• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I got a new topic: Since SOOOOOOO many characters' Classic Mode bosses are the Hands (which everyone's been getting tired of), if there were an Ultimate Deluxe or even an update to Ultimate where some chars' bosses are changed, what changes would you make to the Classic routes? My picks:

:ultsamus: Replace Hands with Galleom, since robots like him would fitthe Metroid theme.
:ultdarksamus:Keep the Hands, since in SSE and WoL, they are actually corrupted good guys forced to side with the main villains, similar to the rest of DS's opponents in her route.
:ultfox: Change his boss to Marx, who is a space traveler like the rest of Fox's opponents.
:ultpeach: Replace Hands with Giga Bowser, an obvious kidnapper.
:ultdaisy: Add Peach with her black costume as a boss fought immediately before the Hands (referencing Shadow Queen Peach).
:ultsheik: Replace the Hands with Galleom, who wears a mask.
:ultdoc: Change his boss to Rathalos, who is red.
:ultlucina: Change her boss to Rathalos, to reference Grima.
:ultroy: Change his boss to Ganon, the only sword-wielding boss in the game.
:ultchrom: Maybe change his boss to Rathalos (which comes immediately after fighting Robin), to reference Grima. On the other Hand, fighting the Hands also references FEA's Pair Up mechanic.
:ultike: Change his Boss to Dracula, who wears a black suit.
:ultsonic: Replace the Hands with Galleom, as a reference to the kinds of giant machines that Eggman likes to use.
:ultkingdedede: Replace the Hands with either Giga Bowser, Ganon, or maybe even Dracula, though Dracula is a noble, not a royal (the latter of which is the theme of Dedede's route)
:ultolimar: Same with Fox.
:ultvillager: Change his boss to Marx, who at first appears to be unsuited for combat, continuing the theme of the Villager's route.
:ultwiifittrainer: Change her boss to Marx, a round character.
:ultgreninja: Replace the Hands with either Rathalos (to represent the Dragon type), Galleom (to represent the Steel type), or Dracula (to represent the Ghost and Dark types)
:ultpalutena: Replace the Hands with Dracula, who is a mythological character in real-life.
:ultshulk: Change his boss to Wolf and Galleom (to represent Mumkhar).
:ultbowserjr: Same as Daisy.
:ultcloud: Replace the Hands with Galleom, who can transform into a tank.
:ultisabelle: Same with Daisy.
:ultincineroar: Replace the Hands with Giga Bowser, who is as much of a wrestler as normal Bowser.
:ultbyleth: Replace the Hands with Palutena and Rathalos, to reference Rhea.

I was just thinking about it and imagine how much of a giant curveball it’d be if we got Zero as one of the last DLC characters. A lot of people are thinking that we wouldn’t get a CAPCOM character bc of the Mii costumes, but even if we did nobody would expect another Mega Man character. I would be all for it especially for the Mega Man X music that we have a huge lack of but I feel like a lot of people would be really upset about it.

(honestly I just want another CAPCOM character idc who it is there’s just so many good choices)
Plus, Zero could also come with MMZ music, especially if he enters the roster as his respective incarnation.

Respectfully, this is one of the worst takes I've had the pleasure of seeing on these forums.

Smash Bros. Ultimate is an E10+ game. While censorship can go a long way, characters from games defined by having explicit sexual content will absolutely not be in Smash. Take the word of the director, the game is "for good boys and girls."
Sakurai never actually said that; it's an ad lib made by his translators.

Are we still talking about Fate? That series didn't have a racy game since 2004 and that version wasn't even officially made its way overseas or re-released without censoring. Grand Order and other games regularly make collaborations with family-friendly brands, including Wendys of all things.

I don't think we're getting a Fate character, at all. But if Nintendo is fine with Pyra and Mythra's artist doing NSFW art or Little Mac's voice actor doing voice-over for an eroge game in the past, I doubt they'll draw a hard line at Fate.
Speaking of Fate, if it were to get a playable rep in Smash, what are the chances of it being Astolfo? He'd be the first crossdresser to enter Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
On the topic of stagnation due to the same cycle of characters, ku-****ing-dos to the RTC thread's structure allowing for different ****. Today's rating Spectrobes, a game damn near nobody ever talks about. And a month ago had Worms, a ridiculously popular franchise nobody here ever talked about here at all despite how cool the idea actually is. I thinl the stagnation issue's mostly because people want to talk about their favourites instead of what they like and if something else they like gets brought up, others don't really know it well enough to talk about it so the topic gets dropped quickly

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I got a new topic: Since SOOOOOOO many characters' Classic Mode bosses are the Hands (which everyone's been getting tired of), if there were an Ultimate Deluxe or even an update to Ultimate where some chars' bosses are changed, what changes would you make to the Classic routes? My picks:

:ultsamus: Replace Hands with Galleom, since robots like him would fitthe Metroid theme.
:ultdarksamus:Keep the Hands, since in SSE and WoL, they are actually corrupted good guys forced to side with the main villains, similar to the rest of DS's opponents in her route.
:ultfox: Change his boss to Marx, who is a space traveler like the rest of Fox's opponents.
:ultdaisy: Add Peach with her black costume as a boss fought immediately before the Hands (referencing Shadow Queen Peach).
:ultchrom: Maybe change his boss to Rathalos (which comes immediately after fighting Robin), to reference Grima. On the other Hand, fighting the Hands also references FEA's Pair Up mechanic.
:ultsonic: Replace the Hands with Galleom, as a reference to the kinds of giant machines that Eggman likes to use.
:ultkingdedede: Replace the Hands with either Giga Bowser, Ganon, or maybe even Dracula, though Dracula is a noble, not a royal (the latter of which is the theme of Dedede's route)
:ultvillager: Change his boss to Marx, who at first appears to be unsuited for combat, continuing the theme of the Villager's route.
:ultgreninja: Replace the Hands with either Rathalos (to represent the Dragon type), Galleom (to represent the Steel type), or Dracula (to represent the Ghost and Dark types)
:ultpalutena: Replace the Hands with Dracula, who is a mythological character in real-life.
:ultincineroar: Replace the Hands with Giga Bowser, who is as much of a wrestler as normal Bowser.

Plus, Zero could also come with MMZ music, especially if he enters the roster as his respective incarnation.

Sakurai never actually said that; it's an ad lib made by his translators.

Speaking of Fate, if it were to get a playable rep in Smash, what are the chances of it being Astolfo? He'd be the first crossdresser to enter Smash.
Oooh I like many of these

I want one to reference Mr. L from Super Paper Mario but idk which Mario character to use

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How about Mario himself?
I was thinking more Bowser as he’s an ally in SPM, and Mario’s should remain Giga Bowser

but Bowser’s like oop I’m fighting Mario’s brainwashed brother

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
On the topic of stagnation due to the same cycle of characters, ku-*ing-dos to the RTC thread's structure allowing for different *. Today's rating Spectrobes, a game damn near nobody ever talks about. And a month ago had Worms, a ridiculously popular franchise nobody here ever talked about here at all despite how cool the idea actually is. I thinl the stagnation issue's mostly because people want to talk about their favourites instead of what they like and if something else they like gets brought up, others don't really know it well enough to talk about it so the topic gets dropped quickly
Worms is interesting but other than the fact that the franchise is huge (over 70 million copies sold) I don't know enough about it to start a conversation on it.

cothero

Smash Lord
So I may have come to a realization. Sephiroth is a curveball in speculation because not many people were expecting him, and he broke some established rules, like Villain DLC and 2nd Unique Rep for 3rd party

However I think Sephiroth may have done something bigger. He may also have hurt the Assist Trophy argument. and as for how...

Base game was not made with DLC in Mind

Lots of Smash Bros. tidbits from Sakurai - DLC talk, Goku unlikely, not thinking about another ballot, more - Nintendo Everything

DLC was only approved of sometime after January of 2018, which by that time the Base game was far into development. While there may have been discussions on potential DLC, the Base game was not made with DLC in Mind, meaning the base game was made in mind that the base game was gonna be it. This includes the Negotiations for the 3rd party characters and roles, which brings us the the next point

It took 2 DLC Passes for Sephiroth to be in Smash

a Legendary character like Sephiroth had to wait not only past the base game, but FP1 in order to be DLC. There is an argument that Sephiroth, along with Steve may have always been planned to be added as DLC even if a Full FP2 was not a thing. even with that being the case, it's still a fact that Sephiroth and Steve both missed the base game, and if DLC was not a thing at all, then both of them would have just have to wait until the Next Smash game

What does this have to do with Assist Trophies

This does not apply to all Assist Trophies, as I do think Assist Trophies have different circumstances from each other. this especially includes the Veteran Assist Trophies

Not every Veteran Assist returns, as we could see with Tingle, Saki, and Magnus being absent from Assist role as an example. One thing you noticed is that the Assists kept, along with some of the new Assists tended to be really popular or important characters in their own right. This was also a big reason why Isaac returned as an Assist after Missing Smash 4

So when taking into account how the Base game roster could have been the final roster we'd get in general, the Absence of certain popular Assists from their role would just be weird. This is especially true for 3rd party Assists, since they have negotiations tied to them

What separates a veteran party Assist and someone like Sephiroth, is that Sephiroth has never made an appearance in Smash up until he became playable, so his absence up until then was not something to take note of, meanwhile with any Veteran Assist Trophy, their absence would be a weird omission. In the case of 3rd parties, the Veteran Assist Trophy would have to be negotiated very early on, so if DLC is decided later, they already did negotiate for the character in Assist Role back during Base game

And with New 3rd party Assists, they still would have to be negotiated early on when DLC is not a factor into Development, so if they want to showcase these characters in a more prominent role, Assist is the way to go.

Why weren't the Assists Promoted in the base roster

Like said above, Sephiroth had to wait until FP2 to become playable. Not every character can be made playable at a specific point of time. Some characters have to wait, despite having all the reasons to be made playable

This is especially true for 3rd parties since there is more that goes into making them Playable characters, has the 3rd party needs to be involved in the process of how the character is made

Bomberman

Bomberman is not playable, but he showcases how they Assists can have upgrade in role. Bomberman was likely negotiated around the time the base game was being decided, and the negotiation for His Assist and Mii Costume were likely different

What happens if there wasn't any DLC

There's a reason I mention Only Sephiroth and not Steve. Unlike Steve who's attached to a new franchise in Minecraft, Sephiroth comes from the same Universe as Cloud in FF7. If Sephiroth had to wait till next game because there wasn't gonna be any DLC, They likely would have just added him as Spirit or something like that, along with potentially some of the other content like the other FF7 Spirits, or some of the music

Is this Shadow related?

Yes it is Shadow Related. Shadow is one of 3 Veteran Assist Trophies, the others being Ghosts and Gray Fox. However Shadow is the main focus because of the merits he has to join Smash

In the case of his Assist Trophy, Seeing how constricted the base roster was, and how even Sephiroth couldn't be made into a Playable character in the Base roster, it's likely that Shadow couldn't make it in also. However unlike Sephiroth, Shadow has been an Assist in all 3 games Assists have existed in, and even if Shadow was being thought of as DLC, they Couldn't just remove his Assist. not only would it be a weird Omission since Shadow is a Popular and Important character and has no reason to be removed as an Assist, but they likely already negotiated his Assist role before base game development started and before DLC was a factor

The only way Shadow could have been made playable in base roster is through an Echo Fighter...however while Shadow theoretically works as an Echo, like in the case of Isabelle who was a popular Echo Suggestion, Shadow has his own merits for his own Fighter, and there's a very good chance that a Echo Shadow was turned down not only because Shadow has all the reasons to have substantial development time put into him, but Also Because Sega likely wouldn't work with the Echo idea, since there be alot of sacrifice on Shadow's individuality to be made an Echo

Put it like this. Shadow has comparable merits to Sephiroth, who was added as playable in FP2.

You REALLY want Shadow, don't you?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Worms is interesting but other than the fact that the franchise is huge (over 70 million copies sold) I don't know enough about it to start a conversation on it.
Yeah I'm in a similar boat, haven't touched the franchise in a decade, though from what I remember it'd be cool as **** if not only because a perfect stage for the Worms would be destructible and that sounds perfect for chaotic matches

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
In that case, I'll ask you. Why would Euden be a good choice for Smash and what cool content would they bring?
Come sit on Papa Choco's lap and I'll tell you...

(Wait, that sounded less creepy in my head).

Euden would be our first representative from Nintendo's mobile market, which they have been trying pretty hard to get into. Not only that, he would be repping Dragalia Lost, Nintendo's first original IP on mobile, which STILL has no content in Smash whatsoever. Admittedly, Euden himself may be a bit samey, being another fire sword user. However, he could potentially come with a Dragon Shifting mechanic where he can turn into Midgardsormr, arguably the most iconic Dragon in the game. Think Pyra's transformation mechanic, except the two characters play completely differently, with Midgardsormr being a wind-based Dragon. I've also seen people suggest some sort of summoning mechanic to reference Dragalia Lost being a gacha, though admittedly I can't really imagine that working...

As for the content, the music is a definite plus, being something that everybody agrees is one of the best parts of the game. Granted, some songs may have potential issues due to being performed by actual Japanese singers (such as DAOKO and Mad Kid), but hey, we managed to get FF7 music eventually. Also, while I don't know how likely it would be, there is a chance they could include content from other CyGames properties, as similar to SNK, their games have been known to crossover with each other. In this case, content from Rage of Bahamut, Princess Connect!: Re:Dive, and maybe Granblue Fantasy should be on the table.

If it helps you any, here's a video making the case for Euden in Smash. I know I'm not the best at explaining things...

SKX31

Smash Master
You put together an argument using Sakurai's own comments and precedent in the roster to support a character that isn't conventionally 'hype' or to provide a counterpoint against a sacred cow like Dante or Master Chief? "Fan rules. I win. Bye-Bye!". Alternatively, "Yeah, but Joker and Sephiroth blindsided us, so clearly none of these patterns are relevant and every other character is going to be a fastball that subverts our expectations". People like to talk about how exciting it is that all of these new options are available for Smash, but this is easily the most boring speculation period I've personally been in because no one wants to talk about anything outside of about 12 characters who have been exhausted to death at this point.
On the topic of stagnation due to the same cycle of characters, ku-*ing-dos to the RTC thread's structure allowing for different *. Today's rating Spectrobes, a game damn near nobody ever talks about. And a month ago had Worms, a ridiculously popular franchise nobody here ever talked about here at all despite how cool the idea actually is. I thinl the stagnation issue's mostly because people want to talk about their favourites instead of what they like and if something else they like gets brought up, others don't really know it well enough to talk about it so the topic gets dropped quickly

I'd blame that on unwillingness to step out of the comfort zone - which is understandable from a "Devil you know" angle, but it does lead to the problem of people going through the motions and not really considering possible alternatives from areas you don't know. Or hyper-focus on what's most recent - the whole "a 2nd villain looks much liklier now that :ultsephiroth: 's in!" only to see :ultpyra: and the tides shift after that.

Still, it feels a bit strange to see - as I've noted before - this place to stall out so completely while the competitive side of things (which was in a similar doldrum during the allegations and resulting fallout last summer) suddenly got an injection of hope and enthusiasm recently. Partly because most people have not seen the FP2 characters in action where the stakes are relatively high.

Yeah I'm in a similar boat, haven't touched the franchise in a decade, though from what I remember it'd be cool as **** if not only because a perfect stage for the Worms would be destructible and that sounds perfect for chaotic matches

As someone who's played classic Worms (2 + its expansion Armageddon) during my childhood days:

Worms in game move slowly - like a crawl, they're worms after all - and have an extremely low jump, to the point they often need additional weapons / abilities to get to higher places. In return though...

Well, the Worms pack so much heat it would put an entire ****ing squadron of Navy SEALS to shame. They have everything:

• Standard weapons from the trusty Bazooka, Uzis, grenades and airstrikes.
  • Karate moves for CQC, everything from a purely vertical Shoryuken to turning the Worms into their version of :ulthero: 's Kamikaze. Oh and the Prod for when you want to be extra disrespectful and push other Worms into the insta-kill water.
  • The sillier weapons, like exploding sheep (as well as exploding Super-Sheep), exploding Holy Hand Grenades, Exploding Grandmas...
  • Oh and then the "**** you weapons" like giant Donkey statues that come down from the sky (okay the Donkey statue is a cheat weapon, but still, could be a Final Smash).

So yeah, Worms' moveset potential would be insane.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
"Master Chief would be a cool character."
"He would be! I'm just not sure if he'll get in because it would be unprecedented to have a character with no prior Nintendo experience, his series and genre aren't very popular in the country where the game is developed, and we've already gotten a Microsoft character this pass."
"Lol look at Smashboards gatekeeping again:4pacman:"

This thread is such a ****ing joke. I think it's time to admit that we're not even really speculating at this point. We're throwing out the characters who would get the most people screaming at computer screens or would be put into our own personal MUGENs, assuming "This could happen and it would be amazing if it did, therefore it will", and marveling when our bulletproof logic evitably fails to predict who's next.

You put together an argument using Sakurai's own comments and precedent in the roster to support a character that isn't conventionally 'hype' or to provide a counterpoint against a sacred cow like Dante or Master Chief? "Fan rules. I win. Bye-Bye!". Alternatively, "Yeah, but Joker and Sephiroth blindsided us, so clearly none of these patterns are relevant and every other character is going to be a fastball that subverts our expectations". People like to talk about how exciting it is that all of these new options are available for Smash, but this is easily the most boring speculation period I've personally been in because no one wants to talk about anything outside of about 12 characters who have been exhausted to death at this point.

Honestly, Smash threads on /v/ have become more enjoyable than here. Those are usually just chaotic dumpster fires, but at least someone comes in with an original idea once in a while, like with that Louie moveset where he commands Pikmin's monsters.
I understand where you're coming from. It can be frustrating to see the same things talked about over and over again and especially for new interesting ideas to fall by the wayside. But I think this is just a natural side effect to how a thread like this works.

People want to talk about the characters that excite them, whether they are likely or not, and the stereotypically most "hype" characters are characters that excite more people. So more people are willing to talk about them. I know newer ideas pop up every once in a while. In fact, I've tried to start conversations about some here before. But typically those posts will get a couple of responses and fall into obscurity because people either don't have anything to contribute to the discussion or don't feel compelled to participate because they don't care about the character.

I do wish people would keep more of an open mind though. I think Smash has proven that most anything can be made to work and be fun. More off the wall ideas are good every once in a while.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the last two characters aren't any of these.
I don't know, I'd be pretty hyped with most of these additions. I don't care for Pokémon and I'm indifferent towards Bandana Dee, but I wouldn't be mad at all with those 2 options. Ayumi and the Octolings seem like very interesting picks to me, even if they wouldn't make me crazy.

Then there's Dixie Kong, who's one of my most wanted first party characters. Arle and Chosen Undead would be really cool, same for Yuri, Lloyd and Demi-fiend. And well, Sol is one of my most wanteds so I'd be very excited if he was added.

Personally, I don't see any of these options being more likely than other characters. At this point, I just feel anyone is fair game, even if that has been said a lot of times. But it's what I genuinely think. They could either blindside us with the next picks... or maybe not, and play it safe. Or both things.

I'd still prefer Lloyd, but I'm beginning to soften up on Yuri. I think it's a mix of me considering getting Vesperia to sate my action-RPG fix and this song I found:
That cover of Fury Sparks is very, very good.

As for Vesperia, I definitely think you would enjoy it. The combat, as happens with most long JRPGs, takes a while to open up, but it's really enjoyable once you start to have a good amount of skills and all. And well, Tales games are really anime, tho I guess that wouldn't be a problem for you. The story is nice and the soundtrack is good. And it's a long game, by the way. It depends on how much side content you do but I finished it after 70-80? hours.

I think I've seen the game very cheap during sales on the eShop.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, that's the problem everyone seems to have, I think. RTC at least steps out beyond the handful we only talk about, but I think some people are turned away by the rating/score-based nature and the posts of "I don't like this character, they aren't happening."

I'm kinda hoping that if we do a similar idea without any ratings, it could help start up some more conversations. New characters, plus a bit less negativity or essays needed, and it would feel a fair bit more open. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
As someone who is a regular at RTC, I can say that the team has been putting in more effort to convince people to be more open and have more conversations about characters, such as giving people more noms for writing a full paragraph. It has improved quite a bit from even a couple years ago where you could just leave your scores and write just one sentence or so. The people running the thread have made great strides to encourage a spirit of debate.

But yeah, some characters have suffered on there, either due to being obscure or barely having any Nintendo history and it's clear as day that a lot of people there, and on this board in general, are primarily Nintendo fans so when we rated Far Cry for example, it got murdered in chance and especially want due to Far Cry not having any games on Nintendo aside from one on the Wii.

With that said, we do encourage you to provide a link to the support thread and notify the people in that thread to go show support for their character/concept on their day. Because while some people do check out the support threads and do research before rating a character they are unfamiliar with, others don't. So we encourage participation from visitors to get a vast array of opinions and to get debates going.

Just look at the days for characters like Adol Christin for example. A bunch of his fans came in and gave solid arguments and even for Beatrice's recent day, there were some passionate fans that came in and gave a ton of info on why Beatrice/When They Cry would be a fun choice. Even if a character isn't likely, it's still a good opportunity to discuss different characters and advertise what cool content they would bring with them.

I totally get why RTC has a stigma in some regions of the internet as there are times where characters who have a decent chance of getting in are blasted with zeroes. I do wish some people there were a bit more open but at the end of the day, it is all opinions and overall it is a nice place to be at. I'm happy to be a part of it as it is civil for the most part and we are open to getting new members.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Honestly, Smash threads on /v/ have become more enjoyable than here. Those are usually just chaotic dumpster fires, but at least someone comes in with an original idea once in a while, like with that Louie moveset where he commands Pikmin's monsters.
Smash threads on /v/ are infested by Porky debates, is Pokemon deconfirmed speculations, Master Chief as the "obvious next third-party character", the same five pictures that always are posted where you have to choose two or three characters, and bots spamming the same texts.
I haven't checked one of these threads for one week and, I kid you not, I thought I went back in time.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I was just thinking about it and imagine how much of a giant curveball it’d be if we got Zero as one of the last DLC characters. A lot of people are thinking that we wouldn’t get a CAPCOM character bc of the Mii costumes, but even if we did nobody would expect another Mega Man character. I would be all for it especially for the Mega Man X music that we have a huge lack of but I feel like a lot of people would be really upset about it.

(honestly I just want another CAPCOM character idc who it is there’s just so many good choices)
I don't think it's gonna happen (for Ultimate, at least) but yeah, as I said not long ago, I've been playing the Mega Man X and Zero games and it has been a very fun ride overall, and Zero was already a character I was very interested in before playing the series, so now my interest in him has grown a lot. And I actually think he has a decent shot to make it in the future.

In fact I've been considering doing a moveset for Zero, he has quite a lot of moves in the X games that could be very fun in Smash. Then there's his MMZ incarnation, which is quite different and would also be very interesting. I thought maybe they could go with classic Zero, which is the iconic one, but with moves from both the X and Zero series, but I think that would feel very awkward and kinda wrong.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
As someone who is a regular at RTC, I can say that the team has been putting in more effort to convince people to be more open and have more conversations about characters, such as giving people more noms for writing a full paragraph. It has improved quite a bit from even a couple years ago where you could just leave your scores and write just one sentence or so. The people running the thread have made great strides to encourage a spirit of debate.

But yeah, some characters have suffered on there, either due to being obscure or barely having any Nintendo history and it's clear as day that a lot of people there, and on this board in general, are primarily Nintendo fans so when we rated Far Cry for example, it got murdered in chance and especially want due to Far Cry not having any games on Nintendo aside from one on the Wii.

With that said, we do encourage you to provide a link to the support thread and notify the people in that thread to go show support for their character/concept on their day. Because while some people do check out the support threads and do research before rating a character they are unfamiliar with, others don't. So we encourage participation from visitors to get a vast array of opinions and to get debates going.

Just look at the days for characters like Adol Christin for example. A bunch of his fans came in and gave solid arguments and even for Beatrice's recent day, there were some passionate fans that came in and gave a ton of info on why Beatrice/When They Cry would be a fun choice. Even if a character isn't likely, it's still a good opportunity to discuss different characters and advertise what cool content they would bring with them.

I totally get why RTC has a stigma in some regions of the internet as there are times where characters who have a decent chance of getting in are blasted with zeroes. I do wish some people there were a bit more open but at the end of the day, it is all opinions and overall it is a nice place to be at. I'm happy to be a part of it as it is civil for the most part and we are open to getting new members.
Yeah, I know it can be used as an advertisement thread as much as a debate thread. The thing is, it's ultimately still a debate thread, and just about everyone is gonna get slammed. Not everyone really wants to engage in the debate part. Personally speaking, I just dipped because I wasn't having fun with the argumentative side of things anymore. I'm interested in hearing what the characters can do, but a lot of the time I felt like that was put on hold in favor of low ratings and none of the interesting tidbits really shone through. I'm just not the kinda guy who goes through long debates; Not without feeling completely drained afterwards at least.

Sure, there can be some Adol moments... But I dunno, I feel like those are exceptions and not the rule. Or maybe I just can't handle the negativity well enough. Either way, RTC just lost it's charm for me.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think as we get closer to the end a lot the energy and passion for speculating or imagining fighters has faded after various deconfirmations of individually wanted characters.

If you’re at the point where few or none of your really favorite figures have really gotten in, then it would be hard to muster the kind of effort to really imagine out there selections. There’s a certain safety in not letting yourself get too invested in a scene that hasn’t really yielded to what you may have wanted in the past two and a half years.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Well, in the interest of new discussion topics, let's give it a try again.

Who does everyone want to see, or perhaps thinks is likely, that doesn't get talked about here much or at all?

I've posted mine a fair few times in the past, but for me Farmer Pete is still my most wanted in that regard. No one talks about him, but I think he could be really cool, fun, and unique. And in fact I think the mechanics for Steve could actually be reimplemented to an extent if they wanted to go the route of actually farming on the battlefield (though perhaps that wouldn't be necessary given that Villager already existed).

And while I would prefer Farmer Pete, they could also opt for a Rune Factory character which would allow for a more typical character with weapon and magic attacks. And then perhaps some specials that involve the monsters/animals in the game. And this could certainly be related to Rune Factory 5 coming soon were this to actually happen (I don't actually think it will, but it's fun to think about).

Other less talked about wants include: Pushmo, Goemon, Captain Syrup, Tingle (no one likes him lol), and Mocchi, Hare, or Suezo from Monster Rancher.

It still irks me that Monster Rancher 1 was released on the eshop in Japan and nowhere else. Would love to see this series make a return on the Switch.

Attachments

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
What does RTC stand for? I guess they're talked about more now, but Chosen Undead for sure. Any Dark Souls character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I got a new topic: Since SOOOOOOO many characters' Classic Mode bosses are the Hands (which everyone's been getting tired of), if there were an Ultimate Deluxe or even an update to Ultimate where some chars' bosses are changed, what changes would you make to the Classic routes?
Off the top of my head, I think the only classic route I'd change is Joker's to make it the following:

Round 1 vs Bowser
representing Kamoshida's Lust
@ Dracula's Castle
(because its the closest we have to kamoshida's medieval castle themed palace)

Round 2 vs Inkling
representing Madarame's Vanity ....mostly because of the art theme
@ Pictochat 2
(Either that or Mario Maker 2 to represent an Art Museum and the creations within)

Round 3 vs King DeDeDe
representing Kaneshiro's Gluttony
@ Fourside
(Because it's the most modern looking city that would presumably have a bank lol)

Round 4 vs Heavy Armor Daisy with player having Peach as an Ally
representing Futaba's Sloth...because Futaba ended up entering her own palace to fight alongside you, I figure a giant Daisy can be the distorted memory of her mother with Peach being Futaba who helps you fight
@ Battlefield version of Mushroomy Kingdom
(because I think the battlefield version just keeps it as a flat desert backdrop)

Round 5 vs King K. Rool
representing Okumura's Avarice
@ Dr. Wily's Stage
(closest I can think of to evil factory with annoying robots to constantly fight)

Round 6 vs Zero Suit Samus
representing Sae's Envy
@ WarioWare Inc.
(The random conditions that come up with different win/lose conditions is the best approximation of a Casino stage we can get)

Round 7 vs Joker in Tan/White Student outfit in a Stamina Match
representing Akechi's wrath
@ Battlefield version of Halberd
(acting as a Cruise Ship)

Round 8 vs Ganon Boss
representing Shido's Pride
@ Battlefield version of Rainbow Cruise
(because its a ship you're cruising the skies on..a cruise ship)

Alternative for round 8 or if given option of a 9th round: Round 9 vs Marx
representing Yaoldaboth & the Holy Grail
@ Mementos

And then the final change would just be that you don't get new persona after each 'palace' in the form of an ally in the next battle. it was a cute representation of Joker getting a new Persona from each palace, but Classic mode is easy enough; you don't need assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
As someone who's played classic Worms (2 + its expansion Armageddon) during my childhood days:

Worms in game move slowly - like a crawl, they're worms after all - and have an extremely low jump, to the point they often need additional weapons / abilities to get to higher places. In return though...

Well, the Worms pack so much heat it would put an entire ****ing squadron of Navy SEALS to shame. They have everything:

• Standard weapons from the trusty Bazooka, Uzis, grenades and airstrikes.
  • Karate moves for CQC, everything from a purely vertical Shoryuken to turning the Worms into their version of :ulthero: 's Kamikaze. Oh and the Prod for when you want to be extra disrespectful and push other Worms into the insta-kill water.
  • The sillier weapons, like exploding sheep (as well as exploding Super-Sheep), exploding Holy Hand Grenades, Exploding Grandmas...
  • Oh and then the "**** you weapons" like giant Donkey statues that come down from the sky (okay the Donkey statue is a cheat weapon, but still, could be a Final Smash).

So yeah, Worms' moveset potential would be insane.
So in other words, the devs injected... Something... Into their veins and then decided to look at the worms in their garden for about an hour and created a demented explosive acid trip
Hahaha

What the %$#@ is this game

Pillow

Smash Lord
Even RTC barely wanted to touch Spectrobes though :079:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the last two characters aren't any of these.
I mean, this is a relatively small group of characters when you consider the vast amount of options that exist. It wouldn't be hard to have one outside of them.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

My time has come

I'm not just gonna replace bosses, though; every now and then, I'll just change a route.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah, I know it can be used as an advertisement thread as much as a debate thread. The thing is, it's ultimately still a debate thread, and just about everyone is gonna get slammed. Not everyone really wants to engage in the debate part. Personally speaking, I just dipped because I wasn't having fun with the argumentative side of things anymore. I'm interested in hearing what the characters can do, but a lot of the time I felt like that was put on hold in favor of low ratings and none of the interesting tidbits really shone through. I'm just not the kinda guy who goes through long debates; Not without feeling completely drained afterwards at least.

Sure, there can be some Adol moments... But I dunno, I feel like those are exceptions and not the rule. Or maybe I just can't handle the negativity well enough. Either way, RTC just lost it's charm for me.
A similar daily character discussion thread but with the discussion veered more towards how a character would appear in Smash rather than their likeliness to appear would be pretty interesting.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
A similar daily character discussion thread but with the discussion veered more towards how a character would appear in Smash rather than their likeliness to appear would be pretty interesting.
Yeah, that's what I had in mind. Just a thread to get more attention, without the issues of ratings or debates. Give an overlooked character a couple days to themselves where people can ask about who they are, where they're from, and what they could do. I feel like that would also work as a way to deal with the staleness that's been plaguing this thread lately.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Who does everyone want to see, or perhaps thinks is likely, that doesn't get talked about here much or at all?
Ah yes, another opportunity to talk about Bill Rizer. Haven't had the chance to in a couple months.

I've already talked about his merits before. Legacy, Konami has a good relationship with Nintendo and hasn't gotten any characters since the base game, and is relevant again due to the Anniversary Collection and (the admittedly ****) Rogue Corps.

So I'll talk about his moveset potential now. A mechanic in Contra is that when you kill certain enemies, capsules will pop out and if you touch it, it will give you an upgrade to your gun. If Bill Rizer got into Smash, I'd imagine his gimmick would be that if he does enough damage to the opponent, a capsule will pop out and Bill can grab it to get an upgrade. They can also have capsules appear in the sky occasionally.

These upgrades range from spread shot, laser, poison gas gun, homing rockets, mine gun, and even a gun that shoots freakin' active chainsaws. In regards to his other attacks, his tilts and aerials will be him shooting his gun in 8 directions (Which would be a first in Smash I think), his jab can be a knife or a katana as a "get off me" option, and his specials can be accessory weapons like grenades with his recovery having him be on a rope carried by a helicopter.

Overall, he would have a bat **** crazy moveset and it excites me just thinking about it.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah I like that idea. There are a lot of characters that I think would be a ton of fun in Smash that have little to no chance of ever getting in. That’s one reason I don’t really follow the RTC thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom