• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, encouraging questions would be great, too! And discussion, and in general a more relaxed and creative vibe to contrast the more analytical focus of RTC. I kinda like the idea of calling it an "exploration thread". Like a "character exploration thread" or a "series exploration thread"... I'm not sure what exactly to say we're exploring, but I think that conveys the sort of feel we would be going for.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind being part of the group running it (or even the thread manager), but I'd want some time to figure out how best to organize it. I don't really think a direct copy of the RTC structure would work here, so we'd have to think about it.
The main image I had in mind was that we choose characters to talk about, then cycle through them every couple of days. Give everyone enough time in the spotlight, but not to the point that we all run out of steam. Though, the question remains as to how we choose the characters. Maybe just do a quick survey and see which names we get? After that, I suppose we can just have requests throughout the thread too.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Gen 5 at least has a stage, the Unova Champion League, and 7 pokeball pokemon: Oshawott, Kyurem, Zoroark, Keldeo, Snivy, Genesect, and Meleotta

Gen 8 just had 5 spirits from an event and that was it.
I wonder if they'll add a Pokemon from Sword and Shield. I'm not going to mention the spirit event for this case.

It's strange that they wouldn't add a single music from this game. Maybe I have bad tastes but I loved a good part of the OST.
It's also the first (ok, second) main-line Pokemon game on a Nintendo console. Not having real representation of any sort would be bizarre to say the least.

And then... We didn't have a stage for Incineroar. Despite the game breaking the old rules of having to defeat eight gyms and having an original setting. And the spirit selection wasn't huge either.

I'm not saying that Pokemon is poorly represented, it has a good music selection, as well as plenty of characters (the most actually, with 10).
But not seeing a Pokemon as DLC would be strange. However them skipping a generation wouldn't be a first. Just weird since they have a good occasion this time.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder if they'll add a Pokemon from Sword and Shield. I'm not going to mention the spirit event for this case.

It's strange that they wouldn't add a single music from this game. Maybe I have bad tastes but I loved a good part of the OST.
It's also the first (ok, second) main-line Pokemon game on a Nintendo console. Not having real representation of any sort would be bizarre to say the least.

And then... We didn't have a stage for Incineroar. Despite the game breaking the old rules of having to defeat eight gyms and having an original setting. And the spirit selection wasn't huge either.

I'm not saying that Pokemon is poorly represented, it has a good music selection, as well as plenty of characters (the most actually, with 10).
But not seeing a Pokemon as DLC would be strange. However them skipping a generation wouldn't be a first. Just weird since they have a good occasion this time.
I at least expected spirits for Decidueye and Lycanroc

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And then... We didn't have a stage for Incineroar. Despite the game breaking the old rules of having to defeat eight gyms and having an original setting
This isn't really a big argument as Ultimate had like 3 brand new stages, bringing back old content took up a lot of resources too so there wasn't much priority at all

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I loved Borderlands 2 and Gaige is one of my "never gonna happen" dream picks.
But a BL-rep overall would be pretty awesome. Just think about how a trailer would look like.

View attachment 313657
Gaige is my favorite Borderlands character as well. It also helps that I really like Luci Christian and Cheremi Leigh as voice actresses. It’s also Luci’s only video game roll I’m aware of but I’m sure there must be at least a few others I haven’t heard of.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord

Spirit Event as a consolation prize for being released too late for the main game seems par for the course to me. Pokemon is huge as always, but I struggle to see a Gen 8 Pokemon being one of either the E3 or final Smash reveal.

SKX31

Smash Master
So in other words, the devs injected... Something... Into their veins and then decided to look at the worms in their garden for about an hour and created a demented explosive acid trip
Hahaha

What the %$#@ is this game
It's ****ing amazing:

To add on to this, if they don’t want the character to just be named “Worm”, they’d most likely call him “Boggy B”, since Boggy B is kind of the “the Worm” of the franchise.

A thing you forgot to mention is just how self-destructive Worms are to themselves if your aim is bad, to a degree that makes Snake look like a wimp for having such relatively safe explosives. You can’t even safely shoot someone with a gun at point blank since the bullets have too much AOE!

The most recent main series game is Worms WMD. (The most recent game overall is Worms Rumble, which is a sidescrolling platformer-shooter spinoff.) Their main arsenal hasn’t changed, although there’s some new weapons of course. Probably the most notable recurring new thing from games later than Armageddon is the Sentry Gun, though, which fires at enemies it sees moving (so you can avoid setting it off by standing still, although that implementation wouldn’t work too well in Smash probably.)
TBF Snake, all Links and B-K can blow themselves up with their own explosives (also, Peach's bomb pull on the rare occassion she gets that). Adept Snake players will more often than not pull a grenade when they're hit in the air in order to stop them from getting combo'd - and they will C4 themselves if they need to get back to stage (so will skilled Links). B-K have a bit more advanced recovery / stall tactic with their Grenades since they need to drift towards their Grenades for it to work.

So yeah, Worms could work on that principle, just ramped up a ton.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say simply that it wasn't that prioritized.

Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen 's point about there being only 3 new stages is valid, especially since those three were Odyssey, BotW (the Switch launch titles) + Splatoon, a series that had none prior to Ultimate. Okay 4 if we count good ol' Vlad's castle, but still. This pretty much extended to the music and Spirits too, since there were other series that were prioritized (Castlevania got a ton of music and spirits for example).

Also, while Pokemon isn't impossible, the Spirit Event does have me pretty damn wary since the four Spirits involved there could've been packaged into a Challenger Pack if a Pokemon Challenger Pack was (or is) their intent. Hypotheoretically they could still be, but the timing feels a bit off since Nintendo / Sakurai talked about that Spirit Event probably with full knowledge regarding when Sword / Shield would come out. Which it did around the time Terry released and around the time FP2 negotiations finished.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I think the inherent issue with an 'exploration' thread is that RTC lets you influence who happens in the next ratings with nominations, meaning people feel a reason to stay beyond just what they care about, that bit of input incentivizes people to stick around even if a character they may not care about gets discussed
The main image I had in mind was that we choose characters to talk about, then cycle through them every couple of days. Give everyone enough time in the spotlight, but not to the point that we all run out of steam. Though, the question remains as to how we choose the characters. Maybe just do a quick survey and see which names we get? After that, I suppose we can just have requests throughout the thread too.
Honestly, I was thinking a nomination system for the exploration thread as well. I know I said just copying over the RTC structure wouldn't work, but that's mostly because we wouldn't be rating things. A nomination system, in addition to just being a way to decide what characters get discussed next, is also a good way to encourage the kinds of conversation we want to see in the thread. You see this with how RTC rewards people who give more in-depth rating explanations, and we could theoretically use it to encourage questions, answers, and/or movesets if we come up with the right rules.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yo I'm just curious, who else here is a Yuri Lowell fan? I've been playing Tales of Vesperia recently and the characters are probably my favorite part. Especially their interactions, they bounce off of each other so well. Plus it would be stellar to hear Furnace of War in Smash.
Yuri is my fav tales character just because of him and his partys interactions. Yuri is just so damn sassy, i love it

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly, I was thinking a nomination system for the exploration thread as well. I know I said just copying over the RTC structure wouldn't work, but that's mostly because we wouldn't be rating things. A nomination system, in addition to just being a way to decide what characters get discussed next, is also a good way to encourage the kinds of conversation we want to see in the thread. You see this with how RTC rewards people who give more in-depth rating explanations, and we could theoretically use it to encourage questions, answers, and/or movesets if we come up with the right rules.
Yeah, a nom system could work. Would have to be tweaked compared to RTC, though. 5 noms minimum sounds good; Maybe another five/ten for explanation writeups, movesets, stages, etc. Something to keep everyone engaged; As Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen mentioned, RTC's big advantage is that the noms encourage people to check by, even if they don't know/care about the character being rated.
I was just like

why Warframe of all things???
I'm just gonna assume he had one of those Smash dreams we keep having except it was too late to change the roster, so he just decided "%$#@ it, Spirit time."

D

Deleted member

This isn't really a big argument as Ultimate had like 3 brand new stages, bringing back old content took up a lot of resources too so there wasn't much priority at all
Yeah I wouldn't consider it a big deal either, but the lack of SwSh content when they knew it'd be releasing about month before this was a bit surprising. I mean, they could have easily just asked the Pokemon team for a couple of music tracks or a model or two to use for a Pokeball pokemon.

I mean, pokemon does have a lot of content, so I can't really complain that much, but....I miss Pokefloats.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, though I like the designs for most of these DLC stages, I'm a little disappointed that there's no real stage hazards for many of them.

-Mementos has the shifting blast zone walls and a subway train running through the bottom of the level, so it's awesome in my opinion, but the rest are lacking
-Hero's Yggdrasil stage only gets a Mimic if you've got items on; otherwise its just floating with the occasional island platform appearing & disappearing.
-Banjo's just rotates and that's it
-Terry's, while a cool concept with the fighting stage-style walls, was just an arena with Fatal Fury cameos; no hazards
-Gareg Mach stage was just a showcase of, well, Gareg Mach. It moved from area to area within the monastery with some destructible environments, but thats it...no hazards

-Min Min had some platforms that superpowered your jump and narrow ceiling spots, but that's it
-Steve's was basically just a 8bit version of mario Maker with slightly randomized level design each time
-Sephiroth's was just Final Destination with FF7's ending going on in the background; spoilers be damned
-Pythra was again just a battlefield-type stage where one side's ledge occasionally, slowly, turned so you couldn't hang from it briefly

Where are the more fun stages with random stuff that can happen like Pokemon stadium's shifting type arenas with effects going on? Or Rainbow Cruise where it's a side-scrolling level that requires a bit of platforming as you jump & fight? Or Legend of Zelda's boat that can be beached or fired upon by canons and such?

Come on, get creative! Give me a character who comes with a level that isn't just Battlefield or Final Destination reskinned or floating through the source material's environment!

Technomage

Smash Champion
Where are the more fun stages with random stuff that can happen like Pokemon stadium's shifting type arenas with effects going on? Or Rainbow Cruise where it's a side-scrolling level that requires a bit of platforming as you jump & fight? Or Legend of Zelda's boat that can be beached or fired upon by canons and such?
They're hated by the competitive community; therefore Sakurai doesn't really add those kinds of stages anymore.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Come on, get creative! Give me a character who comes with a level that isn't just Battlefield or Final Destination reskinned or floating through the source material's environment!
Probably budget constraints so they have to settle on simpler stages. That's my guess.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
They're hated by the competitive community; therefore Sakurai doesn't really add those kinds of stages anymore.
I think there's a bit more to it than that.

The new stages are in this weird-middle ground of almost enough to pass as legal stages but have one major thing holding them back. If they really wanted to cater toward the competetive community they would have excluded the ceilings on Spring Stadium, made Spiral Mountain's hazardless form be the one main platform with no jutting ledges, etc.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah I wouldn't consider it a big deal either, but the lack of SwSh content when they knew it'd be releasing about month before this was a bit surprising. I mean, they could have easily just asked the Pokemon team for a couple of music tracks or a model or two to use for a Pokeball pokemon.
I mean, the game wasn't out yet, the only times Smash included content from unreleased games was when said games got delayed for whatever reason, Binding Blade and Woolly World coming to mind
Terry's, while a cool concept with the fighting stage-style walls, was just an arena with Fatal Fury cameos; no hazards
I can't help but disagree, I feel super satisfied when I manage to combo people with wallbounces, KoF Stadium's unique dynamic makes it easily the best stage Smash has seen in years, especially in chaotic 4-8 player matches as there's plenty of room to have something done without feeling too claustrophobic

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I can't help but disagree, I feel super satisfied when I manage to combo people with wallbounces, KoF Stadium's unique dynamic makes it easily the best stage Smash has seen in years, especially in chaotic 4-8 player matches as there's plenty of room to have something done without feeling too claustrophobic
And honestly, the stage is unique enough that it doesn't need any other gimmicks. Maybe we can have similar stages with more direct hazards, but I'm fine with this being the Battlefield/Final Destination of traditional fighting game stages.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai wouldn't really care if solely the competitive community didn't like something, but there are some stage gimmicks like bosses and scrolling that most people don't like. That could influence their decrease. We haven't really got any of that with Ultimate's new stages.

It's not just because of the competitive community that we got things like omega versions, it's probably because the data showed how disproportionately FD and BF were chosen.

And yes, I know you, person who is going to reply to me saying you like scrolling stages, you do like them. Fair enough. But overall they're not very popular.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Yeah, a nom system could work. Would have to be tweaked compared to RTC, though. 5 noms minimum sounds good; Maybe another five/ten for explanation writeups, movesets, stages, etc. Something to keep everyone engaged; As Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen mentioned, RTC's big advantage is that the noms encourage people to check by, even if they don't know/care about the character being rated.
Well, one of the big things we're trying to encourage is questions, right? While if you don't know a character in RTC you can't really rate them, in the exploration thread, not knowing about the characters being discussed is half the fun, so to speak. Because of that, I wonder if we should leave abstaining out...

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

I mean, pokemon does have a lot of content, so I can't really complain that much, but....I miss Pokefloats.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, though I like the designs for most of these DLC stages, I'm a little disappointed that there's no real stage hazards for many of them.

-Mementos has the shifting blast zone walls and a subway train running through the bottom of the level, so it's awesome in my opinion, but the rest are lacking
-Hero's Yggdrasil stage only gets a Mimic if you've got items on; otherwise its just floating with the occasional island platform appearing & disappearing.
-Banjo's just rotates and that's it
-Terry's, while a cool concept with the fighting stage-style walls, was just an arena with Fatal Fury cameos; no hazards
-Gareg Mach stage was just a showcase of, well, Gareg Mach. It moved from area to area within the monastery with some destructible environments, but thats it...no hazards

-Min Min had some platforms that superpowered your jump and narrow ceiling spots, but that's it
-Steve's was basically just a 8bit version of mario Maker with slightly randomized level design each time
-Sephiroth's was just Final Destination with FF7's ending going on in the background; spoilers be damned
-Pythra was again just a battlefield-type stage where one side's ledge occasionally, slowly, turned so you couldn't hang from it briefly

On the topic of unique stage hazards, I'd love to see a Peggle stage where occasionally the cannon at the top fires a ball which deletes any pegs it hits. The flat pegs would serve as the main stage and the round ones would still interact with the ball but not the player. And if you fall in the Bonus Bucket at the bottom you don't lose your stock and instead screen warp to the top of the stage.

It'd probably be a new instant favorite for me. These are the kinds of stages I somewhat miss.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Reposting from my Discord server:

Decided to do a write-up regarding everything about Yuri since it’s been on my mind and I wanna organize it coherently after consulting some people, here it is:

-There is currently no Tales of content in Smash at all, not even in Namco Roulette which had Tekken and Katamari Demacy added
-Lloyd’s costume is currently MIA which could lead to us getting someone from the series the costume could come with
-Yuri is an extremely popular character and very marketable, being somewhat of a poster-child, he’s so popular in polls that he’s been banned from them and has the most merchandise of any Tales of protagonist and is the only Tales character to have a Nendoroid, this also applies towards the entire Vesperia party as they’re the only party to all have scale models
-He and other Vesperia characters frequently represent the series in crossovers typically, they has appeared in games such as Project X Zone 1 & 2, God Eater 3, Exos Heroes, Granblue Fantasy, and many more
-Vesperia is one of the most popular entries in the series overall, having sold 2.3m units worldwide and having lots of media such as a movie, manga anthologies, audio dramas, and even a stage play (only Abyss has one)
-Bamco has continued to market Vesperia 13 years after it’s release, it’s available currently on the most platforms of any Tales game period making it the most accessible entry to date, it’s also fairly relevant being rereleased in 2019

So that’s everything at the moment minus some rumors I’ve excluded as the validity of them are fishy, hope you enjoyed reading. If I missed anything please let me know!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, one of the big things we're trying to encourage is questions, right? While if you don't know a character in RTC you can't really rate them, in the exploration thread, not knowing about the characters being discussed is half the fun, so to speak. Because of that, I wonder if we should leave abstaining out...
How about double nominations when you ask a certain amount of questions? It can be questions like "How would they play? What would be a cool stage? Any good songs?" Or something else as long as it's related to the character such as say, "Boy howdy I like the sound of this Adol Christin fellow you're singing such high praises about, what game of the series do you recommend I try first?" I thought it'd be an idea to set a minimum requirement of questions for your nominations to count but that can get messy if someone already asked something you wanted to ask

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Here's a pretty cool idea for a Dark Souls stage.

Basically, it takes you through the world of Lordran, area by area.
When the match begins, you'll be in Firelink Shrine, with the crestfallen knight, Frampt, and the Emerald Herald (I thought she fit) in the background as cameos. The original sound effect will play as a "Firelink Shrine title card shows up, like in the games. This happens for all areas.

There will be a bonfire in every place you travel, and after a period of time, it will light. Hitting the bonfire will trigger mist to swoop in, warping everyone to the next area.

Every other area, however, will have a boss; they have special animations and attacks, and must be killed to move to the next area. Whoever lands the killing blow on the boss will get a temporary buff. I made some adjustments to make the stage fit better in Smash.

The areas are as follows. There are five in total:
1. Firelink Shrine
2. Undead Burg - Boss: Taurus Demon
3. Darkroot Garden - Boss: Great Grey Wolf Sif

In the Darkroot Garden, there is a hidden feature. Sif will drop the Covenant of Artorias Ring. If he does, and the player who killed him strikes the bonfire, the last area in this cycle will be different.

4. Anor Londo - Boss: Ornstein and Smough
5. Kiln of the First Flame - Boss: Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
6. (Hidden) Oolacile Township - Boss: Artorias, the Abysswalker

Once Gwyn is defeated, striking the bonfire will cause the end animation from Dark Souls, of the flame bring linked, to play. Blinding light will envelop the screen, and the cycle will begin anew.

All bosses will have boss bars, like in the original game. Corresponding stage cameos will appear in each area, but will fade out to indicate a boss fight.

All boss's entrance animations will reference the original game; for example, Gwyn will leap to the player, flying through the sky from the Kiln of the First Flame, Artorias will plunge from above and stab an enemy in the background, etc. There are too many to go over here, so I'll just keep it at that.

This is loosely inspired by something I saw on Twitter; I loved the idea, but no boss battles were included. I made a roughly similar stage concept that includes bosses and secrets.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
How about double nominations when you ask a certain amount of questions? It can be questions like "How would they play? What would be a cool stage? Any good songs?" Or something else as long as it's related to the character such as say, "Boy howdy I like the sound of this Adol Christin fellow you're singing such high praises about, what game of the series do you recommend I try first?" I thought it'd be an idea to set a minimum requirement of questions for your nominations to count but that can get messy if someone already asked something you wanted to ask
Something like bonus points for asking questions seems kinda forced if you ask me. But some sort of reward for engaging in active discussion / giving feedback sounds nice. An issue with RTC is it's mostly just people popping up and giving scores without much discussion outside of that.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Basically, it just takes you through the world of Lordran, area by area.
When the match begins, you'll be in Firelink Shrine, with the crestfallen knight, Frampt, and the Emerald Herald (I thought she fit) in the background as cameos. The original sound effect will play as a "Firelink Shrine title card shows up, like in the games. This happens for all areas.

There will be a bonfire in every place you travel, and after a period of time, it will light. Hitting the bonfire will trigger mist to swoop in, warping everyone to the next area.

Every other area, however, will have a boss; they have special animations and attacks, and must be killed to move to the next area. Whoever lands the killing blow on the boss will get a temporary buff. I made some adjustments to make the stage fit better in Smash.

1. Firelink Shrine

In the Darkroot Garden, there is a hidden feature. Sif will drop the Covenant of Artorias Ring. If he does, and the player who killed him strikes the bonfire, the last area in this cycle will be different.

Once Gwyn is defeated, striking the bonfire will cause the end animation from Dark Souls, of the flame bring linked, to play. Blinding light will envelop the screen, and the cycle will begin anew.

All bosses will have boss bars, like in the original game. Corresponding stage cameos will appear in each area, but will fade out to indicate a boss fight.

All boss's entrance animations will reference the original game; for example, Gwyn will leap to the player, flying through the sky from the Kiln of the First Flame, Artorias will plunge from above and stab an enemy in the background, etc. There are too many to go over here, so I'll just keep it at that. This is inspired by something I saw on Twitter; I loved the idea, but no boss battles were included. I made a roughly similar stage concept that includes bosses and secrets.

Thoughts?
This seems like a pretty fluid way of handling a traveling stage. It only happens once you trigger it, so there's some freedom in when it shifts. maybe we should make sure the bonfire's in a fairly out-of-the-way place, to avoid accidentally changing. The different bosses sound pretty interesting, too, though I'm not sure how many bosses we can realistically squeeze in.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I really miss Smash 64 and Melee style stages. There weren’t too many really annoying hazards but the stage designs and layouts made them a lot of fun to play around on. I feel like most stages since then have taken things too far in either direction. Either they play it too safe and the stage is basically a slightly different Battlefield like the Northern Crater, or they go too far in the other direction and make stages impossible to play on like The Great Cave Offensive, or the worst of both worlds with a boring layout and annoying hazards like Wily’s Castle.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
This seems like a pretty fluid way of handling a traveling stage. It only happens once you trigger it, so there's some freedom in when it shifts. maybe we should make sure the bonfire's in a fairly out-of-the-way place, to avoid accidentally changing. The different bosses sound pretty interesting, too, though I'm not sure how many bosses we can realistically squeeze in.
Yeah, I think they should be in a place that requires minor platforming or a small challenge to get to. My main goal was to reflect the adventure/story of the original game.

The actual stage layouts will be relatively flat for the most part. A couple have minimal platforms. This is to keep the stage from being a pain to play on; movement is easy, and when the bosses show up, they don't dominate the walkable space. They are big, but not too big, and just provide a fun challenge in the otherwise hazard-free, easily traversable flat space.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the amalgamated Wily's Castle would be a great stage were it not for that yellow jackass. 🤷‍♀️

Honestly I like Northern Crater too. I thought Midgar's layout being literally BF was a bit too safe, but then it does all that crazy stuff. Though in general I found 4's stages more miss than hit. It seemed like the peak of making them over-the-top with intrusive stuff, which is best, imo, in limited amounts.

Overall I'm a big fan of Ultimate's stages. There's just not enough. I mean I still think 64 had the best ones. The thing about Melee's were the great ones were amazing but the bad ones were, imo, really bad. Other than Poke Floats, which was both amazing and really bad simultaneously. :p

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Ah, I didn't think of the fact that someone else could snag questions. That could cause problems, so we need to keep it in mind going forward.

Anyway, double nominations for multiple questions... I see the logic - as it stands, asking one question would basically be equivalent of abstaining, so we should reward who are people out of the loop but still invested with more than that. However... I don't know, it seems a little awkward to me. It might encourage jamming all of your questions into one post, which I think would make for awkward flow to conversations?

Basically, it takes you through the world of Lordran, area by area.

1. Firelink Shrine

All boss's entrance animations will reference the original game; for example, Gwyn will leap to the player, flying through the sky from the Kiln of the First Flame, Artorias will plunge from above and stab an enemy in the background, etc. There are too many to go over here, so I'll just keep it at that.

This is loosely inspired by something I saw on Twitter; I loved the idea, but no boss battles were included. I made a roughly similar stage concept that includes bosses and secrets.

Thoughts?
Hey, look, this is exactly the sort of discussion I would want out of the Character Exploration Thread!

Having a lot of bosses makes sense for a Dark Souls stage, because I gather it's a very boss-oriented game; but I wonder if five bosses is a realistic amount. Then again, KOF Stadium had twenty cameo characters with a couple of animations each. Five bosses with, say, three attacks each and actual gameplay relevance might come out to the same amount of work in the end.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ah, I didn't think of the fact that someone else could snag questions. That could cause problems, so we need to keep it in mind going forward.

Anyway, double nominations for multiple questions... I see the logic - as it stands, asking one question would basically be equivalent of abstaining, so we should reward who are people out of the loop but still invested with more than that. However... I don't know, it seems a little awkward to me. It might encourage jamming all of your questions into one post, which I think would make for awkward flow to conversations?
Maybe there's a rule of one question per post, and you must wait for 2-3 people to ask their questions before you can ask another. The number could also be subtracted if someone posts a moveset/stage/tracklist/etc. idea without a prompt from a question.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah, they could just go with the BF and FD versions of each stage; no need to make more variety for those guys (which they would most likely hate, anyways).
Small correction: Northern Crater's a Small Battlefield / Kalos esque stage.

Signed, a certified Wi Fi Warrior / competitive nut that plays Cloud at an intermediate / adept Wi Fi level and watches tournaments. :4pacman:

Nah but seriously, I get what you're saying: although Techno, I don't think most competitive people hate casual stages in general, they (incl. me) just dislike it in a tournament setting where money or general pride is at stake and where two lost sets mean that a player's out. The stage choices in this context are meant to be as balanced as possible and allow players themselves to ban stages they don't feel comfortable playing on out of the "legal pool".

If anything, the competitive community right now is kinda divided on how to handle stages since there are at lest 9 considered valid (Northern Crater and Small Battlefield only added to the number really), so there's been talk of a rotating stage list.

I kinda agree that there are some stages that could be more interesting on a casual standpoint: Garreg Mach especially since it's pretty much based around showing around the Monastery but doesn't have much going for it. Some others are fine honestly : KOF Stadium's an amazing casual stage because of its walls and I honestly don't mind Spring Stadium in a casual setting - even if it's simple - since there are also drones that drop in items.

Still, it's difficult to strike that balance since it appears to be a kinda narrow line - too little stuff going on and the stage can look plain (even if matches can still wind up fun). Too much and one might have difficulty keeping up with all the random stuff going on.

Sakurai wouldn't really care if solely the competitive community didn't like something, but there are some stage gimmicks like bosses and scrolling that most people don't like. That could influence their decrease. We haven't really got any of that with Ultimate's new stages.

It's not just because of the competitive community that we got things like omega versions, it's probably because the data showed how disproportionately FD and BF were chosen.

And yes, I know you, person who is going to reply to me saying you like scrolling stages, you do like them. Fair enough. But overall they're not very popular.
Pretty sure that's also driven by those who see the competitive rulesets and want to follow for one reason or another (whether to improve themselves, because they're a fan of a certain known player etc.). That was noticeable both in Smash 4's / Ultimate's online as well as in more unofficial online modes like Slippi's - there will always be a section of lower-level / casual players who prefer to fight on competitive rulesets. Even if they're themselves a minority compared to the casual players who just want to fire up a 4 / 8 player match and see Sonic smack Mario right onto some Minecraft blocks.

As far as scrolling stages go - yeah, not sure how to handle that. I'm kinda thinking that blast zone walls could be one method of handling that, although that would no doubt lead to a lot of jank (especially when a stage scrolls vertically).

Having a lot of bosses makes sense for a Dark Souls stage, because I gather it's a very boss-oriented game; but I wonder if five bosses is a realistic amount. Then again, KOF Stadium had twenty cameo characters with a couple of animations each. Five bosses with, say, three attacks each and actual gameplay relevance might come out to the same amount of work in the end.
Honestly I kinda think that it would be enough - since a lot of stages have segments that take 2-4 minutes before they loop (Rainbow Cruise, Castle Siege, etc.). I also get the impression that the DS bosses wouldn't have annoying ways to avoid attacks (Yellow Devil's dissolution shenaningas, Metal Face or the Dark Emperor deciding to "lol bye" into the background) so those 5 bosses might take 4 minutes if they get focused on every now and then. It would be even faster if it was a 5 people+ battle, and then AT's / Pokeball Mons / certain Final Smashes etc. might do damage to the bosses too if they're activated in a match.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Maybe there's a rule of one question per post, and you must wait for 2-3 people to ask their questions before you can ask another. The number could also be subtracted if someone posts a moveset/stage/tracklist/etc. idea without a prompt from a question.
Sounds good. While it came across as a lot of overhead at first, I don't think this is the sort of thing you actually need to enforce very often. You just tell people about it, and they'll just, like, do it. I've never seen anyone nominate a character for rerating on RTC too soon after being rated, and I didn't even know it was a rule until now. So I think this would work out naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom