• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With some potential characters it’s often a case of doubt stemming from a lack Nintendo connection on top of other factors. Some likely think that with Master Chief that if it were just Halo having no appearances on Nintendo consoles or just belonging to a genre very niche in Japan he wouldn’t be discounted, but that having both (and Microsoft having already gotten a character in the second pass) that that pushes him into outright unlikely territory.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would honestly be happy with any of those Zeros lol. I’m not sure what it is, but characters with Zero in their names are usually really cool.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of Zer0, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone bring up Borderlands until now. There are a lot of fun characters from those games that could make for a cool Smash character honestly.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
"Master Chief would be a cool character."
"He would be! I'm just not sure if he'll get in because it would be unprecedented to have a character with no prior Nintendo experience, his series and genre aren't very popular in the country where the game is developed, and we've already gotten a Microsoft character this pass."
"Lol look at Smashboards gatekeeping again:4pacman:"

This thread is such a ****ing joke. I think it's time to admit that we're not even really speculating at this point. We're throwing out the characters who would get the most people screaming at computer screens or would be put into our own personal MUGENs, assuming "This could happen and it would be amazing if it did, therefore it will", and marveling when our bulletproof logic evitably fails to predict who's next.

You put together an argument using Sakurai's own comments and precedent in the roster to support a character that isn't conventionally 'hype' or to provide a counterpoint against a sacred cow like Dante or Master Chief? "Fan rules. I win. Bye-Bye!". Alternatively, "Yeah, but Joker and Sephiroth blindsided us, so clearly none of these patterns are relevant and every other character is going to be a fastball that subverts our expectations". People like to talk about how exciting it is that all of these new options are available for Smash, but this is easily the most boring speculation period I've personally been in because no one wants to talk about anything outside of about 12 characters who have been exhausted to death at this point.

Honestly, Smash threads on /v/ have become more enjoyable than here. Those are usually just chaotic dumpster fires, but at least someone comes in with an original idea once in a while, like with that Louie moveset where he commands Pikmin's monsters.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Speaking of Zer0, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone bring up Borderlands until now. There are a lot of fun characters from those games that could make for a cool Smash character honestly.
Yeah I think any of the Sirens could be really cool and fun.

I'm guessing the reason BL isn't brought up is because of unfamiliarity and Gearbox who has a shaky reputation and they are not as big as companies like Activison or Microsoft.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think there was a brief talk about Borderlands, but it was probably back during the first Fighters Pass' discussion. It hasn't been talked about much at all since; not sure why.

This thread is such a ****ing joke. I think it's time to admit that we're not even really speculating at this point. We're throwing out the characters who would get the most people screaming at computer screens or would be put into our own personal MUGENs, assuming "This could happen and it would be amazing if it did, therefore it will", and marveling when our bulletproof logic evitably fails to predict who's next.
A) Chill, man; take it easy

B) It's never been speculation. All its ever been was justifying your wishlist. That's why every time this thread has someone post a 'game' or a 'prediction' you see that people give the exact same answers they always do no matter what the scenario. This thread always has been, and always will be, nothing more than a gathering point for people to debate & discuss the chances for their most wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yo I'm just curious, who else here is a Yuri Lowell fan? I've been playing Tales of Vesperia recently and the characters are probably my favorite part. Especially their interactions, they bounce off of each other so well. Plus it would be stellar to hear Furnace of War in Smash.
Meeeee. Velvet is my most preferred Tales character, but Yuri is right after her and I guess Luke would come in third.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yo I'm just curious, who else here is a Yuri Lowell fan? I've been playing Tales of Vesperia recently and the characters are probably my favorite part. Especially their interactions, they bounce off of each other so well. Plus it would be stellar to hear Furnace of War in Smash.
Paging Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo

Where did you get this image?

I'd be pleasantly surprised it one of those gets in...
at least give me Octoling. RIP the Elma dream...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
"Master Chief would be a cool character."
"He would be! I'm just not sure if he'll get in because it would be unprecedented to have a character with no prior Nintendo experience, his series and genre aren't very popular in the country where the game is developed, and we've already gotten a Microsoft character this pass."
"Lol look at Smashboards gatekeeping again:4pacman:"

You put together an argument using Sakurai's own comments and precedent in the roster to support a character that isn't conventionally 'hype' or to provide a counterpoint against a sacred cow like Dante or Master Chief? "Fan rules. I win. Bye-Bye!". Alternatively, "Yeah, but Joker and Sephiroth blindsided us, so clearly none of these patterns are relevant and every other character is going to be a fastball that subverts our expectations". People like to talk about how exciting it is that all of these new options are available for Smash, but this is easily the most boring speculation period I've personally been in because no one wants to talk about anything outside of about 12 characters who have been exhausted to death at this point.

Honestly, Smash threads on /v/ have become more enjoyable than here. Those are usually just chaotic dumpster fires, but at least someone comes in with an original idea once in a while, like with that Louie moveset where he commands Pikmin's monsters.
Yeah, it does feel like SB's gotten pretty stagnant at this point. We've exhausted most of our topics... Or, maybe it just feels this way and we're just not open to any new topics. It's kinda hard to bring up any new characters, it seems. Just doesn't stick because people aren't interested or don't know enough.

Back in my early years, I floated up the idea of an RTC-like thread where we just talk about who the character is and what they could do, regardless of likelihood. Didn't quick start up, due to a mix of my less-experienced past self and the RTC runners and DM'd feeling that A: It would be a fair bit of work to run, and B: RTC already does something similar.

Seeing how much this thread has slowed down, I think I might try to revive that idea. Start up a thread where we cycle through characters every couple of days, and anyone curious can pop in and ask some questions. Would anyone be interested in that? I think it could help shake things up a bit.
I'd still prefer Lloyd, but I'm beginning to soften up on Yuri. I think it's a mix of me considering getting Vesperia to sate my action-RPG fix and this song I found:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Meeeee. Velvet is my most preferred Tales character, but Yuri is right after her and I guess Luke would come in third.
My feelings exactly. Yuri was an awesome protagonist and one of my favorite main characters in any JRPG, I just like Velvet even more. Luke was entertaining too though I did prefer him in the first half of the game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In a way, the last thing I want is for my MW to be "commonly speculated". When characters fall into that category, they can quickly become hated by the community.
Exhibit A: Crash. Basically the poster boy for the "safe" picks nobody can shut up about (Which kinda becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy).

Kinda worried Reimu's slipping towards that status too. She feels like one of the most divisive characters on this thread, and we bring her up every other week at this point. I feel like a lot of people are getting tired of her.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
In a way, the last thing I want is for my MW to be "commonly speculated". When characters fall into that category, they can quickly become hated by the community.
I agree but it would be cool if there was some middle ground. A lot of my most wanted characters are never talked about at all. To be fair, most of that is for good reason because a lot are either obscure, not the main character of their game, or both.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know I can’t help but find it funny that the rate a character is talked about here is inversely proportional to their thread size

most of the time at least

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Exhibit A: Crash. Basically the poster boy for the "safe" picks nobody can shut up about (Which kinda becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy).

Kinda worried Reimu's slipping towards that status too. She feels like one of the most divisive characters on this thread, and we bring her up every other week at this point. I feel like a lot of people are getting tired of her.
Same with Chosen Undead I feel. A kinda divisive character that's being brought up more and more as time goes by.

A few other people and I have posted a bit about them on SmashFAQs, and I think that respect for the character has taken a minor hit.

Like, immediately after I made a post explaining why I think the character could happen, some other posts showed up saying "what's with all the Chosen Undead bandwagoning lately?". The Smashboards support thread for them has 2 pages... Hardly bandwagoning in my opinion.

Still, if Dark Souls does make it in, I'll be too happy to care what other people think, lol.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

And here I am, preaching the gospel of Euden to anybody willing to listen...

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the last two characters aren't any of these.
I don't see any of these character happening except for the Sega and Namco characters, and that's a huge maybe for them.
I feel like we won't get a Pokemon at this point.
Octolings might be reserved for a bonus spot or a FP3 if that happens, I doubt they would have added Splatoon Mii costumes if they intended on adding a character from this series later down in the same pass.
Dixie Kong is neat but I don't see her as DLC, same with Bandana Dee. No reasonning, I just don't see them at all.
Ayumi is way too obscure at the moment, maybe for a later DLC.
I don't even know who it is on the far right.
Lloyd is probably gonna receive the costume treatement.

I'd say Chosen Undead, Yuri, DemiFiend and the Puyo Puyo girl have a shot. I don't expect any of them but I'm not excluding the possibility.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't see any of these character happening except for the Sega and Namco characters, and that's a huge maybe for them.
I feel like we won't get a Pokemon at this point.
Octolings might be reserved for a bonus spot or a FP3 if that happens, I doubt they would have added Splatoon Mii costumes if they intended on adding a character from this series later down in the same pass.
Dixie Kong is neat but I don't see her as DLC, same with Bandana Dee. No reasonning, I just don't see them at all.
Ayumi is way too obscure at the moment, maybe for a later DLC.
I don't even know who it is on the far right.
Lloyd is probably gonna receive the costume treatement.

I'd say Chosen Undead, Yuri, DemiFiend and the Puyo Puyo girl have a shot. I don't expect any of them but I'm not excluding the possibility.
Puyo Puyo girl
her name’s Arle

the one on the far right is Sol Badguy

SharkLord

Smash Hero
You know I can’t help but find it funny that the rate a character is talked about here is inversely proportional to their thread size

most of the time at least
Admittedly, that one's slowing down a bit too. They're running out of fresh characters to discuss, and not everybody really knows about the characters discussed either. In one server I frequent, it's kinda gained a reputation for "0% want, 0% chance, I don't know who this is, five noms for (X)." AT the very least, I can attest to that happening a while back when Amiya was rated. God, that day was a massacre...

Aside from that, some people just don't use that thread, presumably because it's just... I dunno, more competitive? When people are focusing on a score, it just seems like you need to work harder to "prove" your character's worth, I suppose. Even if this thread can be really stale, at least we don't have to deal with the scores. At least, that's how it goes for me.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Admittedly, that one's slowing down a bit too. They're running out of fresh characters to discuss, and not everybody really knows about the characters discussed either. In one server I frequent, it's kinda gained a reputation for "0% want, 0% chance, I don't know who this is, five noms for (X)." AT the very least, I can attest to that happening a while back when Amiya was rated. God, that day was a massacre...

Aside from that, some people just don't use that thread, presumably because it's just... I dunno, more competitive? When people are focusing on a score, it just seems like you need to work harder to "prove" your character's worth, I suppose. Even if this thread can be really stale, at least we don't have to deal with the scores. At least, that's how it goes for me.
I’ve seen a few being rated more than once too

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This makes sense. I've wanted Marx from Kirby for years, and it was great seeing him become a popular request when he returned in Star Allies. That was until he became a tool to bash Bandana Dee, who I also want. There's no reason they can't co-exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom