• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
My question is: how long will it take for the suport theads to get shut down after the final reveal?
They should at least wait until the final Mr. Sakurai Presents so that the threads can discuss who they think the last Miis will be. If you’re on a character specific thread and your character isn’t the last character, Miis are the next best thing you can shoot for.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So aside from the possibility of wanting to do a separate individual Sakurai Presents ??? as a means of keeping the hype going on a little longer (Notably Sakurai thanking everyone that had followed these 3 and a half years as well as honoring and talking about Ultimate coming to an end) due to being the final fighter? Would there be any other reason for Nintendo to hold him/her off a bit given the trailer is most certainly done at this point?

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So aside from the possibility of wanting to do a separate individual Sakurai Presents ??? as a means of keeping the hype longer (Notably Sakurai thanking everyone that had followed these 3 and a half years as well as honoring and talking about Ultimate coming to an end) due to being the final fighter? Would there be any other reason for Nintendo to hold him/her off a bit given the trailer is most certainly done at this point?
No.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
So aside from the possibility of wanting to do a separate individual Sakurai Presents ??? as a means of keeping the hype going on a little longer (Notably Sakurai thanking everyone that had followed these 3 and a half years as well as honoring and talking about Ultimate coming to an end) due to being the final fighter? Would there be any other reason for Nintendo to hold him/her off a bit given the trailer is most certainly done at this point?
I can’t think of anything really. Character is probably in the late stages of development and unless the trailer is a movie that should be done. Maybe rights issues but thats stacking a hypothetical on top off a hypothetical.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not to mention its been over 3 months since Kazuya, why hold it off longer aside from wanting to continue the hype a little longer? I'll be honestly confused if we just get a Sakurai Presents ??? announcement tomorrow which keeping expectations low am expecting.

SKX31

Smash Master
To pass the time with a random talking point, would you say :ultmegaman: is the best designed Smash 4 newcomer character from a moveset and gameplay perspective?
Difficult to say honestly.

I like that his moveset is atypical - it gives him quite a lot of versatility through those atypical moves and serve as good references to his games. Someone tries to play the distance game? Metal Blade and Crash Bomber help to cover those opponents. Someone tries to jump at the Mega Man player? Flame Sword and Mega Upper got that covered. Someone's threatening Megaman's shield? Pellets, Leaf Shield and Spark Shock are very useful "Get off me!" attacks. The attacks also come from a wide variety of Megaman games which is great to see - the only game not covered up until Megaman's inclusion IIRC is 10. I'm not gonna lose sleep over that, but it'd be cool to see a RM weapon from that game and / or 11 in future Smash appearances.

However, those atypical moves give him that polarization that SMAASH! Puppy talked about, which can be a blessing and a curse depending on the exact situation. A :ulthero: gets Bounce? ****, now Megaman has no choice but to go in as long as Bounce lasts - which plays into Hero's hands since he doesn't lack stuff that outranges Mega Man. Other reflectors can give him quite a lot of trouble too, as do characters who don't care about his projectiles or his lack of truly safe KO attacks (:ultlucario: certainly doesn't, that's free Aura in a lot of situations). OTOH, Air Shooter can juggle people - especially big characters - for seemingly ever and Mega Man's attacks do a great job at discombobulating opponents. :ultsnake: is a really good example, since most of Mega Man's projectiles can blow up his explosives and Snake has to get in close more often as a result. Floaty characters can also have trouble vs. Mega Man's assortment of attacks for those reasons.

In the end, I lean towards "Yes from a canon perspective, no from a gameplay perspective". I still like how Mega Man's designed, though.

If you want my opinion on the best designed from a gameplay perspective... kinda leaning towards :ultrosalina: right now. A very atypical "Wall" character that isn't too daunting for newcomers (if unassuming at first glance), she and Luma nevertheless have the ability to play a honest defensive game and switch it up with surprisingly strong punishes. The main issue is that the learning curve beyond the casual level can be rather steep with her, but she's still a great example of what I look for with defensive characters.

I was kinda considering the biased answer: :ultcloud: , but he's very straightforward gameplaywise.

At this point, I'm just hoping for a few bonus stages (perhaps a few of the ones from the old titles that haven't come back?) just as a nice final gift to finish out Smash.
I'd particularily favor bringing back Poke Floats. Its jank was a lot of its charm, although it could use some fine tuning (specifically so that people don't phase through the floats on ocassion, as happened in the linked video).

Same goes for quite a few past stages, but it's specifically applicable to Floats.

Give me Legacy Battlefields and FDs, please.
Honestly wouldn't mind those as "Skins" for Battlefield / FD. My only issues were how bright Smash 4's FD could be at points. Oh and I'd like to avoid Melee Battlefield's / Brawl FD's edge jank.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wouldn’t mind also a separate tab on the stages screen for the WoL stages assuming they don’t fill the last three stage spots (I’m HOPING they don’t, I have my own dream stages to fill those)

yeah I’m referring to Galleom’s, Rathalos’s, Marx’s, Ganon’s, and the Final Battle Galeem/Dharkon stages

we saw Galleom’s at the end of Joker’s proper trailer too

Shroob

Sup?
I wouldn’t mind also a separate tab on the stages screen for the WoL stages assuming they don’t fill the last three stage spots (I’m HOPING they don’t, I have my own dream stages to fill those)

yeah I’m referring to Galleom’s, Rathalos’s, Marx’s, Ganon’s, and the Final Battle Galeem/Dharkon stages

we saw Galleom’s at the end of Joker’s proper trailer too
At this point I feel like those spaces will just remain blank.

Technomage

Smash Champion
So, anyone got any predictions? Just for fun, I'm gonna make an unlikely prediction: A character that does NOT follow Thirst Theory in any way, shape or form (couldn't resist; sorry not sorry). XD

Ivander

Smash Legend
So, anyone got any predictions?
My last prediction was:
1. Phantasy Star character
2. Master Chief
3. Chosen Undead from Dark Souls
4. Reimu from Touhou
5. Bill Rizer & Lance Bean from Contra

Those 5 predictions I feel are very likely IMO, aside from the common Splatoon and Pokemon predictions. If I had to add any others I feel are underdogs, they are Saber from Fate/Stay Night, Adol Christin from Ys and either Gran/Djeeta or Katalina from Granblue Fantasy.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I predict it won't be...

A Bandai Namco character
A Nintendo character
A SEGA character
A Capcom character
A Konami character
Any Western character

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just gotta say that if the three characters we receive this year were revealed at the H1, E3, and H2 Directs, and all followed the rough release interval present throughout the entire pass, you really played yourself investing in wacky theories of reveals in consecutive months or right before or after a scheduled Direct, or a disproportionately long time after the last character, so on and so forth. And these were not uncommon theories.

Because what we got was literally the most straightforward outcome. Reveals at Directs when Directs happen, at a pretty consistent rate of release from which to extrapolate the reveal timing. Nintendo's MO was actually very simple, and nevertheless people got way far in the weeds with it.

In part because using 2020 reveals as any kind of worthwhile precedent is a flawed idea from the jump. That year didn't even have a single normal Direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom