• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah and they don't matter, just like how Lyn fans don't matter, Elma fans don't matter, Ghirahim fans don't matter, etc. ****, I had to go and double check cause fun fact, the Rex support thread has had literally zero activity in a month. That just so happens to be veeeery similar to what happened with the Decidueye thread once Ivysaur got confirmed, "Oh nice got a grass type, don't care about this one anymore". Just replace grass type with XB2 rep.
Geez, do you have to be such a jerk about it? Like, this is just... straight up mean. And only because XC2 got content instead of XCX?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah and they don't matter, just like how Lyn fans don't matter, Elma fans don't matter, Ghirahim fans don't matter, etc. ****, I had to go and double check cause fun fact, the Rex support thread has had literally zero activity in a month. That just so happens to be veeeery similar to what happened with the Decidueye thread once Ivysaur got confirmed, "Oh nice got a grass type, don't care about this one anymore". Just replace grass type with XB2 rep.
To be fair, after we get an actual XC2 rep AND a reason for why it's not Rex, there just isn't much to discuss anymore regardless of whether or not you like the outcome. We have XC2 in Smash, we're not getting Rex for the time being, and we don't have any info on the next Xenoblade game, so what can they even discuss? The weather?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I actually haven’t seen the Decidueye thread active since Legends Arceus’s announcement

and yet the Ashley (base game Assist Trophy) thread gets random bouts of activity

and the Shantae thread is almost ALWAYS at the top for some reason

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be fair, I'm not sure that argument works, since we got Incineroar, despite getting Charizard, too (both of whom are Fire starters).
Nono, you're misunderstanding it, people didn't argue that we couldn't get 2 grass types, people went "Awww yis got a grass type!" And proceeded to stop caring about Decidueye. This also happened to the 3H House Leaders, all 3 being much more popular than Byleth even, yet their threads are wastelands too. It's the same thing that happened to countless others time and time again

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I actually haven’t seen the Decidueye thread active since Legends Arceus’s announcement

and yet the Ashley (base game Assist Trophy) thread gets random bouts of activity

and the Shantae thread is almost ALWAYS at the top for some reason
I'd imagine the Shantae thread just developed it's own community at this point. All the really big threads seem to discuss stuff on their own terms, even if it's not related to their characters, because they're just that big now. I'd imagine that's why the Ashley thread wakes of from time to time, too; It's just gained enough steam to keep going, even if it's infrequent.

ZelDan

Smash Master
When it comes to character threads I think what can keep them going or not going depends on how the series itself is doing outside of Smash.

Like, one big reason the Shantae thread was able to surpass the Isaac's page count after such a long time is probably due to the fact that, you know, Shantae still actually gets games and stuff and thus they have stuff to actually talk about outside of Smash, while Isaac/golden Sun fans on the other hand...internally weeps

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
With character threads there very often is a difference between not confirmed and deconfirmed. That’s the heart of the contrast between a Dixie Kong Thread and Rex thread for example.
There’s also “deconfirmed by AT/Pokeball/Post launch Spirit Event/Final Smash while not being Chrom” cries in Fiora and “deconfirmed cause another character took their place”

Rex, Alucard, Decidueye and the House Leaders fall into the latter (even though Alucard is also an AT). Lycanroc too I guess

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
With character threads there very often is a difference between not confirmed and deconfirmed. That’s the heart of the contrast between a Dixie Kong Thread and Rex thread for example.
Idk man those Geno and Isaac support threads are real active despite the same situation as Rex, House Leaders, Ghirahim, etc. Meanwhile Pythra's social thread ended up getting a lot more activity, because the Rex thread migrated there as XB2 fans got what they wanted. They're satisfied with what they got as the two are significantly more popular while having a total overlap and don't care about Rex anymore

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Idk man those Geno and Isaac support threads are real active despite the same situation as Rex, House Leaders, Ghirahim, etc. Meanwhile Pythra's social thread ended up getting a lot more activity, because the Rex thread migrated there as XB2 fans got what they wanted. They're satisfied with what they got as the two are significantly more popular while having a total overlap and don't care about Rex anymore
Tbf the new Geno thread isn’t as active as the old one following the... incident. And without their “leaker” resident anymore... yeah.

speaking of leaks I hope May brings some, so tired of the same topics over and over so a leak can certainly shake things up

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Those threads haven't been NEARLY as active as they used to due to various reasons. Stop trying to imply nobody cared about Rex.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Tbf the new Geno thread isn’t as active as the old one following the... incident. And without their “leaker” resident anymore... yeah.
Yeah but it still sees daily activity, every day, I'll see it pop up in the "What's new" section on the site's homepage. It's less active but still pretty damn active for a thread of a character's who's only major appearance was over 20 years ago while directly getting a non playable role as DLC
Those threads haven't been NEARLY as active as they used to due to various reasons. Stop trying to imply nobody cared about Rex.
I'm not saying nobody cared about Rex, I'm saying nobody cares about him anymore. House Leaders are also a near perfect comparison, only difference being that the least popular character got in for 3H yet those threads shriveled up and died too. Again, I'm directly comparing characters I would love to see in Smash with Rex so I feel I'm pretty unbiased here

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I just realized Crash is in the top 10 biggest newcomer support threads on SB! WOOT!

It's actually really interesting to see what Smashboards is most interested in:

1. Geno
2. Shantae
3. Issac
4. Dixie Kong
5. Bandana Dee
6. Elma
7. Ashley
8. Phoenix Wright
9. Crash Bandicoot
10. Skull Kid

What a line-up that would be huh? 😁

(FYI I didn't include the SE and ARMS general support threads)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I just realized Crash is in the top 10 biggest newcomer support threads on SB! WOOT!

1. Geno
2. Shantae
3. Issac
4. Dixie Kong
5. Bandana Dee
6. Elma
7. Ashley
8. Phoenix Wright
9. Crash Bandicoot
10. Skull Kid

Tfw Neku’s SE and he was excluded :c 2B’s thread is way more popular than his anyway... Sora’s and Geno’s too

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In other news, Starset has released a new song
What does this have to do with anything? Well, it's made specifically for a game called Arknights - You might've heard it mentioned a couple times before. What does that have to do with Smash? Aside from the fact that it's a game and therefore has a chance of being added to Smash by definition (Even if it's not that far beyond zero), absolutely nothing, I just like Starset.

I mean, I guess we could talk Arknights now so this post is still on-topic, but I dunno, it's kinda hard to get rarely-discussed things to catch on around here. Either people aren't curious or they just don't know enough to add on.

But ah well, who cares. I got to shill Starset and that matters. Now to feel sad because in the already extremely slim scenario of Arknights in Smash it probably won't have the song because it's licensed

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

1. Geno
2. Shantae
3. Issac
4. Dixie Kong
5. Bandana Dee
6. Elma
7. Ashley
8. Phoenix Wright
9. Crash Bandicoot
10. Skull Kid

Pfft, nobody's interested in Issac, hell, there's not even an Issac thread at all

SKX31

Smash Master

1. Geno
2. Shantae
3. Issac
4. Dixie Kong
5. Bandana Dee
6. Elma
7. Ashley
8. Phoenix Wright
9. Crash Bandicoot
10. Skull Kid

Hey, I wouldn't mind that - you have some more straightforward characters (Crash, Dee), some that utilize unique playstyles (Phoenix, possibly Elma) and some that would be delightfully strange (Ashley, Skull Kid).

Most partial towards Phoenix because he's an amazing character himself period and his UMvC3 appearance convinced me he could work in a fighting game.

Aaaand surprise coincidence:

ZelDan

Smash Master
Pfft, nobody's interested in Issac, hell, there's not even an Issac thread at all
That's because Issac is a piece of crap character that only losers like; I don't see what anybody could see in that revulsive trash. I'm glad that worthless character Issac doesn't have a thread. **** Issac.

Last edited:
Aaaand surprise coincidence:

This actually explains a lot. Why expand the online for an old game? Because it's getting a new release in a region Nintendo is trying to get a foothold in, and they want it to look like a good value to that market. So fix up some of people's old criticisms before you ship it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Speaking of Character threads, One of the most interesting/sad/cool cases I've seen is that apparently Cloud did not have a support thread before he got in as Smash 4 DLC. I understand he was considered a never ever character, but I Imagine at least a thread be made

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's because Issac is a piece of crap character that only losers like; I don't see what anybody could see in that revulsive trash. I'm glad that worthless character Issac doesn't have a thread. **** Issac.
When the post got ****ed up I thought it was supposed to be Isaac ****talking Issac only for you to typo the damn name

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking of Character threads, One of the most interesting/sad/cool cases I've seen is that apparently Cloud did not have a support thread before he got in as Smash 4 DLC. I understand he was considered a never ever character, but I Imagine at least a thread be made
What other characters didn’t have a support thread before their reveal? I feel like Piranha Plant was one of em

Ivander

Smash Legend
....So? What does everybody think of Miitopia's Mii Maker? Imagine if Smash Bros. Mii Fighters' had access to it.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
....So? What does everybody think of Miitopia's Mii Maker? Imagine if Smash Bros. Mii Fighters' had access to it.
I’m still a bit puzzled by Ultimate removing the height slider for miis

7NATOR

Smash Master
What other characters didn’t have a support thread before their reveal? I feel like Piranha Plant was one of em
Plant was one of them, and I think Richter didn't have one either.

Those are the only characters (at least Smash 4 - Ultimate) that didn't have a support thread that got in, though I think we could still potentially get another character that doesn't have a support thread here

Wasn't that because it messed up the balancing? I recall a specific height being considered overpowered for one of them.
I believe it was the Small and Fast Mii brawler being OP. I even heard they could have been considered one of the best characters, if not the best in the game. After that they dropped height changing

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well no. I guess the astericks bolded the middle of my sentence or something like that. or maybe some other weird **** happened.
Oh that's because putting words between 2 asterisks puts the bold font on, it always screws up in quotes lmao
I’m still a bit puzzled by Ultimate removing the height slider for miis
That was for balance purposes, the big issue with balancing Miis was that the sizes changed the stats which made them too unpredictable. Like, **** on Hero all you want, but when you see your opponent pick Hero on the loading screen, you know what stats and size to deal with. By having a consistent size and stats, you have a better idea of what you're dealing with, see how the Miis didn't get banned in Ultimate after being banned in Smash 4. Online functionality for Miis probably helped that too lmao

Dukefire

Smash Master
I have been working on this for a while, so I hope you enjoy it.
Here are some ideas for character trailer if they should appear in part of the last 2 invitations.

Master Chief: Samus, Dark Samus and Ridley battle out on a war of space pirates. Samus was starting to get overwhelmed when bullets from nowhere flies to the closest space pirates. Camera moves towards a man in armor shows up and eventually Master Chief Equips for Battle. Montage of Master Chief's arsenal with the stage and eventually finishes with Samus and Master Chief teaming up with the covenant arriving as reinforcments.

Crash Bandicoot: Queue the Mascot guy as Crash Bandicoot with the REAL crash traveling to foil Neo Cortex's evil plans again. However, this time he isn't alone as other villains from unknown regions. Mascot soon finds an invitation and is founded by the mascots of Mario and Sonic. Crash is teamed up with the other heroes to fight and a montage of Crash Bandicoot Cyclones a Storm and Coco Bandicoot coming in as an echo. The scene concludes with Crash, Mario, and Sonic having a time on Wumpa Island.

Eggman: The crew is fighting more clones in the number of Robots. They are getting the upper hand with sonic destroying most of them and slowing a mech is powering up with a familiar laugh. Sonic soon is ambushed by shield and notices the figure saying Sonic, it is finally time for me to get rid of you and your gang. Sonic prepared to take on the figure with E.G.G.M.A.N has a Master Plan. The rest of the trailer goes with eggman showing his latest invention of the Egg Mobile and weapons. One last scene shows the gang struggling and Eggman unleashing the Death Egg Robot with the Smash Ball's Energy.

Shantae: The camera shows a town with a Arabian like feel after panning the dry desert. The scenario can either play with Ganondorf arriving with his dark army or another pirate attack. A figure from a nearby building hears the commotion and heads out. The town is under siege with the ongoing attack with the threat continuing and soon animals appear cleaning out the minions. Soon, the animal transforms back and Shantae is Ret-2-Go. Trailer ends with Shantae repelling the attack while making some new friends.

Rayman: the island is having a time of their life until fighters from unknown lands arrive to create havoc. A figure notices the fight and winds up to seems to be a giant fist. The fighters about to clash when that fist flies to get their attention. Rayman swings for a fight. Rayman lets loose the attacks from his series along with the home island. Final Smash would either call Moskito or help from his allies for the final attack. Trailer ends back with Rayman relaxing with other fighters.

Reimu: The camera shows the world of gensokyo with a invitation flying. Like Terry, the inhabitants of the world takes notice and starts chasing after it. It eventually lands in a shrine donation box and a maiden grabs it. Reimu perform her duties. Cue her showing her abilities and the stage as Gensokyo with cameos of other characters. Her Final Smash is her spell card put in her most well known one. End the trailer with the fighters visiting the shrine for donation by their world's currency.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
True enough but realistically the continued existence of threads often comes down to various (often outside) elements that spur further discussion, whether its fan art, appearances in other titles, or just back and forth talk about the relevant series in general, I've speculated plenty about what Dixie in Ultimate could be, but I'll fully confess I utilize her thread often just for discussion about DK titles, the series relationship with Nintendo, and spiritual sequels that have appeared in relation to it.

Character threads are often for their intended purpose but many people will use them because they are some of the best places to chat about old/dead/inconsistent franchises.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I really just want to see Issac fans get what they want at this point. They deserve it. (I know you're not serious just FYI lol)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have been working on this for a while, so I hope you enjoy it.
Here are some ideas for character trailer if they should appear in part of the last 2 invitations.

Master Chief: Samus, Dark Samus and Ridley battle out on a war of space pirates. Samus was starting to get overwhelmed when bullets from nowhere flies to the closest space pirates. Camera moves towards a man in armor shows up and eventually Master Chief Equips for Battle. Montage of Master Chief's arsenal with the stage and eventually finishes with Samus and Master Chief teaming up with the covenant arriving as reinforcments.

Crash Bandicoot: Queue the Mascot guy as Crash Bandicoot with the REAL crash traveling to foil Neo Cortex's evil plans again. However, this time he isn't alone as other villains from unknown regions. Mascot soon finds an invitation and is founded by the mascots of Mario and Sonic. Crash is teamed up with the other heroes to fight and a montage of Crash Bandicoot Cyclones a Storm and Coco Bandicoot coming in as an echo. The scene concludes with Crash, Mario, and Sonic having a time on Wumpa Island.

Eggman: The crew is fighting more clones in the number of Robots. They are getting the upper hand with sonic destroying most of them and slowing a mech is powering up with a familiar laugh. Sonic soon is ambushed by shield and notices the figure saying Sonic, it is finally time for me to get rid of you and your gang. Sonic prepared to take on the figure with E.G.G.M.A.N has a Master Plan. The rest of the trailer goes with eggman showing his latest invention of the Egg Mobile and weapons. One last scene shows the gang struggling and Eggman unleashing the Death Egg Robot with the Smash Ball's Energy.

Shantae: The camera shows a town with a Arabian like feel after panning the dry desert. The scenario can either play with Ganondorf arriving with his dark army or another pirate attack. A figure from a nearby building hears the commotion and heads out. The town is under siege with the ongoing attack with the threat continuing and soon animals appear cleaning out the minions. Soon, the animal transforms back and Shantae is Ret-2-Go. Trailer ends with Shantae repelling the attack while making some new friends.

Rayman: the island is having a time of their life until fighters from unknown lands arrive to create havoc. A figure notices the fight and winds up to seems to be a giant fist. The fighters about to clash when that fist flies to get their attention. Rayman swings for a fight. Rayman lets loose the attacks from his series along with the home island. Final Smash would either call Moskito or help from his allies for the final attack. Trailer ends back with Rayman relaxing with other fighters.

Reimu: The camera shows the world of gensokyo with a invitation flying. Like Terry, the inhabitants of the world takes notice and starts chasing after it. It eventually lands in a shrine donation box and a maiden grabs it. Reimu perform her duties. Cue her showing her abilities and the stage as Gensokyo with cameos of other characters. Her Final Smash is her spell card put in her most well known one. End the trailer with the fighters visiting the shrine for donation by their world's currency.
Idk I feel a Terry approach wouldn’t work for Reimu’s trailer. Reimu is the designated poster girl and focus, being in ALL Touhou games (the other being Marisa and I doubt they’d pick her over Reimu). Any others than those two usually rotate, among a pool of Sakuya, Sanae, Youmu, Reisen, Cirno and Aya (the last three have to date been playable in one game each not counting the decimal games)

now, a Terry/Min Min approach COULD work for League of Legends, like a bunch of popular picks like Yasuo, Jinx, Teemo, Ekko, Sona and the like scrambling to get the invite before Ahri is the last one standing and successfully grabs it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom