• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Thought that I'd share this. On the official Nintendo website, Nintendo shared a top 10 list of NES online games to try. Some notable ones include Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon, and StarTropics. I don't automatically expect this to connect to Smash, but it's cool to see Nintendo giving these games a shout out. Especially StarTropics, as it's such an obscure title.

The fact that they chose Double Dragon II and Ninja Gaiden is kind of interesting, too. They're the only 3rd party games mentioned, despite many other 3rd party titles being present on NES online (Ghosts n Goblins, Gradius, etc.). They even credit both Koei Tecmo and ArcSys at the bottom of the page. Take it as you will, I just found it interesting.
Is this the part where I make a joke about corporate buyouts?

Technomage

Smash Champion
Thought that I'd share this. On the official Nintendo website, Nintendo shared a top 10 list of NES online games to try. Some notable ones include Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon, and StarTropics. I don't automatically expect this to connect to Smash, but it's cool to see Nintendo giving these games a shout out. Especially StarTropics, as it's such an obscure title.

The fact that they chose Double Dragon II and Ninja Gaiden is kind of interesting, too. They're the only 3rd party games mentioned, despite many other 3rd party titles being present on NES online (Ghosts n Goblins, Gradius, etc.). They even credit both Koei Tecmo and ArcSys at the bottom of the page. Take it as you will, I just found it interesting.
Oh, Double Dragon's mention gave me a great idea for a Double Dragon stage: A basic stage with no hazards, OTHER THAN the hordes of enemies that are out to kill you, but you can kill back. A game from the beat 'em up genre could be a great way to add a stage where you kill lots of enemies. Maybe we could even see Bimmy and Jammy (and no, I don't mean "Billy and Jimmy" this time) as stage bosses?

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Oh, Double Dragon's mention gave me a great idea for a Double Dragon stage: A basic stage with no hazards, OTHER THAN the hordes of enemies that are out to kill you, but you can kill back. A game from the beat 'em up genre could be a great way to add a stage where you kill lots of enemies. Maybe we could even see Bimmy and Jammy (and yes, this time I meant to say Bimmy and Jammy) as stage bosses?
Isn't that just Mob Smash

Not that that's a bad thing

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Well that’s because Hayabusa and Sol Badguy is coming to Smash.

At least, in my heart.
:urg:

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yeah honestly now I'm starting to think the absence of certain tourneys might be more
[Tournament event] From 4/30 (Friday), we will be holding "High-Kakekage! Flags and Bombers" for 3 days! Do you want to sneak a score with Special Flag or make a big explosion with Bomber !? The more you win, the more luxurious spirits you get. #Smash Bros SP

I Don't know why, but this Picture makes me think about how Sephiroth could have had a move where he summons Meteor. Would e cool to add in future Smash games

In any case, Yeah I'm starting to think we are gonna get Another 2010's character, and Another Swordfighter as one, or both of the Last 2 Fighters though. the Absence of both of these tourneys is still mysterious

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Is Ryu not "deconfirmed"? It seemed pretty apparent, but some people are adamant that Yasuda wouldn't be "in the know".
Oh he's in the know. ..he's just LYING. But I won't fall for his trickster's ways!

Well that’s because Hayabusa and Sol Badguy is coming to Smash.
You misspelled Kunio, but you're completely right!

I wasn't expecting Mike Jones as the bonus character though...

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Maybe Yasuda isn't in the know? Maybe he lied to the interviewer to dodge the question (he was asked about Smash six times in the span of a week. People were definitely on to him.)? Maybe it was a translation error (kinda sus that 5 out of 6 interviews say "we're waiting on an invitation," while only one interview "deconfirms" him)? Or maybe he just straight up isn't in Smash? In my judgement, the interview doesn't seem any more damning than Phil Spencer or that one SNK employee's statements. Hayabusa's chances are still up in the air as far as I'm concerned.

I will say that this NES thing is pretty interesting. It probably doesn't really mean anything, but it is funny how ArcSys and Koei Tecmo are probably the most notable Japanese companies without characters in Smash. If Hayabusa and Sol were our last two characters, I would not be surprised (nor would I be disappointed lol).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m still hoping we get Lu Bu for Koei. I’ve always loved Warriors games and Lu Bu would be awesome. I’d also gladly accept other Warriors characters like Gan Ning, Zhu Rong, Xiahou Dun, Kotaro Fuuma, Ina, Oda Nobunaga, or even Orochi.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I’m still hoping we get Lu Bu for Koei. I’ve always loved Warriors games and Lu Bu would be awesome. I’d also gladly accept other Warriors characters like Gan Ning, Zhu Rong, Kotaro Fuuma, Ina, and Oda Nobunaga.
It's super unrealistic, but I'd love to see a Nioh character. Those games are ****ing fantastic and William could have an awesome moveset (and could be our first samurai). Also funny enough, Nobunaga could rep both Nioh and Warriors lol

But if we're getting a Koei Tecmo character, anyone other than Hayabusa would be blasphemy. To me, it's like having any other Capcom character before Mega Man, or a different Namco character before Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Today in 1980, the first game & watch "Ball" (Game & Watch: Ball) is released !! Game & Watch is the origin of Nintendo games and can be said to be a great step toward a breakthrough. I've always thought that this person with a ball had bun hair since it was released, but is it okay to call it a nose? #Smash Bros SP

cashregister9

Smash Hero
In any case, Yeah I'm starting to think we are gonna get Another 2010's character, and Another Swordfighter as one, or both of the Last 2 Fighters though. the Absence of both of these tourneys is still mysterious
I mean to play Devil's Advocate here

There is no proof that those 2 tournaments will even exist.

The 2010's one is the only one that is even slightly eyebrow worthy.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I mean to play Devil's Advocate here

There is no proof that those 2 tournaments will even exist.

The 2010's one is the only one that is even slightly eyebrow worthy.
I'm glad you playing Devil's Advocate. So I will present my case with these tourneys

-The 2010's one will most likely exist because there were other Era tourneys for the 80's, 90's, and 2000's, and there are enough characters to run a 2010's tourney, especially with FP2 adding 3 more characters (with more to come?)

-Swords are Iconic to the Smash Franchise, for better or worse depending on who you are. With so many Swordfighters, and with FP2 adding 2 characters who are Iconic for their Sword, I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be a tourney based of that. Them doing a TNT tourney, but no Swordfighter tourney is like a McDonalds having a Salad, but no Burgers

Just like there was a No Projectile based tourney, there was a Projectile based tourney later on. I think in the case of 2010's, that similar case will come to pass.

These tourneys can come anytime before the next reveal. However the more tourneys they do that's not one of these tourneys, the more Suspicious I become of their absence, and the more I start to believe that we might either get another 2010's character, Another SwordFighter, or a Combination of both

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Oh, Double Dragon's mention gave me a great idea for a Double Dragon stage: A basic stage with no hazards, OTHER THAN the hordes of enemies that are out to kill you, but you can kill back. A game from the beat 'em up genre could be a great way to add a stage where you kill lots of enemies. Maybe we could even see Bimmy and Jammy (and no, I don't mean "Billy and Jimmy" this time) as stage bosses?
There’s got to be an “Abobo 4 Smash” thread around here somewhere...

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I think one more villain will be added into the pass. They will probably use the rivals intros which includes the heroes and villains one more time. This time they will add Cloud vs Sephiroth to finish off that final note. Please don't let it be in donkey's kong house this time. There is no villains only tourney so far.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think one more villain will be added into the pass. They will probably use the rivals intros which includes the heroes and villains one more time. This time they will add Cloud vs Sephiroth to finish off that final note. Please don't let it be in donkey's kong house this time.
I think that the people who focus on that rivals intro keep forgetting that the only reason they did it a second time was because "lol both were made by Rare so we'll do the exact same thing again". They're not gonna do another one as they can't really rehash the same trailer a third time. Like, I'm pretty sure Sephiroth not having that is a good sign that they wouldn't do it again and honestly, that'a a good thing

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I think that the people who focus on that rivals intro keep forgetting that the only reason they did it a second time was because "lol both were made by Rare so we'll do the exact same thing again". They're not gonna do another one as they can't really rehash the same trailer a third time. Like, I'm pretty sure Sephiroth not having that is a good sign that they wouldn't do it again and honestly, that'a a good thing
Damn. I lost I still believe that they will use the intro one more time

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Damn. I lost I still believe that they will use the intro one more time
If they do that intro another time then it's probably Dixie Kong or, even better, Conker. They're likely not going to use it for another villain, however. The intro seems to be intentionally referential to DK's House.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If they do that intro another time then it's probably Dixie Kong or, even better, Conker. They're likely not going to use it for another villain, however. The intro seems to be intentionally referential to DK's House.
Wait so wouldn't that mean Banjo is a villain? Can't believe Sakurai agrees with me on that

cothero

Smash Lord
True, though who's to say that language barriers wouldn't prevent a few more western characters?
Well, conversations to get those two characters got long enough, so yeah, not saying it would prevent another western character to get in, but it could make things difficult. Also, the only western character i expect now is another one from Microsoft.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There was some Ryu Hayabusa conversations happening a while back and I missed them but I did want to throw this in: I don't think that Yasuda was lying and I do think that Yasuda is absolutely in the know of what would happen with the franchise. However, although that makes him incredibly unlikely seemingly, I'm not going to rule him out completely. I've stood by the fact that interviews are useless to speculation because at this point anything that is said about any character, likely or not, is often considered a hint or a disconfirm and I don't think it's really that simple. We'll see where this goes moving forward but I do find it strange that 4/5 interviews with Yasuda where Smash was brought up he said "we're waiting on our invitation" and then there's that weird odd one out that basically says he ain't happening. I dunno, I find that weird. I'm not optimistic about Hayabusa's chances anymore, obviously, but I don't necessarily think he's impossible now either.
Wait so wouldn't that mean Banjo is a villain? Can't believe Sakurai agrees with me on that

Why must you hurt me so.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
There was some Ryu Hayabusa conversations happening a while back and I missed them but I did want to throw this in: I don't think that Yasuda was lying and I do think that Yasuda is absolutely in the know of what would happen with the franchise. However, although that makes him incredibly unlikely seemingly, I'm not going to rule him out completely. I've stood by the fact that interviews are useless to speculation because at this point anything that is said about any character, likely or not, is often considered a hint or a disconfirm and I don't think it's really that simple. We'll see where this goes moving forward but I do find it strange that 4/5 interviews with Yasuda where Smash was brought up he said "we're waiting on our invitation" and then there's that weird odd one out that basically says he ain't happening. I dunno, I find that weird. I'm not optimistic about Hayabusa's chances anymore, obviously, but I don't necessarily think he's impossible now either.

Why must you hurt me so.
He steals valuables and kidnaps people to satisfy his kleptomania, god knows where he gets those skulls from too...

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Today in 1980, the first game & watch "Ball" (Game & Watch: Ball) is released !! Game & Watch is the origin of Nintendo games and can be said to be a great step toward a breakthrough. I've always thought that this person with a ball had bun hair since it was released, but is it okay to call it a nose? #Smash Bros SP
Ah yeah, who could forget Joker and Enderman from those old G&W games? They were my favorite and I'm glad the series as so much rep in Ultimate.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think one more villain will be added into the pass. They will probably use the rivals intros which includes the heroes and villains one more time. This time they will add Cloud vs Sephiroth to finish off that final note. Please don't let it be in donkey's kong house this time. There is no villains only tourney so far.
With two fighters (Maybe three if the bonus theory is true), I honestly don't see it with how few spots are left and the vast amount of characters yet to be added.
So, are we anticipating a new character in may or june?
Definitely June. Sakurai stated on his latest column we would have to "Wait a bit longer" for the next fighter(s).

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
The final DLC trailer will just show 88 characters crammed in DK's treehouse.
Bonus points if DK's TV is showing either the Menu like the TV in Background Matchmaking:

Or if DK / Diddy are flipping through the channels and accidentally stumble upon something like a HBox yell (volume warning, he screams loudly when he pops off).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Or if DK / Diddy are flipping through the channels and accidentally stumble upon something like a HBox yell (volume warning, he screams loudly when he pops off).
Sorry if that's out of nowhere, it's just something I've been wondering for a while: Is there a specific reason why you go out of your way to put something related to competitive Smash in literally all of your replies? For example, I can see why you talk about Nintendo's management and region strategies because those can be relevant to the discussion but I don't get why you always raise the topic of the competitive scene even when nobody is talking about it.

Like, I get it if that's your thing, it just feels a little weird when someone talks about a character's chances to be a newcomer and you start talking about the gameplan, tier placement, and notable players of a similar character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom