• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Another factor with Little Mac and Palutena is how they were pretty much just a waiting game. Nearly everyone was in agreement that Mac was coming after the Gematsu leak correctly foretold the first three characters, and Palutena... I mean, most people expected a Kid Icarus character anyway. These two were really safe picks in general so most discussion in their threads would boil down to how they would work, etc.

Meanwhile you had active threads like K. Rool and Ridley, who saw frequent discussion both in and out of the thread but harbored a lot more anxiety and strong feelings lmao. Those guys had to fight a lot harder for what they wanted.

And all four of those characters were pretty much my MWs at the time lmao, barring Chorus Kids.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
With no disrespect intended towards Byleth or their fans, It would be nice if the most newest moment of a fighter reaction to happen at Nintendo NY is one that isn't an uncomfortable silence.
Or maybe, everyone at that showing were such huge Byleth fans, they wanted to celebrate their inclusion by emulating how Byleth is a silent protagonist. :4pacman:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If you want to talk about misleading character threads, behold the the Megaten thread.

A huge amount of supporters, (most of which have had their accounts deleted or haven't posted in years)
1619648426713.png

Nearly 20 pages of posts. (Filled by the same 5-6 people)
1619648487507.png

And quality original content. (Made by like, one guy).
1619649182241.png

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Another factor with Little Mac and Palutena is how they were pretty much just a waiting game. Nearly everyone was in agreement that Mac was coming after the Gematsu leak correctly foretold the first three characters, and Palutena... I mean, most people expected a Kid Icarus character anyway. These two were really safe picks in general so most discussion in their threads would boil down to how they would work, etc.

Meanwhile you had active threads like K. Rool and Ridley, who saw frequent discussion both in and out of the thread but harbored a lot more anxiety and strong feelings lmao.
I mean, even before Palutena was leaked via Gematsu she was one of the biggest fan requests for 4. Was she safe? Yes, but fan polls show she was one of the bigger names even before the leaks.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In general, I find that characters who are discussed frequently on this thread don't have exceptionally active support threads. Characters like Hayabusa and Lloyd have the luxury of being brought up pretty frequently right here, so they barely need to be discussed on their own threads, while characters like Shantae and Rayman aren't usually taken as seriously on this thread, so their fanbases instead end up gathering on their support threads. This was the same deal with Mac and Palutena. They were both very popular, but were already discussed everywhere else, so their support threads weren't as active.
I think that kinda leads into my earlier mention of how the larger threads develop communities of their own. They discuss things in that thread and not in a general thread, so they end up growing their reply count that way. If the reply count was directly proportional to how much a character is discussed overall and not just in their thread, Crash would be at the top.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I mean, even before Palutena was leaked via Gematsu she was one of the biggest fan requests for 4. Was she safe? Yes, but fan polls show she was one of the bigger names even before the leaks.
Well yeah, I said people were confident we were getting a Kid Icarus character, not that she was safe because of Gematsu. Palutena was part of the second wave of characters provided in the Gematsu leak anyway, while Mac was part of the first. By the time she was included she was already considered a fairly safe bet.

Nor did I deny that Palutena was very popular. I’m not sure where you’re coming from since this doesn’t have much to do with what I said. Palutena was one of my MWs as well, I’m well aware of how popular she was.

Palutena did have a notable leak that sparked even more confidence in her though - which ended up being fake, but that 3DS screencap with her and Mario convinced a lot of people.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I remember we spent a lot of time talking about Chrom's boring ass for a character that was considered "safe", post-Gematsu. :p

Ironic that a character so middle-of-the-road was so polarizing.

But now, some seven years later and with Chrom on the roster, I feel the time has come to pat myself on the back for completely ignoring the one part of Gematsu I didn't like and retaining Robin/Roy on my prediction rosters instead, simply because I found Chrom to be a snooze. :shades::teeth::awesome::smirk:

Here's to refusing to accept things you don't like and still winding up fine.

I mean eventually the karma came to get me and now we have like seventeen FE characters and Chrom, but the ride was fun while it lasted.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I remember we spent a lot of time talking about Chrom's boring ass for a character that was considered "safe", post-Gematsu. :p

Ironic that a character so middle-of-the-road was so polarizing.

But now, some seven years later and with Chrom on the roster, I feel the time has come to pat myself on the back for completely ignoring the one part of Gematsu I didn't like and retaining Robin/Roy on my prediction rosters instead, simply because I found Chrom to be a snooze. :shades::teeth::awesome::smirk:

Here's to refusing to accept things you don't like and still winding up fine.

I mean eventually the karma came to get me and now we have like seventeen FE characters and Chrom, but the ride was fun while it lasted.
One of these days karma is bound to get me with a Gen 8 Pokemon too. Dread it, run from it, destiny still arrives.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I just know that one day, an Assist Trophy will be promoted in the same game as DLC, whether I like it or not. If that isn't potential karma, then God help me.

Btw, on the subject of Chrom, I know a way to make him a bit more unique: by making his side special Luna / Sol, in which Chrom dashes forward similar to Ike's Quick Draw.

Luna activates when you tap B or hold it before the charge is complete. Chrom simply dashes forward and launches the opponent; it's functionally identical to Ike's Quick Draw.

Sol activates when you hold B for long enough. Chrom dashes forward and launches the opponent high upwards. Letting go of B right when the tip of his sword flashes, the attack restores damage equal to half the amount of damage done to the opponent.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I just know that one day, an Assist Trophy will be promoted in the same game as DLC, whether I like it or not.

If that isn't potential karma, then God help me.
That is assuming that AT's will still be a thing, and not replaced by something else. :4pacman:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I just know that one day, an Assist Trophy will be promoted in the same game as DLC, whether I like it or not.

Potentially, that one day will come in a month or Two.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Delzethin put out a video speculating who could be the tenth DLC fighter (which will probably be the E3 reveal).

I figure that it gives us something to discuss.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

Not to be insulting because I try not to speak ill over funny crossover party game but in what way does that exactly anger you? I mean from N3ON's comment they didn't particularly like the character Chrom and for me, this one's obvious, I don't like the recent Pokemon games which would make our disdain towards a respective character make sense, kind of...

But I can't really see why you'd be upset at the idea of an Assist Trophy character getting promoted unless coincidentally, all the Assist Trophy characters are ones you don't like which at that point, it's not a AT issue but a coincidental character issue. You've previously mentioned it's because it would be a waste of precious dev time but perhaps do you think that perhaps this isn't really an issue for Sakurai and his skeleton crew working on the DLC?

It's definitely the strangest reasoning I've heard against a character and I don't want to make you feel like your opinion doesn't matter but you seem to get very agitated at the idea that Sakurai would be wasting dev time when that does't really affect anyone but Sakurai and his team and that's even if he would see it as one.

From my point of view, if they already have assets for a character, it would be easier to work on them. You could argue that if Shadow got into Smash, the work spent on adding him as an assist trophy would actively make the development process quicker when making him into a full fighter.

I just don't want to see people "rage" about what should be a funny video game where Sonic gets to punch Mario into Minecraft. I've been there with Hero (and honestly I still hate his gimmick lollll ****KK RNG) but I've learned to just accept that whatever happens was always gonna happen and there's nothing I can do to change that except enjoy playing as the characters I do like. And if I didn't like any characters in Smash Bros., why would I be playing the game?

(Yes I'll try to swallow in my pride if we do indeed get Cinderace.)

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Delzethin put out a video speculating who could be the tenth DLC fighter (which will probably be the E3 reveal).

I agree with that last point about Dante and Jonesy. Either one could still be in but those statements mean nothing.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Not to be insulting because I try not to speak ill over funny crossover party game but in what way does that exactly anger you? I mean from N3ON's comment they didn't particularly like the character Chrom and for me, this one's obvious, I don't like the recent Pokemon games which would make our disdain towards a respective character make sense, kind of...

But I can't really see why you'd be upset at the idea of an Assist Trophy character getting promoted unless coincidentally, all the Assist Trophy characters are ones you don't like which at that point, it's not a AT issue but a coincidental character issue. You've previously mentioned it's because it would be a waste of precious dev time but perhaps do you think that perhaps this isn't really an issue for Sakurai and his skeleton crew working on the DLC?

It's definitely the strangest reasoning I've heard against a character and I don't want to make you feel like your opinion doesn't matter but you seem to get very agitated at the idea that Sakurai would be wasting dev time when that does't really affect anyone but Sakurai and his team and that's even if he would see it as one.

From my point of view, if they already have assets for a character, it would be easier to work on them. You could argue that if Shadow got into Smash, the work spent on adding him as an assist trophy would actively make the development process quicker when making him into a full fighter.

I just don't want to see people "rage" about what should be a funny video game where Sonic gets to punch Mario into Minecraft. I've been there with Hero (and honestly I still hate his gimmick lollll ****KK RNG) but I've learned to just accept that whatever happens was always gonna happen and there's nothing I can do to change that except enjoy playing as the characters I do like. And if I didn't like any characters in Smash Bros., why would I be playing the game?

(Yes I'll try to swallow in my pride if we do indeed get Cinderace.)
Even if we don't end up getting an Assist Trophy, I actually want the next Smash game to also introduce Mario as an Assist Trophy. It'd be so funny to summon him in a random match as he tries to jump on and enemies and instantly spike them. Would also be a nice way of showing how having Assist Trophies is just a cool thing that doesn't hurt the possibility of seeing them become fighters.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Even if we don't end up getting an Assist Trophy, I actually want the next Smash game to also introduce Mario as an Assist Trophy. It'd be so funny to summon him in a random match as he tries to jump on and enemies and instantly spike them. Would also be a nice way of showing how having Assist Trophies is just a cool thing that doesn't hurt the possibility of seeing them become fighters.
Maybe 8-bit Mario could make for a good loophole?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Also, here are some fan-made Smash victory screens. Some of them go on for a bit too long, and the model that they use for Krystal looks really weird, but it's neat to see these characters in motion to see what they could look like in Smash.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Maybe 8-bit Mario could make for a good loophole?
Nah but that's what I mean, just use his in-game model and animations. Just don't let him appear if someone is already Mario. It's just to poke a funny hole at speculation and to basically remove the stigma of Assist Trophies. If the biggest gaming character is also one, it shouldn't be so bad to see other characters there and maybe your favorite could still become a fighter.

I really like Assist Trophies. Playing with them and seeing them cameo makes them more frequent to me than many other fighters on the roster, having Mario be both an assist and fighter would be interesting, remove the stigma, and be a funny joke in my opinion.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Also, here are some fan-made Smash victory screens. Some of them go on for a bit too long, and the model that they use for Krystal looks really weird, but it's neat to see these characters in motion to see what they could look like in Smash.

I saw that video before. I find Dante's and Scorpion's victory screens funny. I also like Freddy's.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Saw this great one for Crash Bandicoot a while back.

Et0oW-FWgAExhzG.jpeg.jpg

Though I would prefer if the Game/Smash Announcer to call him "Crash Bandicoot" rather than just "Crash".

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Me: don’t say it

Me: LMAO REIMU HIT THE DAB 😂👌🔥💯

...kill me

in all seriousness I like the “post victory” fanfare for her

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Support thread size isn't a particularly good indicator of much. Maybe just who has the most emphatic fans on the site, lol. You've got to factor in that the earlier the character is seen to be out of the running, the more that is going to stunt their thread's activity. Secondly, some threads are carried by a few super active posters rather than more generalized activity. This, for ...some... reason, is often the case for cute and female characters. God forbid being a cute female character. I mean last time Lip's thread was in the top 10. Lip.

And lastly, thread size just... isn't a reliable indicator for overall popularity. I mean, looking at that top 10, Sora isn't present, but he would trounce several of those characters in a poll. Last time, the threads for Palutena and Little Mac weren't nearly as active as you'd expect for characters as popular as they were at the time, but actual popularity polls still reflected the affinity people had for those choices.

Thank you, I learned something today.
Whoa whoa whoa! What are you doing to me here?! Coming at me with LOGIC and VALID REASONING?!

Seriously though, I do think thread size AT LEAST tells us who is popular among active SB users. Everyone knows we have the best taste. :shades:

Even if you consider the super active and passionate fans, it's still going to take a lot of people for the threads to get that large.

I'm sure I could be wrong though. There's a lot of factors to consider.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Cool video. The part about Sol is brief but well explained, I think he managed to sell the character very well for people who doesn't know much about him or Guilty Gear.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Delzethin makes great videos but I don’t really agree with a lot of his character choices. I find most of the characters he highlights to be kind of safe and boring personally. Sol is cool though and Crash does deserve to get in for his legacy. Still, I appreciate all the effort he puts in and they are entertaining to watch.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It was a well made video, but it’s definitely made for more casual speculators. Rayman & Sol aren’t that crazy sounding to us, but it probably got some of his more casual fans thinking.

At this point, I don’t think we’ll be getting anymore new companies. But those three in his video are some of the more likely candidates if we do. Maybe some League of Legends as well.

D

Deleted member

You know what would be funny? People expecting huge reveals like Crash or Master Chief at E3 and they end up revealing niche characters like Nightmare and Rash as the last two fighters.
It'd be funny, but I doubt it. Sakurai hinted we have to wait a little longer for news; that likely means they're waiting til E3 for the reveal. If they purposefully wait for a large event like that, there's a good chance it'll be someone noteworthy.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You know what would be funny? People expecting huge reveals like Crash or Master Chief at E3 and they end up revealing niche characters like Nightmare and Rash as the last two fighters.
I would much prefer Nightmare and Rash to Crash and Chief. The Battletoads are my brother’s most wanted characters and I think they would be amazing Smash characters. Nightmare is also awesome and he’s probably in my top 25 most wanted characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom