• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
As someone who's played classic Worms (2 + its expansion Armageddon) during my childhood days:

Worms in game move slowly - like a crawl, they're worms after all - and have an extremely low jump, to the point they often need additional weapons / abilities to get to higher places. In return though...

Well, the Worms pack so much heat it would put an entire ****ing squadron of Navy SEALS to shame. They have everything:

• Standard weapons from the trusty Bazooka, Uzis, grenades and airstrikes.
  • Karate moves for CQC, everything from a purely vertical Shoryuken to turning the Worms into their version of :ulthero: 's Kamikaze. Oh and the Prod for when you want to be extra disrespectful and push other Worms into the insta-kill water.
  • The sillier weapons, like exploding sheep (as well as exploding Super-Sheep), exploding Holy Hand Grenades, Exploding Grandmas...
  • Oh and then the "**** you weapons" like giant Donkey statues that come down from the sky (okay the Donkey statue is a cheat weapon, but still, could be a Final Smash).

So yeah, Worms' moveset potential would be insane.
To add on to this, if they don’t want the character to just be named “Worm”, they’d most likely call him “Boggy B”, since Boggy B is kind of the “the Worm” of the franchise.

A thing you forgot to mention is just how self-destructive Worms are to themselves if your aim is bad, to a degree that makes Snake look like a wimp for having such relatively safe explosives. You can’t even safely shoot someone with a gun at point blank since the bullets have too much AOE!

The most recent main series game is Worms WMD. (The most recent game overall is Worms Rumble, which is a sidescrolling platformer-shooter spinoff.) Their main arsenal hasn’t changed, although there’s some new weapons of course. Probably the most notable recurring new thing from games later than Armageddon is the Sentry Gun, though, which fires at enemies it sees moving (so you can avoid setting it off by standing still, although that implementation wouldn’t work too well in Smash probably.)

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I can see the Worms using the melee weapons for normals (like the Baseball Bat for side smash and Prod for side or down tilt).

The trick would be that side, up and down specials would basically be tied to extra movement options (I'd imagine the Worms would have the worst stats in the game, considering how their home series plays), but their neutral special would be Command Menu on steroids, with a bunch of guns, rockets and grenades to use.

Plus, they woud have to take water damage like the Fire-Type mons. :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

It's CLEARLY Audino, the superio gen V mon according to Ken Sugimori as that's the only gen V mon that got a mega even though Hydreigon's unused concept of mecha king Ghidorah makes it an obvious choice
There was a mecha king ghidorah concept? Oh man...that would have been awesome.

Freakin' Audino...he was nothing but a new-age Chansey with its giant exp bonus.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There was a mecha king ghidorah concept? Oh man...that would have been awesome.

Freakin' Audino...he was nothing but a new-age Chansey with its giant exp bonus.
Yeah, you can see that concept in the final design
download (3).jpeg

Those purple markings on the body? Those were meant to be tank tracks.

Can't believe we went 2 days in a row where dinosaur tanks get brought up

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Yeah, that's the problem everyone seems to have, I think. RTC at least steps out beyond the handful we only talk about, but I think some people are turned away by the rating/score-based nature and the posts of "I don't like this character, they aren't happening."

I'm kinda hoping that if we do a similar idea without any ratings, it could help start up some more conversations. New characters, plus a bit less negativity or essays needed, and it would feel a fair bit more open. At least, that's what I'm hoping.
In general, I think the thing that made me step away from RTC for a while is that, like... I'm not really interested in how likely characters are, and the thread is named after that. And there's the want scores, but in so many lines those often boil down to "I want this character in". It is fun getting your obscure fave up on the big stage, though, but oftentimes you end up with a bunch of abstains.

I guess what I find more interesting is discussion about the sort of thing a character would come with - movesets, primarily, but maybe also stages and music and the like. Pillow Pillow and Gengar84 Gengar84 kind of touched on this point as well. The SSB Infinite thread is scratching that itch a little for me, but it requires characters I'm passionate about to get voted in, and there's no way I stand a chance submitting Zero from Zero Escape.

What the most rewarding part of something like this is, though, is getting detailed feedback on this sort of thing. On whether or not the moveset is well put together, and that sort of thing. It really drives home that someone's just paid attention to something I did, you know? The SSBI thread has voting, but votes don't tend to come with further comments. It keeps things moving, but it'd be nice to somehow encourage further discussion on someone's ideas.

I don't know, am I off-center from the type of thread y'all are envisioning? I think it'd be fun to make this sort of... content reification thread a reality.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

Is this a hint, or just confirmation we're waiting until E3? I'm terrible with time...
Reads like a joke since E3 is in 5 or 6 weeks.

WOW I actually cannot read. No that would mean they have news to share in the next five weeks, so even before E3.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Is this a hint, or just confirmation we're waiting until E3? I'm terrible with time...
It's a joke about E3 being soon

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

5-7 weeks lines up very well with the usual E3 timeline.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, you can see that concept in the final design
View attachment 313652
Those purple markings on the body? Those were meant to be tank tracks.

Can't believe we went 2 days in a row where dinosaur tanks get brought up
Ohhh..I do remember hearing that, but I thought it was because he was actually somewhat based on a German tank of some sort.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In general, I think the thing that made me step away from RTC for a while is that, like... I'm not really interested in how likely characters are, and the thread is named after that. And there's the want scores, but in so many lines those often boil down to "I want this character in". It is fun getting your obscure fave up on the big stage, though, but oftentimes you end up with a bunch of abstains.

I guess what I find more interesting is discussion about the sort of thing a character would come with - movesets, primarily, but maybe also stages and music and the like. Pillow Pillow and Gengar84 Gengar84 kind of touched on this point as well. The SSB Infinite thread is scratching that itch a little for me, but it requires characters I'm passionate about to get voted in, and there's no way I stand a chance submitting Zero from Zero Escape.

What the most rewarding part of something like this is, though, is getting detailed feedback on this sort of thing. On whether or not the moveset is well put together, and that sort of thing. It really drives home that someone's just paid attention to something I did, you know? The SSBI thread has voting, but votes don't tend to come with further comments. It keeps things moving, but it'd be nice to somehow encourage further discussion on someone's ideas.

I don't know, am I off-center from the type of thread y'all are envisioning? I think it'd be fun to make this sort of... content reification thread a reality.
Yeah, more or less. Aside from that, my idea was also just getting people interested in a series. Ask questions about the setting and all that. I know we have dedicated support threads for this stuff, but I feel like having a thread that cycles through different characters would help people not familiar with the characters get invested and generally have something new to talk about.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
AU where the Masked Man was the one without a spirit and was the popular request.

Very good universe.
But how would we mock the Masked Man spirit being a stolen DeviantArt sprite?

Merengue

Smash Journeyman

Here's some music to vibe to while speculating

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord

Sounds about right. If you're willing to organize and manage the discussion, then go ahead and start it. At worst, not enough people are interested and the thread dies out, but may as well give it a shot.

May I just say that this is a hell of a way to start a page
Merengue's pfp really takes it home.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Speaking of Zer0, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone bring up Borderlands until now. There are a lot of fun characters from those games that could make for a cool Smash character honestly.
I loved Borderlands 2 and Gaige is one of my "never gonna happen" dream picks.
But a BL-rep overall would be pretty awesome. Just think about how a trailer would look like.

Gaige & Deathtrap.png

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I really wish they would have added more bosses in this game. We only have four from videogames other than Smash (Marx, Dracula, Rathalos and Ganon). Not even a true Mario boss.
For Pokémon, that would have been the best occasion to give an important role to gen 5, it's the only generation that, not matter how you justify it, is not represented (some would say the Pkmn Trainer represented the third generation). Zekrom would have been cool for example.
Metroid also has tons of giant enemies. Or Star Fox with Andross.

Or, if that was difficult, at least diversity in the bonus stage. Why is it ALWAYS the same course?

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Yeah, more or less. Aside from that, my idea was also just getting people interested in a series. Ask questions about the setting and all that. I know we have dedicated support threads for this stuff, but I feel like having a thread that cycles through different characters would help people not familiar with the characters get invested and generally have something new to talk about.
Yeah, encouraging questions would be great, too! And discussion, and in general a more relaxed and creative vibe to contrast the more analytical focus of RTC. I kinda like the idea of calling it an "exploration thread". Like a "character exploration thread" or a "series exploration thread"... I'm not sure what exactly to say we're exploring, but I think that conveys the sort of feel we would be going for.

Sounds about right. If you're willing to organize and manage the discussion, then go ahead and start it. At worst, not enough people are interested and the thread dies out, but may as well give it a shot.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind being part of the group running it (or even the thread manager), but I'd want some time to figure out how best to organize it. I don't really think a direct copy of the RTC structure would work here, so we'd have to think about it.

D

Deleted member

I really wish they would have added more bosses in this game. We only have four from videogames other than Smash (Marx, Dracula, Rathalos and Ganon). Not even a true Mario boss.
For Pokémon, that would have been the best occasion to give an important role to gen 5, it's the only generation that, not matter how you justify it, is not represented (some would say the Pkmn Trainer represented the third generation). Zekrom would have been cool for example.
Metroid also has tons of giant enemies. Or Star Fox with Andross.

Or, if that was difficult, at least diversity in the bonus stage. Why is it ALWAYS the same course?
Gen 5 at least has a stage, the Unova Champion League, and 7 pokeball pokemon: Oshawott, Kyurem, Zoroark, Keldeo, Snivy, Genesect, and Meleotta

Gen 8 just had 5 spirits from an event and that was it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, encouraging questions would be great, too! And discussion, and in general a more relaxed and creative vibe to contrast the more analytical focus of RTC. I kinda like the idea of calling it an "exploration thread". Like a "character exploration thread" or a "series exploration thread"... I'm not sure what exactly to say we're exploring, but I think that conveys the sort of feel we would be going for.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind being part of the group running it (or even the thread manager), but I'd want some time to figure out how best to organize it. I don't really think a direct copy of the RTC structure would work here, so we'd have to think about it.
I think the inherent issue with an 'exploration' thread is that RTC lets you influence who happens in the next ratings with nominations, meaning people feel a reason to stay beyond just what they care about, that bit of input incentivizes people to stick around even if a character they may not care about gets discussed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom