• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
I’m still a bit puzzled by Ultimate removing the height slider for miis
Wasn't that because it messed up the balancing? I recall a specific height being considered overpowered for one of them.
I think it was pretty much to make them more balanced/predictable. We may have not seen them in tournament play otherwise (although I think that was just one of the factors).
Yeah, the slider changed way more than just the height. With the small Brawler having some outright strange and powerful stats (longest initial dash etc.). Couple that with moves like Feint Jump (which is essentially :ultzss: 's Flip Kick but with additional mixup potential) and it could be particularily problematic. So Sakurai and co. standarized the whole thing.

True enough but realistically the continued discussion in threads often comes down to various (often outside) elements that spur further discussion, whether its fan art, appearances in other titles, or just back and forth talk about the relevant series in general, I've speculated plenty about what Dixie in Ultimate could be, but I'll fully confess I utilize it often just for discussion about DK titles, the series relationship with Nintendo, and spiritual sequels that have appeared in relation to it.

Character threads are often for their intended purpose but many people will use them because they are some of the best places to chat about old/dead/inconsistent franchises.
And that kinda tells a lot about what will likely happen once FP2 finishes - the support threads will likely still be active but as hubs for discussing the characters / series in question, perhaps rebranded as "X for Smash 6!"

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I was today years old when I learned that those three studios are independent, so I guess their strategy's working out.
I don't blame you for that haha

It's a similar situation with Nintendo and certain studios. It happened with Next Level Studios before Nintendo actually bought them, it happens with Intelligent Systems, which technically is an independent studio even if they only develop Nintendo games, and so on.

In this case I wouldn't be surprised if Sony ends buying Housemarque and Bluepoint. Those would be natural acquisitions and probably not very expensive, just like Next Level Studios was for Nintendo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If anything I think Reimu’s trailer can easily continue off Simon/Richter’s, being even a nod to the first Windows era game (and one of the most iconic), Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, wherein you stop a vampire from wreaking havoc

heck even make Dracula her classic mode boss as a stand in for Remilia

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wait... which Isaac are we talking about again? There's, like, 3 I know of that can potentially get into the game.
None, we were talking about Issac, a common spelling mistake for Isaac
Go to the filter tabs, and sort it by "Most replies/descending." At least, that's what I do.
Huh. Learn something new every day, even after being on this site for about 7 years

Goombaic

Smash Ace
....So? What does everybody think of Miitopia's Mii Maker? Imagine if Smash Bros. Mii Fighters' had access to it.
More Mii costumes is what I prefer, but having the makeup system would be neat and let us make some funny creations like so.
Other than that, it's not something I really want in the game.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Actually, genuine question, how'd you get that number? Because I swear, Nick being in the top 10 most active support threads feels flatout wrong as cool as that is
Go to the filter tabs, and sort it by "Most replies/descending." At least, that's what I do.
I had to look up who Nick was.

Yep! That's exactly what I did. It just occurred to me to check that out while I was watching y'all discuss support thread sizes.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Reimu: The camera shows the world of gensokyo with a invitation flying. Like Terry, the inhabitants of the world takes notice and starts chasing after it. It eventually lands in a shrine donation box and a maiden grabs it. Reimu perform her duties. Cue her showing her abilities and the stage as Gensokyo with cameos of other characters. Her Final Smash is her spell card put in her most well known one. End the trailer with the fighters visiting the shrine for donation by their world's currency.
My main issue here is that retreading the "Everyone fights for the envelope" gimmick is going to feel pretty overdone. It was fun the first time, but Min Min's trailer didn't have the same impact; It didn't linger on the failed attempts as long, and it lacked the funny references. With a Reimu reveal, it would feel especially hollow because everyone already knows it's gonna be Reimu. There aren't a ton of series like SNK, and Reimu's already been cemented as the main character for 24 years and counting. Unless Reimu isn't the character added (Which is a pretty slim likelihood anyways), the scuffle would feel pretty meaningless.

Aside from that, I think "Reimu Crosses the Border" would flow better, and also works as a nod towards the common motifs and symbolism of borders throughout the series. Heck, Reimu's entire job is upholding the border around Gensokyo. As a side note, her most well-known spell card is Fantasy Seal, which has been used as her Bomb in basically every game that has one.

Also you forgot the fact that at the end Reimu would need to have an expression of either pure bliss of demented mania because she almost never gets donations

Dukefire

Smash Master
My main issue here is that retreading the "Everyone fights for the envelope" gimmick is going to feel pretty overdone. It was fun the first time, but Min Min's trailer didn't have the same impact; It didn't linger on the failed attempts as long, and it lacked the funny references. With a Reimu reveal, it would feel especially hollow because everyone already knows it's gonna be Reimu. There aren't a ton of series like SNK, and Reimu's already been cemented as the main character for 24 years and counting. Unless Reimu isn't the character added (Which is a pretty slim likelihood anyways), the scuffle would feel pretty meaningless.

Aside from that, I think "Reimu Crosses the Border" would flow better, and also works as a nod towards the common motifs and symbolism of borders throughout the series. Heck, Reimu's entire job is upholding the border around Gensokyo. As a side note, her most well-known spell card is Fantasy Seal, which has been used as her Bomb in basically every game that has one.

Also you forgot the fact that at the end Reimu would need to have an expression of either pure bliss of demented mania because she almost never gets donations
Haven't dived deep into the world of touhou, so I wasn't too clear of building her trailer idea.

Now I want a trailer where a character just walks out to their mailbox, groggy after waking up, and finds the Smash envelope with the newspaper. They shrug and walk back into their house. Trailer over.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Now I want a trailer where a character just walks out to their mailbox, groggy after waking up, and finds the Smash envelope with the newspaper. They shrug and walk back into their house. Trailer over.
Funnily enough, that actually could work with Reimu. She's known for being an apathetic slacker, so it would be entirely in-character for her to open the donation box, find the invitation instead, and then uncaringly toss it away.

And while we're at it, it keeps coming back.

"%$#@ You Sign: You don't have a choice in the matter"

Last edited:
Where is this button, I must know

and this filter doesn't have the thing you describe...
I think it's in search in the top right. Click advanced search, search threads, and most replies is an option there.

I don't know if that's the same method, but that's what I've found.

Edit: or not, it requires a keyword I guess.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I had to look up who Nick was.

Yep! That's exactly what I did. It just occurred to me to check that out while I was watching y'all discuss support thread sizes.
Yeah, Nick is Phoenix's nickname in universe, I'm too lazy to type out Phoenix each time as I often forget if it's spelled oe or eo, moving to a non English country can do that to you, especially as the bird's spelled Feniks here lmao

SKX31

Smash Master
Funnily enough, that actually could work with Reimu. She's known for being an apathetic slacker, so it would be entirely in-character for her to open the donation box, find the invitation instead, and then uncaringly toss it away.

*Master Hand pokes at her head. Then reminds her that if she slacks too much she'll only get a Mii costume like :nessecho:. Sans just shrugs when he's brought up. * :4pacman:

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
More Mii costumes is what I prefer, but having the makeup system would be neat and let us make some funny creations like so.
Other than that, it's not something I really want in the game.
Yeah, it's not really as preferable compared to Costumes, but I'm still pretty impressed by what I've seen people do. Like Parappa the Rapper, Prince Peasley, Sam and Max, CD-i Ganon, even Bionicles.
And almost all of them are scarily accurate.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Idk I feel a Terry approach wouldn’t work for Reimu’s trailer. Reimu is the designated poster girl and focus, being in ALL Touhou games (the other being Marisa and I doubt they’d pick her over Reimu). Any others than those two usually rotate, among a pool of Sakuya, Sanae, Youmu, Reisen, Cirno and Aya (the last three have to date been playable in one game each not counting the decimal games)

now, a Terry/Min Min approach COULD work for League of Legends, like a bunch of popular picks like Yasuo, Jinx, Teemo, Ekko, Sona and the like scrambling to get the invite before Ahri is the last one standing and successfully grabs it
I feel like it worked particularly well for Terry because they went through other SNK IPs as well, like Art of Fighting, SamSho and KoF. So it either needs to be another situation like that, with multiple IPs from the same company, or like Min Min, with multiple characters from the same series.

You know, it would be kinda funny if it reflected in Reimu's victory screens too.

Like, she isn't happy because she won the match, she's happy because she can go back to slacking off.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I feel like it worked particularly well for Terry because they went through other SNK IPs as well, like Art of Fighting, SamSho and KoF. So it either needs to be another situation like that, with multiple IPs from the same company, or like Min Min, with multiple characters from the same series.
Yeah, the "Guess who?" reveals only work with an ensemble cast. If the game has an obvious character, it only works if we rule out the obvious one immediately, and even then in Spring Man's case he was cast into doubt by the guessing game suggesting that every ARMS character was on the table. WIth something like, say, Crash Bandicoot, it would fall apart because we all know we're getting Crash in the end.

You know, it would be kinda funny if it reflected in Reimu's victory screens too.

Like, she isn't happy because she won the match, she's happy because she can go back to slacking off.
Yep, just flopping down on the floorboards, heated by the purified torch-bearing Greco-American fairy from Hell.

...Yeah, it's a long story

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If I ever make a Smash game, Sans ignoring his Smash letter will be a running gag. His mailbox will become a not-so-small pile of Smash letters, and he's very OK with it continuing to grow.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
On a somewhat related note I feel like there's a lot of potential in shaking up the Smash envelope formula. It'd make for some fun trailers.

Like, picture something like Terry's trailer where everyone fights for it but it lands in a shredder or something, much to the horror of the would-be newcomers.
Or having two characters have the ol' tug-of-war with it and accidentally ripping it clean in half, which summons them both into the world of Smash.
Or having someone get the envelope, but they just shove it into the hands of someone else because they don't feel like joining.

There's a lot of potential here.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
now, a Terry/Min Min approach COULD work for League of Legends, like a bunch of popular picks like Yasuo, Jinx, Teemo, Ekko, Sona and the like scrambling to get the invite before Ahri is the last one standing and successfully grabs it
Wow I'd actually love this if this were to happen. Like ARMS, it really could be like 25 different realistic possibilities to pick from and unless there's leaks it really could be a crapshoot. With Terry I think most knew it had to be Terry and Minmin had a good chance from that contest and her general popularity, but for League while Ahri may be considered a frontrunner, league has had many poster childs and popular characters throughout its history that all could be considered if League got a rep, so it could actually be a surprise when the letter ends at a certain champion. Unfortunately for me, Skarner would not be that champion.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
On a somewhat related note I feel like there's a lot of potential in shaking up the Smash envelope formula. It'd make for some fun trailers.

Like, picture something like Terry's trailer where everyone fights for it but it lands in a shredder or something, much to the horror of the would-be newcomers.
Or having two characters have the ol' tug-of-war with it and accidentally ripping it clean in half, which summons them both into the world of Smash.
Or having someone get the envelope, but they just shove it into the hands of someone else because they don't feel like joining.

There's a lot of potential here.
This is just speculation, but maybe there's a problem with that because people would get hyped up from seeing their most wanted almost make it into the game, and then it gets snatched away in favor of another unceremoniously? I know it sounds silly but people get mad for no reason on the Web.
Who knew a simple demo would be the best possible promotion for the game?
Doesn't that happen like, all the time? For any game with a decent demo? Especially now that games are doing those test runs where players can actually email some feedback.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
So yeah, one of my internal bets I'm placing (Burger King meals are on the line, if I win, I get the Burger King) is that Fighter 11 will be a Pokemon fighter.

So let's pretend that that Pokemon character is indeed a "Legends: Arceus" fighter, even if the Legends Arceus SMASH content comes out in Smash before the actual game it's based on (not unlike Wooly World). This is one way I think it could go.

Decidueye, Typhlosion and Samurott. All fully evolved but playing different roles in battles as part of a "Pokemon Trainer 2". "That's right, the final fighter is actually 3 fighters".

Decidueye being more of a long-range fighter, like if you need to escape or whatever. Pit/Dark Pit style multi-jump, shooting arrows (not unlike Pit/Dark Pit), he's your guy if you wanna play "Keep-Away".

Typhlosion being your "I'm gonna get in your face and rack up damage" type. Flame Wheel and other such rush attacks and other moves designed more to rack up damage while zipping along the ground.

Samurott. He may move slow, he can't jump high, but this mon's one HELL of a guy! Pull out that sword and swing away for the power moves. Who needs speed and mobility when you can land a KO with that big sword in your leg?

PokeTrainer 2.png

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The scene opens over a jungle, morning time. We pan lower, just under the jungle canopy, and see Squawks flying rapidly through the jungle. Squawks weaves around Zingers and... whatever the snake enemies are called, through the trees, until reaching the DK Treehouse. Squawks lands on a perch, pulls the Smash envelope out of hammerspace, and tucks it in a makeshift wooden mailbox, and flips up that... part that indicates new mail. I don't know the anatomy of mailboxes. The camera stays on the mailbox as Squawks flies away in the distance.

Cut to Dixie waking up from one of the hammocks inside the DK Treehouse. She yawns and stretches and looks out the window to see the mailbox lever raised. Excitedly, she shakes Diddy, sleeping in the tire swing, awake. He sees and starts doing that jumpy clappy taunt thing he does. DK wakes up due to the commotion, and, rubbing his head as he wakes up, is hit in the back of the head by the tire swing in all the excitement. They rush outside to the mailbox. They get to the mailbox and the camera swings around, showing the mailbox has been opened, and the invitation is gone. The Kongs look at each other, confused.

The camera quickly pans down, traveling down the tree to the jungle floor. The camera moves back and forth, as if looking in both directions to see where the invitation went. In the distance, down the jungle path, is a cloud of smoke. The camera quickly darts down this path, catching up to the cloud, moving from behind the cloud to parallel with the path as it closes in on the source. As we get closer, a growing trail of black exhaust forms, and we pass Gnawtys coughing and spluttering from the smoke and exhaust. We reach the source of the cloud, and we see

Kicking up dust, billowing exhaust from the back of his bike is Waluigi, as he races down the jungle path, standing out of the bike's seat and waving the Smash invitation triumphantly in the air as he cackles to himself.

Tagline
WALUIGI: IS A REAL B******

Cue music:

See, I can write a trailer better than that last one we got. :troll:

Last edited:
While its not my favorite game by any stretch I know my ideal apathetic character for Smash:

Man, I love Squall. He's great. He'd be kind of funny in Smash, though, because the handle would keep him from swinging at anything less then max range. It's literally a pistol with a sword blade attached. I also have a hard time imagining Squall doing a ton of martial arts for quicker attacks. I'm sure he would work, but it would be interesting to see what his moveset would look like.
flips up that... part that indicates new mail. I don't know the anatomy of mailboxes.
It's called a flag.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I just realized Crash is in the top 10 biggest newcomer support threads on SB! WOOT!

It's actually really interesting to see what Smashboards is most interested in:

1. Geno
2. Shantae
3. Issac
4. Dixie Kong
5. Bandana Dee
6. Elma
7. Ashley
8. Phoenix Wright
9. Crash Bandicoot
10. Skull Kid

What a line-up that would be huh? 😁

(FYI I didn't include the SE and ARMS general support threads)
*Phoenix Wright is in the top ten
YYYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
It doesn’t mean much now, but it still feels so good.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Support thread size isn't a particularly good indicator of much. Maybe just who has the most emphatic fans on the site, lol. You've got to factor in that the earlier the character is seen to be out of the running, the more that is going to stunt their thread's activity. Secondly, some threads are carried by a few super active posters rather than more generalized activity. This, for ...some... reason, is often the case for cute and female characters. God forbid being a cute female character. I mean last time Lip's thread was in the top 10. Lip.

And lastly, thread size just... isn't a reliable indicator for overall popularity. I mean, looking at that top 10, Sora isn't present, but he would trounce several of those characters in a poll. Last time, the threads for Palutena and Little Mac weren't nearly as active as you'd expect for characters as popular as they were at the time, but actual popularity polls still reflected the affinity people had for those choices.

It's called a flag.

Thank you, I learned something today.

ZelDan

Smash Master

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Support thread size isn't a particularly good indicator of much. Maybe just who has the most emphatic fans on the site, lol. You've got to factor in that the earlier the character is seen to be out of the running, the more that is going to stunt their thread's activity. Secondly, some threads are carried by a few super active posters rather than more generalized activity. This, for ...some... reason, is often the case for cute and female characters. God forbid being a cute female character. I mean last time Lip's thread was in the top 10. Lip.

And lastly, thread size just... isn't a reliable indicator for overall popularity. I mean, looking at that top 10, Sora isn't present, but he would trounce several of those characters in a poll. Last time, the threads for Palutena and Little Mac weren't nearly as active as you'd expect for characters as popular as they were at the time, but actual popularity polls still reflected the affinity people had for those choices.

Thank you, I learned something today.
Basically this. I find the best thing you can do is look at as many polls for Smash you can to swing the broadest net. Obviously the quality of some of these polls is leaving something to be desired, but as a whole it is a good indication of when a character is really popular.

SKX31

Smash Master
Idk I feel a Terry approach wouldn’t work for Reimu’s trailer. Reimu is the designated poster girl and focus, being in ALL Touhou games (the other being Marisa and I doubt they’d pick her over Reimu). Any others than those two usually rotate, among a pool of Sakuya, Sanae, Youmu, Reisen, Cirno and Aya (the last three have to date been playable in one game each not counting the decimal games)

Wow I'd actually love this if this were to happen. Like ARMS, it really could be like 25 different realistic possibilities to pick from and unless there's leaks it really could be a crapshoot. With Terry I think most knew it had to be Terry and Minmin had a good chance from that contest and her general popularity, but for League while Ahri may be considered a frontrunner, league has had many poster childs and popular characters throughout its history that all could be considered if League got a rep, so it could actually be a surprise when the letter ends at a certain champion. Unfortunately for me, Skarner would not be that champion.
Such a approach would be interesting partly because some of the more popular characters are not the ones an outsider would expect. Like if that happened to LoL's sibling Dota 2, where the characters scrambling for the invite include:

• A skillshot abomination who has a voiceline directly ripped from Diablo. Fan favorite because of YouTube compilations hyping his skillshot up in the Dota 1 days.
  • A king of ghosts who was in the Dota 1 days literally Leoric from Diablo. (In)Famously a "One button Hero" back in the day, although he's been reworked to be more active nowadays.
  • One of the prototypical carries, and often dreaded because her stone gaze combined with damage dealing items makes her feel like an almost insurmountable force late game.
  • The prototypical support heroine, who's become somewhat of a fan favorite due to her intense sibling rivalry with another character and her having a cute wolf pup as her pet.
  • Dota 2's own :teemo: , a group of goblins whose entire kit consists of explosions. And invisible mines because why not.

Man, I love Squall. He's great. He'd be kind of funny in Smash, though, because the handle would keep him from swinging at anything less then max range. It's literally a pistol with a sword blade attached. I also have a hard time imagining Squall doing a ton of martial arts for quicker attacks. I'm sure he would work, but it would be interesting to see what his moveset would look like.
TBF he swings the gunblade extremely quickly and with some flair in Dissidia, combined with the fact that his swordswings pretty much explode with every single hit he manages to pull off. If anything I do imagine that a lot of his moveset would pull from that appearance.

His meatier attacks such as Revolver Drive and Rough Divide would likely be slower, but Squall has ways to confirm into them in Dissidia (okay, some with assists extending the combos, but still).

Technomage

Smash Champion
While its not my favorite game by any stretch I know my ideal apathetic character for Smash:

Ah yeah, I'd totally like to see Squall in the roster; we'd get our first vibroblade user. :D

Also, I came up with a gimmick for Squall, where after you release the A button for a Smash attack, if you press A again when the blade hits, you deal critical damage, just like in the games.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Such a approach would be interesting partly because some of the more popular characters are not the ones an outsider would expect. Like if that happened to LoL's sibling Dota 2, where the characters scrambling for the invite include:

• A skillshot abomination who has a voiceline directly ripped from Diablo. Fan favorite because of YouTube compilations hyping his skillshot up in the Dota 1 days.
  • A king of ghosts who was in the Dota 1 days literally Leoric from Diablo. (In)Famously a "One button Hero" back in the day, although he's been reworked to be more active nowadays.
  • One of the prototypical carries, and often dreaded because her stone gaze combined with damage dealing items makes her feel like an almost insurmountable force late game.
  • The prototypical support heroine, who's become somewhat of a fan favorite due to her intense sibling rivalry with another character and her having a cute wolf pup as her pet.
  • Dota 2's own :teemo: , a group of goblins whose entire kit consists of explosions. And invisible mines because why not.

TBF he swings the gunblade extremely quickly and with some flair in Dissidia, combined with the fact that his swordswings pretty much explode with every single hit he manages to pull off. If anything I do imagine that a lot of his moveset would pull from that appearance.

His meatier attacks such as Revolver Drive and Rough Divide would likely be slower, but Squall has ways to confirm into them in Dissidia (okay, some with assists extending the combos, but still).
GOD squall was so fun to play in 012

I wish 012 would get an enhanced port, I vastly prefer that to NT which prioritized style over substance

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

In general, I find that characters who are discussed frequently on this thread don't have exceptionally active support threads. Characters like Hayabusa and Lloyd have the luxury of being brought up pretty frequently right here, so they barely need to be discussed on their own threads, while characters like Shantae and Rayman aren't usually taken as seriously on this thread, so their fanbases instead end up gathering on their support threads. This was the same deal with Mac and Palutena. They were both very popular, but were already discussed everywhere else, so their support threads weren't as active.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom