• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
Imagine if the concept of "deeper gameplay vs. roster size" happens again with Smash...

...but now it's those who WANT deeper gameplay telling fans of the bigger roster that they're stuck in the past and need to move to the new game.
This would assume that Sakurai ever decides to essentially resurrect the Melee mechanics into a newer game, but yes, the irony wasn't lost on me.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Dude if the Nintendo Switch could handle 86 different characters and 116 stages, just think what could be possible with future smash games on better hardware.
The amount of characters had nothing to do with how many fighters the hardware can store. It has to do with them having fighter models that were up to par with the hardware's standards already. Stronger hardware means more time has to be spent (re)modeling fighters, in fact, taking away resources from a potentially bigger roster.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I remember when I was told I was crazy (and stupid) for believing they would keep all of Wii U.

That said…there are too many variables to suggest how the next Smash would end up at this point. We don’t even know if Sakurai will be returning to direct the game, or what the future of the game looks like. I personally feel this is probably what he considers his magnum opus; an absolutely amazing crossover due the sheer amount of capital involved.

Now, could it happen again? Nothing is impossible, so sure. But that assumes much about each of the many non-Nintendo characters or properties that would need to be obtained.

I may not truly move into the next Smash game, but that’s ok. I’ll (hopefully) get all the amiibo (seriously, Sora better get one!) and hopefully figure out a good way to print the Everyone is Here poster, and I can celebrate this game. It basically brings together MANY of my interests in gaming so I am living my best life.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The guy who will Continue should be someone from Nintendo.
It can't be Doug Bowser, since he could turn Smash 6 into Cash Grab game.
Or it Can't be Miyamoto, since he has over 65 years old and I don't know that he can handle this series.
I think I can be someone from Bandai Namco, like President of Bandai Namco or someone from Nintendo again.
How about the someone be a person that Sakurai chooses or gives his blessings to?

ZelDan

Smash Master
I remember when I was told I was crazy (and stupid) for believing they would keep all of Wii U.

That said…there are too many variables to suggest how the next Smash would end up at this point. We don’t even know if Sakurai will be returning to direct the game, or what the future of the game looks like. I personally feel this is probably what he considers his magnum opus; an absolutely amazing crossover due the sheer amount of capital involved.

Now, could it happen again? Nothing is impossible, so sure. But that assumes much about each of the many non-Nintendo characters or properties that would need to be obtained.

I may not truly move into the next Smash game, but that’s ok. I’ll (hopefully) get all the amiibo (seriously, Sora better get one!) and hopefully figure out a good way to print the Everyone is Here poster, and I can celebrate this game. It basically brings together MANY of my interests in gaming so I am living my best life.
To be fair they didn't keep ALL of Smash Wii U in Ultimate (R.I.P Woolly World stage and that crazy as hell Star Fox stage. Maybe some others I'm forgetting...)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To be fair they didn't keep ALL of Smash Wii U in Ultimate (R.I.P Woolly World stage and that crazy as hell Star Fox stage. Maybe some others I'm forgetting...)
The DKC Returns stage, and Miiverse for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
So, what indie characters may have a chance in the next game? I can say that some indie characters might not return depending on conditions from their creator and the internet itself.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
The one good thing about Ultimate being the last massive Smash is that it won’t feel like a waste of time modding the game only to feel obsoleted by the next one. With how much content we already have, I think Ultimate is probably the best base for modding a Smash game we’re ever going to get.
I can't see Ultimate modding taking over Brawl modding modding for a few reasons. Number One: Brawl has a decade head start. There are already a ton of really well made Brawl mods, and a significant chunk of the Ultimate cast has been backported. Number 2: It's a lot easier to mod Brawl. I wouldn't want to mess with my main switch, so my options for modding Ultimate are to buy another or to Emulate. The former is too expensive, the latter is too intensive to run on my PC. On the other hand, Pre-owned Wiis and Wii Us are much less expensive (and there are more of them, though not for long) and Dolphin is much less intensive. I think Ultimate modding will be a thing, but it won't dethrone brawl.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Eh, a bunch of us believed they'd just do Wii U Deluxe anyway, you were never crazy/stupid for that.
I appreciate this, lol. However, I quite distinctly remember it. There were some folks who just didn’t understand, or said, “Nintendo doesn’t have the money to pay everybody.” “I can’t believe you would think something so ridiculous!” Etc, etc…

But here we are.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I can't see Ultimate modding taking over Brawl modding modding for a few reasons. Number One: Brawl has a decade head start. There are already a ton of really well made Brawl mods, and a significant chunk of the Ultimate cast has been backported. Number 2: It's a lot easier to mod Brawl. I wouldn't want to mess with my main switch, so my options for modding Ultimate are to buy another or to Emulate. The former is too expensive, the latter is too intensive to run on my PC. On the other hand, Pre-owned Wiis and Wii Us are much less expensive (and there are more of them, though not for long) and Dolphin is much less intensive. I think Ultimate modding will be a thing, but it won't dethrone brawl.
That’s probably true but Ultimate has a lot of potential that Brawl lacked. Most importantly, one slot voice mods. It always felt weird in Brawl that most mods didn’t have their proper voice. I did really enjoy making Brawl mods back in the day and actually managed to become one of the most downloaded modders (under the name Aafyre) but I’m more interested in Ultimate’s potential as far as the future is concerned.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
With sora being announced I just literally realised that 2 of my theories came true that I haven’t mentioned on here.

the last fighter was a 2000’s rep so I was right about that. I remember saying last Month that we had 2 1900-1999 reps in the pass, 2 2010-2020 reps in the pass and only 1 2000-2009 rep in this pass so we were probably ending the pass on a 2000s rep

and then the other thing I was right about was us ending on a character with a sad theme playing.

I remember saying as well last month that min min starts with cheery music and pyra&mythra are the middle character who have that “we’re nearly there” vibe music so the last character was most likely gonna have a sad theme playing meaning it was gonna be a character who’s associated with sad music which was right as we got sora.

I’m glad 2 of my out there theories came true.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
I can get disliking cuts but honestly but like a port with only a handful of newcomers? Like spare me the game and just give me the fighters as dlc at that point.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
With sora being announced I just literally realised that 2 of my theories came true that I haven’t mentioned on here.

the last fighter was a 2000’s rep so I was right about that. I remember saying last Month that we had 2 1900-1999 reps in the pass, 2 2010-2020 reps in the pass and only 1 2000-2009 rep in this pass so we were probably ending the pass on a 2000s rep

and then the other thing I was right about was us ending on a character with a sad theme playing.

I remember saying as well last month that min min starts with cheery music and pyra&mythra are the middle character who have that “we’re nearly there” vibe music so the last character was most likely gonna have a sad theme playing meaning it was gonna be a character who’s associated with sad music which was right as we got sora.

I’m glad 2 of my out there theories came true.
I feel like they count Steve as a 2010s rep as well, at least in All-Star mode they do. Even though Minecraft was already popular in 2009 so idk about that. But if we take it at face value, in that sense Sora is the only 2000s rep in either of the passes. Repping our PS2 childhoods.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I get that this is the unprecedented "there's no topping this" game and that it's natural to only want them to build off it going forward.

But the game isn't going anywhere. If/when a new game releases, you'll still be able to play Ultimate. In fact we may be doing so for a lot longer than ever before if Sakurai really takes his long deserved break from the series. And unlike prior ones, we really do have "everything up until this point" in this game.

Going back to play Melee/Brawl/Smash 4 even always felt bittersweet when you knew the content wouldn't all be there as it was in the others, but this game literally has everything, it's not just gonna be forgotten the instance a potential new one (assuming it has a new direction, which of course it would) comes into existence.
Except in the tournament scene. I expect cancelled tournaments to happen for this game just like with the rest. A realshame considering the exceptional roster this one has.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Now you just made me imagine Sora's trailer but with Waluigi and his hat in place of Sora and the keyblade.
I would love if when the characters turn to see who emerges from the gate, and it's Waluigi, they just react with disgust and disappointment. Other than Wario, who is elated. That'd be an amazing trailer. :laugh:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
If they ever did another ballot, I'd assume these characters would probably have a massive glow up in comparison to the last one

• Waluigi
  • Master Chief
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Geno
  • Dante
  • Doom Slayer
  • Undertale/Deltarune thing
No Isaac? Truly a shame.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If they ever did another ballot, I'd assume these characters would probably have a massive glow up in comparison to the last one

• Waluigi
  • Master Chief
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Geno
  • Dante
  • Doom Slayer
  • Undertale/Deltarune thing
Yeah, none of those characters probably did that well on the first ballot, even Geno (who was in a popularity lull) or Waluigi (who had been AT'd).

No Isaac? Truly a shame.
Unlike those characters, Isaac presumably did quite well on the first, so even if he can just maintain that, he'd be in a good place.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You know one thing I hate about Sora being last?

We can't complete the Sephiroth Challenge with his KHII costume now.

I mean, I know I can just play a match agains the CPU... but come on, it's about the boss fight experience.

Shroob

Sup?
You know one thing I hate about Sora being last?

We can't complete the Sephiroth Challenge with his KHII costume now.

I mean, I know I can just play a match agains the CPU... but come on, it's about the boss fight experience.
Isn't the Sephiroth challenge a date thing? Or was it exclusive to a specific patch? I know some people have found a way to replay it but it may involve hacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom