that pressure up and make him scared.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Yeah, if you find that the Fox isn't shielding, spotdodging, or doin' anything defensive, it usually means Fox is controlling the Doc player too much. Doc has to put some fear into Fox to keep Fox from rolling over Doc so freely. Movement, like OTG was saying, does help alot in this matchup (along with all the other matchups).

Speaking of movement, did you guys know that the wavedash/waveland is my favorite technique with Doc. I know it doesn't do any damage. But it's fun to use.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
fox.

he's fast
he's furry
he's formidable

how do i grab him?
If you can get your Doc. to a point where your control is like water, then you shouldn't have any issues keeping up with Fox. Of course that comes with a lot of experience and practice.

To answer your question though: Pressure him with spaced shffl'd aerials and predict his rolls, tech-chasing when able to. If he techs in place, he might side-step in place or later roll depending on where he's at. If he's near the edge, pressure him into rolling near you with ftils, utilts, jabs and things like that. If the Fox player is smart, they won't roll but will jump. If not, once he rolls next to you that's a free grab. Depending on his %, you should know what to do from there (low % combos with uthrow CG or uthrow to smash-attack depending on DI or whatever the situation tells you to do. High %, headbutt a few times then uthrow, follow DI to a full-hop fair.)

Everyone has already said most of this I'm sure but that's the grab-game in a nutshell for Doc. vs. Fox.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
So my facebook got blown up by some Genesis 2 prereg stuff. Made me think of SWF.

And here I am, looking at the doc thread, seeing I don't make the Doc tierlist.

-picks up the mic- yoooooooooooooooooooooooo.

...-plays taps for the fallen Doc-

Shroomed

Smash Master
So my facebook got blown up by some Genesis 2 prereg stuff. Made me think of SWF.

And here I am, looking at the doc thread, seeing I don't make the Doc tierlist.

-picks up the mic- yoooooooooooooooooooooooo.

...-plays taps for the fallen Doc-
I haven't seen you play any semi-well known players so I have no idea where to actually place you.

I can't say much about you other than you go to tournaments and don't enter. I have 0 idea where you actually stack against other good players because I have nothing to judge off of.

This is all just my speculation of course.

username12345678

Smash Apprentice
when performing the down throw CG's on sheik pikachu ect. do you guys always jump cancel your grabs?

and dogy could you aim me the downthrow+dunk percents?

SmashMac

Smash Lord
Anyone can make a list of their favorite players and be biased about who is better. What it all boils down to is who places well and who doesn't.

when performing the down throw CG's on sheik pikachu ect. do you guys always jump cancel your grabs?

and dogy could you aim me the downthrow+dunk percents?
Any and every time you grab you should be jump-canceling it.

Shroomed

Smash Master
Anyone can make a list of their favorite players and be biased about who is better. What it all boils down to is who places well and who doesn't.
Any and every time you grab you should be jump-canceling it.
And my argument is he doesn't enter, therefore he doesn't place, therefore I can't put him anywhere. I always try to checkup on tournaments of other Doc players and see where they placed and view brackets and such because I'm genuinely interested in how good you guys are. The only person who I put with no tourney results is Bob$ (because he uses Marth 90% of the time), but I've seen his Doc in seriouslies and such so that's why I put it where it is.

And you shouldn't jump cancel if you're doing boost grab trixies :)

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I haven't seen you play any semi-well known players so I have no idea where to actually place you.

I can't say much about you other than you go to tournaments and don't enter. I have 0 idea where you actually stack against other good players because I have nothing to judge off of.

This is all just my speculation of course.
Dogy's legit bro. If I can recollect, he was the highest placing Doc at both of the tournaments I saw him at: CEO 2010 and Tipped Off 6.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
And my argument is he doesn't enter, therefore he doesn't place, therefore I can't put him anywhere. I always try to checkup on tournaments of other Doc players and see where they placed and view brackets and such because I'm genuinely interested in how good you guys are. The only person who I put with no tourney results is Bob$ (because he uses Marth 90% of the time), but I've seen his Doc in seriouslies and such so that's why I put it where it is.

And you shouldn't jump cancel if you're doing boost grab trixies :)
Dogy's Doc. is as good as mine, at least. That's according to placings from 2010 because he's been active while I was inactive and I kept up with his placings. He's in top 5 Doc players for sure.

Boost-grab isn't that great on Doc. and is so situational it's almost useless. I only see it used well when wanting that extra spacing to mind-game a grab in against an opponent. It's amazing on other chars though like Fox. who's dash-attack has a far animation.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Placing isn't as important as who you beat to get to that place.
Yeah... I knew you were gonna say that.

Just take my word for it though. Dogy is good. (or at least he was when he was good while he was active 8 months ago)

I've even seen Dr. Peepee post about how good Dogy's Doc was. And the more I think about it, I saw Dogy vs Dr. Peepee at CEO and he came pretty close to taking matches of off Dr. Peepee.

Yep, ATL South Docs are legit. (And me too, you guys just haven't seen me yet)

Btw, I DO agree with you about the placings not being as important as who you beat to get to that place. I've been seeing that at just about every tournament I've gone to. I've even seen that sort of thing outside of the melee scene. Sorry *** noobs could only place higher than me in a free-for-all match on Halo 2 if they ran into the easy guys to get kills off of all the time. Had they ran into me all game instead, they wouldn't have gotten a chance to blink.

username12345678

Smash Apprentice
sup guys

gonna be MM'ing a luigi in a couple of weeks.

besides what was in dogy's matchup guide (grounded pills CC ect) any advice?

also is battlefield a good place to take him?

BigWenz

Smash Ace
sup guys

up air is ur friend.

watch out for luigi's nair. it will combo break the *** out of u so much if u blindly rush in. Everytime u throw and try to follow always keep in mind he may try to nair u before u can get ur move out. Best thing to do is if u see a luigi gets nair happy is to bait his nair after ud throw him/send him a distance etc and then punish.

edgeguarding luigi is tedious but not too difficult. Minus bul**** misfires just keep bairing the *** out of him. If u try caping his Up B be careful cause some luigis like to reverse Up B since their expecting u 2 cape and u end up saving them.

as for stages, their really isnt a bad stage for this match up. Pick what ur most comfortable with.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
sup guys

Well the pills are really good for pissing off the Luigi. They keep him from wavedashing so freely, which is beautiful since that Luigi's fastest approach. But they definitely don't win the matchup alone unless the Luigi can't find a way around the projectile, lol.

Don't challenge Luigi's aerials head up, it's a bad idea. Like if you know Luigi is gonna try d-airing, don't try to beat it with an up-air from underneath. The only way to beat Luigi's d-air legitimately would be to b-air it from the side or space a cape.

Don't challenge his up-smash either, it combos and kills. Luigi's uptilt is also a bad thing to get caught in; that move combos well also.

And if you get Luigi in the air off of some move like d-throw/up-air/up-tilt just be careful to avoid over-extending the combo. Luigi gets out of hitstun pretty fast and can easily disrupt a lot of Doc's combo by n-airing his way out. (I'm not convinced that Doc's d-throw -> f-air works on Luigi. But I could be wrong. It could always work if Luigi doesn't have the reflexes to jump out/n-air out in time.)

I suppose Battlefield messes with Luigi's recovery. But Luigi's recovery ain't that great anyway.

Other than that, just watch for Luigi gimmicks: wavedashing in and out with f-tilts/grabs/upsmash/dsmash/up-tilts/shield and shorthop(SH) double aerials vs SH aerial into wavelands. All of those are very good mix up approaches for Luigi. The only other real move Luigi has on us is down-B, which is easy to punish out of shield as long as you know how to wavedash out of shield.

BigWenz

Smash Ace
dthrow kobe does work its just u gotta be really quick.

other options are as i said is to downthrow, wait/bait for the nair then kobe

also dont try it at low percents cause it will never work at lower percents only at kill percents

Top Bottom